Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Six years ago I got married to a man I knew was not the right person for me. I was young and got so caught up in planning a wedding and making everyone else (family/friends) happy, that I forgot to listen to my heart...I didn't pay attention to all of the warning signs. After I got married, our relationship cmpletely fell apart. He had an affair with a younger girl and we fought constantly. We separated and at the same time, I began a new job where I met and became close to another man. Through a work project, we became very close and opened up to each other about our personal lives. He too was in a marriage that was barely surviving. One thing led to another and we ended up having an affair together which resulted in divorce for both of us with our spouses at the time. A couple year later, we got married. I'm not sure what happened. I honestly can't pinpoint a specific situation or problem or fight...I don't know why it went sour. I don't know why I became interested in someone else or why he became interested in someone else. Well..most likely he became interested in someone else because I pushed him away. We ended up getting divorced. I know that he was deeply hurt and definitely hates me. To him, I ruined his life. It has been over a year since we've separated and divorced. I have dated and so has he. We see each other at work and don't acknowledge each other. Every time I see him, my heart hurts more and more. Every time I think about him, I miss him. I don't know what to do. I want to contact him, but I wonder if the wounds are still too fresh. I wonder if he'll even want to hear from me. Actually.. I know he doesn't because I have a texted a few times and he hasn't responded. I feel so lost. Help.

J
J
There is no hope for your marriage.
Only 5% of affairs survive past 2 years, and of the very small percent that get married nearly all end in divorce.

Dr. Harley has tried to find ways to make affairages such as yours somehow work but they can't.

J
J
In your case, Dr. Harley would probably recommend that you find another job and have no contact with your ex husband/ affair partner.

In the future, avoid adultery or choose a lifelong suffering from it.

L
L
What advice specifically are you looking for?

How to turn Your life around, or how to reconcile your affair marriage?

My first advice, regardless, is to read Surviving An Affair and then, Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders.

Clean up your past by following the steps in SAA and come back here often to ensure you are doing it as openly and honestly as you can, without deviating from the program the least little bit.

You can't build a solid future on a shaky foundation.

LTL

S
OP Offline
S
How to reconcile with my "affair marriage" if that's what we're calling it. Or if it's even something that can be or should be reconciled.

L
L
So in the last 6 years you have married and divorced TWICE?
And had affairs in both marriages?

Maybe you should not be so quick to jump back into any relationship. Maybe spend some time here developing your beliefs on what marriage and relationships should be...

A
A
Start with the book, "Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders". Once you read it, you will see why your marriages failed and why your last marriage is unlikely to recover.

Please tell me that you are very young and that you are not bringing children into your serial cheating relationships.

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
S
OP Offline
S
I am young and no I don't have children. In my first marriage, I didn't cheat when we were together. He did. We were separated with divorce in process when I met and started to be intimate with my last husband.

A
A
So you think that being separated is not being married. Neither you nor your husbands have a concept of what marriage means. Your fist marriage was an excuse to have a party and your second marriage was an affairsge. Do you read books? If so, read the "Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders" book. It is the one that can help you the most in the future.

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
Originally Posted by ShaylaJo
I am young and no I don't have children. In my first marriage, I didn't cheat when we were together. He did. We were separated with divorce in process when I met and started to be intimate with my last husband.

Who (your last XH) was still married at the time you began the relationship? So you began an affair with a man who was married? And you were still married?

FWW, 36

L
L
How many times do you plan on being married?

What does marriage mean to you?

S
OP Offline
S
Yes, my last ex was married but also separated and in process of divorce.

M
M
How to reconcile with my "affair marriage" if that's what we're calling it. Or if it's even something that can be or should be reconciled.

I would leave the man alone. Affairs are doomed relationships from the start. They have a 95% divorce rate. I would try and learn from your mistakes so you don't do this again.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Just curious as to what you would call your last marriage if not an "affair marriage"?
After all you did cheat on your husband (as you were still married, despite divorce proceedings pending) and you did marry the man you had the affair with, not to mention being the OW to his BW.

FWW, 36

M
M
Originally Posted by armymama
Start with the book, "Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders". Once you read it, you will see why your marriages failed and why your last marriage is unlikely to recover.

Please tell me that you are very young and that you are not bringing children into your serial cheating relationships.

Amen... You have a warped view of relationships and I hope you get the book above so you don't do this again.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Yes, my last ex was married but also separated and in process of divorce.

Separated=married

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
I understand that I'm at fault, and I have owned my mistakes. I'm trying to move forward. I have learned valuable lessons. Am I completely past the ability to be helped and loved and in a healthy marriage?

T
T
While I'm sorry that you are in pain you have brought it on yourself. You need to take time to learn what marriage should be, learn how to create a meaningful relationship and then implement Dr. harley's principles in your future marriage.

You lack the understanding of what a relationship where both parties needs are met looks like and need to learn this before you can have a meaningful relationship. Read the books suggested and make yourself a better person before you jump into another relationship.

M
M
I understand that I'm at fault, and I have owned my mistakes. I'm trying to move forward. I have learned valuable lessons. Am I completely past the ability to be helped and loved and in a healthy marriage?

I know you feel right now that your being clubbed by 2x4's, I felt the same when I first joined. I'm not far enough along in my recovery to advise much, what I will advise is to LISTEN to the vets, get the suggested books and follow what they say. We, as WW's have done the worst possible betrayal to our spouses.

FWW, 36

D
D
Please read those materials and understand marriage is work and isn't some magical smoochie pie/soulmate thing that society portrays it to be. You have horrible boundaries around men and that needs to be addressed. Those reading materials will change your life if you appply them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation