Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 74 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 73 74
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Originally Posted by Remark
I understand on the falling asleep thing. An earlier post said the antidepressant I started taking a few weeks ago is contributing to my being tired possibly.

Yes, Remark. Being on a BETTER medication could help you be more attentive and engaged. That is why it is PART of the plan for improvement.

The OTHER part of the plan is for you to implement everything that Sugarcane has been pointing out. It is VERY tedious for her to do all of this explaining to you and she has done it in EXPERT fashion.

Trust me. If you change your behavior, without challenging the point, over time, it will all take shape for you. What I have seen take place in my husband's behavior, is an amazing transformation from checked out to check-in. Bumper Cars to Dual Processing. But initially, he felt like he was learning a check list. It wasn't plain ocean vs. mountain for him either. There were lots of hidden "whys" which made him feel like a blind behavor. But over time, all of these good habits and rules will start to make sense and create a web of connections in your head. Couple that with some good brain medicine, and you actually will have changed.

Now, this takes quite a time, and you have to be patient. Had you learned these concepts growing up, it wouldn't have been so taxing. However, better late than never. In time, you will become someone your wife can depend on.

Each individual annoyance feels to your wife as "more of the same" because it is categorized as "thoughtless or even hurtful." But over time, you can eliminate certain annoyances.

I would agree with Sugar that your wife is giving you a chance. When she tells you that she is DONE, it may be her way of saying that she can't handle any more hurt. When she does say this, remember to do as Sugarcane told you. "I'm sorry that I've hurt you. I will prevent this behavior in the future. Or even, How can I avoid this in the future?". You need to reassure her that you won't give up trying to learn and change to be the husband that she needs. As long as you keep posting here maintaining your more recent attitude, and your behavior changes are occurring, I think that she will start to have hope.

Yes, Thank you and Sugarcane. I understand what you're saying and I know how much time you have invested in me. I know how long it takes me to process and respond.

You two give me a little hope. I'll keep posting. My wife is spent and isn't right now. I hurt her terribly, I understand. No more of that.

And, though I haven't figured out the email thing yet, I e-mailed MBDenali and think I'll get it resolved. Until then, I'll just keep the MB forum on my phone to monitor.

Thanks,
Remark

D
D
Good plan, Remark. You really can do this. Once you have developed habits, then there won't be as much processing taking place. It becomes more automatic thinking, just like your current habits WERE. smile

S
S
I want to explore the in-laws issue a but more.

It sounds to me as if today, there is a straight choice between your doing what your wife wants, which is not to travel and see your family - or perhaps she does not want to see the family at all; I'm not sure, and I'd appreciate your clarification - and doing what you want, which is to travel and see them.

I don't want to make it sound as if that position is permanent. I think that none of us knows whether it is permanent.

What I think has happened is that you have behaved independently in this area, as with many others, and that has ticked off your wife and now she says "do what you want to do". However, you know that this isn't POJA, and the situation leaves you uncertain and unhappy.

Here is how POJA on this issue should work. The following are edited replies on Dr Harley's private forum. I think the post about contact with a sister is the closest to your position, because it involves one spouse who has been "uncared for" by the other spouse's behaviour, while the other spouse strongly wishes to maintain her close relationship with her sister.

(The first two replies, about mothers-in-law, are in fact to different posters):

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The Policy of Joint Agreement can be confusing when what you are doing (seeing your MIL) is not done with your enthusiastic agreement anymore. Would stop seeing your MIL be a change requiring your husband's enthusiastic agreement, or can you simply stop seeing her until you and your husband agree enthusiastically about the conditions that would make contact with her enjoyable for you?

My position is that the latter option should be followed. Since seeing your MIL is doing something, the POJA suggests you stop doing it until you and your husband can agree on new conditions that make contact work for you.

Your husband wants you to get along with his mother because she is a important person in your lives, and you would have difficulty replacing her. And, he doesn't experience the same negative reactions to her behavior that you experience. But all marriages are that way to some extent, so that's why I created the POJA, so that spouses who were not empathetic to each other's concerns would stop what they are doing until they were able to find a mutually comfortable resolution.
As for his mother, try to have as little contact with her as possible. Your husband is highly motivated to try to accommodate your feelings so that your marriage can be successful. His mother has no such motivation, and you will not be able to change that reality anytime soon. As soon as his mother realizes that her contact with him and her grandchildren depend on her respect for you, she may be more motivated to treat you the way all mothers-in-law should treat their daughters-in-law.
Joyce and I had a somewhat similar experience when my father lost his temper with Joyce over her use of makeup. Coming from a conservative Mennonite background, he didn't believe that women should use it. My immediate reaction was that we would not have any further contact with my parents until he apologized and Joyce was willing to restore a relationship with him. He did sincerely apologize, and we later discovered that he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Our relationship with my parents was restored, but the incident had a permanent effect on Joyce. She could not be with him for any length of time without experiencing extreme anxiety, but since they lived in a different state the problem was minimized. I let Joyce know that any contact we had with my family was entirely up to her.

In your case, I would recommend the same. Your husband understands the value of enthusiastic joint decisions in marriage, and how in-laws can ruin that enthusiasm. Your in-laws have much to gain by reconciling, and will try to do so as best they can to win your favor. But even if they react perfectly from now on, you will probably react the way Joyce did toward my father -- with great anxiety. The fact that he apologized and that we discovered that the cause was the early stages of dementia didn't affect her negative reaction. She did her best to reconcile but nothing changed the effect he had on her. The fact that my mother supported her reaction, and was extremely upset with my father for what he did, helped. But it could not erase the nightmare she experienced.
Joyce and I faced a similar situation when my father lost his temper with Joyce when we were visiting them. I told both my mother and father that we would not be having any contact with them until Joyce felt comfortable with it, which may never happen. My father wrote a very sincere apology, and Joyce forgave him. But if that apology had not been written, or if Joyce had not accepted it, we would not have seen them again.

Do nothing means no contact until you and (your H) come to an enthusiastic agreement about contacts between all of you, including him, and his parents. I've counseled many couples where parents have been "Plan Bd" and the parents usually get the message that if they want to see their child and grandchildren, they must treat their daughter or son-in-law with the utmost respect.
There are two types of control in marriage: Forcing your spouse to do something they don't want to do, and forcing your spouse to stop doing what you don't want them to do. I don't recommend either of those, but the first is usually far worse than the second. Doing something that's damaging is usually worse than not doing anything.

But the POJA is not designed to control anyone in marriage. In fact, it's designed to help spouses avoid being controlling. It's not a demand, it's a request that's based on the principle that two people who care for each other will avoid hurting each other. When one says that an act of the other is hurtful, they stop doing it. I've added the caveat, "enthusiastic," because I want to be sure that neither is agreeing to a hurtful act just to try to get along.

In the case of ... talking to her sister, it is offensive to ...for a variety of reasons, but I won't go into them now. The point is that he's told ... that he's offended by it. She now has a decision to make. If she talks to her sister, she knows that he will be offended. Does she care enough about his feelings to avoid doing something that will offend him?

... ... has already led ... to believe that she doesn't care about him. He will need plenty of evidence of her change of heart before he can trust her again, and every time she does something that she knows offends him, it sets their relationship back.

On the other hand, ... has been going through a great emotional turmoil with her effort to reconcile, and her sister provides much needed support for her. The solution to the problem she faces is to find the support she needs in a way that does not offend her husband.

In the meantime, I'd recommend avoiding contact with ... sister until you are both well on your way to recovery.
The POJA does not offer solutions to problems. It simply states that the only real solution must be one that makes both of you happy. This rule is needed in marriage because neither of you can feel the impact of each other's choices, and are likely to make decisions that work to the benefit of only one of you. As you've already discovered, those decisions, such as the one you made when you decided to have an affair, will ruin your marriage.

But it may take quite a while before you have become experts at making mutually enthusiastic decisions. Right now, you may be stuck with either violating the rule, or doing nothing, because you don't know how to how to make decisions that take each other's feelings into account. And that's where the rule is particularly valuable. It states that you must do nothing under those conditions. It forces you to put the four guidelines to successful negotiation on the front burner so that you can get on with life.

My advice is for both of you to stick to the POJA for the rest of your lives together, since any violation will threaten your marriage. And now is the time to practice making all of your decisions mutually beneficial. If by Christmas you have not yet found a way to solve this in-law problem with mutual enthusiasm, neither of you should share this holiday with them. But I'm sure that by next Christmas, you'll have something worked out.

Of course, your in-laws may not understand what you're trying to achieve, and may not cooperate with you. They may try to interfere with the steps you're taking to build your marriage. Even if you are uncomfortable being with them this Christmas, they may insist that at least he join them. If that's the case, your husband must gently but firmly let them know that their efforts are not helping, and that from now on his decisions must make you both happy.

Holidays are usually very difficult for marriages that are in the process of recovery, so this year may be a throw-away season. But by next year, the relationship you have with your in-laws may be terrific, and your holiday experience will match the quality of your marriage.
Remember to apply the Policy of Joint Agreement to every decision you make. Unless you are in enthusiastic agreement about your husband's private conversations with his family, they should not take place. If you are enthusiastically willing to have those conversations when both of you are present, then his family can choose to either talk with both of you or not talk at all. It's that simple.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I think there are two things that you need to take from the above quotes.

The first is to understand how POJA works, and why you should always be using it. This applies to all decisions in your life.

The second takeaway, though, applies to the situation right now with your family. That is, that how and under what conditions your wife would be happy to see your family is too big a decision for you to be trying to POJA today, while your marriage is virtually non-existent.

You need to first learn to use POJA in smaller, everyday decisions, and you need to eliminate all other love busters. Only when the threat is over (that your marriage will collapse any day), and only when your love bank balance in your wife's account begins to build, and only when the two of you are skilled at using POJA over smaller issues, will you be able to revisit this issue without the raising of the subject causing more distress for your wife.

Here is what Dr Harley said on the subject of WHEN to negotiate, to a couple who could not agree on whether the children should see their grandparents. This couple were, like you, on the brink of separation, and indeed they went on to divorce. The point is that like yours, their marriage was in a state of such crisis that Dr H recommended NOT negotiating the high-conflict issue of the in-laws at the present time:

The POJA is a rule that when followed leads to the creation of a lifestyle that's enjoyable for both spouses. It's the central goal of marital negotiation. But implementation of that crucial rule is impossible if a couple persists in demands, disrespectful judgments, or angry outbursts. It can only be implemented in a safe and pleasant environment.

It's my position that until you can completely avoid arguing about anything with your wife, you will not be able to negotiate about in-laws or anything else. Right now, conflicts will always lead to massive Love Bank withdrawals whenever you try to resolve them.

With the holidays coming up, I recommend that your children be able to see their grandparents. If you were to divorce, they would have every right to do so. You would have no choice in the matter. To avoid that tragic outcome, your primary objective right now should be to make Love Bank deposits, and any attempt on your part to resolve a conflict will do the opposite.

When you can raise issues without being demanding, disrespectful, or angry, you will be in a position to implement the POJA. You're not there yet. Next year, during the holidays, your negotiating skills may have risen to a level where you and your wife can come to a mutually enjoyable agreement regarding your children's visits with their grandparents. But for now, my advice is to let them go, and focus your attention on avoiding conflicts.
Despite your father's advanced age, you should leave this issue alone for now. Do not use direct or indirect means to communicate that you wish your wife would enthusiastically agree for you to visit the family. You will be able to revisit this issue if your marriage turns around - which, if it does, will mean that your POJA skills have improved. If your marriage improves, it will be because you have both learned how to take each other's perspective into account before making enthusiastic joint decisions.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
L
What about Remarks plan to visit his parents without his Wife having to go with?

Isn't that Independent Behavior going to create additional Love Bank Withdrawals?

I specifically raise that point, because I foresee that action as not providing the behavior that his Wife desires out of him and she is reluctantly just telling him to go there without her, because she just doesn't give a darn anymore.

LTL

S
S
Originally Posted by LearnedTooLate
What about Remarks plan to visit his parents without his Wife having to go with?

Isn't that Independent Behavior going to create additional Love Bank Withdrawals?

I specifically raise that point, because I foresee that action as not providing the behavior that his Wife desires out of him and she is reluctantly just telling him to go there without her, because she just doesn't give a darn anymore.
We've addressed that point. Have you read all the posts since Remark came back?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Last night, wife said "you know our marriage is unrecoverable, right?"
The night before she said she felt her life was in limbo, not able to go forward with me in it.
What can I do to console her, give her hope?
Remark

L
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane

Yes I have.

This left me wondering what he was still going to do though.

Not so much. I do feel a need to go see my parents as they age and that is my former hometown. It's not a burden to me to go up there. It is for her, I understand. No selfish demand from me.

He said he is not demanding it from her while also stating it was no burden for him to go there.

Maybe you interpreted it differently than I did, but I felt the point needed clarification.

Not only do not request/require his Wife to go to his Parents Hometown, but also that he does not go, leaving her behind.

LTL

S
S
Despite your father's advanced age, you should leave this issue alone for now. Do not use direct or indirect means to communicate that you wish your wife would enthusiastically agree for you to visit the family. You will be able to revisit this issue if your marriage turns around - which, if it does, will mean that your POJA skills have improved. If your marriage improves, it will be because you have both learned how to take each other's perspective into account before making enthusiastic joint decisions.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
D
Last night, wife said "you know our marriage is unrecoverable, right?"
The night before she said she felt her life was in limbo, not able to go forward with me in it.
What can I do to console her, give her hope?
Remark

Unless there are facts we haven't heard, your marriage IS recoverable. She can heal from her resentment and you can have a great marriage. She has a shred of hope or she wouldn't be talking to you.

Don't argue with her. Feelings CAN and DO change. Your job is to prime the pump by changing your habits. Please don't judge her current feelings. You can't change them. The only way to give her hope is to stop hurting her and start protecting her.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Yes I have.

This left me wondering what he was still going to do though.

Not so much. I do feel a need to go see my parents as they age and that is my former hometown. It's not a burden to me to go up there. It is for her, I understand. No selfish demand from me.

He said he is not demanding it from her while also stating it was no burden for him to go there.

Maybe you interpreted it differently than I did, but I felt the point needed clarification.

Not only do not request/require his Wife to go to his Parents Hometown, but also that he does not go, leaving her behind.

LTL

Remark here,
What I was intending to convey is that, if it is Not independent behavior, and she doesn't want to go visit them, may/should I go alone? As I understand independent behavior, it is not IB if both parties agree in POJA fashion, with neither being neglected or offended. Joyce goes shopping or to choir while Dr H does something else with no IB being committed. Now, granted, a weekend apart isn't good normally, but we sleep in different rooms anyway. I'd miss her, but I don't think I would be missed.
It is a six hour drive to their town. That is the 'burden' to her that I don't mind.

You're saying I shouldn't go at all even if she approves of it?

Remark

S
S

I might be wrong, but I do not interpret that post as Remark saying that he plans to go to his home town without her.

I read it say that although the trips (that they make together) are not a burden for him, he knows that they are for her, and thus he won't be demanding that they go. He did not seem to be saying anything about going by himself.

This thread has condemned his independent behaviour many times. There is no suggestion that it would be right for him to go and see his parents alone, against his wife's wishes.

My additional point, taken from Dr Harley's posts, about leaving the issue alone should make it clear that he needs to...leave the issue of visiting his parents alone. That means - the whole issue. He can't leave an issue alone by discussing another strategy related to it.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
OK,

Yes, I read the above quotes. From my perspective, (1) I used to want her to go up with me (selfish demand). I've eliminated that and reduced amount of visits. (2) we live 6 hrs south of my parents and one brother. My sister and family live 4 hrs north of that. So, we 'meet in the middle' for holidays. Over the 20 years of marriage, we've gone up to meet see everyone, many, many more times than they have been down here. It's a second issue to my wife that there hasn't been equal trips down here. That was how she felt for they 1st approx 12 years. Then, they said some things causing a falling out. Everyone apologized and forgave each other but wife is not comfortable them visiting here.

My wife's family is all local here, where we live. So, that might be a dynamic involved from her perspective. Until me, she never had to travel to isit family as I have for many, many years.

So, applying POJA, the above quotes, etc. are difficult for me now.

That help?

Remark

Last edited by Remark; 04/15/15 11:18 AM.
S
S
Remark here,
What I was intending to convey is that, if it is Not independent behavior, and she doesn't want to go visit them, may/should I go alone? As I understand independent behavior, it is not IB if both parties agree in POJA fashion, with neither being neglected or offended. Joyce goes shopping or to choir while Dr H does something else with no IB being committed. Now, granted, a weekend apart isn't good normally, but we sleep in different rooms anyway. I'd miss her, but I don't think I would be missed.
It is a six hour drive to their town. That is the 'burden' to her that I don't mind.

You're saying I shouldn't go at all even if she approves of it?

Remark
Remark, I don't think you'd even be discussing this issue here if you already knew for certain that your wife was enthusiastic about your going to visit your family alone.

I think that what you need to ask yourself is whether a visit alone would make love bank deposits. If it would not make love bank deposits, then don't do it.

We've talked about your wife saying "do what you like", and I think you knew before you began posting again this week that her saying that is not POJA.

I would say that you would not be showing care and concern for your wife's treatment by your family if you even tried to get her agreement to your going alone. She might even say "yes" enthusiastically, because that would get you off her back for another few months, and lessen your resentment, but think about the resentment that your going might create for her.

If I read this correctly, your family has sometimes been unkind to your wife, and that is partly why she does not want to go. If you go and see them alone because she won't go with you, what does that say about your caring about how she has been treated?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I don't really understand. Why is how to proceed on this issue, based on what you have read in Dr Harley's responses, difficult?

I should have thought that Dr Harley's responses had made things crystal clear. Explain to me what the doubt is about.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
D
[quote=LearnedTooLate] [Quote]

My additional point, taken from Dr Harley's posts, about leaving the issue alone should make it clear that he needs to...leave the issue of visiting his parents alone. That means - the whole issue. He can't leave an issue alone by discussing another strategy related to it.

I agree completely.

Since this has been a point of issue in the past, Remark needs to prioritize his marriage above any effort with extended family. Until his wife feels prioritized, then no focus on all the less important cerebral points about parents etc.

Plus, no nights apart and only enthusiastic agreement. Wife is in no emotional condition to give EA on anything right now.

A
A
OK,

Because you prioritize your desires over your wife.

I
I
And church, was for the programs. I should admit though, that my son and I did go to church on Easter, because... it was Easter.

Yeah. A day when your marriage comes first just like every other day.

This sounds like you think it's ok to do IB if there's a really good reason or something you think is more important.

You cannot ever afford to let your wife think anything is more important than the marriage. You just can't.

Dr H gets a lot of letters about whether faith/personal philosophies or marriage comes first. It's both. Your marriage is your life. You make your marriage your faith. You make your marriage your church. An active one.

It's pointless to go to church and talk the talk if you aren't walking the walk in the exact place your faith is supposed to be for.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
S
Then, they said some things causing a falling out. Everyone apologized and forgave each other but wife is not comfortable them visiting here.
Has she expressed enthusiasm about your visiting alone?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
At this point she wants me to do everything alone. One of her arguments for divorce is that I could go see them whenever I want.

It's so hard when love and family should be so easy. And yes, she is my first priority family, though she has said she'd never ask me to choose between all of them and her because she feels she'd lose. That conveys her position. Yet there is no animosity from their side. So, it's so sad it seems like it has to be an either/or deal.
Remark

Page 26 of 74 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation