Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
S
skd Offline
S
Here is another yummy recipe that I also put a convenience twist on:

Basic Cheese and Onion Quiche

Makes 2 quiches or 24 individual quiches baked in a muffin tin.

5-6 cups shredded muenster and/or colby jack cheese, divided in half
2 tablespoons butter plus more for greasing pans
1 large white onion, finely chopped
12 large eggs, preferably organic or free range eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a separate skillet, add the butter and melt over medium-low heat. Add the vegetables and saute until onions are translucent and soft. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Butter I used nonstick spray instead two 10 inch quiche pans or deep pie pans or 12 piece muffin tin. Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in bottom of each buttered pan. Add 1/2 of cooled vegetable mixture to each pan in an even layer over cheese.
3. Crack 12 eggs and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the cream and spices, and whisk together until well mixed and frothy. Pour 1/2 mixture over each pan of cheese and veggies, then use a fork to gently and evenly distribute cheese and vegetables into egg and cream mixture. I layered from bottom to top: cheese, 1 crumbled slice of bacon, green onion (uncooked), zucchini (sauted), and the last 5 minutes of baking another layer of cheese
4. Slide quiche pans into oven, leaving an inch of space between pans. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until set and puffy and slightly golden in the center. Baked in the muffin tins baked 12 at a time it took exactly 25 minutes. You can also use a knife to insert into middle of one of the quiches, and if it comes out clean, they are done.
5. Cut each quiche into 6 equal sized servings for a total of 12 servings. Serve immediately, or cool and refrigerate or freeze. These will keep in the freezer for a two weeks, or the refrigerator for a week. I refrigerated 2 in individual baggies and heated 2 at a time for 1 minute in the microwave for a grab'n go easy breakfast on the drive into work.

Nutrition: Serving size = 1/6 of a quiche. 2 individual quiches = 1 serving. BONUS anytime you can have two of anything it seems like a cheat right...not this time!!! I was stuffed and felt the energy boost the entire day. Each serving has 382 calories, 16 grams of protein, 33 grams of fat, 5 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber.

FS of 27yrs
BW
DDay 11/2013
Began MB Seminar 7/2014
H quit MB Seminar 10/2014
Filed for D 11/17/2014
PB 12/18/2014
D 07/29/2015
skd #2849990 04/09/15 01:16 PM
S
S

Diet sodas are not good for you if you are trying to lose weight. I will have some once in a great while if I am craving something sweet....I try very very hard to avoid junk food and only have as a treat once in a while.

skd, I can share paleo recipes which are also low carb if you'd like. Running out now but I will try to do it later today if I can....

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2849992 04/09/15 01:19 PM
S
skd Offline
S
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Diet sodas are not good for you if you are trying to lose weight. I will have some once in a great while if I am craving something sweet....I try very very hard to avoid junk food and only have as a treat once in a while.

skd, I can share paleo recipes which are also low carb if you'd like. Running out now but I will try to do it later today if I can....
I agree on the sodas and I would absolutely love recipes when you have time.

FS of 27yrs
BW
DDay 11/2013
Began MB Seminar 7/2014
Filed for D 11/17/2014
PB 12/18/2014
D 07/29/2015
skd #2850077 04/10/15 10:23 AM
S
S
Here you go skd...

This is the Paleo cookbook that I use and highly recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758

Two of the recipes that I have made over and over again are available on the author's website...

Spaghetti Squash Bolognese

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
Sea salt & black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons bacon fat or grass-fed butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, grated or finely diced
1/2 lb ground veal or beef
1/2 lb ground pork
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
3 ounces (1/2 small can) tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional, omit for 21DSD � you may replace with beef broth if you feel you need to add some liquid)
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375F.
Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise so that two shallow halves remain. Scoop out the seeds and inner portion of the squash, and then sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Place both halves face down on a baking sheet. Roast for 35-45 minutes�until the flesh of the squash becomes translucent in color and the skin begins to soften and easily separate from the �noodles� that make up the inside.
Allow the squash to cool enough so that you can handle it, and then scoop the flesh out from the inside of the skin into a large serving bowl. Set aside until the sauce is finished.
While the squash bakes: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the bacon fat or butter, and saut�e the onions, carrots, and celery until they become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add the ground veal, pork, and bacon, and cook until browned through. Once the meat is done, add the coconut milk, tomato paste, and white wine (optional), and simmer over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce is well combined and any alcohol is cooked out (if you added it).
Add sea salt and black pepper to taste before removing the sauce from the heat.
Serve over the roasted spaghetti squash.

Italian Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

2 bell peppers
(I used yellow but any color is fine)
1 Tbsp bacon grease or coconut oil
1/2 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
4 small tomatoes, diced
(or use 1/2c canned diced tomatoes)
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
(or lean conventional ground beef / ground turkey)
6 Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
2c Baby spinach, finely chopped
sea salt � to taste
black pepper � to taste
hot sauce � optional, as garnish
extra basil leaves garnish

Preparation

Preheat your oven to 375.

Halve the bell peppers and place them in a roasting dish face-down for about 10-15 minutes. Note: You can skip this step if you want to keep the peppers more firm/raw when you eat them.

While the peppers are pre-cooking, you�ll cook the stuffing on the stove-top. Use a large sautee pan or a large pot. I�d recommend not using cast iron for this recipe since we�re cooking tomatoes and the acid of the tomatoes will react with the cast iron.

Place your bacon grease or coconut oil in the pan and then cook the onions over medium-high heat until they�re slightly browned on the edges and appear cooked through (translucent). You may season them with salt and pepper to taste.

Next add the tomatoes and garlic and allow the ingredients to simmer together for a couple of minutes. Then add the ground beef or turkey, breaking it up and allowing it to cook through completely. If you have grass-fed beef, you may leave it a bit pink.

Once the meat is cooked, taste the mixture to check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Then add the chopped basil and spinach and mix them in just allowing them to wilt.

Remove the peppers from the oven when they�re just a bit softened, then flip them over and spoon in your stuffing mixture. If you would like to eat them at this point, you can go right ahead. Otherwise, place them back into the oven for around 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld even more. I like to make a bunch of these ahead and either freeze them or just refrigerate them to heat up in my toaster oven later.

Last edited by SusieQ; 04/10/15 10:26 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
SusieQ #2850078 04/10/15 10:34 AM
S
S

The other thing that is SUPER easy for low carbers or anyone who is trying to eat more healthy without spending a ton of time in the kitchen is to poach a lot of chicken in the crockpot with some Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic seasoning and some water.

Then you have perfectly cooked chicken (I hate dry chicken with a passion, lol) ready to pull out of the fridge any time to make a quick salad whenever you need it. I am kind of obsessed with chicken cobb salad and taco salads right now. They are so filling, quick and easy to make, and healthy.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
SusieQ #2850099 04/10/15 01:49 PM
S
skd Offline
S
Here you go skd...
This is the Paleo cookbook that I use and highly recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758
I will definitely get the cookbook tonight. I will try those recipes for sure. I had the spaghetti squash with garlic & butter which was yummy, but I also want some variety.

I also agree about your dry chicken comment.

Thanks for posting this I love to try new meals when I have time.

FS of 27yrs
BW
DDay 11/2013
Began MB Seminar 7/2014
Filed for D 11/17/2014
PB 12/18/2014
D 07/29/2015
SusieQ #2850109 04/10/15 02:45 PM
I
I
The other thing that is SUPER easy for low carbers or anyone who is trying to eat more healthy without spending a ton of time in the kitchen is to poach a lot of chicken in the crockpot with some Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic seasoning and some water.

This will really work well for me.

I can't get spaghetti squash in the UK frown.

There's just the one fancy pants supermarket which sells it, miles away, and when I went they didn't have any.

Might grow it.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

skd #2850113 04/10/15 03:53 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by skd
[ I will definitely get the cookbook tonight. I will try those recipes for sure. I had the spaghetti squash with garlic & butter which was yummy, but I also want some variety.

What else did you have with it? When I make spaghetti squash, I usually just limit myself to a cup so I don't exceed my carb count and then eat it all week. I love it with a big old ribeye!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
skd Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by skd
[ I will definitely get the cookbook tonight. I will try those recipes for sure. I had the spaghetti squash with garlic & butter which was yummy, but I also want some variety.

What else did you have with it? When I make spaghetti squash, I usually just limit myself to a cup so I don't exceed my carb count and then eat it all week. I love it with a big old ribeye!
I grilled italian sausage sliced it and tossed it in with it. I also ate off of it for a few more meals.

FS of 27yrs
BW
DDay 11/2013
Began MB Seminar 7/2014
Filed for D 11/17/2014
PB 12/18/2014
D 07/29/2015
SusieQ #2850126 04/10/15 08:37 PM
S
skd Offline
S

Then you have perfectly cooked chicken (I hate dry chicken with a passion, lol) ready to pull out of the fridge any time to make a quick salad whenever you need it. I am kind of obsessed with chicken cobb salad and taco salads right now. They are so filling, quick and easy to make, and healthy.
I have also found a FABULOUS seasoning that is great on any kind of meat or vege. It's produced in Florida and called Seminole Swamp Seasoning and can be ordered here:

245 Mystic Warrior Trail
Quincy, FL 32352
Phone: (850) 875-3787

I use it in the crockpot, baking, frying, and especially grilling. Their slogan is, "Food seasoning for anything that flies, walks, swims, crawls, or grows in the ground." LOL ... It is true though.

Last edited by skd; 04/10/15 08:40 PM.

FS of 27yrs
BW
DDay 11/2013
Began MB Seminar 7/2014
Filed for D 11/17/2014
PB 12/18/2014
D 07/29/2015
skd #2850134 04/11/15 07:35 AM
I
I
I've been feeling rubbish for a couple of days and can't tell if it's a cold or the 'low carb flu'. I''ve had an on again/off again headache, chesty cough and dry throat. My energy is so-so.

I really don't want to stop doing low carb - I like not being hungry!

But Easter hols are over and I'm back teaching next week.

Haven't lost any more weight either!

L
L
Originally Posted by indiegirl
I've been feeling rubbish for a couple of days and can't tell if it's a cold or the 'low carb flu'. I''ve had an on again/off again headache, chesty cough and dry throat. My energy is so-so.

How could you feel low with this fantastic summer weather we are having :-)

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
I
I
Maybe in New York!

Ok, so it's definitely a virus - but it's totally put me off dairy.

What do you eat for breakfast on low carb when you can't face dairy? I had the dreaded branflakes this morning and they are definitely no good...

C
C
Here is a great site for low carb, gluten free food
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

she has some amazing pancake recipes made with almond flour

there also those low carb muffins you make in a mug with almond flour that are decent, just do a search "low carb mug muffin"

or chia seed breakfast bowl (chia seeds are really good for you)
same thing just search "chia seed breakfast"

M
M
Maybe in New York!

What do you eat for breakfast on low carb when you can't face dairy? I had the dreaded branflakes this morning and they are definitely no good...

What about fried eggs and bacon?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Maybe in New York!

What about fried eggs and bacon?

That's been my go-to breakfast but I can't handle eggs with this cold. I just had peanut butter from the jar this morning!

Originally Posted by CanadianMade
Here is a great site for low carb, gluten free food
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

she has some amazing pancake recipes made with almond flour

there also those low carb muffins you make in a mug with almond flour that are decent, just do a search "low carb mug muffin"

or chia seed breakfast bowl (chia seeds are really good for you)
same thing just search "chia seed breakfast"

I've yet to find any almond flour, but I love those ideas.

A
A
I usually do bacon and fruit for breakfast.

S
S
Zucchini lasagna. So delish! I can honestly say I think I like this better than any regular lasagna recipe I have made.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
SusieQ #2855435 05/25/15 08:12 PM
S
skd Offline
S
Zucchini lasagna. So delish! I can honestly say I think I like this better than any regular lasagna recipe I have made.

Looks yummy that's going to be on the menu for next weekend! I love fresh zucchini!

FS of 27yrs
BW
DDay 11/2013
Began MB Seminar 7/2014
Filed for D 11/17/2014
PB 12/18/2014
D 07/29/2015
skd #2855459 05/26/15 02:01 AM
J
JBD Offline
J
Zucchini? Seriously? LMAO! I had LITERALLY just taken my Zucchini breads out of the oven. 2 are cranberry with Orange zest, and I also made Zucchini muffins! Full sized and minis, and those are the CHOCO-Zucchini treats! Wait! Before you make a face. You have to TRY them! HEAVENLY! And the only way my spose will eat ANYTHING carrying the name zucchini! lol

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation