Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
J
Originally Posted by IIjokerII
Not soon after she states that she is going out with her co workers, all women, after work this past Sunday. Although I am not controlling it would have been nice to have been consulted about my feelings or at least asked if I was cool with it. I don't know why but I had the irresistible urge to ask her if she was going on a date. She became very angry, self demeaning and left for work. I called to continue the conversation and she again said she'd make plans to move in with her mother.

. I talked to her for a bit and after a little bit of conversation she claimed that if I ever "Accused" her of or kept pushing it, which I only have asked one time due to her strange behavior, if she had one date, that she'd go ahead and do it and make sure to finish up just as I was getting home.

First, a better approach may be to say: "I feel uncomfortable about you going out without me"

As for her threats, that's a hot headed response of her's.

I would ignore her emotional responses and focus on Plan A (or Plan B if it comes down the road).

J
J
Joker,
This thread began 5 months ago, and the common theme that runs through it is fear and hesitance. You let those two things cloud your judgement.

Instead of fearing your wife's reaction to every action, take the steps in the program. Listen to the people who are advising you here.

Your wife sees that you are paralyzed by fear. That's why she walks all over you and the kids. By the way, women loath and despise weak men. They look for strength and fortitude in their mate. This does not mean you should become a bully or a Neanderthal. But it does mean you need to act decisively and be strategic.

It is time to set limit and stick with them. If she refuses to give up her independent lifestyle, then it is time for her to leave the home. Her actions over the past 5 months have been deal breakers, and you must empower yourself to tolerate them no more.

At this point, I would recommend you either Plan A from a distance or go to Plan B. But you have to act decisively and separate yourself from her intolerable ways.

Are you willing to man up?

Last edited by Justthe3ofus; 09/08/14 10:33 PM.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Justthe3ofus
Joker,
This thread began 5 months ago, and the common theme that runs through it is fear and hesitance. You let those two things cloud your judgement.

Instead of fearing your wife's reaction to every action, take the steps in the program. Listen to the people who are advising you here.

Your wife sees that you are paralyzed by fear. That's why she walks all over you and the kids. By the way, women loath and despise weak men. They look for strength and fortitude in their mate. This does not mean you should become a bully or a Neanderthal. But it does mean you need to act decisively and be strategic.

It is time to set limit and stick with them. If she refuses to give up her independent lifestyle, then it is time for her to leave the home. Her actions over the past 5 months have been deal breakers, and you must empower yourself to tolerate them no more.

At this point, I would recommend you either Plan A from a distance or go to Plan B. But you have to act decisively and separate yourself from her intolerable ways.

I agree with you, I am afraid, of being wrong, the battle ahead, her rubbing a new man in my face as I think she would do so, think anyway. I fear how she'll react if I ask her to leave if the stress gets to great and invariably get a overwhelming feeling of needing to keep this woman in my life, pretty sick I know but....

Supposedly her therapist suggested she simply go out with or without my opinion or feelings in the matter even considered, however truthful this is though is up for debate I guess. I've been to the best of my ability in plan A but this is taken advantage of and whatever actions or inactions she takes are continued.

I have taken all the good people's advice and thank them whole heartedly for there time and effort to guide me thru this maze, but some people have suggested 2 course of actions, either ask her to leave for now to protect myself and the children from her erratic behavior or remain in the atmosphere I am in now in the hopes of riding it out. The latter though is insanely tough as she still has not become open and transparent about anything, sure she'll tell me but as for me looking myself or being involved, not a chance.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
What do you mean you filled out the divorce paperwork?
I hope you visited an attorney and not a do-it-yourself divorce kit.

A combination of both, I had the consultation and noted his recommendations, yes I have almost completed the Paperwork, I do not have the 7500 dollars for the retainer fee and I know she has at the most maybe 2K, so neither of us are in a position for a financial war thru lawyers.

Also, after working for a Government installation for 12 years the JD forms were extremely easy to navigate. In the end, what choice do I have?

What did you do Sir?

S
S
Originally Posted by Justthe3ofus
If she refuses to give up her independent lifestyle, then it is time for her to leave the home. Her actions over the past 5 months have been deal breakers, and you must empower yourself to tolerate them no more.

joker, there are many posts on this forum outlining Dr Harley's position which is NOT to ask a WW to leave the home, if you want to recover the marriage should the affair ever die. You, and other posters here, should be familiar with his advice by now. There is even a thread on which Dr Harley himself participated. I'm sure Brainy will read this and link it imminently (thanks, Brainy!)

Please follow Dr Harley's programme properly or not at all. He advises a lengthy Plan A for men with WWs, and that, should it come to Plan B, the man should move out. You need to take legal advice about the welfare of your children before you do that, however.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
F
I'm no Brainy but here it is: When should a Wayward Wife be asked to leave

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Great discussion! Here is my opinion on the subject:

Since most men I've counseled are more emotionally and physically resilient than women to the extreme stress that being the victim of an affair creates, I encourage men to fight for their marriage much longer than I would encourage women. What that means is that they are to try to remain in Plan A as long as possible, avoiding Love Busters, and doing what they can to meet her emotional needs. They do that while still living together.

If the husband gets to a point where he cannot take the stress any longer, and must go into plan B, I encourage him to leave the home rather than kicking her out. This strategy is designed to demonstrate his care for her even under the adverse conditions of her betrayal. Since most affairs die a natural death soon after exposure, when she decides to give her marriage a chance to succeed, she remembers his thoughtfulness at a time that he could have been vengeful.

Granted, everything in a husband would encourage him to do the opposite. He wants to punish her for what she did, and let her stew in her own juices. But upon returning, which commonly happens even when a husband acts with vengeance (affairs almost always die a natural death even when the husband acts like a jerk), she will remember the vengeful acts far into the future, making a full recovery much more difficult.

When an unfaithful wife tells a husband to leave, I encourage him to stay as long as he can tolerate the stress. If she decides to leave on her own, I encourage him to let her go. The issue at hand is about kicking her out versus not kicking her out and I strongly recommend not kicking her out.

There are successful accounts of marriages recovering after a husband kicks his wife out, but my opinion is that it is a very risky move. The affair must go so badly that she returns home because she has no other choice. In most marriages, however, women do have choices. When the affair is over, is she drawn to the husband who cared enough about her to let her stay in her own home, or the husband who threw her out on the street? The idea that by letting her stay in the home he is not acting like a man, and she will disrespect him for it, may be true for some women. But the majority would see it as an act of kindness, something they need in their marriage to a man.

I'd be happy to discuss this issue further with anyone who writes me at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

Best wishes,
Dr. Harley

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
An additional comment: When children are involved, a husband should consult with an attorney before he leaves to avoid the impression that he's abandoning the children. A legal visitation schedule should be arranged before he leaves. But if he feels that leaving the children would subject them to abuse or other forms of hardship, he should try to gain custody. If that's not possible, I would advise him to stick it out a while longer, all the while being in contact with a therapist who can help him with the depression he will be experiencing. Antidepressant medication would certainly be in order.

Dr. Harley

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
N
N
What her therapist says is irrelevant and self serving to her and your WW. Pay NOT one bit of attention to what her therapist says.
Remember don't believe a thing the wayward says, it is FOG babble.

Said earlier, - you need to man up.

I
OP Offline
I
I am familiar as I have read LOTS and lots of posts, my situation seems similar to an individual named Wheel spinning long ago. I've been in plan A since January, the affair died out in Late April or so, cannot confirm as transparency is not present and rebuffed when asked.

The Lawyer said that at any time I can take the children with me and relocate as needed so long as it is still within the state since no Custody order is in effect. This runs the serious risk though of shocking the children by dragging them from their home and more than likely changing schools. They have roots now, unsure how'd they react.

as J3U pointed out she does not put any effort into this what so ever and seeming since she is the common denominator in all this introduced domestic chaos it seems logical that I request her to leave but keep the option open for reconciliation. This will run the risk of the marriage tanking out but if she is sabotaging it anyway thru passive or direct means of stubbornness and self imposed irritation the risk is there as well, kinda makes it tough to decide.

I thought about leaving for a bit once or twice, something Harley suggests that the man should do. Then I remembered Melody Lanes thread about Men not leaving their home. Which approach is right in this instance?

F
F
I thought about leaving for a bit once or twice, something Harley suggests that the man should do. Then I remembered Melody Lanes thread about Men not leaving their home. Which approach is right in this instance?

Melody's thread is here : Men, do not leave your home

Dr Harley's comments were added to that thread. Melody was referring to a situation where a WW asks (demands) her husband to leave the home. Dr Harley's advice is addressing the question of whether a man should "kick his WW out". Two different things.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
J
J
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
What do you mean you filled out the divorce paperwork?
I hope you visited an attorney and not a do-it-yourself divorce kit.

A combination of both, I had the consultation and noted his recommendations, yes I have almost completed the Paperwork, I do not have the 7500 dollars for the retainer fee and I know she has at the most maybe 2K, so neither of us are in a position for a financial war thru lawyers.

Also, after working for a Government installation for 12 years the JD forms were extremely easy to navigate. In the end, what choice do I have?

What did you do Sir?

There's an old saying that only a fool represents himself in court.
I didn't have the money either, and I borrowed the money from family.

Do whatever you need to do to hire an attorney. When there is custody involved you need to prepare for war

J
J
So then what are you going to do? Your version of Plan A isn't working.

Your wife is unsafe and unstable. This is not the kind of environment your children should be constantly exposed to, and her out-of-control behavior shows no signs of abating.

If you still have hope for saving your marriage, I would write her a letter telling her that she is the love of your life and you would like to renew your marriage. Tell her you have a plan that will lead to lasting happiness and romantic love. But also tell her that the plan requires her to end contact with life with the man in California and requires her to end her independent behavior. It would also require the two of you to spend time together nurturing your marriage. I would then let her know that when she is ready to commit to this kind of a plan, she may return to the home, but until then you are no longer able to tolerate her behavior, you can't live with her, and if it doesn't change you will file for a legal separation.

If she doesn't agree to these terms, change the locks.

M
M
I am familiar as I have read LOTS and lots of posts, my situation seems similar to an individual named Wheel spinning long ago. I've been in plan A since January, the affair died out in Late April or so, cannot confirm as transparency is not present and rebuffed when asked.

The Lawyer said that at any time I can take the children with me and relocate as needed so long as it is still within the state since no Custody order is in effect. This runs the serious risk though of shocking the children by dragging them from their home and more than likely changing schools. They have roots now, unsure how'd they react.

as J3U pointed out she does not put any effort into this what so ever and seeming since she is the common denominator in all this introduced domestic chaos it seems logical that I request her to leave but keep the option open for reconciliation. This will run the risk of the marriage tanking out but if she is sabotaging it anyway thru passive or direct means of stubbornness and self imposed irritation the risk is there as well, kinda makes it tough to decide.

The ONLY responsible choice would be to LEAVE the home with your children. It is reckless and irresponsible to leave your children ALONE with this woman. Your kids don't give a DAMN about your bills. You need to get them out of there and make arrangements for their care.

Please don't use my thread as an excuse to get yourself and your kids out of there. You are taking it out of context.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
his runs the serious risk though of shocking the children by dragging them from their home and more than likely changing schools. They have roots now, unsure how'd they react.

I am certain you are joking, Sir. Children are not "shocked" when they are removed from abusive, neglectful situations, they are relieved. It is your OBLIGATION AS A FATHER to remove them from this situation or you are just as guilty as your wife.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S

Are you seriously telling me that you think it's better for your children to be abused and neglected by their mother than to move house and be protected by you? Do you think children want to hang on to their "roots" more than they want to be safe, loved and cared for?

How old are your children?

You keep coming here to talk about the affair. You are saying that the affair died out in April and there is no sign of it now, so you're in the position of several other posters whose fought against their wives' affairs and won.

The problem is that the affair is only one of several problems that you have, all of which are bigger than the affair.

There are the problems of her drinking, her addiction to computer games, her bi-polar and suicide attempts, her neglect of the kids and her abuse of the kids and you. You keep wanting to put those problems to one side and focus on the affair, but the affair should never have been a bigger concern than all those other things. Your problems all along was not "surviving an affair".

Are the kids all at school? What level of care and attention is your wife giving them when they get home? Are they still being fed oatmeal by the 11 year-old child and then put to bed at 5PM so that she can play games for the rest of the evening?

The poster Wheels Spinning did not have a drunken, abusive, bi-polar, suicidal wife, by the way. Your situation is NOTHING like his and there is no hope of recovering your marriage unless your wife is admitted to a treatment programme..

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 431 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation