Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
HoldHerHand #2809243 06/30/14 06:57 AM
L
OP Offline
L
HHH....you have hit the nail on the head and I realize it. When I was on the show Dr. Harley also pointed this out. This has actually been a very hurtful and difficult thing for me as I have been trying for a long time to find mutual activities that we can enjoy. I would suggest something (for example kayaking) only to find out he had gone and done the same thing with someone else and not included me. Part of the problem is that he is very athletic and I am not...I recently started biking and we did do that together this weekend so that was good.

Has anyone else had difficulty finding mutually satisfying recreational activities?

LolaLove #2809318 06/30/14 11:02 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by LolaLove
Has anyone else had difficulty finding mutually satisfying recreational activities?

What did you do when you dated?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2809347 06/30/14 12:48 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Well, we were in college...so a lot of studying together, walking to class, just hanging out. We did like to go camping and biking together and travelled a lot to visit people as our families are all over.

LolaLove #2809348 06/30/14 12:52 PM
L
OP Offline
L
We do a lot of things together...it's the ALONE together that is stumping me.

LolaLove #2809352 06/30/14 12:57 PM
F
F

What would be fun to do? Try to come up with some things that would be fun that you would look forward to doing. So what do you like to do for fun?

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
LolaLove #2809355 06/30/14 01:06 PM
M
M

Lola, can you be specific? How is that stumping you?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

FightTheFight #2809356 06/30/14 01:07 PM
A
A
Have you filled out the recreational companionship inventory? It is free and is posted here on the site. My H and I came up with an entire list of things that we wanted to try. Some we tried and gave up and others we still do.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
armymama #2809381 06/30/14 07:14 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Melody...we enjoy being with friends and family, but when we are alone I often feel like its awkward and we struggle to find things to talk about. Also I just feel like he would often rather be with other people than me...I am definitely not his favorite person to be with at this point.

Armymama...we have not yet. He is not all that interested in MB so I take what I can get. I will suggest it to him.

LolaLove #2809467 07/01/14 06:56 PM
P
P
Well, we were in college...so a lot of studying together, walking to class, just hanging out. We did like to go camping and biking together and travelled a lot to visit people as our families are all over.

Do you still enjoy doing these things?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

LolaLove #2809470 07/01/14 07:02 PM
P
P
I often feel like its awkward and we struggle to find things to talk about.
Is going to be awkward for quite some time. Do it anyway.

Armymama...we have not yet. He is not all that interested in MB so I take what I can get. I will suggest it to him.

Here is some trouble in your thinking. Don't just "take what you can get." He will either care for you or he will not. Let him know that these are the things you need to be cared for. If he is unwilling to care for you in this way, prepare for a separation.

Wives do their husbands no favor by setting the bar low.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2809474 07/01/14 08:58 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by Prisca

This really is true. It was very awkward for us at first. We just weren't used to sitting around talking. We had developed our own independent interests and had little to talk about in common. Mostly just the kids.

That's why I suggested focusing on finding fun things to do. It takes some of the pressure off of sitting there trying to come up with something to say to each other.

Find activities where there is plenty of opportunity to talk, but talking isn't the main event. For example, instead of going to dinner where you are just sitting across from each other with nothing to say, go to an amusement park together. Or take a cooking class. Or workout together. Just make sure it is a fun activity for both of you. As you accumulate these experiences, you will have things in common to talk about and the conversation will get a lot better!

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
LolaLove #2809475 07/01/14 09:07 PM
M
M
Melody...we enjoy being with friends and family, but when we are alone I often feel like its awkward and we struggle to find things to talk about.

Of course it is awkward! When you try new things it doesn't feel natural at first. So you just keep doing it and soon enough it will feel natural.

Also I just feel like he would often rather be with other people than me...I am definitely not his favorite person to be with at this point.

Probably true. But that is the point of this exercise, to make you his most favorite person.

Set the bar HIGH and don't settle for less. If you set the bar low, he will live down to your expectations.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2809476 07/01/14 09:08 PM
M
M
On your dates are you both on your very best behavior? Do you both strive to impress by being very pleasant and charming? Do you both look your best on your dates?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2809482 07/01/14 10:50 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
On your dates are you both on your very best behavior? Do you both strive to impress by being very pleasant and charming? Do you both look your best on your dates?

Do you flirt?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2809505 07/02/14 07:45 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Do you still enjoy doing these things?

I have started biking again and we did do that together over the weekend. We like to hike/walk together also, but I have been having some issues with my foot so I can't do that right now--that has been a big loss.

Prisca #2809507 07/02/14 07:51 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Here is some trouble in your thinking. Don't just "take what you can get." He will either care for you or he will not. Let him know that these are the things you need to be cared for. If he is unwilling to care for you in this way, prepare for a separation.

Wives do their husbands no favor by setting the bar low.

Yes, I am realizing this more and more. I complain, tell him I cannot stay in a marriage like this, then he will throw me some crumbs (like "starting" to read Love Busters), but then a week later we are right back to where we were with me feeling disconnected and angry.

FightTheFight #2809508 07/02/14 07:53 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by FightTheFight

This really is true. It was very awkward for us at first. We just weren't used to sitting around talking. We had developed our own independent interests and had little to talk about in common. Mostly just the kids.

That's why I suggested focusing on finding fun things to do. It takes some of the pressure off of sitting there trying to come up with something to say to each other.

Find activities where there is plenty of opportunity to talk, but talking isn't the main event. For example, instead of going to dinner where you are just sitting across from each other with nothing to say, go to an amusement park together. Or take a cooking class. Or workout together. Just make sure it is a fun activity for both of you. As you accumulate these experiences, you will have things in common to talk about and the conversation will get a lot better!

Thank you, these are very good suggestions.

MelodyLane #2809509 07/02/14 07:57 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Set the bar HIGH and don't settle for less. If you set the bar low, he will live down to your expectations.

I don't know why I struggle with setting the bar high. I know this is what I have to do. I am in the process of writing him a letter where I tell him exactly what I need from him. I plan on insisting that we do the Home Study program. Do you think that I should threaten separation if he doesn't cooperate?

MelodyLane #2809510 07/02/14 07:58 AM
L
OP Offline
L

I try!

Prisca #2809511 07/02/14 08:00 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Do you flirt?

I don't think I'm very good at this anymore. I did really try to the last time we went out. He is just not very receptive at this point which kind of deflates me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation