Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Prisca #2814519 08/12/14 11:50 AM
P
P
I want friends. I want a life. I want to not have to stay on the couch holding a 3 yr old all day.
Then have friends and a life. Do something other than staying home with your 3 year old. You are not tied to the house just because you have a 3 year old. You are also not tied to a just having a job as a way to escape. There are other things to do. Find something to do.

I want enough money to decorate my new house. I want to have a job to get away from the kids and have enough money to do stuff like go out to concerts and go shopping
I have a new house, too! I'm here cleaning it up and getting ready to move into it as I type to you. I want to fix it up and decorate it, too. In fact, shopping and planning ways to fix the house up could be a very fun thing to do that you might enjoy doing with your husband.

It might take you longer to do than you'd like because you can't buy everything you want up front. You'll have to take some time to get it all.

The question is, are these wants more important than your marriage? Are they worth putting your marriage at risk?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

SugarCane #2814520 08/12/14 11:50 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by feuillecouleur
We just moved in to our new house so we haven't been anywhere
Okay - tell me about any typical two weeks before you moved. What did you do, and how did you feel about it?

We usually just went out to eat or to a movie, the usual. We did go to Biltmore which was fun

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Then put them in daycare. Or find a SAHM who you can pay to watch the kids a few hours every day, for probably cheaper than daycare. It will probably mean not getting to do something else so that you can afford it.

But you can't GO to work to pay for it. Are you okay with that, to protect your marriage?

It makes me made bc I don't have a choice. I'm being told what to do

You are not a child. No one can tell you what you to do without your cooperation.

One thing that my H and I love to do that is not expensive is go out to dinner in places an hour away. The drive over and back is great UA time. We eat out a lot without spending much money, because we will split entrees in restaurants or eat in cheaper restaurants. Young couples have lots of such opportunities with a wide variety of restaurants.

Last night for example, we ate only appetizers at our favorite pizza place and then went shopping for computers afterwards. We ordered 3 appetizers and 2 drinks and it was around $24. We were both very full too.

Your dates don't have to be complicated. You can do easy things like going out for dinner followed by a drive or window shopping.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Prisca #2814522 08/12/14 11:54 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I want friends. I want a life. I want to not have to stay on the couch holding a 3 yr old all day.
Then have friends and a life. Do something other than staying home with your 3 year old. You are not tied to the house just because you have a 3 year old. You are also not tied to a just having a job as a way to escape. There are other things to do. Find something to do.

I want enough money to decorate my new house. I want to have a job to get away from the kids and have enough money to do stuff like go out to concerts and go shopping
I have a new house, too! I'm here cleaning it up and getting ready to move into it as I type to you. I want to fix it up and decorate it, too. In fact, shopping and planning ways to fix the house up could be a very fun thing to do that you might enjoy doing with your husband.

It might take you longer to do than you'd like because you can't buy everything you want up front. You'll have to take some time to get it all.

The question is, are these wants more important than your marriage? Are they worth putting your marriage at risk?

Congratulations! Isn't it exciting?? Our living room furniture is coming on Thurs! I'm so excited!

During our UA before we moved in we would go to furniture stores and decor stores to window shop and say what we liked and plan what to do with our new space. It was fun. I enjoyed it. I just feel bad because we have all this debt and all I do is sit around all day doing nothing to help the situation

MelodyLane #2814523 08/12/14 11:55 AM
M
M
Another thing you can do is go to the website of a major restaurant chain and get coupons. I get coupons for Red Lobster all the time. We even enjoy eating at Five Guys hamburgers sometimes and that is very inexpensive.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Prisca #2814524 08/12/14 11:56 AM
P
P
DJs:

"So it's ok for him to have independent behavior but not me?"
"I'm just pissed off bc I didn't want to post on here but he made me"
"so i'm suppose to live in this box and watch the world go by outside my window! not fair!"
"so how much longer is the suffering going to last? it's been over 3 yrs already"

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

MelodyLane #2814525 08/12/14 11:56 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Then put them in daycare. Or find a SAHM who you can pay to watch the kids a few hours every day, for probably cheaper than daycare. It will probably mean not getting to do something else so that you can afford it.

But you can't GO to work to pay for it. Are you okay with that, to protect your marriage?

It makes me made bc I don't have a choice. I'm being told what to do

You are not a child. No one can tell you what you to do without your cooperation.

One thing that my H and I love to do that is not expensive is go out to dinner in places an hour away. The drive over and back is great UA time. We eat out a lot without spending much money, because we will split entrees in restaurants or eat in cheaper restaurants. Young couples have lots of such opportunities with a wide variety of restaurants.

Last night for example, we ate only appetizers at our favorite pizza place and then went shopping for computers afterwards. We ordered 3 appetizers and 2 drinks and it was around $24. We were both very full too.

Your dates don't have to be complicated. You can do easy things like going out for dinner followed by a drive or window shopping.

Those are really great, doable ideas! Thanks!

Last edited by feuillecouleur; 08/12/14 11:57 AM.
P
P

That makes me feel like my future is already determined for me and I'm stuck here with these **** kids all day for the rest of my life. I would almost rather die

Your kids are not going to be young forever, and they won't be home for the rest of your life.

It doesn't feel like it right now, but it won't be long before you turn around and your 3 year old is a 9 year old kid who would rather spend time with his/her friends than you. Soon after that, he'll be graduated and gone.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2814527 08/12/14 11:58 AM
F
OP Offline
F
DJs:

"So it's ok for him to have independent behavior but not me?"
"I'm just pissed off bc I didn't want to post on here but he made me"
"so i'm suppose to live in this box and watch the world go by outside my window! not fair!"
"so how much longer is the suffering going to last? it's been over 3 yrs already"

How are those DJs? DJs are: "He never wants to do anything fun" or "He's so bossy"

M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Is that where UA comes in? because we don't do anything fun
Please tell us what you've done on all your UA dates for the past two weeks. Tell us how you felt when you were doing whatever it was.

We just moved in to our new house so we haven't been anywhere

I just want to point out that this is why you feel the way you do. This program doesn't work without the policy of UA.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
Our program for recovery only works when it's followed. The 15 hours of undivided attention we recommend is an essential part of the program because it provides the opportunity to meet emotional needs that cannot be met any other way. There are lots of excuses for failing to follow that aspect of our program, but in the end, failure to follow it results in a failed recovery.

If we saw that both of you were recovering well, I'd say that you are one of the very rare exceptions to the need to spend 15 hours a week together. But, since you are not recovering well, we can only conclude that your failure to spend enough time together, and make good use of that time meeting each other's emotional needs, is the culprit. http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2619668#Post2619668

Exposure 101

Prisca #2814529 08/12/14 12:00 PM
P
P
Like I said, I don't really have a choice
I get that feeling, too.

But it is a choice, it's just a choice you don't like having to make. You must choose between your job and your marriage. Whichever you choose, do what it takes to make that choice a success.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

MelodyLane #2814530 08/12/14 12:00 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Another thing you can do is go to the website of a major restaurant chain and get coupons. I get coupons for Red Lobster all the time. We even enjoy eating at Five Guys hamburgers sometimes and that is very inexpensive.

I am a coupon fanatic. But just going out to eat is not fun for me. I need something else

M
M

I am a coupon fanatic. But just going out to eat is not fun for me. I need something else

Such as?

Exposure 101

Prisca #2814532 08/12/14 12:01 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Like I said, I don't really have a choice
I get that feeling, too.

But it is a choice, it's just a choice you don't like having to make. You must choose between your job and your marriage. Whichever you choose, do what it takes to make that choice a success.

I feel like I'm doing it already by working the program

B
B

Like what? What else would you like to do?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Prisca #2814534 08/12/14 12:02 PM
P
P
Congratulations! Isn't it exciting?? Our living room furniture is coming on Thurs! I'm so excited!

During our UA before we moved in we would go to furniture stores and decor stores to window shop and say what we liked and plan what to do with our new space. It was fun. I enjoyed it. I just feel bad because we have all this debt and all I do is sit around all day doing nothing to help the situation
Yes, it is very exciting.

Window shopping for things to do with the house sounds like a very good way for you two to spend your time.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

MelodyLane #2814535 08/12/14 12:02 PM
F
OP Offline
F

Such as?

window shopping, decorating, home improvement

Last edited by feuillecouleur; 08/12/14 12:03 PM.
Prisca #2814536 08/12/14 12:03 PM
P
P
Then you need to stop dwelling on how much you want to get a job. You have made your choice. To dwell on the choice you did not make is counter-productive.

Last edited by Prisca; 08/12/14 12:03 PM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2814537 08/12/14 12:03 PM
F
OP Offline
F

Yes, it is very exciting.

Window shopping for things to do with the house sounds like a very good way for you two to spend your time.

I will suggest it to FTF

Prisca #2814539 08/12/14 12:04 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Then you need to stop dwelling on how much you want to get a job. You have made your choice. To dwell on the choice you did not make is counter-productive.

I just wish I could make money to do all the things I want to do is all

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation