Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
I don't think I could honestly in good faith thank a partner for telling me I was the cause of a terrible car crash. But thankfully your relationship hasn't deteriorated to that point.
Only being responsible for wrecking a car would be an improvement for me. No, he blamed me for his daughter leaving to go live with her mother because of the punishment *I* issued for her unauthorized party at our house. And this he did early in our marriage when I was meeting his EN's and he was happy with me.

Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
It can be hard to infer tone from postings, but you sound so weary and frustrated. Which makes sense after being lovebusted so long. I want to enjoy this process, to be able to look back on these holidays as the start of some new patterns that bring your family peace and joy together. We crossposted yesterday, did you get to read that link to the Conversation is Boring article I posted?
I think I'm more resigned than weary. Weary was a while back. I had read your link previously, read it again when you sent it. It's just not appropriate with the current state of our relationship. Like addressing a paper-cut when there's a gaping chest wound. But thank you for your kind words.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by living_well
I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. We all have uncomfortable feelings from time to time and the urge to blame someone else for them can be very strong. Indeed, if you drop something heavy on your toe, your brain flashes with a moment of real anger. During that moment there is a natural reflex to look for someone to blame. But that moment soon passes if you let it.

Being a victim is always a choice. Decide today that you are never again going to be a victim.
What you've described sounds very much like a victim mentality, that being the urge to blame someone else. From Wikipedia, under "victim mentality": "blaming others for a situation that one has created oneself or significantly contributed to." This might be natural for some people, but not all people, not healthy people. If not a victim mentality, it is at least a lack of impulse control.

I'm not accepting the blame from him. Regardless, it's a love buster for me and has contributed significantly to our situation. For me to choose not to be a victim would be to choose not to continue to expose myself to the behavior, which I'm doing, first by withdrawal, then with separation, likely ending in divorce because the behavior doesn't change.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 01/02/15 07:49 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
Only being responsible for wrecking a car would be an improvement for me. No, he blamed me for his daughter leaving to go live with her mother because of the punishment *I* issued for her unauthorized party at our house.
Have you read Dr Harley's material on blended families? He actually recommends against the step parent giving out discipline.

Did you POJA the discipline with him?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Only being responsible for wrecking a car would be an improvement for me. No, he blamed me for his daughter leaving to go live with her mother because of the punishment *I* issued for her unauthorized party at our house.
Have you read Dr Harley's material on blended families? He actually recommends against the step parent giving out discipline.

In this case, I DIDN'T participate in the discipline but still got blamed. Other times, we did do POJA, but when it went bad, as blended families do, he still turned and blamed me, even though he was party to the process. Regardless, the kids are long grown and gone so it's somewhat moot. It was just a glaring example of what happens regularly on a smaller scale.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 01/02/15 09:41 PM.
B
B

In this case, I DIDN'T participate in the discipline but still got blamed. Other times, we did do POJA, but when it went bad, as blended families do, he still turned and blamed me, even though he was party to the process. Regardless, the kids are long grown and gone so it's somewhat moot. It was just a glaring example of what happens regularly on a smaller scale.
Aww gotcha. Dr. Harley says blended families have such high failure wait because POJA isn't followed.

Have you seen this?
Resentment Type A and Type B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
OP Offline
J
I don't think I've seen that article, but I'll check it out.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 01/02/15 10:09 PM.
L
L
I'm not accepting the blame from him. Regardless, it's a love buster for me and has contributed significantly to our situation.

Yes of course it is.

For me to choose not to be a victim would be to choose not to continue to expose myself to the behavior, which I'm doing, first by withdrawal, then with separation, likely ending in divorce because the behavior doesn't change.

Here I would disagree. You choose not to be a victim. . . by choosing not to be a victim. It really is that simple.

You remove yourself from the situation both mentally and physically. You politely say that it is unacceptable to blame you and then you LEAVE THE ROOM. If you are stuck in a car when it happens, you put on headphones and listen to music.

I read postings from you about 10 year old events . What about just letting this stuff go? It is a cancer that is sucking the joy out of your life.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
J
OP Offline
J
For me to choose not to be a victim would be to choose not to continue to expose myself to the behavior, which I'm doing, first by withdrawal, then with separation, likely ending in divorce because the behavior doesn't change.
Here I would disagree. You choose not to be a victim. . . by choosing not to be a victim. It really is that simple.

You remove yourself from the situation both mentally and physically. You politely say that it is unacceptable to blame you and then you LEAVE THE ROOM. If you are stuck in a car when it happens, you put on headphones and listen to music.
And I see my having to alter MY behavior to accommodate his still makes me the victim, just voluntarily so. If I had wanted to have on headphones, I would have already. I'm suggesting that there are different ways to address it. Different people, different situations, different approaches. I'm glad you found one that works for you. Mine works for me and I believe mirrors what Dr. Harley describes as the natural progression of an unhealthy dynamic. I think it's alright if we disagree, do you?

I read postings from you about 10 year old events . What about just letting this stuff go? It is a cancer that is sucking the joy out of your life.
Referencing the older events shows that the behavior is a long-term pattern, behavior that happens even when he's getting his needs met from me. The "cancer" you're referring to is an overdrawn love bank today, which I readily acknowledge. Not discussing it is not going to put those withdrawals back in. And I don't have these conversations or even thoughts if I'm not talking with someone about the dysfunction in my relationship. Just curious, since you're now D'd and remarried, how long ago was the car accident accusation? We either learn from the past or we're doomed to repeat it, and I've heard Dr. Harley say the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Why, then, would I want to forget or ignore it, especially when the behavior is the same today?

L
L
I'm glad you found one that works for you.
I don't have 'one that works for me', I refuse to be a victim and have always refused to be one.

I think it's alright if we disagree, do you?
absolutely

Just curious, since you're now D'd and remarried, how long ago was the car accident accusation?

Goodness, that was probably 10 years ago. I laughed about it then and laugh now just remembering it. He was always pulling that kind of stuff. Of course the cheating was my fault too :-)

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
J
OP Offline
J
Of course the cheating was my fault too :-)
Yeah, sounds about right. %)

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 01/03/15 01:52 PM.
J
J
I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. We all have uncomfortable feelings from time to time and the urge to blame someone else for them can be very strong. Indeed, if you drop something heavy on your toe, your brain flashes with a moment of real anger. During that moment there is a natural reflex to look for someone to blame. But that moment soon passes if you let it.

Being a victim is always a choice. Decide today that you are never again going to be a victim.
What you've described sounds very much like a victim mentality, that being the urge to blame someone else. From Wikipedia, under "victim mentality": "blaming others for a situation that one has created oneself or significantly contributed to." This might be natural for some people, but not all people, not healthy people. If not a victim mentality, it is at least a lack of impulse control.

I'm not accepting the blame from him. Regardless, it's a love buster for me and has contributed significantly to our situation. For me to choose not to be a victim would be to choose not to continue to expose myself to the behavior, which I'm doing, first by withdrawal, then with separation, likely ending in divorce because the behavior doesn't change.

Dont get into these terms.
Just focus on following Dr Harleys methods and Email him for guidAnce if needed

H
H
I complained that I feel like I'm a single parent of TWO teenagers, that my daily life is chaos, and that I wished he shared in the responsibility of life in a more conscious/intentional manner.

faint

What a hair-raisingly disrespectful way to speak to your husband...

While you have page after page of commiserating about what a clod he is, it's rather strange that comparing your husband to a child gets swept under the rug... when it is a huge contributor to the state of your marriage.

What this, and earlier complaints in this thread about his honesty, bring to mind, is Dr. Harley's approach to fostering honesty in a relationship, which you can read here.

Note, I am not exonerating your husband of wrong doing, but if we as posters are doing our best to help you, we are not commiserating with you about his failures, or "validating your feelings about his actions."

Instead, if we as posters are doing our best, we are helping you find ways to keep your side of the street clean, and doing the same with him.

For instance, disagreements can be had without argument with a simple, short statement; "I am not enthusiastic about that."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I complained that I feel like I'm a single parent of TWO teenagers, that my daily life is chaos, and that I wished he shared in the responsibility of life in a more conscious/intentional manner.
faint

While you have page after page of commiserating about what a clod he is, it's rather strange that comparing your husband to a child gets swept under the rug... when it is a huge contributor to the state of your marriage.
I've read a number of your other posts. You have a brash, castigating way about you, so I'm surprised you would have even noticed something as subtle as that. Regardless, I'll take blunt honesty over sugar-coated fluff any day of the week, but that means I give it exactly the same way. Under the circumstances, I'm actually quite proud of that interaction with him: I spoke in "I feel" statements, avoided an AO, provided him with instructions on what I needed him to do to address it, and kept it short and to the point. Don't expect any better from me right now, it's not going to happen. I'm barely managing that.

Besides, regardless of all of the above, my H doesn't do "subtle."

What this, and earlier complaints in this thread about his honesty, bring to mind, is Dr. Harley's approach to fostering honesty in a relationship, which you can read here.
I've read that before. I either don't understand the instruction Dr. Harley is giving or I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. I even looked up the word recrimination to see if I could decipher what I was missing. As I understand it, the only thing that approach would do for me is drain my love bank faster.

Was there a particular point you were trying to make?

Note, I am not exonerating your husband of wrong doing, but if we as posters are doing our best to help you, we are not commiserating with you about his failures, or "validating your feelings about his actions."

Instead, if we as posters are doing our best, we are helping you find ways to keep your side of the street clean, and doing the same with him.
Don't commiserate or validate, I certainly don't need that! And I'm not looking for advice on how to clean my side of the street. I'm perfectly capable of following Dr. Harley's principles and did so for years (feel free to validate this statement with my H.) Right now, I am not. My love bank is exhausted and I've been in a holding pattern since April waiting to see if my M can be saved, waiting for my H to follow Dr. Harley's principles and personal advice to him. He hasn't. In September/October, I did six weeks of Plan A to eliminate my H's excuses. He still hasn't done it. My side of the street is irrelevant at this point if my H can't demonstrate that he's capable of doing it too. If my perspective is not valuable to anyone in regards to assisting my H with his thread, then I won't waste everyone's time.

For instance, disagreements can be had without argument with a simple, short statement; "I am not enthusiastic about that."
And then what happens? In my case, my H goes and does it anyway. But if you read my thread, you should know that.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 01/05/15 10:50 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by SugarCane
The really confusing part is that he will respond to other questions in the same email, but not ones about coaching.
We can only suggest that you ask Dr Harley again, more directly. Make this the only question in the email so that it does not get lost among other questions.
Yes, please ask Dr. Harley.
I received a response from Dr. Harley. He said, simply, "I encourage any couple who have exhausted their resources in finding a way to solve their marital problems to participate in the Marriage Builders Online Program." I've also noticed some chatter on my H's thread, asking if I would be willing to participate or at least give my H feedback.

I have three concerns.

First, I have absolutely no interest in doing another "program" that teaches the Harley principles. I'm saturated. Remark has copies of several Harley workbooks that I've filled out for him. My involvement in that regard shouldn't be necessary.

Second, I have no doubt that it has been very successful for a large number of couples. But like P90X, you actually have to DO what it instructs you to DO in order for it to be effective. That has always been my H's problem, and I don't see what "power" an accountability coach has to make him do it, any more than others/counselors have had in the past. I'm afraid for him/us, it will just be a waste of money.

Last, regarding my feedback. Here's what I'm imagining for that:

Yesterday, I told him that I don't believe that he loves me, that I feel like I live under his constant disdain. I pointed out that the people on the forum see the same thing, describing his words as laced with "withering contempt" and disrespect in every other sentence. I said that I believe there are behaviors inherent in the feeling of love for someone, such as wanting to do things to make them happy, sometimes (voluntarily) sacrificially, which he has never demonstrated. I referenced his statement that he felt like giving up what he wanted for what I wanted was like "putting his testicles in my purse." I said he seemed to have entered this marriage with no concept of the idea that maybe *I* wanted something out of it too, and that he had made it all about him since day one. He lies to me about minutia, throws me under the bus for other people, never addresses my complaints. Even his current efforts to save this marriage seem much more to do with not wanting to lose his standard of living than it has to do with me. If I were to die and leave him everything so he could just insert another woman into my role of cook/housekeeper/sex partner, he wouldn't skip a beat.

In his daily report to Dr. Harley this morning, he wrote, "Sheri said she believes my heart is wrong, does not love her, and she wants to end the marriage with a divorce. She said �If I loved her, I would not have deceived her re the toilet� and that is her foundation for judging my heart.... It sickens me to think about a toilet being the end of our marriage." "

I feel like once again he made me out to look like an "unreasonable cow" (thank you SugarCane.) Afterall, what sort of rational human being would judge a M or throw a M out because of one incident with a toilet? And yesterday, he posted on his thread that he had eliminated 3 entire categories of LB's, when I had just told him that I didn't perceive that he had eliminated any LB's. Am I supposed to offer feedback on these inaccuracies? Is this the sort of assessment I'm supposed to do? If so, I don't think I have the desire. If not, how can the coach possibly sort through the BS?

I don't want to commit to something that I'm not going to be able to follow through on. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what to expect before I do.

B
B
To clarify, he doesn't claim that I micro-manage all the time, just in these two incidents. Our life/house is too much of a mess for him to claim that.
Great, all the more reason to thank him for the complaint. Sounds easy to resolve.

What I understand is that he doesn't like me to have parameters on what I ask of him and that I should be happy with whatever he delivers. For example, I can ask for pizza, but I can't specify when I would like it or what kind of toppings.

My DH likes the kitchen to be very clean. I have told him that I will do my best to not leave a mess. But I do not want him to stand at the door giving detailed instructions while I scrub. We don't eat pizza but specifying the kind of toppings might be like standing at the door giving instructions so yes, I can see that.

Telling a spouse what toppings you would like on a pizza is not micro managing IMO. Seems like it would be a frustrating dance to tell someone what you don't want vs clearly telling them what you would like. The former would only create more poor communication problems and frustration.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
JDD,

Only you can make the decision if you don't want to do the coaching or stay married vs pursue divorce but I will tell you that my ex was A LOT like Remark and I was beyond tired of holding his hand and spoon feeding him after YEARS of him dropping the ball, making promises, "trying", dropping the ball, rinse and repeat.

You sound like you are trying to convince yourself that you should continue in the marriage even though you know the likely outcome. You don't need anyone's permission for either.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
H
H
faint

I've read a number of your other posts. You have a brash, castigating way about you, so I'm surprised you would have even noticed something as subtle as that. Regardless, I'll take blunt honesty over sugar-coated fluff any day of the week, but that means I give it exactly the same way. Under the circumstances, I'm actually quite proud of that interaction with him: I spoke in "I feel" statements, avoided an AO, provided him with instructions on what I needed him to do to address it, and kept it short and to the point. Don't expect any better from me right now, it's not going to happen. I'm barely managing that.

Besides, regardless of all of the above, my H doesn't do "subtle."

You didn't avoid an AO at all. You may have avoided raising your voice, or cursing... but you resorted to disrespect. Don't play on that level.

I've read that before. I either don't understand the instruction Dr. Harley is giving or I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. I even looked up the word recrimination to see if I could decipher what I was missing. As I understand it, the only thing that approach would do for me is drain my love bank faster.

Was there a particular point you were trying to make?

Yes. Stop resorting to anger, disrespect, and demands as a way to get your needs met, or as a reaction to his Love Busting.

Don't commiserate or validate, I certainly don't need that! And I'm not looking for advice on how to clean my side of the street. I'm perfectly capable of following Dr. Harley's principles and did so for years (feel free to validate this statement with my H.) Right now, I am not. My love bank is exhausted and I've been in a holding pattern since April waiting to see if my M can be saved, waiting for my H to follow Dr. Harley's principles and personal advice to him. He hasn't. In September/October, I did six weeks of Plan A to eliminate my H's excuses. He still hasn't done it. My side of the street is irrelevant at this point if my H can't demonstrate that he's capable of doing it too. If my perspective is not valuable to anyone in regards to assisting my H with his thread, then I won't waste everyone's time.

Well, it would have been nice if you had been here at that time. You would have been advised that following your 6 weeks of Plan A, you follow with separation and Plan B.

[
And then what happens? In my case, my H goes and does it anyway. But if you read my thread, you should know that.

With your marriage in a critical state, if he refuses to take your feelings into account, and with your stated history, you should separate and go in to Plan B.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
L
L
Originally Posted by black_raven
Telling a spouse what toppings you would like on a pizza is not micro managing IMO.

Side issue I know but I would be outraged if someone tried to tell me what to put on top of the pizza I was making. Fine to ask not to have something (say olives) on it but to tell me what to put on it?

If they were lucky they would get handed the project, if they were unlucky they would be wearing it :-)

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by black_raven
Telling a spouse what toppings you would like on a pizza is not micro managing IMO.

Side issue I know but I would be outraged if someone tried to tell me what to put on top of the pizza I was making. Fine to ask not to have something (say olives) on it but to tell me what to put on it?

If they were lucky they would get handed the project, if they were unlucky they would be wearing it :-)
This is rather interesting to see the different interpretations and perspectives. I believe it starts with one person meaning the pizza "being ordered from the pizza joint" and the other interpreting it being a "pizza being made by them." I think it's a good example of the reason why clear communication is important.

J
OP Offline
J
In September/October, I did six weeks of Plan A to eliminate my H's excuses. He still hasn't done it. My side of the street is irrelevant at this point if my H can't demonstrate that he's capable of doing it too. If my perspective is not valuable to anyone in regards to assisting my H with his thread, then I won't waste everyone's time.

Well, it would have been nice if you had been here at that time. You would have been advised that following your 6 weeks of Plan A, you follow with separation and Plan B.

From What is planA/planB:
Plan B is for the betrayed spouse to avoid all contact with the wayward spouse until the affair has completely ended and the wayward spouse has agreed to my plan for recovery. In many cases, once an affair has ended, a betrayed spouse makes the mistake of taking the wayward spouse back before an agreement is made regarding marital recovery. This leads to a return to all the conditions that made the affair possible -- love is not restored, resentment is not overcome, and there is a very great risk for another affair. Without agreement and subsequent implementation of a plan for recovery, the betrayed spouse is better off continuing with plan B.

In my case, my H wasn't (currently) wayward. He wholeheartedly agreed to apply the Harley principles in our M. He still professes to be "all in." Are you saying that at that time, knowing my H was a firm believer in the program, listening every day to the radio program, reading and re-reading the Harley books, etc. that you still would have advised me to go to Plan B (no contact)?

Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 272 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation