Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2805812 06/06/14 03:47 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone, I'm looking for opinions on this scenario:

You are a married, working student. You planned to celebrate the end of exams with your classmates (male and female). You told your spouse a week or so in advance. On the day that you are supposed to go out with your classmates your spouse asks you to go out to dinner with him/her instead.

What is your immediate response?

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
BetrayedP #2805815 06/06/14 03:53 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by BetrayedP

You are a married, working student. You planned to celebrate the end of exams with your classmates (male and female). You told your spouse a week or so in advance. On the day that you are supposed to go out with your classmates your spouse asks you to go out to dinner with him/her instead.

First off, I would not be wasting my free time on a "celebration" that did not include my spouse. That is the first red flag.

But let's say she enthusiastically agreed that you do that without her, it sounds as if she has changed her mind. The solution would be to negotiate a solution that makes you both happy.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

BetrayedP #2805816 06/06/14 03:59 PM
L
L
What are your priorities? Your friends and a party, or your spouse and your marriage?

If one spouse wants to do something that the other spouse objects to, then the default solution is to not do that activity.

Then the two of you seek an alternative agreeable solution for a joint activity that you both are enthusiastic about.

Your resentment from Not being able to do the independent activity is called Type A resentment.

The resentment that your spouse would feel if you ignored their feelings and followed through with your independent plans would create Type B resentment.

Type B is more harmful to the marriage relationship than the Type A resentment would be.

Is an option for your spouse to attend this party offered and available if they wanted to go too?

They may not want to go anyways.

Keep the long term goal of marriage as a lifetime committed union on your mind and see which activity would enhance your lifelong marriage versus the other choice.

LTL

BetrayedP #2805818 06/06/14 04:04 PM
M
M

Well, my immediate response is relief at the prospect of spending an evening alone with my wife instead of with a bunch of other people.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
N
Like the others, I'd be happy my partner is open with me and feel confident we'd find a solution we both liked. I'm not uncomfortable being the only one who brings my spouse. And I hang with folks I like, so they tend to invite their partners, too. Why we even include kids and dogs to different things smile

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
markos #2805820 06/06/14 04:05 PM
M
M
Dr. Harley recommends that any independent recreational activities only take place under the following conditions:

* You are each other's favorite recreational companions (you are following the policy of undivided attention: 15 or more hours alone together each week)
* Your spouse is enthusiastic about the activity
* The activity is not with members of the opposite sex

I'd eliminate any recreational activity that can't meet these conditions.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm not the working student spouse. And I did leave out a very pertinent detail, though I think Melody Lane pretty much simplified it. The detail I left out is that we're actually separated, but working on the marriage. I'm not interested in going. It's at a bar and I don't go to bars. It is a red flag for me though.

Last edited by BetrayedP; 06/06/14 04:11 PM. Reason: i do work

BetrayedP #2805824 06/06/14 04:09 PM
P
P

My immediate response is to start negotiations to find a solution we are both happy with. I would not go to the celebration if he did not want me to go. I also would not go out to dinner with him unless I loved the idea. We would stay home and discuss it until we had a plan we both liked.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

BetrayedP #2805826 06/06/14 04:16 PM
M
M
You told your spouse a week or so in advance.

It really doesn't matter - the Policy of Joint Agreement applies to behavior in the moment it is taken, not the moment it was agreed to. Dr. Harley frequently covers examples where somebody enthusiastically agreed, but then when it came time to do it, they were no longer enthusiastic. The POJA specifies you don't do it.

As a matter of fact, I had a whole radio show with Dr. Harley about this. smile He gave a great example of the one time Joyce went with him to a baseball game. They left in the middle of the game! laugh

Question: when you told your spouse you were going - did you ask how she felt about it? Was she enthusiastic, or reluctant? (pick one)

On the day that you are supposed to go out with your classmates your spouse asks you to go out to dinner with him/her instead.

So is she reluctant about it now? If she is reluctant about you going, don't go.

If she's fine with you going, but lacking time with you, you might see how she feels about doing both.

I WOULD TAKE HER WITH ME TO ANY SOCIAL GET TOGETHERS. I wouldn't want to be apart from my wife, and I wouldn't want to be with people who don't welcome her.

Is this a "no spouses" event? I assume spouses are welcome to everything in the world unless otherwise specified. And when people specify otherwise, I don't go.

BetrayedP #2805827 06/06/14 04:17 PM
M
M
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm not the working student spouse. And I did leave out a very pertinent detail, though I think Melody Lane pretty much simplified it. The detail I left out is that we're actually separated, but working on the marriage. I'm not interested in going. It's at a bar and I don't go to bars. It is a red flag for me though.

Yep, I wouldn't go to a bar even if my wife were enthusiastic about it! Some things are just a bad idea period.

And while working on the marriage I wouldn't have other recreational activities. That fails Dr. Harley's first test: are you each other's favorite recreational companion?

BetrayedP #2805832 06/06/14 04:38 PM
P
P

Is he going to go without you?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

BetrayedP #2805834 06/06/14 04:43 PM
M
M
The detail I left out is that we're actually separated, but working on the marriage.

Men who are separated and working on their marriages should turn cartwheels of joy when their wives give them an opportunity to go out with them.

Is he dating you for 15 hours each week?

Has he eliminated demands, disrespect, and anger?

markos #2805889 06/07/14 07:39 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by markos
Men who are separated and working on their marriages should turn cartwheels of joy when their wives give them an opportunity to go out with them.

That's what I thought!

After lots of negotiation he spent the evening with me. Actually, the negotiation was successful when SF was put on the table. I am wondering if that is a good thing or bad thing.

We are not hitting 15 hours since he started school. Worse this past month because of all the extra studying, but hopefully with exams done, we can increase or UA time again.

He has been really good with eliminating AO's but disrespectful judgments are a big problem between us.... I think selfish demands naturally follow as well.

BetrayedP #2806578 06/11/14 01:20 PM
M
M
We are not hitting 15 hours since he started school. Worse this past month because of all the extra studying, but hopefully with exams done, we can increase or UA time again.

If it does not increase, I would not recover with him. Nothing should be taking a back seat to UA.

BetrayedP #2807015 06/13/14 01:32 PM
I
I
Actually, the negotiation was successful when SF was put on the table.

What do you mean... put on the table??!!!!

Seriously though, SF should be something that happens naturally when two people are in love. Even when there's scheduled SF it should be something done for itself - it shouldn't be a bartering tool.

Are you genuinely enthusiastic about having SF and who 'put it on the table'? Did you offer or did he ask?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

BetrayedP #2807306 06/15/14 05:10 PM
B
B
Wasn't your question answered on here?
Radio Clip of BetrayedP's Question

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation