Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
P
Are you going to follow Dr. Harley's suggestion?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
They are his children and it is his right to not insure them if he "doesn't like insurance." He is the parent so this is his issue, not yours.
Exactly.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
Originally Posted by lovechickens
I think financial support is a high emotional need for me. I grew up in poverty and a single parent home, and the fact that my husband has no benefits is troubling. I asked him once what is he going to live on after retirement. Most people have a pension. He doesn't.

If you have a high EN for financial support then why did you marry him?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
The danger here is not HIS resentment, but YOURS. Your resentment level is reaching danger levels NOW. He will only be "resentful" until he finds new insurance for them. And he may decide not to do that. That is his choice, not yours.

I think this is the answer!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
OP Offline
L
I would like my husband to listen to the program and then we'll discuss it. Every time I've brought this up he's gotten defensive. I'm planning on giving him a time frame and then I'll discontinue the insurance from him and my step kids

L
OP Offline
L
If my en is high for financial support, why did I marry him? He makes a decent living, he just doesn't have any benefits. He's a hard worker. Would give the shirt off his back for anyone. Once he drove a guy 60 miles to catch a bus, whom he didn't even know! He has a good heart. He can fix just about anything and is generally generous. But for some reason he doesn't think insurance is important. Like I said in an earlier poet, he has two trucks and neither one is insured, which is illegal in our state. I recently saw someone had gotten a ticket for not having insurance on their vehicle and the fine was over 300. He's a good dad. Is sensible. He doesn't drink. He's faithful to the core. Is a family man. Most of the time he's helpful. We had a progressive dinner and he washed the kitchen floor for me before I got home from work. There aren't many men who'd do what he does, but like I said, he has a hang up,in regards to insurance, and doesn't believe it's necessary.

Last edited by lovechickens; 08/06/14 11:42 PM.
P
P
But for some reason he doesn't think insurance is important.
Is that okay?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

E
E
Lovechickens,

My concern if I were in your shoes would include the financial risk your husband is putting your whole family in by avoiding insurance.

If one of those trucks is involved in an accident, potential liability could be huge with no insurance buffer.

If he chooses no health insurance for his kids and himself, you are going to also be financially impacted if unexpected large medical costs occur.

50+ yo couple enjoying our empty nest.
Young adult kids out on their own.
"Enthusiastic agreement?" is our catch phrase.
M
M
Originally Posted by emilyann
If he chooses no health insurance for his kids and himself, you are going to also be financially impacted if unexpected large medical costs occur.

That won't be an issue if she is not married anymore. And that is where they are headed right now with the level of resentment over this issue. Dr Harley told her to cancel the insurance and that is what she needs to do.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
I would like my husband to listen to the program and then we'll discuss it. Every time I've brought this up he's gotten defensive. I'm planning on giving him a time frame and then I'll discontinue the insurance from him and my step kids
Here it is.
Radio Clip of lovechicken's Show

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
Emilyann,
I agree with you. I threatened last year to drop the insurance, but then I worry, the what ifs creep in, what if someone needs surgery? It would cost tens of thousands. One surgery or catastrophe can literally wipe out a family. He also has a motorcycle, not insured. Tonight I witnessed an accident in our town which involved a motorcycle and a car. He always says he's a good driver, but it only takes a split second, slippery road, bad tires etc, to cause a crash.

E
E
Lovechickens,

Just to clarify, I didn't mean you should put up with the status quo, because you are not enthusiastic about it. I think you need to negotiate to find a win-win solution for you both. Strong recommendation for Dr Harley's book "He Wins, She Wins". If your husband will not agree to follow POJA, that won't work, and your only alternative may be to legally end things.

Have you read "He Wins, She Wins"?

Dr. Harley frequently says on his radio show that blended family issues are the hardest, as I think your newer post about your stepson illustrates. But, you should not think, "I'm just the stepmother, what can I do?" POJA is the answer.

I expect you will think that your husband will never agree to POJA. Do you think he might be willing to do the course with you, or read the book, or maybe talk to Dr Steve Harley (dr. Harley's son) for phone counseling? Do you think if you let him know that it would take an agreement to POJA all issues for your marriage to survive, he would consider one of those approaches?

I don't see how your marriage can survive happily without an agreement on POJA.

E
E
One addition to my reply above. I think Dr. Harley would not suggest any threats, as those would be selfish demands. So the conversation is not, "if you don't agree to POJA, I'm leaving"

It is, "DH, I am very unhappy about carrying the insurance for stepchildren. are you willing to negotiate with me to come up with a solution we both can be happy with?" If the answer is no, he won't negotiate, talking to a lawyer about legally separating your finances (before dropping the insurance) might be wise and protect you financially.

The difference is that that is not a threat, but is instead a logical consequence of his actions.

Other conversations might include. "DH, I am unhappy about the financial risk we are taking by having uninsured vehicles, I would like us to negotiate something that protects us financially. "

And, "DH, I am not happy about current living arrangement with 18 yo son, let's negotiate a plan to deal with this."

M
M
One addition to my reply above. I think Dr. Harley would not suggest any threats, as those would be selfish demands. So the conversation is not, "if you don't agree to POJA, I'm leaving"

It is, "DH, I am very unhappy about carrying the insurance for stepchildren. are you willing to negotiate with me to come up with a solution we both can be happy with?" If the answer is no, he won't negotiate, talking to a lawyer about legally separating your finances (before dropping the insurance) might be wise and protect you financially.

EmilyAnn, you don't understand the POJA. She is not in enthusiastic agreement about carrying the insurance. The default position with the POJA is always to do nothing. You don't continue doing the thing that makes you unhappy and adding insult to injury. You STOP.

Dr Harley told her to cancel the insurance and we need to stick with what he advised.

LC, if you need clarification on Dr Harley's position, you can listen to the radio clip again. Thanks for posting it, Brainhurts!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Emilyann,
I agree with you. I threatened last year to drop the insurance, but then I worry, the what ifs creep in, what if someone needs surgery? It would cost tens of thousands. One surgery or catastrophe can literally wipe out a family. He also has a motorcycle, not insured. Tonight I witnessed an accident in our town which involved a motorcycle and a car. He always says he's a good driver, but it only takes a split second, slippery road, bad tires etc, to cause a crash.
In my experience, when someone who doesn't have insurance gets hurt, they are usually given hefty discounts out of charity.

Emily, stop scaring her into not following Dr. Harley's advice.

If he doesn't want to provide insurance for his kids, that's okay.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

E
E
***EDIT***

Last edited by Toujours; 08/11/14 09:36 PM. Reason: Advice contradicts Dr Harley

E
E
Prisca,

I'm not trying to convince LC to not follow Dr. Harley's advice
***EDIT***

Last edited by Toujours; 08/11/14 09:38 PM. Reason: Advice contradicts Dr Harley

M
M
***EDIT***

And what if she follows Dr Harley's advice and drops the insurance like he suggested? Manufacturing frightening hypotheticals does not resolve the problem.

Last edited by Toujours; 08/11/14 09:39 PM. Reason: Removing quote

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr Harley spent his personal time analyzing her situation and giving her his professional advice. I don't think he expected to be contradicted on his own forum.

Exposure 101

B
B

The difference is that that is not a threat, but is instead a logical consequence of his actions.

Other conversations might include. "DH, I am unhappy about the financial risk we are taking by having uninsured vehicles, I would like us to negotiate something that protects us financially. "

And, "DH, I am not happy about current living arrangement with 18 yo son, let's negotiate a plan to deal with this."
Maybe you didn't have time to listen to the whole show and lovechicken's segment? So here is just the segment of lovechicken's question so you can hear Dr. Harley's advice.

Radio Clip of lovechicken's question

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,358 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation