Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 54 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 53 54
R
OP Offline
R
Why is this such a struggle for me all the time? I have to do this, I know I can because I did it before.

Me: FWW/BW - 38 yrs
XH: FBH/WH - 41 yrs
Plan B
DS: 9yrs old (with H)
DD: 20yrs old
Divorced Dec 2014
WXH still living with POSOW

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
B
B
Originally Posted by rocksolid
I'm finding it so hard to go back Plan B. When i first started Plan B 5 weeks ago it didn't seem this hard and I coped okay.

I now feel hopeless like I did 6 months ago when WH first shot me down in his office and chose OW.

Maybe because he has shot me down again. I'm low and crying again. Maybe because I know deep down it is really over and things will not change.

I've only been back on AD's for 2 days so not seeing any results yet.

I really need encouragament to keep strong. I hate feeling so alone and not even having anyone to give me a hug.

I want to drag myself out of this hole.
2 days isn't a very long time for the ADs to kick in.

We know it sucks, but remember how much better you felt when you were in a dark Plan B? Hold on to that and keep moving forward.

Your contact with him has you reeling and you're back to square one. Also since you've seen him your taker has shown it's ugly head and you're in taker mode.

What can you do right now to get out of this? Can you go on a walk? Take a bubble bath? Call a friend or a sister or mom?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
Yes my taker is coming out. I'm trying to identify this trigger I'm having. I'm thinking my triggers are coming late afternoon when I know WH is at work in the afternoons when no one else is there. It's when he and I would mostly talk on the phone when everybody would go home.

So I keep thinking of that knowing what time it is and wanting to call him for a chat.

My son is with me so we are going to play a game.

Maybe I should find something to do at this time each afternoon so I'm not tempted.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
This may sound a bit weird but anything that stops me calling him right?

Something Neak said about not stirring the compost pile.

I put a big disgusting picture of a stinking compost pile on my computer to remind me laugh

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
L
L
Yes my taker is coming out. I'm trying to identify this trigger I'm having. I'm thinking my triggers are coming late afternoon when I know WH is at work in the afternoons when no one else is there. It's when he and I would mostly talk on the phone when everybody would go home.

So I keep thinking of that knowing what time it is and wanting to call him for a chat.

Maybe I should find something to do at this time each afternoon so I'm not tempted.

Finding something to do during the trigger period in the afternoon is an excellent idea. Maybe you could consider a class: yoga, dance, computer. Or a daily walk with your friend or child. Get out of the house and get your mind off a call and your H by doing something very engaging.

Activity classes are perfect because you have to focus on the task at hand. I take a dance class twice a week and everything else has no choice but to fly out of my brain so I can concentrate on following the teacher and learning the moves and choreography.

Get out your calendar and schedule in something for every day this week, something you can look forward to and that will engage your mind in something else.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
N
N
I lol'd. You won't need that picture there forever, but as long as its helpful, I say go for it.

You need to look primarily to God and to yourself to meet your needs right now. It's a difficult switch, but you can do it. (Hint: God helps out a whole bunch with this.) Just as couples have to be very deliberate about scheduling their UA time, you will have to be very deliberate about scheduling your "U" time.

Great job recognizing that you have an extra vulnerable spot in your day, and brainstorming to protect yourself during that time. I predict that if you're nice enough to yourself, it will quickly become your favorite part of the day. smile

Stay dark. These bad feelings won't last forever.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
L
L
rubber band around your wrist. snap each time you think of calling/writing/pot-stirring.

soon you will associate pain with those thoughts.

I
I
You're having a bad stretch but your attitude is excellent. Backslides - and I had a few - do feel worse, just as false recoveries feel worse than the original Dday.

When I look back at the really, really tough parts of that uphill climb - the parts that were almost vertical, like what you are pushing thorough now - I feel so proud of myself. I did it.

I have done a few hill walks since then, Ben Nevis in Scotland and Mount Snowden in Wales and although a novice walker I told myself no one can get an uphill climb done like I can. Because nothing I ever do will ever be as tough as recovering from infidelity. Everything else is a cake walk. It is satisfying to get to the top of a hill and know that if you can do this, you can do anything.

I am at least 90 per cent more fearless and determined post Plan-B and I don't think I am unusual in that respect. It makes you tough.

And yet the only thing you need to do it, and do it right is determination.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
By the way I've started to read the Blue Castle thanks to this thread and oh my goodness!

How did this book elude me for so long??!! It's perfect Plan B reading.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome

Finding something to do during the trigger period in the afternoon is an excellent idea. Maybe you could consider a class: yoga, dance, computer. Or a daily walk with your friend or child. Get out of the house and get your mind off a call and your H by doing something very engaging.

Activity classes are perfect because you have to focus on the task at hand. I take a dance class twice a week and everything else has no choice but to fly out of my brain so I can concentrate on following the teacher and learning the moves and choreography.

Get out your calendar and schedule in something for every day this week, something you can look forward to and that will engage your mind in something else.

Every afternoon at this time I have my DS so I can't do any classes. I might schedule this time as his bath time or playing a game with him time.

I do have a free pass to a boxing class that I might try. Box some anger out! I can do that in the night time when he goes to WH.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by indiegirl
By the way I've started to read the Blue Castle thanks to this thread and oh my goodness!

How did this book elude me for so long??!! It's perfect Plan B reading.

I know! I think I may have to read it again. It should be put onto the required reading if you are going into Plan B smile

Thanks to Neak for suggesting smile

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
rubber band around your wrist. snap each time you think of calling/writing/pot-stirring.

soon you will associate pain with those thoughts.

Good idea. I think I've snapped it about twenty times today already. It hurts!

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by indiegirl
You're having a bad stretch but your attitude is excellent. Backslides - and I had a few - do feel worse, just as false recoveries feel worse than the original Dday.

When I look back at the really, really tough parts of that uphill climb - the parts that were almost vertical, like what you are pushing thorough now - I feel so proud of myself. I did it.

I have done a few hill walks since then, Ben Nevis in Scotland and Mount Snowden in Wales and although a novice walker I told myself no one can get an uphill climb done like I can. Because nothing I ever do will ever be as tough as recovering from infidelity. Everything else is a cake walk. It is satisfying to get to the top of a hill and know that if you can do this, you can do anything.

I am at least 90 per cent more fearless and determined post Plan-B and I don't think I am unusual in that respect. It makes you tough.

And yet the only thing you need to do it, and do it right is determination.

I don't even feel so determined anymore frown Maybe I need to walk some mountains too.

I don't even know how I even made it through 5 weeks of Plan B in the first place. I'm feeling really disheartened and want to call him. The thing that is stopping me is I'm honestly just all talked out. I'm sick of talking talking talking and it falling on deaf ears.

I'm sick of being hurt and listening to the excuses and false promises.

I know if I ring I will hear the same thing over and over. He'll tell me how much he loves me and he wants to spend his life with me but he just doesn't know how anymore.

I'm sick of hearing about how his family are a big influence on him.

I'm sick of hearing how special I am and how all our times in the last 6 months were special. If they were so special I would be with him and not OW.

I'm done hearing this. I don't want talk. I want action.

I don't want to feel the pain anymore. That's why I'm not calling.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
R
OP Offline
R
So how long do the pi$$ed off feelings hang around for? I guess it's good I'm feeling like this. I've nearly had enough I tell you.

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
I
I
I felt when you called him WH you were having your Eureka moment. You've spent far too long thinking of yourself as the wayward. I know what a wayward sounds like and you are not one of them but he most certainly is. He will be while the A lasts, a stranger. I'd give him a nickname to distinguish the new alien from the old H.

I
I
What self care is going on today?

R
OP Offline
R
I suddenly realised he was WH when I saw him at his work last week. That's the first time I saw him at his foggiest. That's when I realised that wasn't my husband standing in front of me.

My self care at the moment has just been lots of rest. Last night I actually had a good night sleep. I was quite upset at work today so I kept just sitting down and having lots of rest and just breathing. Then I would get up and keep going again.

I've taken to carrying round Dobson's book in my bag cause it's handy and small. When I'm feeling down I'll take a quick look and read a passage to help me feel better again.

Hmm I'll have to think of a nickname not sure about that one yet!

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
N
N
Why don't you want to call him? Because if you do, these bad feelings will get worse, much worse, and last oodles longer.

And, although you and DS should be the only priority, the only consideration when making decisions, calling is bad for WH, too. Think of the A as a giant monster who is holding him prisoner. The only hope of WH ever going free is for the monster to starve to death.

Every time you pick up the phone or email, you toss the monster a big, fat, juicy steak. Every time you stop by in person, you give the monster the whole cow. WH and OW try to feed the monster, but as time goes on their loaves of bread dwindle to crumbs. 99% of the time, the monster will starve if it has no other food source.

Never feed the monster again.

Now your computer is going to have a picture of a compose heap, and something like this:

Rocksolid's New Sign

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
R
OP Offline
R
I don't want to call WH again because I end up hurt and back to square one. I want to feel better again.

That was great advice about the monster Neak. I didn't realise how bad it was for WH too.

I won't feed the monster anymore! Thanks so much for that it really helps. Off to change computer picture that was good smile

Plan B
Divorced Dec 2014

Actions mean EVERYTHING.
Words mean NOTHING.
N
N
You WILL feel better again. smile

For fun and science enrichment, here is a little sermon synopsis that deals with the subject of habits. Gotta love those boutons! (Pronounced BOO-tawns.)

So how do our brains work? The entire brain operates on 10 watts of electricity. Each brain cell has many fibers called dendrites which receive all kinds of information constantly. One long fiber called the axon transmits messages between cells. 3T:369

The microscope shows us that on the end of the axon are tiny enlargements called boutons (French, for �buttons�). These boutons secrete chemicals (ACH and GABA) which stimulate the next cell to send a message down the nerve path to whatever muscle or organ is to be activated. But there is no direct connection between the axon and the next cell�s dendrites, only a tiny space, called the synapse. How does the message get across this synapse? Through the chemicals of the boutons.

Here is where it gets interesting. Some axons have more boutons than others. Why? Because that axon has been stimulated more than others. More stimulation, more boutons. With more boutons, the easier it is the next time for similar messages to flow along that particular pathway. Habits are forming!

How are boutons formed? Any thought or act forms a bouton. Thoughts and acts often repeated build more boutons on the end of that particular axon so that it becomes easier to repeat that same thought or act when the same situation is again faced. Just like cutting across the lawn eventually wears a worn path, so repeated thoughts actually produce physical and chemical changes in our nerve pathways. Thoughts don�t vanish into thin air, they are etched into a biochemical pattern that we call habits.

The good news and the bad news is that boutons never disappear. Right! Frightening, as well as assuring! For example, recovered alcoholics tell each other that they �are always� alcoholics. So they avoid friends who drink and places where alcohol is likely to be served Chocoholics and those involved in �fatal attractions� with the opposite sex, never lose those boutons that make it easier for them to �cave in� the next time temptation stares them in the face.[1]

But the good news is that the bad-habit boutons can be overpowered by good-habit boutons. Those who find it easy to be angry, to be lazy or self-centered, can believe that with the right set of the mind and the power of God, new habits of self-control, industriousness, and caring can be established firmly. Solomon is right: We are what we think.

Sounds too easy? Here is how we build more yes or no boutons, whichever is appropriate for the occasion. For example, when we are used to saying �Yes� to bad choices, we must build �No� boutons.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 30 of 54 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 53 54

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 708 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation