Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 34 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 33 34
J
OP Offline
J
SugarCane, thanks for the work you've put into Remark again. I'm sorry, but I'm just not up for engaging in another forum discussion. I just want to put an end to all this and get on with a new life.

I only wanted to stop in for a minute and clarify something on Remark's thread. Back in December, several people were pushing the question, "Will you agree to stop doing anything that your wife is not enthusiastic about, including seeing your father if that is how she feels? Will you follow this program, or will you make an exception for this?" Remark never did answer the question, because the answer is "no."

Yesterday, I asked, "Would you at some point please explain to the forum people that you're not willing to give up your family? You're going at this, I believe, thinking you'll be able to have a Harley marriage AND still keep your family. I believe they would be able to correct you. You keep saying that you want a Harley marriage, but it's still coming across loud and clear that you want what you once had with me, and that will never happen again."

Yesterday's post was his response to that. Again he never stated his choice, only that he has to make one. He also minimized the very hurtful interactions he had with his siblings, only indicating that he "mentioned" something, yet in reality the series of accusatory emails they exchanged looked more like a witch-hunt. He's still painting himself out to be wonderful and me to be an unreasonable cow.

Everyone has been so generous and patient with him, but he's still just giving lip-service back. It still looks the same as always from my perspective.

D
D
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
SugarCane, thanks for the work you've put into Remark again. I'm sorry, but I'm just not up for engaging in another forum discussion. I just want to put an end to all this and get on with a new life.
It's okay. You are not obligated. But it does help us to hit the mark better. wink

I only wanted to stop in for a minute and clarify something on Remark's thread. Back in December, several people were pushing the question, "Will you agree to stop doing anything that your wife is not enthusiastic about, including seeing your father if that is how she feels? Will you follow this program, or will you make an exception for this?" Remark never did answer the question, because the answer is "no."

So, just to clarify, you are not enthusiastic with him ever seeing his father? Either way you feel is fine, but it definitely helps us to clearly know.

Yesterday, I asked, "Would you at some point please explain to the forum people that you're not willing to give up your family? You're going at this, I believe, thinking you'll be able to have a Harley marriage AND still keep your family. I believe they would be able to correct you. You keep saying that you want a Harley marriage, but it's still coming across loud and clear that you want what you once had with me, and that will never happen again."

Can you please help me understand that last sentence?

Yesterday's post was his response to that. Again he never stated his choice, only that he has to make one. He also minimized the very hurtful interactions he had with his siblings, only indicating that he "mentioned" something, yet in reality the series of accusatory emails they exchanged looked more like a witch-hunt. He's still painting himself out to be wonderful and me to be an unreasonable cow.

I just posted something that I was editing to post last night, but had to get off. Did I hit the mark?

Everyone has been so generous and patient with him, but he's still just giving lip-service back. It still looks the same as always from my perspective.

We are able to be patient because we have not been hurt by him. But just because we are generous and patient does not mean that we believe everything. Thank you so much DaytoDay for helping us.

Day-

I have been in the same position with my husband and his family. Gradually, as my husband's picture of marriage has changed, his ability to protect me has changed. He always felt like he was doing the "wrong" thing to take sides,but now he knows that we are joined at the hip in a 3-legged race, and whatever happens to me, happens to the both of us. I say this not to persuade you in any way, but to tell you that I wouldn't be here posting to your husband if I felt that it was impossible. Even if you divorce him, it doesn't serve any purpose for him to go on talking about a "Harley marriage" as if it is some strange, outlying exception to the norm. A happy marriage is rare because so many of us are lacking the skills and blueprint that we need to be successful. Just because we have failed in the past, doesn't mean that can't change our habits and succeed in the future. THAT is how hatchets are truly buried.

S
S
I just want to put an end to all this and get on with a new life.
JDD, what support are you looking for, for your husband? How do you want this forum to help him?

I'm asking because you asked him to post, and I have taken a lot of time to post to him, but the above statement confuses me.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
OP Offline
J
SugarCane, I don't know what you can do to help my husband. I don't know that anyone can do anything. Frankly, I asked him to post on the forum again because I just needed a break. During his hiatus from posting, I was his only target, and I just couldn't take anymore. At least the forum can spread him around to multiple posters. Plus, he's much more polite to them than to me.

Also, I've found that the people on this forum speak my mind for me so accurately that I knew I could trust them. And reading someone else say the same things I was thinking, to see them have the same negative reaction and point out the same unacceptable behaviors, helps me feel like I'm not completely crazy. This forum has been a life-line for me, even if it doesn't help to save my marriage.

During his hiatus, he started seeing a counselor that stated he didn't believe in programs like the Harley program, called it a "12-step program," told my husband to go back to attending church and bible study and to reconnect with some friends, and so he did. I pointed out that it contradicted what the forum people told him, and he said he couldn't remember anything anyone told him. 40+ pages and he couldn't remember any of it. That was it for me, I couldn't take it anymore, so I asked him to come back here. Unfortunately, even though he's posting again, he's not being honest. So while I hear you and Dr. Harley say you believe he's trying to save his marriage, I'm afraid I don't.

S
S
SugarCane, I don't know what you can do to help my husband. I don't know that anyone can do anything. Frankly, I asked him to post on the forum again because I just needed a break. During his hiatus from posting, I was his only target, and I just couldn't take anymore. At least the forum can spread him around to multiple posters. Plus, he's much more polite to them than to me.

Also, I've found that the people on this forum speak my mind for me so accurately that I knew I could trust them. And reading someone else say the same things I was thinking, to see them have the same negative reaction and point out the same unacceptable behaviors, helps me feel like I'm not completely crazy. This forum has been a life-line for me, even if it doesn't help to save my marriage.
In what way are you his target? What does he do that you can't take any more?

I find it helpful for you to post your perspective on the issues that he posts about, and those that he leaves out. The problem, if you don't post, is that he can leave out whatever behaviours he does not want to discuss, and we are none the wiser. We can take him to task when he tries to whitewash specific incidents, but we can't say anything about the incidents of which we are unaware - like his using you as a "target", and his claim not to remember anything anyone told him.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by SugarCane
In what way are you his target? What does he do that you can't take any more?

I find it helpful for you to post your perspective on the issues that he posts about, and those that he leaves out. The problem, if you don't post, is that he can leave out whatever behaviours he does not want to discuss, and we are none the wiser. We can take him to task when he tries to whitewash specific incidents, but we can't say anything about the incidents of which we are unaware - like his using you as a "target", and his claim not to remember anything anyone told him.
I struggled with the word "target" when I wrote it. I don't know what the right word is, but basically I meant it's just me against him. He has the type of conversations with me that he has on the forum (excuses/explanations/argumentative/etc.) except he's a lot less respectful with me, with an added bonus of blame-shifting. Plus, he gives me no credibility for any perspective I share, so either the conversations go round and round, or I just throw my hands up and give it up.

There's something terribly devaluing about him looking me in the eye and saying, "I know, I understand, it hurts when I do X," and then keep doing exactly that. It's much easier if I just don't bother to point it out anymore and let our marriage take it's natural course. There's nothing he doesn't already know, nothing I haven't already shared multitudes of times. And as far as me letting you know what he does that he consciously chooses not to tell you -- what value does that have? If he would rather save face with a bunch of anonymous internet strangers than honestly and proactively do whatever he can to save this marriage, how important can it really be to him?

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 04/21/15 09:24 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
I've looked through the recent posts on Remark's thread, and I wanted to share some thoughts on our situation, partly to help those that are responding to Remark, but as much to help myself, to be honest. I've thought about what to write for several days but I'm still struggling with the words. I'm afraid I'm not going to do very well so I apologize up front.

On the radio program, Dr. Harley spoke recently about wives that are in stage 3. I recognize that stage. But is there a stage 4? Because I feel like that's where I am now. I'm resigned to the situation, I'm no longer fighting the inevitable, and I'm even looking forward to some of the upcoming changes. At the same time, the road to get us here and the reality of it finally playing out has left me rather shell-shocked. Remark signed a contract on a condo last week and will be moving out the end of May, so the train I've seen coming down the track for so long has arrived at the station.

Besides the "stage 4" stuff I mentioned above, I'm struggling with a ton of anger towards him right now. Our son knows we're separating, and not surprising, it's hard on him. I knew it would be and held it together as long as I could, but that wasn't a good environment for him either. I'm angry at Remark because he couldn't get with the program (the one HE was marketing to ME!) and it put me in the position where I had to choose between the impact to my health or the impact to my son. I finally determined my son would prefer to have living parents, even if it meant they were divorced. But that doesn't lessen the impact on him in this situation.

So now, at the advice of the forum, Remark is asking me how my day was, and if he can go with me when I walk the dog, and sending me texts during the day. I appreciate that everyone means well, and that the actions would even be appreciated if I was complaining about him not being romantic enough. But right now, it's the last thing in the world I want from him. With the underlying anger I'm dealing with, it takes everything I've got just to be civil to him otherwise. So I'd like to request that everyone take a different tack with him.

Besides, these aren't the things that destroyed our marriage. It was his lying, independent behavior, and prioritizing his family over me, along with his disrespectful, contemptuous attitude towards me in day-to-day life. Even last week, he made two references to me trying to control him, in response to something I did which didn't even include him. In another recent radio program, Dr. Harley talked about the approach-avoidance conflict regarding a man that had worked through recovering from his wife's affair, only to question if he really even wanted to save the marriage afterall. I feel like this could easily apply to my husband. Right now, he's acting like he likes me, but when we're engaged with each other to any extent, he seems to carry such disdain for me.

My point is that I don't believe anything has been corrected with these bigger issues. And while I believe very much in the concept of "teach a man to fish...," I feel like the recent posts have been a lot of "give a man a fish." He's always been good about the superficial aspects of a relationship, especially if you give him a list and don't expect him to put any thought into it. Meanwhile, the important/significant issues are ignored. But without a solid foundation to our marriage, it's like building a house on sand. The first strong wave will topple it.

P
P
So I'd like to request that everyone take a different tack with him.
No.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

D
D
What a helpful, thoughtful post, Day. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback.

I won't be able to respond much tonight because of UA time, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you sharing your perspective with us.

I'll just leave you with something to muse about:

I believe that Marriage Builders does teach a man to fish. But it also gives him the tools to do it. And sometimes the posters do actually give the fish.

So, If a man learns to fish, does it really matter which method he learns by? Mimicry and Instruction or Trial and Error... One of those will ensure that he learns proper fishing form as long as the trainer is modeling properly. The trial and error method might work for some, but it doesn't seem to have worked for your husband.

M
M

Can you be a little more specific? What tack do you want us to take?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
D
I've looked through the recent posts on Remark's thread, and I wanted to share some thoughts on our situation, partly to help those that are responding to Remark, but as much to help myself, to be honest. I've thought about what to write for several days but I'm still struggling with the words. I'm afraid I'm not going to do very well so I apologize up front. Thank you so much for your thoughts, and for helping us by giving insight.

On the radio program, Dr. Harley spoke recently about wives that are in stage 3. I recognize that stage. But is there a stage 4? Because I feel like that's where I am now. I'm resigned to the situation, I'm no longer fighting the inevitable, and I'm even looking forward to some of the upcoming changes. At the same time, the road to get us here and the reality of it finally playing out has left me rather shell-shocked. Remark signed a contract on a condo last week and will be moving out the end of May, so the train I've seen coming down the track for so long has arrived at the station. Dr. Harley is the one to ask.

Besides the "stage 4" stuff I mentioned above, I'm struggling with a ton of anger towards him right now. Our son knows we're separating, and not surprising, it's hard on him. I knew it would be and held it together as long as I could, but that wasn't a good environment for him either. I'm angry at Remark because he couldn't get with the program (the one HE was marketing to ME!) and it put me in the position where I had to choose between the impact to my health or the impact to my son. I finally determined my son would prefer to have living parents, even if it meant they were divorced. But that doesn't lessen the impact on him in this situation. I can imagine. I ended up with tons of resentment and anger too, after 20 years of craziness. I know that it is real. I understand the part about trying to stay calm and be civil. I remember being in your shoes, where almost everything my husband said represented one of his disrespectful communication habits. And the scariest thing was that on the rare occasion that he tried to listen to my complaint, he had no frame of reference for what I was experiencing, and he didn�t really see it. As a result, he felt that I was to blame for our miscommunications. I felt hopeless.

So now, at the advice of the forum, Remark is asking me how my day was, and if he can go with me when I walk the dog, and sending me texts during the day. I appreciate that everyone means well, and that the actions would even be appreciated if I was complaining about him not being romantic enough. But right now, it's the last thing in the world I want from him. With the underlying anger I'm dealing with, it takes everything I've got just to be civil to him otherwise. So I'd like to request that everyone take a different tack with him. Since I was one who suggested these things, I want you to know that I appreciate your input. As Marcos asked, can you help me with your request for �a different tack�? I don�t remember suggesting romance. Can you help me out here?

Besides, these aren't the things that destroyed our marriage. It was his lying, independent behavior, and prioritizing his family over me, along with his disrespectful, contemptuous attitude towards me in day-to-day life. Even last week, he made two references to me trying to control him, in response to something I did which didn't even include him. In another recent radio program, Dr. Harley talked about the approach-avoidance conflict regarding a man that had worked through recovering from his wife's affair, only to question if he really even wanted to save the marriage afterall. I feel like this could easily apply to my husband. Right now, he's acting like he likes me, but when we're engaged with each other to any extent, he seems to carry such disdain for me. I promise you that many of us here DO get it. And your husband has finally listened to you and come here for help, without really understanding what it was that he needed help with. We are trying to help him see things differently. He is the example for your son, right?
I have boys too. I didn�t want them to treat their wives like I had been treated and even if your marriage fails, you want your son to have a good role model don�t you? It�s very helpful for you to point out the problems to us, so that we can help your husband. However, I believe that he is genuine in his desire to be a better husband to YOU. And I promise you that if he sticks around here, he will be. You don�t have to keep him. That is your choice. But at least he can learn here how to be respectful to you.

My point is that I don't believe anything has been corrected with these bigger issues. And while I believe very much in the concept of "teach a man to fish...," I feel like the recent posts have been a lot of "give a man a fish." He's always been good about the superficial aspects of a relationship, especially if you give him a list and don't expect him to put any thought into it. Meanwhile, the important/significant issues are ignored. But without a solid foundation to our marriage, it's like building a house on sand. The first strong wave will topple it. I already responded to this. I�m not sure if my response seemed relevant or off base to you. I agree with the foundation issue.

As far as �significant issues�, the past needs to stay in the past. You can�t fix it and the damage is done. If there is something which could be corrected in the present, then those specifics are what we would really like you to CONTINUE to point out to us.

As far as the �list� thing? My husband had lists and lists for a while. He complained that all of the MB rules and my rules, and whatever rules were �tax code� he would never be able to incorporate them on the fly. But, over time, all of the individual rules started to become a big spider web of interconnected concepts in his brain. MB Radio and the reference of Dr. Harley�s books make all the difference. We have some handicaps and there�s a lot of improvement still needed in our marriage. Even though I�m sad about the past, the resentment is gone. My husband has learned a framework of marriage which far surpasses that of most men around me. That would be difficult to reproduce. He is now respectful and often apologizes for his disdain and contempt toward me. He just stood up for me to his family the other day in a way that was more noble and defined than even I would have considered loyal. I was in shock. His family has never really accepted me, and my husband risked lots of money and family relationships to make it clear AGAIN that he and I are one. End of story. I�m still just a bit incredulous.

I guess I just told you of the reasons why I am posting to your husband. I have seen Dr. Harley help people who most counselors would tell to get a divorce. He never says never because he knows that people can change and they do every day. He created MARRIAGE BUILDERS�

Your husband is here at MB posting, so he will get Marriage Builders advice as long as he sticks with it. My experience has been that there IS hope. You are too tired right now to go through it with your husband. Too raw. Marcos did it. My husband is doing it. GracefultoBe�s husband has a similar personality and he has made changes. I have made changes and still have more changing to do. Your husband can do it too. If he is willing.
Once again, Day, thank you for your input. I would love to have a reply, but I understand if you just can't. Big hugs to you and prayers for healing.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 04/30/15 07:43 PM. Reason: Continue to Point out Lovebusters Please.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by markos
Can you be a little more specific? What tack do you want us to take?
I don't have a tack that I want you to take. If I knew what would work, I would have taken it myself long ago. But I'm definitely not up for the level of interaction with him that you're suggesting. I feel like I'm having a conversation with old Aunt Ethel, and she's suggesting that I "just go have tea with him a few times. He can be such pleasant company, can't he? Eventually it won't matter that he's a werewolf. Afterall, he isn't like that ALL the time, right? Only once in a while. And besides, he isn't one right now, so nevermind that he tears you to shreds occasionally. Stop focusing on that and go have tea!"

Dr. Harley suggested TO HIM that he needs to eliminate his LB's before he attempts to make any deposits. I've heard him say in general that as long as there are still LB's, a person won't make any progress with making deposits, so I feel like the advice Remark is getting is contrary to Dr. Harley's. Dr. Harley has also referred to Remark as a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, which I've stated many times before. Well Mr. Hyde is still very much alive and well. He comes out when I'm his focus or the topic of discussion. He used to come out in his posts on his thread a few months ago, but you've squashed his including comments about me in his posts recently, so I doubt you'll be seeing him much anymore. Unfortunately, I will though, in person. You're working on changing the behavior of 'Dr. Jekyl,' but Mr. Hyde is being completely ignored.

I'm glad that this approach worked with you and Prisca. But I don't feel safe with him and until I do, I'm going to stay as far away from him as I can. I feel what you're doing is like pushing an athlete to play on an injury. Rather than take some time off and give the injury time to heal, you keep pushing the athlete to play on it. Instead, you're risking damaging it further, to the point where it may never heal properly, and with Mr. Hyde in the game, there WILL be injuries.

J
OP Offline
J
DidntQuit, thank you for your time and your encouraging words. It's always good to hear a success story. The incident you described regarding your husband defending you makes my heart flip. I understand your reaction to it, truly I do!

I've read through both your posts and wanted to reply at least briefly. While I understand your points and appreciate the progress you've made with your H, it seems so distant from where we are. Remark's defensiveness is still rampant, even if he's learned to bite his tongue. I don't believe someone will embrace new attitudes/behaviors as long as they're still defending their old ones, albeit silently.

I have one question for you, in response to your statement that "the past needs to stay in the past." What determines that something is "in the past?" If he did something just yesterday, Remark will say it's in the past. Also, he has demonstrated for 20 years that he is comfortable with lying to me in order to get what he wants. I understand that the individual incidents are in the past, but his (word?) toward it that caused him to choose that option in the first place is simply part of him. Like the fact that he enjoys softball. Even though he hasn't played softball for 6 months, his (word?) toward it is still very much in the present.

P
P
Perhaps you can be more specific on his lovebusters?

Markos was a rager. He scared me, and I did not feel safe with him either. This program didn't work for us just because we were some special, easy case.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
JDtD, can you give us some examples of recent Mr. Hyde behavior?

Also, is he attempting to educate you on the Marriage Builders program at all? I particularly remember that Dr. Harley told him to NOT do that, and I'm particularly interested in if he is following that instruction or not. That was one of the major mistakes I made with Prisca, and I am probably lucky to be alive at this point!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
D
DidntQuit, thank you for your time and your encouraging words. It's always good to hear a success story. The incident you described regarding your husband defending you makes my heart flip. I understand your reaction to it, truly I do!

I've read through both your posts and wanted to reply at least briefly. While I understand your points and appreciate the progress you've made with your H, it seems so distant from where we are. Remark's defensiveness is still rampant, even if he's learned to bite his tongue. I don't believe someone will embrace new attitudes/behaviors as long as they're still defending their old ones, albeit silently.

I have one question for you, in response to your statement that "the past needs to stay in the past." What determines that something is "in the past?" If he did something just yesterday, Remark will say it's in the past. Also, he has demonstrated for 20 years that he is comfortable with lying to me in order to get what he wants. I understand that the individual incidents are in the past, but his (word?instinct? habit?) toward it that caused him to choose that option in the first place is simply part of him. Like the fact that he enjoys softball. Even though he hasn't played softball for 6 months, his (word?instinct? habit?) toward it is still very much in the present.

Does either word seem to fit into the blanks above?

So, to summarize:

1. You have seen little progress, and success seems so distant, if not impossible.

2. Defensiveness is one of his most common lovebusters. Even if he doesn't verbalize it, his attitude reflects
a) disdain or disrespectful judgment of your complaints and
b) unwillingness to accommodate your feelings.

3. For 20 yrs. he has lovebusted with habitual dishonesty to accommodate his IB and you now you can't trust him. This selfish instinct worries you, because he didn't protect you from it. You see that attitude from him in the present, so you consider it a present problem.

Day,Is this summary accurate?

J
OP Offline
J
DQ, I'll get back to your post in just a minute, but I needed to post something at Remark's request. It's been a topic of discussion for a long time and I'd like to put it to bed.

We had some more discussion about IB and Remark was trying to tell me how MY activity of co-ed volleyball was worse than his activity of co-ed softball. I asked him to explain how and he told me because he connected to his through work or through his daughters and I connected to mine though meetup.com. That's the part that he told me to make sure that I was clear about, that I found mine through "a meet-up site." I've tried to explain to him that the site is a means to connect groups of people that share a similar interest in an activity (again, meetup.com), that it's not a dating site. To my knowledge, he hasn't spent any time investigating it, or even logging into the site, but continues his judgmental predisposition that my activity is worse because of my discovery source. While I'm sure there are singles groups on the site, there's also old lady crochet groups. It covers all sorts of groups and activities, including groups that play softball like him. I used it to find a group that played recreational sand volleyball. Regardless, in the end, we were both playing co-ed sports, but to him, it's measurably different.

I asked what he was wanting from the site and he couldn't or wouldn't say, so I guess do whatever you want with this information. But it was important to Remark I tell you this, though I can't say why he opted out of posting it himself.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 05/02/15 07:27 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Does either word seem to fit into the blanks above?
You're on the right track, but they're not quite right. Both 'instinct' and 'habit' in my mind indicate that it's something done without thought or premeditation. With Remark, there's a definite conscious aspect to it. Regarding the incident with the toilet back in December, he told Dr. Harley that before he did it he had concluded, "She'll be mad, but she won't divorce me over this."

Originally Posted by DidntQuit
So, to summarize:

1. You have seen little progress, and success seems so distant, if not impossible. And any progress made is temporary.

2. Defensiveness is one of his most common lovebusters. Even if he doesn't verbalize it, his attitude reflects
a) disdain or disrespectful judgment of your complaints and
b) unwillingness to accommodate your feelings.
c) even put out by the fact that you have complaints or feelings in the first place.

3. For 20 yrs. he has lovebusted with habitual dishonesty to accommodate his IB and you now you can't trust him. This selfish instinct worries you, because he didn't protect you from it. You see that attitude from him in the present. You believe that people really don't change their core beliefs, so you consider it a present problem.

Day,Is this summary accurate? Beyond my corrections, it is very accurate.

J
OP Offline
J
Backing up a bit...

JDtD, can you give us some examples of recent Mr. Hyde behavior?
Just last night, he blamed me for his struggle with his perception of IB related to his church attendance and bible study group. He's very clearly still not on board. I tried referencing the discussion you had with him late November/early December, but he couldn't remember it. He mentioned that after he moves out at the end of the month, he'll be able to resume those activities. I asked if he was giving up reconciling and he said he wasn't, and thought he could still achieve that while resuming those activities. I could be wrong but that didn't sound right to me.

The blame was related to his claim that he initially gave up church and bible study because he remembers always having conflict with me about it. The truth is that "always" is only about 3 years, since I stopped attending with him, and the "conflict" was his own internal struggle because he felt awkward going alone and wanted me to go with him. I never actually voiced a word of complaint about it, but got blamed for 20 years of conflict.

Also, is he attempting to educate you on the Marriage Builders program at all?
Yes, he is. Which wouldn't be so bad if he was actually following it himself, but he's not.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
Perhaps you can be more specific on his lovebusters?
I don't feel physically unsafe, but mentally and emotionally. Dr. Harley refers to the need to make a conversation "safe." Ours is not.

As an example, Remark initiated a discussion this morning about a decision regarding our son, as to whether to let him do something or not based upon some behavior issues back in January. I spent 45 minutes in a discussion with him unable to glean his position/perspective on the matter. If I asked a question phrased, "What do you..?," he would answer, "Well, I don't...." I asked him specifically, "Are you saying you feel he should or should NOT be able to?" to which he replied that he wasn't saying either. Finally, I got too frustrated and left the conversation. As I left, I pointed out that the forum has given him specific instructions on how to do POJA, (that he should write them down and follow them exactly in order) and that he wasn't doing it.

A little later, he started the conversation again, but still wasn't following the steps of POJA. I would have thought he would have chased his notes/cheatsheet, but he didn't. The conversation continued in the same manner, riddled with ignored questions, defensiveness, and explanations like he does in his posts. The most offensive aspect of our conversations is the inserted adjectives. He can take an innocuous fact and restate it with inserted adjectives to make himself look good and me look bad. As an example, he referenced Marcos' discussion back in December regarding his church/bible study attendance as "giving him flack." Perhaps Marcos wouldn't be offended by that, but it's not at all the word I would have used to describe Marcos' assistance.

Page 10 of 34 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 272 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation