Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Originally Posted by Sallyed
Black Raven,
Yes, you are right. I have 5 birth children from a marriage of 13 years ( divorced a good many years ago).
Been with partner 9 years.....youngest birth child 11 years. Partner no children of his own and considers my youngest to be his son. Has been excellent with the children and always come home from work and spent all weekends with us etc.
8 year old foster child is profoundly disabled...... Been here since birth.....we are jointly classed as permanent foster carers to her. In uk foster carers do not have parenteral responsibility so legally we are nothing to her.
Partner has no legal responsibility towards any of the children. He is saying will have her every weekend and still run around for the 11 year old and spend lots of time with him.
Also have 17 month old foster baby since birth. She is now in remission from cancer following surgery in October......she will be moving in next few months to adopters.
I suppose up until really recently I have been thinking that partner may have been adversely affected by the stress of looking after these children and had some kind of breakdown.
I am beginning to think that this is not the case now but rather has met someone else he prefers who appears more exciting than myself.he says he feels bad about his decision but that it is something 'that is right and he has got to do'. I have asked why he would not consider us reconciling but says he doesn't feel for me what he should but still cares.
Plan B would be hard to do if he still has involvement with foster child as we would have to exchange vehicles equipment etc.

I love your Eleanor quote!
So was he ever enthusiastic about raising all these children and taking on the new foster children?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
Sallyed Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes, he was.......well genuinely appeared to be. Since he has been seeing a counsellor for last few months, he says all his life he has found it very difficult to say if h doesn't like something or isn't happy in a situation. He has put this down to being 'shut up' by his parents when a child and his wanting to please and get everyone to like him. Also the homosexual encounters have caused guilt and shame and he didn't think it was ok for him to be valued. He agrees to things at work ( he is lecturer) and says he will do stuff that there is no way he can do because of time constraints, then has to work out a plan to get out of it that seems feasible, but the excuses also have to be something that wasn't there in the first place he agreed to it. He then inwardly gets very cross with himself. So, now I am wondering if the whole 9 years has jut been a sham of him agreeing to stuff because it is easier than saying no and having to discuss things. He is a great listener, thoughtful in a lot of ways. Nothing to stop him just up and leaving but his conscience concerning the responsibility he feels towards the children is stopping him and he doesn't want to leave me in a financial mess. He has told the other woman he won't see her out of work, for a few weeks. He has told me he won't see her until the house is sold and he has his own place, which is going to be months away at the earliest.
It is all very confusing. Everyone who knows us was totally shocked about him wanting to leave. He says it is nothing to do with the other woman and that he discovered during counselling that he realised our relationship was over a couple of years ago.
Started texting other woman Sept......told me it was over Nov, started seeing counsellor Beginning of Dec....agreed to try and make it work with me from then until end of Feb( when I discovered the affair)......then said it was over but maintains it is nothing to do with the other woman.
He is not being honest with the other woman and makes out things are very different here than how they are.....she is questioning his commitment to her and starting to place some demands on him ( have seen messages). He is trying to please every one and consequently not pleasing anyone.

I
I
Yes, he was.......well genuinely appeared to be. Since he has been seeing a counsellor for last few months, he says all his life he has found it very difficult to say if h doesn't like something or isn't happy in a situation. He has put this down to being 'shut up' by his parents when a child and his wanting to please and get everyone to like him. Also the homosexual encounters have caused guilt and shame and he didn't think it was ok for him to be valued. He agrees to things at work ( he is lecturer) and says he will do stuff that there is no way he can do because of time constraints, then has to work out a plan to get out of it that seems feasible, but the excuses also have to be something that wasn't there in the first place he agreed to it. He then inwardly gets very cross with himself. So, now I am wondering if the whole 9 years has jut been a sham of him agreeing to stuff because it is easier than saying no and having to discuss things.

He is a conflict avoider and a people pleaser. Honestly with so many concerns on your plate you need someone with more spirit. It takes ages to figure out what someone like him is really happy with and make a plan. You need someone who can plan as they go with you.

Since he never committed to you, the children are not his and he has been unfaithful, I'd cut my losses and have no contact with him. Try a Plan B outlining the conditions for a return if you like, but I would keep your standards very high.

Plan B saved me persoanlly and I've IM'd for many people in Plan B with kids and it is better for the children. When the couple remain in contact the WS turns into nothing more than a Disney Dad for weekend fun or a tag-along guest on family trips. The kids learn that he will never do any of the grit or hard work. With Plan B he has to parent them alone and care for them properly.

He has told the other woman he won't see her out of work, for a few weeks. He has told me he won't see her until the house is sold and he has his own place, which is going to be months away at the earliest.
It is all very confusing. Everyone who knows us was totally shocked about him wanting to leave. He says it is nothing to do with the other woman and that he discovered during counselling that he realised our relationship was over a couple of years ago.
Started texting other woman Sept......told me it was over Nov, started seeing counsellor Beginning of Dec....agreed to try and make it work with me from then until end of Feb( when I discovered the affair)......then said it was over but maintains it is nothing to do with the other woman.
He is not being honest with the other woman and makes out things are very different here than how they are.....she is questioning his commitment to her and starting to place some demands on him ( have seen messages). He is trying to please every one and consequently not pleasing anyone.

This is text book Sally. Right down to 'it was over a few years ago'. They all say that. They are masters of indecision! That's because affairs have nothing to do with a bad home life, but a fun out of home life with someone else. They also know full well that they will have the same problems in a new home (especially a conflict avoider!) and they want to protect the affair from becoming real and keep it fun.

An affair is lots of fun on the side but they start to get cold feet about actually leaving home and moving in with someone who was really nothing more than a sympathetic ear.

I guarantee you that all the stuff he has to arrange before he leaves will never get done. He will keep his home life with you and his out of home life with her the same for as long as possible. It is also beyond insulting to expect you to stand there patiently waiting while he cooly arranges a new life with a new woman.

If he isn't committing to you, he needs to get out. He needs to figure out where he will stay. You never agreed to put a roof over his head and hold his hand while he plans his life with someone else and it is insulting of him to ask you.

Last edited by indiegirl; 05/03/14 08:02 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
she is questioning his commitment to her and starting to place some demands on him

Just think how desperate she must be to have to harangue a man into being with her. It's hardly love's young dream is it, when the conflict has started long before there is any children or bills.

Yet strangely this is rather typical for affair situations. We never see anything differnet on these forums. You'd think a person would only leave a family for a happy experience but usually they leave reluctantly, for someone quite angry and demanding. All because of some silly but satisfying conversations in which they made complaints about their spouse that they were not confident in making TO their spouse!

It's funny but Plan B is usually a strange kindness to the afairees in which they get what they think they want. The indecision of the cheater is cut through, and the decision they claimed they wanted, is made for them. The other woman also gets the prize she has nagged so hard for.

Yet they hate it. The cheater is outraged at losing free access to the family home and the loving support of two women. The other woman isn't happy either. She wanted to be chosen, not lumped with the reject.

What he wants, is to not decide, and what she wants is to triumph.

This is a disaster for you if you let that play out. No matter what money he is contributing, it isn't worth it. See a solicitor about what you are entitled to and get some formal support set up or downgrade to a lifestyle you can afford.

I'd get your Plan B preps lined up and go dark as soon as you can. Let them have each other! They'll be done in five minutes.

S
Sallyed Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi indiegirl.....they were really useful replies....thanks. I think you are right in the conflict avoider and people pleaser assessment. Also, I think he would really prefer that I tell him to go......that would ease his conscience of him having to live with abandoning me. He wants for,this to end with everyone thinking he is a lovely chap and has done the best possible thing ( hence saying he will have the 8 year old every weekend). I don't really think he has thought that through.....just a reactionary comment as a solution for him feeling bad leaving me to care for her on my own. He has not considered how he is actually going to have a relationship of fun things with the O W when he has responsibility of an 8 year Los tube fed, profoundly disabled girl, who functions at less than a 6 month old level, who grabs and shouts!

I wouldn't be entitled to anything financially from him as I own my own house ( no mortgage) and none of the kids are his.

We went on holiday last week and he didn't tell OW incase she didn't like it.......but says he can't wait until he gets his own place so that he can see her often. He is besotted with her.....

B
B
He has told me he won't see her until the house is sold and he has his own place, which is going to be months away at the earliest.

You are selling your house? If the house is not his, I 'd tell him to get out NOW. Right now he is mooching off of you and stuffing cake in his mouth with both hands...OW, homosexual acts... Don't be a doormat, Sallyed.

I wouldn't bother involving him with the children either. He will disappoint you and them. I don't mean to be harsh but he is not your husband and he is not their father. Cut your losses and get away from this freeloader. You deserve a million times better than this!!!

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
Here's some good information.
Conflict Avoidance is the Kiss of Death

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
J
For clarification, Plan A and Plan B are designed to deal with affairs in marriage. They are not designed for single or divorced people.

You can go no contact with him, but I wouldn't call this an "affair." or have traditional Plan B guidelines such as an IM.

I would certainly post him and the woman he is cheating with on www.cheaterville.com.

S
Sallyed Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Black Raven........I am starting to feel like a doormat.......think that is because I am also starting to wake up to the reality of this situation.

To start with I really did think he was ill and having some kind of breakdown........I thought my way of being understanding and genuinely wanting to put whatever effort was needed, to resolve problems together, was the best way......he didnt say otherwise.

My behaviour must have come across as quite arrogant to him because basically he was saying he wanted out of this relationship but what he was hearing from me was ' I don't know where this desire has come from because you have always seemed, and told me, you were so happy......therefore you can't be thinking straight and I will stand by you and our relationship and we will work through this together'

I can see now that he is in this situation, and let's it continue, because he hasn't got the ability to make decisions and carry them through. I have thought that that means he really is unsure, really does love and care for me, but he is not showing that is he........he is doing whatever is easier for him.

Brain hurts.........thanks for the link......wow......that is him!

Jedi knight......we have been together for 9 years......as far as I am concerned, my commitment to him was for life......I have never even thought about not being with him and have always wanted to resolve any problems together........so emotionally for me it was the same investment as if we were married. I can see for him that may be different but then if he is a people pleaser and conflict avoider then surely this same situation would have come about. During the 9 years he has always spent time at home......being here for the family and genuinely being interested and supportive and in many ways thoughtful.

Do you mean it is easier to get positive results from plan a and b if you are married? If so.......why is that?

Thankyou all for your input.....much appreciated.

I
I
Black Raven........I am starting to feel like a doormat.......think that is because I am also starting to wake up to the reality of this situation..

I think BR summed it up really well.

I'd add that there is no need to submit the foster child to visits just so he feels better about leaving. He isnt a parent and I doubt he is any good for her. Just kick him out and have done.

I thought my way of being understanding and genuinely wanting to put whatever effort was needed, to resolve problems together, was the best way......he didnt say otherwise..

I'd read Dr H's articles on blank forgiveness and unconditional love - both are a bad idea! It's patronising not to expect people to step up to the plate and meet our standards.

My behaviour must have come across as quite arrogant to him because basically he was saying he wanted out of this relationship but what he was hearing from me was ' I don't know where this desire has come from because you have always seemed, and told me, you were so happy......therefore you can't be thinking straight and I will stand by you and our relationship and we will work through this together'.

Exactly. Instead of telling someone what they should be doing, maintain your own standards and tell them what your response will be. They are free to act however they wish but they must accept your consequences. Allowing his staying rent free under your roof isn't the consequence you should be giving!

he hasn't got the ability to make decisions and carry them through. I have thought that that means he really is unsure, really does love and care for me, but he is not showing that is he........he is doing whatever is easier for him.

Precisely.

During the 9 years he has always spent time at home......being here for the family and genuinely being interested and supportive and in many ways thoughtful..

But if he wasn't being honest, and just submitting to whatever decision was on offer, he wasn't very committed to doing this forever. Someone in rented accommodation who just accepts whatever changes the landlord makes an excellent tenant. However this is only because they are thinking: "it's not forever". A buyer gets involved and makes his own changes. He builds something he wants for life.

You can find thoughtful and interested elsewhere. Add committed and honest and proactive to the list too.

Jedi knight......we have been together for 9 years......as far as I am concerned, my commitment to him was for life......I have never even thought about not being with him and have always wanted to resolve any problems together........so emotionally for me it was the same investment as if we were married. .

I think your commitment was true and you would have married him had he asked. Not everyone who gets married is a buyer - but if they won't even try to commit themselves legally and financially and publicly to you, what does that tell you? It tells you they want an easy exit route. SAYING you want to get married is a bit like telling a car dealer you are interested in a car but not actually buying. Will they let you use it indefinitely without any legal agreement though? Of course not.

I think someone who is clearly as smart, as compassionate and as committed as you are should be with a man who is dying to marry you and call you his wife. Not someone keeping their options open. I highly recommend reading buyers, renters and freeloaders.

Do you mean it is easier to get positive results from plan a and b if you are married? If so.......why is that?

Thankyou all for your input.....much appreciated.

Because of the commitment really. The person made a cast iron decision they wanted to be with you for life. When their A falls apart they often return to that decision. Also they face a lot of approbation from friends and family for their adultery, not to mention the cost of a divorce from someone who pre-A they had decided was their best match!

In your case he stayed in the 'let's see how we get along' stages of living together and never got to that decision. If he didn't reach it in happier times, it's unlikely he will want to with the work of recovery from an A hanging over him. It's not impossible but less likely.

Lots of couples who live together as a trial feel as good as married. They are not, and have never made any commitment at all besides the temporary paying of rent, which is why Dr H advises against it.

I learned so much about what commitment really is here (in spite of being married it was to a renter!). If you stick around, you'll pick up some great tips.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
J

Plan A and plan B are designed for married persons facing affairs. The concepts can help you but Harley does not support cohabitation because nearly ALL people that live together (and they all say the same you do, that they love each other and it's the same as marriage) end up breaking up!
The commitment is not there!

S
Sallyed Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jedi knight......I didn't say it was the same. As marriage. I said that I had the same commitment as if we were married ( and still do ) and wanted to be married. Obviously my partner doesnt feel the same.

Brain hurts........thanks a. Very interesting article.

J
J
At this point, I think your best course of action is to read the book Buyers Renters and Freeloaders.
If he's cheating on you, expose it publicly on www.cheaterville.com.
If he has confessed homosexual encounters to his counselor, I suspect he has probably continued these encounters. Only a polygraph would tell for certain.

S
Sallyed Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all,
Just thought I would give an update. Chris said he wouldn't see the ow until the house was sold. He defaulted on that very quickly and was he had to move out (with 2 days notice). He seemed genuinely happy about that and relieved. From texts and Facebook messages he is infatuated with her.
A couple of weeks later my 18 year old daughter emailed the ow to let her know how Chris had been lying and deceiving her as well as us. She didn't want the ow's children(4 and7) to end up hurt like she and her younger brother(11) have been.
This produced some expectant grovelling via fb from Chris to ow. They are together but not living together.
He moved on the 6 th June to his brothers's family spare room and is still there. He is looking somewhere to rent nearer to myself (so he can supposedly have the 11 year old and be nearer to him). He has picked him up once a week, from school, to take him for tea and then drop him off since leaving here.
He has not seen the 2 foster children at all.
I am only communicating with him via text, concerning contact with the 11 year old and he is happily abiding to that. I have told him he is not a man I know and I have no desire to spend time with him.
He says he was trying to end our relationship with integrity by staying until things were sorted(the house being sold and the 19 month old moving to adopters following clear scans concerning the cancer) and didn't want to leave me in a financial mess and practical difficulties (also got the 8 year old profoundly disabled girl we took on from birth). He has now done both. Not offered to help financially (has no legal obligation) and not offered to help in practical/ logistical matters (though to be honest Idont think I would want him to.....it may be really hard but at least I have my dignity. He is now able to tell people that I told him to leave, rather than him feel he has walked out, but in reality he pushed me passed my personal limits of acceptable behaviour knowing that I would tell him to leave.
I plod on......busy for the kids, confused about all the lies and deception, somedays wanting what I thought was the man I knew home( but I obviously didn't know him during the 9 years as he wasn't being honest even with himself) and other times wondering how I could ever entertain the thought of any reconciliation.
Sally

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,229 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation