Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 54 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 53 54
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Indie

I know what you mean about me praying for my H and lighting our wedding candle may not be good for My Plan B. I don't really feel like it tonight now as it's been such a draining afternoon and evening. When I light our candle and pray for our marriage I end up very emotional and crying so maybe I should stop for a while.

I've been thinking about the lawyer stuff lately too. I think I might do that when I return from my trip.

I'm planning on reading those books too. Does it matter what order I read them in? Was thinking Anne's house of Dreams first because you said Leslie did something great to stand up for her marriage?

I really hope I don't stumble and I hope I have a great personal recovery. I really don't want another crap year being treated like a doormat. It's so draining and hurtful.

It took a lot of strength to even get through 10 days of Plan B. I would be so dissapointed in myself if I went back to square one and broke NC. I can't take this abuse anymore.

Thanks Indie. Everyone on here is so wise!

Me: FWW/BW - 38 yrs
XH: FBH/WH - 41 yrs
Plan B
DS: 9yrs old (with H)
DD: 20yrs old
Divorced Dec 2014
WXH still living with POSOW

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by mrs_cen
Hi Rock,
I am a FWW, so I don't know the pain your feeling, I only know the pain I caused my BH.
I've been following your thread and I just wanted to say how sorry I am at this new "development", I know from reading how important him not purchasing a home with POSOW.
I'm so sorry for what your going through, it's threads like yours, that remind me of the turmoil and distruction I (and all WW's) caused, it's a HORRIBLE feeling, I hope that one day your WH will see it and feel it.

Hi mrs_cen

Thanks for following my thread. I need all the encouragement I can get! I am actually a FWW too. So my H was a BH and now he is a WH. So he knows exactly that horrible feeling that I am feeling. And now I know firsthand what he felt cause he is now doing it to me.

Are you now fully recovered?

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
B
B
Well you listened to the clip and the WW had a on again off again affair for 4 years and now her BH is a WH and Dr. Harley told her to go to Plan B because her WH is punishing her. Like you, she is trying everything to mend her marriage but the WH won't allow it.

Who knows if your WH's affair started as a RA an Is still punishing you for it, but it seems that way.

I just hope you stay dark.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
Indie

Do you honestly still believe there is no hope WH and OW will last after them being together so long now?

I don't see her leaving ever and I don't see him ever telling her to, so what do you think will be their downfall?

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Brain

Yes I do plan on staying dark. What is the suggestion if I happened to pass him in the street and he tries to stop and talk to me? Do I ignore him? Do I smile and say I'll talk to you when she's out of the house? Get away as quickly as possible and don't engage him I guess?

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
J
J
Originally Posted by rocksolid
So my H was a BH and now he is a WH. So he knows exactly that horrible feeling that I am feeling. And now I know firsthand what he felt cause he is now doing it to me.

You dont know what he feels.
Most people involved in sin, whether is being drunk, being mean to others or committing adultery aren't thinking of anyone other than themselves.

J
J
Hi Indie

I know what you mean about me praying for my H and lighting our wedding candle may not be good for My Plan B. I don't really feel like it tonight now as it's been such a draining afternoon and evening. When I light our candle and pray for our marriage I end up very emotional and crying so maybe I should stop for a while.

The Bible says to take our concerns to the Lord.

Personally, I am a BH and our 3 kids live with me.
We pray every night for WW and her mother, along with all of our relatives and friends.
I dont know how you are praying, but instead of praying for your husband to return you may want to consider praying for "God's will to be done."

Another prayer which I learned in Alanon:
God, grant me the courage the change the things I can change.
The strength to accept the things I cannot change;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I
I

I would stop it forever as you are just triggering yourself. You know that you are really taking sneaky sips of the love drug you are supposed to be in withdrawal from. That's why you feel lousy. Don't do the addict's trick of stopping 'for a while' because you feel hungover. We all think you should hold fast to your commitment - but to your feelings of love? Not so much. Prayer is supposed to be peaceful, right?

Mortarman was a man of faith and I would read his post on windows, doors and walls if I were you. Sometimes there is a plan bigger than what you personally want. I found myself returning to that idea of his a lot.

I like Jedi's suggestions of making your prayers less of a personal petition, less triggery and more philosophical.

Indie

Do you honestly still believe there is no hope WH and OW will last after them being together so long now?

I don't see her leaving ever and I don't see him ever telling her to, so what do you think will be their downfall?

I am 100pc certain their love won't survive. A camelia can't survive an ice storm. But it doesn't necessarily mean he is to be freed from his addiciton and returned to you. It's quite likely but not at all certain. There are options that could keep the addiction alive.

He could keep her on, but supplant her with a second and even a a third mistress, he could turn to a completely different woman and cheat on her... we have to remember that however much freeing himself is best, he has free will and the freedom to choose folly and sin. Some people even willingly choose unhappiness.

The best plans prepare for the worst, as well as hoping for the best. That's why in Plan B, you focus on yourself and you focus on making your feelings of love 'go to sleep'. If he comes home, he will be able to reawaken the feelings which will be unhurt and if he does not, divorce will hurt less.

However if your feelings are awake, they will constantly be getting hurt by the neglect and trauma. You may end up hating him - and all recovery chances are done with then.

If he does have his road to Damascus moment and wants to come home, I'd rather you were not very much in love with him. If you are, you won't want to set the very bar very high - you won't be stern enough to insist on a tough recovery. You can always fall back in love later.

For me, I got so happy this way I choose divorce; I couldn't be bothered with waiting for him. If I'd had a son, I would have done the whole two years and if appropriate I would have given recovery a try for the child. I would have done that knowing that MB can turn off and then turn love back on.

Get away as quickly as possible and don't engage him I guess?

Yes I think that is the best way to stay dark.

I'm planning on reading those books too. Does it matter what order I read them in?

Yes because they are about Anne growing up and getting married. The House of Dreams book is about her first home as a new wife so you might want to read about her going to college and her teaching career and her boyfriends first.

This is a good plan smile

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
Originally Posted by mrs_cen
Hi Rock,
I am a FWW, so I don't know the pain your feeling, I only know the pain I caused my BH.
I've been following your thread and I just wanted to say how sorry I am at this new "development", I know from reading how important him not purchasing a home with POSOW.
I'm so sorry for what your going through, it's threads like yours, that remind me of the turmoil and distruction I (and all WW's) caused, it's a HORRIBLE feeling, I hope that one day your WH will see it and feel it.

Hi mrs_cen

Thanks for following my thread. I need all the encouragement I can get! I am actually a FWW too. So my H was a BH and now he is a WH. So he knows exactly that horrible feeling that I am feeling. And now I know firsthand what he felt cause he is now doing it to me.

Are you now fully recovered?

We are just over a year into our recovery ~ there were many times I didn't think we'd make it & looking back this time last year seems a lifetime ago. We work our recovery everyday, sometimes they bring new challenges, sometimes they are just quiet reflections or reminders but each day is better, each day is brighter, we look forward to our future.

FWW, 36

R
OP Offline
R

[/quote]

The Bible says to take our concerns to the Lord.

Personally, I am a BH and our 3 kids live with me.
We pray every night for WW and her mother, along with all of our relatives and friends.
I dont know how you are praying, but instead of praying for your husband to return you may want to consider praying for "God's will to be done."

Another prayer which I learned in Alanon:
God, grant me the courage the change the things I can change.
The strength to accept the things I cannot change;
and the wisdom to know the difference.[/quote]

Hi Jedi

I am constantly amazed at your strength in raising your kids on your own. That's so nice you all pray for your WW. What a good dad they have.

You're right I have been praying for my husband to come home. I like your prayer from alanon I will borrow that thanks. When you went to alanon was that because of your WW's addiction? Do you think you learned a lot from alanon like the addiction of a wayward is exactly the same as an alcoholic? Do you think all addictions are pretty much the same? They have to hit rock bottom and want to help themselves? Sorry if I misunderstand, I just want to learn as much as I can about it.

Your advice is always much appreciated thanks.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Indie

I like your idea of putting my 'love to sleep'. I can imagine me tucking it into bed and waking it up one day if he comes back. Just letting it rest there under the covers!

I'm trying so hard to focus on myself. I know I can get through this with everybody's support here.

Deep down I don't think they will last either but I need to focus on myself and getting better and staying dark. This is so hard.

Do I think about the time limit of Plan B too much? I always think they've been together almost 3 years but I've only gone into Plan B recently. How long should I remain in Plan B? If I do it for 2 years like suggested that means they will have been together 5 years! Hardly any hope if it's been that long.

I have a date in my mind how long to do it and it's less than a year.

Or do I not worry about dates and just focus on myself and see what happens?

Thanks

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
B
B
Here it is.
Originally Posted by Mortarman
Sounds like you are doing the battle plan. So, let me just nibble around the edges.

As I eluded to above, make sure you include taking care of you. Remember, the first rule of combat is "take care of yourself." Why? Because if you dont, then you are no good to anyone else. Your kids (and maybe even your WW) are counting on you to be there. So, make sure you do tyhe little things that take care of you.

Second, you might want to shorten your prayers. Jesus sees you. He is standing right there with you. The betrayal you feel, He feels also...because your wife has not only betrayed you, she has betrayed Him. He weeps as you do.

Instead, my prayers got shorter as time went on...well, let me clarify that. I talk to Jesus constantly. That is the relationship part of the two of us. But when I say I shortened my prayers, I mean that I stopped with the laundry list of requests. He knows what I need.

All I ask now is two things. Number one is that His will be done, not mine. And number two, that he shows me walls and doors. Walls and doors are nothing but this...

In the Bible, it says that He is a lamp unto our feet. What does that mean? Well, in that day, the lamp they were talking about was a lamp with a candle in it...illuminating the path of a traveller at night. Well, how far does a candle illuminate? Not too far! Maybe a few steps in front of you.

But I have NO IDEA what lies down the road. It might be a dead end. It might be a cliff. I have no clue. And that is the point! When I pray "walls and doors," I am saying to Him "Jesus, I can only see a few steps in front. I am trusting you. So, I will pray for you to show me walls and doors. If the path I am on, if the decision I am making is not YOUR will, then please put a wall in front of me so I dont go over the cliff. If it is your will, then show me a door to go through."

Since I have done that...since I have relinguished my will to control my path...guess what? I have gotten walls and doors.

So, when I have designs to do something...but then it just seems to be getting harder and harder to do...and I cant get it done...I look up and ask "is this a wall?" And I quickly find out that even though I wanted to do this thing, it wasnt His will. And so I thank him, make a left or right face (or even an about face sometimes)...and we continue.

My relationship with Christ is one of beginnings. He walks with me. At times I stumble. But instead of laughing at me, or admonishing me, He just reaches down, picks me up, dusts me off...and we begin again. One foot in front of the other.

This is where you need to get to. You CANNOT control what is going on in the foxhole next to you. All you can do is concentrate on what is between your sector stakes...and let God handle the rest.

One last thing...my favorite general of all time once said "Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain." General Robert E. Lee

You are about to become VERY wise.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks brainhurts for posting that by mortarman. He seems very wise. I like the idea about the walls and doors. I will go back and read that again later.

Do you have a link to your story BH? I noticed you are a FWW/BW also.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
B
B
Thanks brainhurts for posting that by mortarman. He seems very wise. I like the idea about the walls and doors. I will go back and read that again later.

Do you have a link to your story BH? I noticed you are a FWW/BW also.
I don't have a link to my BH, I just have my story.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

I
I
Hi Indie

I like your idea of putting my 'love to sleep'. I can imagine me tucking it into bed and waking it up one day if he comes back. Just letting it rest there under the covers!

I'm trying so hard to focus on myself. I know I can get through this with everybody's support here.

Deep down I don't think they will last either but I need to focus on myself and getting better and staying dark. This is so hard.

Do I think about the time limit of Plan B too much? I always think they've been together almost 3 years but I've only gone into Plan B recently. How long should I remain in Plan B? If I do it for 2 years like suggested that means they will have been together 5 years! Hardly any hope if it's been that long.

I have a date in my mind how long to do it and it's less than a year.

Or do I not worry about dates and just focus on myself and see what happens?

Thanks

It really does go to sleep! I remember Scotland telling me it would get put into a safe in case I needed it, and not truly believing her. When it happened I was astonished - so cool and calm and able to make purely logical decisions. I decided as a young woman with no children I didn't want to give him any more of my precious time.

For my chosen path I obviously don't want the love 'reawakened' but that's easily avoided with no contact. It's better for my personal recovery that I wasn't torn down piece by piece. I never did get to the point of hating him. Indifference is better.

I needed timescales too. I was advised to focus on the next six months, then to reevaluate at that point for the following six. I'd like to see you past most of the pain at that point and really seeing some benefits of Plan B.

You only get out what you put in. If you moon over WH a whole lot, you won't do as well.

Well that's OK because hope is not a plan.

Really though you were propping the A up during that time. You were rewarding him with a second source of needs and giving him his desire for revenge. That could have gone on indefinitely because he wasn't going to give up the set up until he had destroyed you with selfishness. The clock on their A only started when you went into Plan B.

Last edited by indiegirl; 05/19/14 06:18 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

R
OP Offline
R
Hi indie

I really do want to heal and get to that point where I can make cool logical decisions. Is your WH still in your area or do you have completely no clue what he is up to? How long did it take you to decide that it wasn't worth waiting anymore?

this morning I was driving my car and WH drove past. He saw me and waved at me. I waved back. It was instinct. Have I now broken my plan b? I hope not.

When he waved at me he looked genuinely miserable.

It made me sad seeing him and I cried after.

I was so tempted to call him straight after and ask him if he still loved me and tell him I love him. I didn't.

So now I need to acknowledge my weaknesses even more now. I am weak in wanting to talk to him. I am going to be weak if I happen to see him somewhere. So I need to be even darker and act like I've fallen off the face of the earth. I really want to heal. I don't want to cry anymore. I'm so determined to feel better for my holiday.

I need to not ask DS for any more info. I have to look at the places I'm weak and avoid these things.

Did I break NC by waving back in my car? So to avoid this again I need to sing along in my car and focus on the road and not who is driving past. I shouldn't even notice if he has driven past because I am too busy concentrating on fabulous me! Thoughts?

Last edited by rocksolid; 05/19/14 07:16 PM.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks indie for clearing up the thing about the time and the clock on the affair. That's what i was getting confused with. So i might stick out the 2 years but evaluate every six months and see how i feel.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Hi brain hurts I meant do you have posts about your story? I didn't mean I wanted a link to your H! Not sure if that's what you thought I meant

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
J
J
Hi Jedi

I am constantly amazed at your strength in raising your kids on your own. That's so nice you all pray for your WW. What a good dad they have.

You're right I have been praying for my husband to come home. I like your prayer from alanon I will borrow that thanks. When you went to alanon was that because of your WW's addiction? Do you think you learned a lot from alanon like the addiction of a wayward is exactly the same as an alcoholic? Do you think all addictions are pretty much the same? They have to hit rock bottom and want to help themselves? Sorry if I misunderstand, I just want to learn as much as I can about it.

Your advice is always much appreciated thanks.

I went to alanon because I was affected by alcoholism...my MIL had lived with us a third of our marriage and was a binge drinker.
I learned that I was actually enabling the drinking and when my wife and I lied to the children to protect the MIL (example" Grandma is in the hospital because shes sick" was code for "Grandma got alcohol poisoning and is in ICU) I was enabling the sickness.

Alanon has a role for helping friends and families affected by alcoholism. It is not for recovering for an affair, etc. or any marriage building concepts other than individual responsibility.

EDIT: Like with indfidelity, alanon generally encourages speaking the truth to children. It's when we lie to conceal the self destructive actions of others that we confuse our children.

Last edited by Jedi_Knight; 05/19/14 09:08 PM.
J
J
Hi indie

I really do want to heal and get to that point where I can make cool logical decisions. Is your WH still in your area or do you have completely no clue what he is up to? How long did it take you to decide that it wasn't worth waiting anymore?

this morning I was driving my car and WH drove past. He saw me and waved at me. I waved back. It was instinct. Have I now broken my plan b? I hope not.

When he waved at me he looked genuinely miserable.

It made me sad seeing him and I cried after.

I was so tempted to call him straight after and ask him if he still loved me and tell him I love him. I didn't.

So now I need to acknowledge my weaknesses even more now. I am weak in wanting to talk to him. I am going to be weak if I happen to see him somewhere. So I need to be even darker and act like I've fallen off the face of the earth. I really want to heal. I don't want to cry anymore. I'm so determined to feel better for my holiday.

I need to not ask DS for any more info. I have to look at the places I'm weak and avoid these things.

Did I break NC by waving back in my car? So to avoid this again I need to sing along in my car and focus on the road and not who is driving past. I shouldn't even notice if he has driven past because I am too busy concentrating on fabulous me! Thoughts?

Don't beat yourself up over waving at him.
That was a split second reaction which you weren't prepared for.
It was better to wave than flip him off!

Page 19 of 54 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 53 54

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation