Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Originally Posted by nmwb77
Thank you, Markos for all this. It's helping me to process things. And thank you, Prisca, too. If my angry outbursts killed her love for me, then it's possible that she did fall out of love with me and that she's not rewriting history. Although she hasn't given me anything specific, she has said she was unhappy for 13 years, and that was when I had my first angry outburst. Perhaps I will go with that explanation and wish her well.
Wishing her well has nothing to do with still loving her and wanting her back. I can't understand why you are tying the two things together.

Do you think you are in a position to simply decide not to love her, and not to want her back?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
You are still implying that what you did was not that bad, that the outbursts were rare, that they could have been much worse and more frequent, and that other men behave much worse and do not lose their wives. You haven't said that, but you've implied it.

I think in these sentences SugarCane is giving you a lot of great insight into how it comes across when we minimize our Love Busters.

I am not going to crawl across broken glass and grovel about my past Love Busters. But I am also not going to ever speak about them as if they were justified, or not that bad. I imagine I would compare favorably to a lot of men if you compared our history of angry outbursts. But that would be irrelevant - I missed the mark. The mark is an emotional and somewhat irrational target, but to have a good marriage a husband needs to study it, understand it well, and become an expert marksman.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you, SugarCane. Yes, I accept that how I behaved was wrong not just for my wife but period. I'm committed to avoiding angry outbursts in the future. I mention that they were rare because I am normally a very laid back person. It will not be hard for me to eliminate them. I have eliminated the aggressive driving. I am confident of that. All that took was a change in outlook. I don't even get angry when I drive anymore. Edit to add: I am confident, because I began working on this nine months ago, and I have remained calm while driving ever since.

I need some kind of explanation for why she left. This is the best I have come across. She hasn't told me anything specific, so I have to figure it out on my own.

If she did fall out of love with me, then I can't expect that she will change her mind after the affair ends. Although I would like a second chance, if she truly was not in love with me, then for my own sake it's best not to hold out hope of that happening.

Last edited by nmwb77; 03/04/15 03:36 PM.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
M
M
If she did fall out of love with me, then I can't expect that she will change her mind after the affair ends.

If you remember Dr. Harley's work with Jon and Sue in SAA, Sue came back to John after the affair ended because it seemed to be the best option to her. She was not in love with him.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by markos
I am not going to crawl across broken glass and grovel about my past Love Busters. But I am also not going to ever speak about them as if they were justified, or not that bad. I imagine I would compare favorably to a lot of men if you compared our history of angry outbursts. But that would be irrelevant - I missed the mark. The mark is an emotional and somewhat irrational target, but to have a good marriage a husband needs to study it, understand it well, and become an expert marksman.

No, my angry outbursts were not justified. I don't think that for a second. I also don't mean to minimize them. It's just that it never occurred to me that they could be what caused my wife to fall out of love with me.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
If you remember Dr. Harley's work with Jon and Sue in SAA, Sue came back to John after the affair ended because it seemed to be the best option to her. She was not in love with him.

But Sue was in counseling with Dr. Harley.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Do you think you are in a position to simply decide not to love her, and not to want her back?

I wish that I could do that.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
P
P
I need some kind of explanation for why she left. This is the best I have come across. She hasn't told me anything specific, so I have to figure it out on my own.

If she did fall out of love with me, then I can't expect that she will change her mind after the affair ends. Although I would like a second chance, if she truly was not in love with me, then for my own sake it's best not to hold out hope of that happening.
She left because she is in love with somebody else.
She COULD fall in love with you again. Have you read how the lovebank works?
Sue did not fall in love with Jon just because she was in counseling with Dr. Harley. Dr. Harley did not fill her lovebank, Jon did. Countless BH have caused their WW to fall back in love with them -- markos did it for me almost against my will.

The problem you're going to face is that she's gone. It is far, far easier to do with a WW who still lives at home and with whom you have children.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
A
Hope this doesn't stir the pot, but when I look at the buyer's concept for marriage and threads like this:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2634091#Post2634091

I come away feeling like wives who bottle it up are following a renter attitude.

You can't make it work if she's not willing to be honest and tell you where you're making mistakes, and when she's at the same time willing to have poor boundaries around men. You can't have a successful marriage that way. Dr. Harley told me this verbatim on the phone before my show, it's the main argument he had for me looking at divorce as the best option in my situation. He did not think my wife would ever become a buyer or agree to EPs, and thought repeat affairs were likely if we ever got back together.

Something to think about. The "why" of why she cheated is probably something you can't know nmwb77. Only she will ever know that unless she tells you. You'll go nuts trying to figure it out and it's a DJ to try and mind read her (though I'm tempted by the same temptation to try!)

You can only focus on you. And part of focusing on you (I feel) is doing a better job shopping next time. I feel the same way about my own situation. The LBs you know about and can work on are blessings because they are opportunities to get better. All of the rest of it is just speculation.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Prisca
Countless BH have caused their WW to fall back in love with them -- markos did it for me almost against my will.
That's funny. smile
Originally Posted by Prisca
The problem you're going to face is that she's gone. It is far, far easier to do with a WW who still lives at home and with whom you have children.
Yes, it's a huge problem.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by axslinger85
Something to think about. The "why" of why she cheated is probably something you can't know nmwb77. Only she will ever know that unless she tells you. You'll go nuts trying to figure it out and it's a DJ to try and mind read her (though I'm tempted by the same temptation to try!)

You can only focus on you. And part of focusing on you (I feel) is doing a better job shopping next time. I feel the same way about my own situation. The LBs you know about and can work on are blessings because they are opportunities to get better. All of the rest of it is just speculation.
You're right. Being blindsided is extremely traumatic, though. My rational mind needs an explanation.

And yes, I'm glad I found MB. I know that I'm already a better person for it. I feel better equipped for the next time, whether it's with my STBXW or with someone else.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
B
B
Marriage is not a suicide pact where the spouses promise each other unconditional love and a commitment to stay legally married for life regardless of what the other does.

I might have to add this to my signature!! laugh

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
Marriage is not a suicide pact where the spouses promise each other unconditional love and a commitment to stay legally married for life regardless of what the other does.
Take the #not# out and that pretty much sums up what I was taught about marriage. Glad to have something different to pass on to my kids!

This whole discussion has been very helpful!

Married to Pearlseeker for 13 yrs
A
A
Originally Posted by buildsherhouse
Take the #not# out and that pretty much sums up what I was taught about marriage.

I think this is what many in the US are taught about marriage, especially inside the Church. A lot of focus on the boundaries of marriage without much focus on the responsibilities of marriage.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"

My story
P
P
I come away feeling like wives who bottle it up are following a renter attitude.

You can't make it work if she's not willing to be honest and tell you where you're making mistakes, and when she's at the same time willing to have poor boundaries around men. You can't have a successful marriage that way. Dr. Harley told me this verbatim on the phone before my show, it's the main argument he had for me looking at divorce as the best option in my situation. He did not think my wife would ever become a buyer or agree to EPs, and thought repeat affairs were likely if we ever got back together.
Ax, your wife is not the typical wife, and your situation is not the typical situation.

In the typical marriage that comes to this board, where the husband is willing to do MB but the wife is not, he can turn the marriage around and win her back without much help from her.

Dr. Harley doesn't tell many men that they are better off getting a divorce. Your case is different.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
I'm sorry, nmwb77, this is the first time I've looked at the board all day. I'm so glad to see that you've gotten excellent advice from Markos, Prisca and Sugarcane. You couldn't have been in more capable hands.

There is something I wanted to address...

Originally Posted by axslinger85

You're right. Being blindsided is extremely traumatic, though. My rational mind needs an explanation.

Unless your WW was one of those folks that actually went out looking for someone to have an affair with, then you DO know why she cheated. It's the same reason every WS who "stumbles" [for lack of a better word] into an affair cheats. It's because they allowed someone other than their spouse to meet their emotional needs. It really is that simple.

Affairs don't happen BECAUSE of unmet emotional needs or even because of lovebusters. Unmet emotional needs and lovebusters can make someone vulnerable to having an affair, but they will only have an affair if they are not practicing extraordinary precautions to prevent someone other than their spouse to meet their emotional needs.

Mr. W could stop meeting my emotional needs and become a lovebusting fool, and I still would not have another affair, because now I KNOW how to keep myself and everyone around me safe -- I practice extraordinary precautions and will for the rest of my life. By the same token, Mr. W could be meeting every single one of my emotional needs and committing no lovebusters, and if I put myself in a position to do so, (by not practicing extraordinary precautions), I would have another affair. The ONLY thing that protects any of us from having affairs (other than sheer luck) is taking extraordinary precautions to prevent someone other than our spouse from meeting our emotional needs. Until a WS really gets that, and puts it into practice, they are not safe to be married to.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you, MrsW. You're right. Normally I'm not like this. Honest. I am usually a rational thinker, and things don't confuse me like this. With this affair, though, I forget the things I learn and jump to wrong conclusions as SugarCane rightly pointed out above. My work is also suffering because I forget to do things.

I've learned from MB that affairs happen because of poor boundaries. However, my WW insists that her leaving had nothing to do with the affair. I know she's lying, but I can't seem to get that out of my head. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm crazy and there actually isn't an affair, even though she admitted it to me and I have the evidence from her phone.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
P
P
Some quotes I just shared about anger on another thread. Markos suggested I post it here, just to show the seriousness of even one angry outburst:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
First off, angry outbursts by either spouse prevents recovery. No marital problems can be solved if one spouse has even a very occasional angry outburst. Whatever the anger is related to, it makes a solution impossible.
Here

I regard angry outbursts as the worst Love Buster. That's because it's not only physically and emotionally dangerous to the other spouse, but it completely eliminates the possibility of marital problem solving. For most couples we try to help, if they can't stop their angry outbursts, nothing else works. They can't follow the Policy of Joint Agreement and they can't follow the Policy of Undivided Attention. Without those two rules in place, there's no hope for a satisfying marriage.

So you must do everything in your power to stop all angry outbursts completely.
Here

Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation. The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That's why I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later.
Here

In some cases, I've recommended separation when one spouse doesn't take their angry outbursts seriously. For those who have not experienced physical abuse, they often feel that separation is too extreme. But I know for a fact as a clinical psychologist that angry outbursts are a form of temporary insanity, and most people who have angry outbursts cannot control what they do. In some cases, the very first angry outburst that became physical resulted in permanently injured or even death. The angry spouse has no idea that they would hurt their spouse so badly until it had already happened. Then they are grief-stricken at what took place. Angry outbursts must be completely eliminated in marriage, or the marriage is too dangerous to continue.
Here

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

N
nmwb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you, Prisca. That is very kind of you.

No more angry outbursts from me. I'll prove it if I ever get the chance.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
A
A
However, my WW insists that her leaving had nothing to do with the affair. I know she's lying, but I can't seem to get that out of my head. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm crazy and there actually isn't an affair, even though she admitted it to me and I have the evidence from her phone.

Gaslighting. frown

I know you know that, just chiming in to encourage you. My WW and most other waywards say the same thing. I get frustrated by it too. mad

My story
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 323 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation