Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
J
J
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
Now that this has evolved, I've realized that I am happier with more distance from him and want to keep it that way.

The "new man" is not interested in having Steubenville hang out there, and other than a pre-arranged doing Christmas with the kids together this year so neither of us had to miss it (which the "new man" has said would be OK with him this once since it was already set up - BUT that Steubenville better not disrespect anyone in my home), so Steubenville's visits will become a thing of the past.

In light of what happened with my DD15 over Thanksgiving, I'm not sure I should have Steubenville over for Christmas anyway, especially if they are not reconciled.

As a general rule, Dr. Harley recommends that in marriage you have no contact with anyone you had a romantic relationship with in the past. This includes ex husbands and wives.

J
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
His children are somewhat estranged over his prior divorce (his ex-wife was divisive), but he is making strides in restoring the relationship with his children, and is very motivated to be successful. I think I'll get the opportunity to meet one of them within a month.
Be sure to get that child's side on why they are estranged.

Also, call and speak with his ex wife

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
His children are somewhat estranged over his prior divorce (his ex-wife was divisive), but he is making strides in restoring the relationship with his children, and is very motivated to be successful. I think I'll get the opportunity to meet one of them within a month.

I have given that some thought.

Would speaking with his MC or their pastor (who agreed that he had to get out of the marriage) be as valid?

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
S
OP Offline
S
As a general rule, Dr. Harley recommends that in marriage you have no contact with anyone you had a romantic relationship with in the past. This includes ex husbands and wives.

I am not sure what I had with my xH ever really qualified as a romantic relationship... lol ...but I do understand the point.

There is nothing my xH could ever do to make me feel one ounce of attraction to him again - I can't be attracted to the man he is - but I recently read a quote from Oswald Chambers that said "An unguarded strength is a double weakness."

I just haven't made my children face the normal dynamics following a divorce. I thought in time that would work itself out - which it has in that the times we are together are growing fewer and farther. I agree it is time to give that a stronger nudge.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
I put off my wedding to my first post-divorce boyfriend to the 2 year mark, and learned some things at a year and a half that I would not have known otherwise.

And then in retrospect we had a serious value clash from the beginning. I am a very involved parent, and my ex boyfriend hadn't seen his son in years. He told me he had gone to court to fight it, but that was actually pretty far from the truth and there was a lot of evidence for that that I was overlooking because of that chemical thing. The disparity between the picture he painted and what the facts were, the little facts that we knew, were so drastic that my mom stopped letting him come over. Still, with all this discord, I didn't see through it until after we broke up.

Thank you for this perspective. Upon reflecting on the advice from the forum, and also specifically on your comment here, I agree that I will give this more time. To let the stunningly wonderful compatibilities in so many ways we seem to have stand a test of some time.

As well, I will not move forward with a marriage if my family (who I dearly love and respect) is seeing warning signs and cautioning me not to. I should have listened to them last time. I mentioned earlier that everyone who cared about me was warning me vigorously not to marry Steubenville.

Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
You are so soon out of your divorce, and I would have liked to see you go through the holidays without a partner, to experience that, to see God's grace, comfort and protection whether you have a partner or not. But maybe you already had that experience from the past.

I spent last Christmas out of state with all of my family and all of my children, DIL and DGD2 (without Steubenville, who visited his own family by himself). It was really wonderful, peaceful and very healing. To your point, I'm very thankful that I was able to experience a peaceful holiday season focused with God as my only provider and protector. It certainly did draw me closer to him.

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
What is the reason he says he's estranged from his children?
I never saw an answer to this.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to have your XH over for Christmas or any holidays. You're divorced, so he should make his own plans with the kids.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S

His xW turned them against him, openly excluded him from her time and activities with them, and would tell them (in front of him) to not obey their father if he wanted them to do chores - why should they do them when their father didn't want to do them himself? She also had been running him down to his and her family for years in the same manner she ran him down to his children.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to have your XH over for Christmas or any holidays. You're divorced, so he should make his own plans with the kids.

I agree. This Christmas had already been agreed to, and I feel OK about it for now. I will do this for all future holidays.

Our teenage DDs certainly did NOT have a good time with the Thanksgiving holiday they just had with him, when he kicked them out of his house at 10 pm. I think that not having holidays with the kids (giving them to him) is a bum rap after all the years he kept threatening to leave, but as this past Thanksgiving shows, perhaps that will work itself out and I will not miss as many family times with the children as expected.

One of the reasons I had so many children is because I knew a future with Steubenville would be very bleak, and at least I wanted to look forward to many happy times with my children and their families. I thank God that my future might now hold not only that, but also a loving and dear husband as well (who I may have already found....but will give it time to tell, as advised).

J
J

I have given that some thought.

Would speaking with his MC or their pastor (who agreed that he had to get out of the marriage) be as valid?

Legally, the counselor should not disclose counseling sessions to his girlfriend.
Dr. Harley, as a general rule, encourages calling the ex-wife and asking: Why did the marriage end? What were your chief complaints about him? Etc.

J
J

I am not sure what I had with my xH ever really qualified as a romantic relationship... lol ...but I do understand the point.

There is nothing my xH could ever do to make me feel one ounce of attraction to him again - I can't be attracted to the man he is - but I recently read a quote from Oswald Chambers that said "An unguarded strength is a double weakness."

I just haven't made my children face the normal dynamics following a divorce. I thought in time that would work itself out - which it has in that the times we are together are growing fewer and farther. I agree it is time to give that a stronger nudge.

Everyone that is divorced feels a similar way.
BUT, many affairs start between ex's. It is a boundary issue.

I
I
Originally Posted by living_well
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Personally, I wouldn't have confided serious problems in someone this early on. I think one of the best tests is not to show blood, lest you attract sharks. Of course that doesn't mean he is one.

We need to have a dedicated thread for Indie Specials. This is so wonderful and so true :-)

Aww thanks!

Now - Sunny, pick up the scissors and cut your ex out of your life.

Saying you 'don't mind' him there is like saying you don't mind having a big pile of trash in one of your rooms.

Now I'm sure you have the resources to get around having a big pile of trash in your living room. That you have the inner peace to see that there are stars outside your window, just past the big pile of trash!

But it is crazy to go on having it there nevertheless! My god, what he has put you thorough. You should keep him as far away from your life as possible.

It will also have a good effect on your dating life. It tells suitors you don't stay in touch with old lovers confirming a) you're likely to be faithful and b) if they cross you they will lose the best thing they ever had!

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/11/14 01:28 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Our teenage DDs certainly did NOT have a good time with the Thanksgiving holiday they just had with him, when he kicked them out of his house at 10 pm. I think that not having holidays with the kids (giving them to him) is a bum rap after all the years he kept threatening to leave, but as this past Thanksgiving shows, perhaps that will work itself out and I will not miss as many family times with the children as expected.

It hurts any decent parent to consider their children not having joint parenting, but if you feel that way you dont divorce unless faced with scumbag behaviour.

Keeping a scumbag ex around, in yours and their sanctuary, is not going to help the kids.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/11/14 01:26 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

J
J
Originally Posted by living_well
Personally, I wouldn't have confided serious problems in someone this early on. I think one of the best tests is not to show blood, lest you attract sharks. Of course that doesn't mean he is one.

We need to have a dedicated thread for Indie Specials. This is so wonderful and so true :-)

Aww thanks!

Now - Sunny, pick up the scissors and cut your ex out of your life.

Saying you 'don't mind' him there is like saying you don't mind having a big pile of trash in one of your rooms.

Now I'm sure you have the resources to get around having a big pile of trash in your living room. That you have the inner peace to see that there are stars outside your window, just past the big pile of trash!

But it is crazy to go on having it there nevertheless! My god, what he has put you thorough. You should keep him as far away from your life as possible.

It will also have a good effect on your dating life. It tells suitors you don't stay in touch with old lovers confirming a) you're likely to be faithful and b) if they cross you they will lose the best thing they ever had!

Personally, I would not date someone that still is around their ex. I also would not date a woman whose best friend is a man.
If you watch the Santa Claus movie series, he was always around the ex and her new husband and I think it just causes confusion for kids viewing it. It must have been written by a wayward.

S
OP Offline
S

Good point, Jedi.

I have no desire to be around my ex - so that will be an easy step.

I will take that separation to the next step on Dec 26 since Christmas has already been set up for a long time and the kids have planned around it.

S
S

His xW turned them against him, openly excluded him from her time and activities with them, and would tell them (in front of him) to not obey their father if he wanted them to do chores - why should they do them when their father didn't want to do them himself? She also had been running him down to his and her family for years in the same manner she ran him down to his children.

Seems fishy and not really believable to me. Sorry.

It would be very hard to turn my kids against their father...and you would think it would be easy as he has done a lot of crappy things to them. But as long as he is involved and gives them any attention, they both want some type of a relationship with him. I would say my DD19 has been estranged on and off from her father for a while now, but as long as he TRIES, she will cave and let him in.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
B
B
Originally Posted by SusieQ

It would be very hard to turn my kids against their father...and you would think it would be easy as he has done a lot of crappy things to them. But as long as he is involved and gives them any attention, they both want some type of a relationship with him. I would say my DD19 has been estranged on and off from her father for a while now, but as long as he TRIES, she will cave and let him in.
I agree. Something seems "off" as to why he's estranged from them. If they are older kids then they can make their own decisions. Are they minor children? How old are they?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
His xW turned them against him, openly excluded him from her time and activities with them,

If it's HER time with her kids then what's the problem? They are divorced. If she was such a troll then why does he even want to be around her? redflag

Sounds like she could be in Plan B (smart woman given they are divorced) and he is the one with problem. What activities?

and would tell them (in front of him) to not obey their father if he wanted them to do chores - why should they do them when their father didn't want to do them himself? She also had been running him down to his and her family for years in the same manner she ran him down to his children.

Hmmmmm I would not take his word for this. It could be the truth or have some truth but you only have his word about what has transpired.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
Originally Posted by SusieQ

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
His xW turned them against him, openly excluded him from her time and activities with them,

If it's HER time with her kids then what's the problem? They are divorced. If she was such a troll then why does he even want to be around her? redflag

No, this was while they were married. She wouldn't invite him or even allow him to come along at his request when she was taking the kids to games or family fun activities. He is not trying to join these activities with her now that they are divorced.

He is making headway with the only child who is still a minor. I think I'll be able to meet her within a month and will be able to assess it then.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/11/14 03:57 PM.

S
OP Offline
S
Hmmmmm I would not take his word for this. It could be the truth or have some truth but you only have his word about what has transpired.

I hope to meet his daughter within the next month. It seems she is opening up to his overtures. I'll be able to understand the situation much better then.

B
B

No, this was while they were married. She wouldn't invite him or even allow him to come along at his request when she was taking the kids to games or family fun activities.

He is making headway with the only child who is still a minor. I think I'll be able to meet her within a month and will be able to assess it then.

So he is a wimp? Sorry but he didn't have to be invited to go see his children's games. If he wanted to be there, he would have been there. This sounds lame to me.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 301 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation