Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone.
I've found this website most helpful.

My story:
I'm a normal bloke, late 40's, my wife is a normal, Christian woman, early 40's. We have been married 19 years and have two children - one's 16, the other 13. We live in our own home and we have our own business. My wife works in her chosen career, (not in our business) she's in a professional role. I love my wife dearly and love my kids.

Almost 2 weeks ago, the bomb dropped, and I learnt that my wife was having an affair with a married, but separated man. (He's been having difficulties in his marriage for the last 2 years) She has described it to me as an "emotional affair" but it has gone to "physical" too, once, she tells me.

She, at first, denied it, saying it's all lies. Then she came semi-clean and admitted the "emotional" side. Lastly, she admitted the "physical" part a few days later.

She says she no longer is in love with me and am contemplating getting her own place. She feels she is at a crossroads in her life.
At this point, she has told a close friend and I have discussed the matter with her pastor. I say "her pastor" because I'm not a practising Christian but I know her pastor well, through work and feel I can turn to him for help, without involving family or friends. So far, none of our (other) friends or children or family know about this.

She has called it off with the other man and obviously is quite embarrassed about it. I have been super supportive and understanding and have tried to talk about it, trying to re-assure her of my continued love, and she has decided to see a councillor.

What concerns me is that she is not wanting to see the councillor with me and the councillor is encouraging her to first see her alone. She is not prepared to give me any hope of reconciliation and simply says that she has decisions to make.

I have been a loving and supportive husband and we have had a good, physical and emotional relationship for the last 20 years together. We work hard and we are both active in sport, don't drink excessively or have any other unhealthy habits. My wife assures me that I am a good husband. She says: "It's not you".

I have a stressful job and I admit I can sometimes be a bit distracted as result of that. Life is tough in our industry and money is sometime tight. The man she has cheated on me with is not exactly that well off either, so it's not the money.

We have plenty of common interests but my wife has the same sporting interest as does this bloke, so they trained together and got close.

I am devastated. Not because of the affair, which I can accept because it can happen easily as I have read and happens to lots of people. What stresses me out beyond bearable capacity is the fact hat my wife seems unconcerned about ending a 20 year relationship to somehow "find herself".

I don't know what to do. She says I need to give her "time". I feel shut out of the decision making process and, while I fully understand the lack of any physical interest in me at the moment, I am struggling with my life in that it all feels like a lie. I am not coping, which is affecting my work and I am feeling emotionally drained and in danger of calling it quits.

We had a lovely Christmas holiday together with no indication from her that anything was going on - and yet she was already having an affair. We go away without the kids from time to time for "us time" and, the last time that occurred, there was also no indication from her that anything was wrong between us.

I remain committed to sorting this out and I have forgiven my wife the infidelity. I love her and cannot imagine a life without her. I do not want to put my kids through this, but that is not my primary consideration. Primary is my love for my wife.

Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.

Kind regards,
Mark

M
M
Hello Mark, welcome to Marriage Builders. I am sorry for the reasons that have brought you here. You are in the right place if you want to save your marriage and are willing and able to take some very tough steps.

First off, the reason your wife is considering leaving you is because she is high on the fog of her affair. Affairs are addictions very much alcohol or drug addictions. They absolutely impair the addicts judgment.

But, we do have a plan that usually works if you are willing to take proactive steps. It is a 2 part plan, called Plan A. The first part of this plan is to destroy the affair. If the affair is destroyed, the spouse is much more willing to work on the marriage. Affairs thrive on secrecy and fantasy, so the greatest weapon against the affair is exposure. Dr Harley, the founder of Marriage Builders, is a clinical psychologist and author of the book Surviving an Affair and here is how he describes exposure:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."

The second part of the plan is present yourself as an inviting, attractive option. Many betrayed spouses make the mistake of lashing out in anger. When you don't' act like that, it gives the wayward spouse second thoughts and often attracts them back to marriage *IF* the affair is crumbling. This is why exposure and fighting against the affair is so important.

It is a 2 prong approach that is the most effective plan I have ever seen. Those of us here that are in recovered marriages, attribute our recoveries to exposure.

Please go read the exposure thread linked in my signature along with the links in the "start here first" thread at the top of the forum. Come back and we can help you with next steps.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Hi melody

Thank you, I have read all of those, and I'm afraid I'm none the wiser.

The first thing I did, on the morning I found out, was to go to the man's work, go sit down in his office, and politely told him to leave my wife alone. I have had to follow this up once in reply to a txt message from him to her, by saying "Leave my wife alone". He has asked me "what about my happiness" and I replied that he needed to find his happiness with someone that's not been married for 19 years, most of those very happily.

I have not yet told the kids as I don't think it's going to be beneficial to my relationship with my wife to "out" her to the kids. Likewise our friends. I will obviously change my position should she continue seeing him.

What steps can I take to help her engage with me in the path to recovery?

How do I make her see there is a future for us?

Kind regards,
Mark

I insisted that my wife cut all contact with him and it seems she has.

M
M
Originally Posted by Mark_NZ
Hi melody

The first thing I did, on the morning I found out, was to go to the man's work, go sit down in his office, and politely told him to leave my wife alone. I have had to follow this up once in reply to a txt message from him to her, by saying "Leave my wife alone". He has asked me "what about my happiness" and I replied that he needed to find his happiness with someone that's not been married for 19 years, most of those very happily.

Like I said, you should expose the affair. It is a very effective approach. Did you read my exposure thread? That will run him off. He is probably very married and even if he is not, exposing the affair wide and far will wreck it. Other men are abject cowards who do not want the trouble.

I have not yet told the kids as I don't think it's going to be beneficial to my relationship with my wife to "out" her to the kids. Likewise our friends. I will obviously change my position should she continue seeing him.

It will be extremely beneficial to expose to your children and all of your friends and family. It ruins the fantasy. The children need to know she is wrecking their family over a big fat nothing. They have a right to address her reckless behavior since it affects them.

What steps can I take to help her engage with me in the path to recovery?

Expose the affair.

How do I make her see there is a future for us?

Expose the affair.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Expose!

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
T
T
I think it's also important to expose as widely and as quickly as possible. To be most effective, you want the exposure to drop like an atom bomb on the affair.

N
N
First of all wake up!
Second you are in denial!
Third, expose!

If you dont want to follow advice here, i would suggest you go to another site or do nothing(it is the same thing)

B
B
You need to expose the affair to kill it. The OM has already told you he is more concerned about his happiness than your marriage. If you are more concerned about protecting your wife's image vs killing the affair, you will not recover your marriage.

Welcome to MB, Mark

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B

If you read all that then you are wiser but are more afraid and choose to not follow the prescribed MB plan.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
B
B
Originally Posted by Mark_ NZ
I learnt that my wife was having an affair with a married, but separated man

Contact the OM's BW and expose. They probably aren't separated and he is lying to your WW about being separated.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
OP Offline
M
Firstly, thank you everyone for the response.
I understand the advice of "expose" but we live in a small, small town, so I don't particularly want the whole world to know what's going on. It's not how I'd prefer to play it.

I'm hoping to hear therefore if there are any other options - first - before going that route.

Secondly, Everything I wrote are facts. If I say a man has been separated from his wife for two years, then that is so.

I'm also 99.9% sure that my wife has not been in contact with him since the truth came out. Again, as I said - it's a small town.

J
J
You have no hope without exposure. It hard to fight an affair when you are an enabler

M
M
Firstly, thank you everyone for the response.
I understand the advice of "expose" but we live in a small, small town, so I don't particularly want the whole world to know what's going on. It's not how I'd prefer to play it.

I'm hoping to hear therefore if there are any other options - first - before going that route.

Secondly, Everything I wrote are facts. If I say a man has been separated from his wife for two years, then that is so.

I'm also 99.9% sure that my wife has not been in contact with him since the truth came out. Again, as I said - it's a small town.

In that case, there is nothing we can do for you. Hiding the affair only serves to enable it and causes it drag on for years. The longer you hide it, the more entrenched it becomes and the less likely your wife will ever wake up from the fantasy.

Dr. Harley addresses the practice of enabling in this radio clip: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=2815

I wish you the best....

Exposure 101

N
N
You sound like so many(including me) newly betrayed men. There are no new situations, your story is the same as most.
The steps and plan does not give alternatives just because you live in a small town.
If you dont want to follow the steps here, then i suggest you do nothing.

Good luck!!

B
B

No one is advising you to expose to the whole town. Key exposure targets are OMW, OM's parents/sibilings, your family, WW's family, your children, and any close friends of influence. That is maybe 15-20 people.

If you live in a such a small town and OM lives in the same town, you won't recover anyway. Your WW and him will always be in close proximity and it will be death by a thousand cuts for you. If OM isn't going anywhere then you need to move.

Your WW doesn't need space to "find herself." All she will be doing in carrying on her affair without your interference. She will be "finding herself" in OM's bed.

Does WW work with this loser?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

I
I
It's particularly silly to not expose to the children. This affair has been going on some time and you have NO idea what they have seen and overheard. Tell them the truth and encourage them to do the same. He's a heartbeat from being their stepdad and the sex abuse risks are enormous when a stepfather is an OM.

Any child over 4 will be aware something is very wrong and given your wife's nasty new personality, they need to know it's not their fault.

It would certainly kill the A if the whole town knew, but you don't need to go that far.

Just ensure you tell your family, her family and her workplace if a workplace affair. His family, his Betrayed Wife (separated my eye!) his friends and friends of you and your wife.

Talking to two crackheads, who already know they are destroying their families will do nothing. Talking to the waywards indeed! They've been practicing a show down with you for ages.

Like talking to a half brained drunk, right?

But invite an intervention of loved ones to come watch them shoot up - it stops being fun.

Is your wife under the impression she can cheat on you with silent impunity? Telling no one? That you will allow her to teach the children how to lie and cover up the A?

I think that's a very poor and uncaring call.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
The ages of 13 and 16 are vulnerable ages. Do you really want them to learn how to lie and cheat? To trust some strange bloke mum is powerless against?

Lying is like covering up a nuke with a blanket. They will find out and they will discover you don't have this in hand.

You see, all waywards ask for 'space' and to 'find themselves'. Tell her to look in her shoes.

It's code for 'I can't stop. Its an addiction. Take the bottle away - and endure my fury for a while when you do'.

I
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Dear me.

It seems like every other post from newbie BSs on this forum seems to contain the phrase 'My WS says....'

When we know they all say the same things!

This is ok (ish), except when followed by the fatal 'I do believe him/her'

The worst ones then follow up with a desire to 'trust'.

I therefore submit a golden rule.......

NEVER TAKE THE WORD OF A WAYWARD. IF THEY SAY THE SKY IS BLUE -LOOK UP TO CHECK. IT SOUNDS TRUE BUT IT IS PROBABLY RAINING.

Now everyone of us has been there, been gaslighted, been lied to very convincingly by people who we love and know to have honest and upstanding pasts. (oh yes, it's not just yours!)

That goes out of the window when they become addicts however.

A truly repentent wayward will jump through hoops to prove themselves with actions like an NC letter or a polygraph.

Words are just too inadequate and they know that.

Here is my top ten of things waywards lie about

1) It was an EA only
It was a PA, but if I tell you the truth that will have to stop and you will probably leave me.
2)It was a PA, but we only did it once/oral/kissing
I minimimize what I am ashamed of, though there is no logic in doing so.
3)It is your fault for not meeting my ENs
This makes me feel less guilty about my non existent boundaries with the opposite sex
4)Our marriage has been miserable for years
This makes me feel less guilty about my non existent boundaries with the opposite sex
5)I do not love you - I love the OP
I have betrayed my morals and everything I once believed in. I must love the OP - or else I am just stupid for risking so much. Actually I am just greedy and stupid. Dont tell anyone.
6)I want a divorce
But I will not bother filing. This is an idle threat to scare you into submission.
7) She/he is just a friend
That I value more than your discomfort with their presence.
8) I need privacy, that's all
So I can cheat on you
9) I dont need an NC letter because there is no contact
Please dont make me give up my cake
10)You are jealous/controlling/demanding
You are getting really warm and I dont like it.

Can I please invite others to share lies they were told/told themselves that were really convincing and why they should NOT be believed without proof?

Cheers.

I didn't include the all time classic though: 'It's like I love you but I'm not in love with you.'

Last edited by indiegirl; 02/04/15 12:30 PM.

I
I
Btw, separated is still married. He is keeping his wife on the backburner. You must tell her your wife destroyed her marriage.

I
I

It must be a small town if they can overhear her on her burner phone!

Besides, once you're gone its lots of space to get back in touch with him.

She will oust you before getting down to it in the affair.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 522 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation