Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by Mrs_Recon6mo
Brainy, if it is not too much trouble, could you please post a link to the show here some day, I will save it to my mother.

It's on my list. smile

Thank you. smile

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

B
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane
If you listen on a Mac computer, the show is downloaded into iTunes permanently, so you will have your own recording.

t/j

Thanks SugarCane! I had not realized this. smile

end t/j

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
S
S
Originally Posted by BlindSighted2013
t/j

Thanks SugarCane! I had not realized this. smile

end t/j
At least - that's how it works for me! I could be the only person, though... stickout

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
C
T/j: Well, you are SPECIAL, SC!

end t/j

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
N
N
I cannot support her choice to have a new BF so early, that's all.

I'm grateful you've gotten to that point. The earlier post was so judgmental and demeaning. It would break my heart if my daughter thought I was throwing her away or something.

Can you respect your mom's choice and love her even when you don't agree? Then she can be more honest to come and talk with you if she does come to see red flags.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
S
S
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
I'm grateful you've gotten to that point. The earlier post was so judgmental and demeaning.
I thought YOUR post was judgemental and demeaning, NED.

I think one day you're going to look back on what you wrote and shake your head how you judge your mom. If there are things of your dad's that mean a lot to you, then put them in your home, it's not for you to tell a grieving widow how to grieve. Look at what she lost. She is not tossing you away, she is trying to involve you an you are the one backing away and then projecting your actions onto her. I hope she will be more gracious to you than you are being to her.
I didn't see this poster saying harsh things to her mother; she came here first to ask whether her feelings were out of line. She told us about the things she was thinking, but she did not say she had said them:

"I�m thinking of many things, like how her life with my father was not rosy and now she has found a way to start over with someone else. Like how they probably didn�t have proper sexual relationship for years because of my dad�s illness. Like how can she abandon my father � although dead � so quickly. She started to sell and give away my dad�s clothes and tools almost immediately after he passed away, no item seemed to be dear enough to her for keepsake. I�m so sad and confused � how can a person be forgotten so quickly like he didn�t live at all?"

and

"I don�t know what to do. Should I do anything at all? It is still very soon."

How did it get from her thinking those things and coming here to ask if she should say anything to warn her mother about this man, and her been ungracious to her mother?

This man, after all, is described as being "A psychologist �who has helped her a lot during the mourning�." This poster is concerned that this man has breached professional ethics, or in some way has preyed upon a vulnerable lonely woman, to take advantage of her home and money, and indeed, there seems to be a case to answer. He isn't in a similar position of loneliness after the end of a marriage. He has no track record in marriage. He has managed to live for 60 years without getting married and yet, when he finds an obviously lonely fairly new widow, who appears to have a home and enough money to live on, on a website, he decides quickly to marry her. How is it "judgemental" for MrsRecon to fear that her mother is being used? What mess could she find herself in if she marries him and he spends all her money, and lands her with all his debt?

It would break my heart if my daughter thought I was throwing her away or something.
It might break your heart, but I hope that heartbreak would be for your daughter, not for yourself. If your daughter one day said that, after you moved your con man boyfriend into her home, she felt that you were putting him above her grief at her family break down, would you call her judgemental and demeaning? I certainly hope not.

Can you respect your mom's choice and love her even when you don't agree? Then she can be more honest to come and talk with you if she does come to see red flags.
This poster never said or implied that she did not love her mother. Why, however, should she respect her choice? She might be well advised to keep her mouth shut if she wants to keep her relationship intact, but why should she respect her mother choice, if she feels that this man is a con artist?

Her mother might never come to see red flags until all her money is gone and she has to sell the house to make a divorce settlement on this man. The pity of it is that if MrsRecon tries to talk to her about this now, she may well end her relationship with her mother and make things worse. However, she is not being judgemental and demeaning by coming here to ask for advice about a worrying situation.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
N
Oh wow, I'm really sorry, I was trying to get your attention, get you to pull in with your mom there, not to make you feel bad. I hate hearing you say she's throwing you away, when it's not an either or and it sounds like she very much wants a relationship with you. It's bad enough losing your dad and you hear these other horror stories how they let a new partner create a permanent wedge. I was hoping by pulling together with your mom you can cut that right off before it starts.

My stepdad is the worst thing that ever happened to my mom but she's never going to be able to see that and the whole family wasted years trying. I want you to keep the connection you have.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
N
N
It would break my heart if my daughter thought I was throwing her away or something.

It might break your heart, but I hope that heartbreak would be for your daughter, not for yourself.

Yes my heart would break for my daughter if she thought I was throwing her away by getting rid of tools and stuff I don't know how to use and didn't carry fond memories for any of us.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, SC.

NED, my relationship with my mother (or anyone else, for that matter) is not unconditional. It just cannot be like no matter what she does or plans to do, would immediately suit me just because she's my mother and we share a special bond. People can do all sorts of foolish things, even mothers, and children have all rights to express their concerns and feelings. Those feelings that I feel are not less valid just because she's my mother.

DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Divorcing

N
N
Absolutely, Radical Honesty is important in all relationships you want to last a lifetime. I'm not saying your feelings are not valid. Abandonment isn't exactly a feeling, though. She is not saying you are not welcome in her life, and hopefully she is welcome in your life as well. The loss of your dad can feel like an abandonment as well, even though he didn't have a choice in the matter, maybe it's just all getting swirled together.

The Griefshare emails were a huge source of comfort to me when my dad was killed. Maybe something like that would bring you comfort as well?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
S
S
Originally Posted by catwhit
T/j: Well, you are SPECIAL, SC!

end t/j
cat, you are a dear!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Here is your show.

Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you, BH!

DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Divorcing

B
B
Originally Posted by Mrs_Recon6mo
Thank you, BH!
You're welcome.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation