Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 74 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 73 74
A
A
Nice way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your marriage.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yesterday, my wife asked me to "explain to the forum that you are not willing to give up your family."

I asked for clarification. Who are we talking about? She just said "the question says family". So, that sounds like my entire family.

I know the Dr Harley answer when his father offended Joyce. They, two people, reconciled. My entire family? I struggle with that. To my know two people (other than me) offended my wife years ago.

I love my wife.

I struggle giving up my family, I have to assume everyone when she is leaving it undefined as to exactly who she is talking about.

Because I want my marriage to succeed, I'll entertain that. I'll give up my four other kids, (I presume she doesn't mean our son together,) my parents, and siblings, and grand children. That's some 20 plus people. (25, I just added them up.)

Please forum, now tell me how I communicate that to them.

I love her. I want to support her. I want to do the right thing.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Originally Posted by Remark
To all spouses, especially the guys,

Do not neglect the needs of your spouses.

DO follow the Harley principles and plan.
Do not value friends and family over her for anything.
I neglected my wife's needs for 20 years. I didn't invoke POJA. I did a lot of independent behavior thinking it was "normal" and OK, because I invited her along most of the time.
Dr Harley is absolutely correct when he asserts that spouses, especially wives, withdraw and at some point, they are too far gone for them to convince themselves to re-invest in their marriage.
At one point several years ago, she discussed divorce. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my sister and brother. They replied something to effect of "Give her the divorce. You've bent over backwards to please her." I responded with 'thank you' as I felt like I wasn't the one "off base" on whatever the issue(s) were and they weighing in with their opinion based on my input.
My first mistake was not using POJA for everything and acknowledging issues. My second was sharing with my siblings, and my third mistake was not defending my wife, in fact thanked them. For, if I were objective, I'd realize how much she had invested in me and my children, her stepchildren. I was such a selfish fool.
I cannot express enough my remorse, shame and regret.

Good points.

Now here's where it appears to get sketchy...

Now, it has become a matter of choosing between my large extended family and my wife.

Remark- Picture you and your wife, together, surrounded by a bubble. Whenever you are both ENTHUSIASTIC, you can see them. REGARDLESS of your wife's words, this is the rule. This is what �leaving and cleaving� means, Remark. You and your wife together may need to leave your family alone for a while until that bubble is built. Then, if successful, you might be able to add back interactions in a mutually enthusiastic way. In the past, your wife willingly engaged with you and your family, and when the ambush occurred, you defected to the enemy camp, leaving her alone to fight for herself. How could she even see them as allies? Even if she were willing, it would only be after being able to trust you, as her protector. That has NOT happened.

Whether you like it or not, the interaction you have with your family has been tarnished by YOUR OWN choices, and if you don't fix this now, there will be poor consequences for you with them even if you are divorced.

Yes, I agree. It was my choices for many years that has convinced her we must separate. That is why I felt compelled to warn other guys before it's too late.

I'm not giving up.

I love the bubble analogy. Am embracing it. It's been 5 - 8 years I'm guessing since my wife and we had the e-mail exchange where my wife was so character-assassinated based on the information I had given them. So, (1) I feel the guilt of supplying them with their "evidence" (2) I've repented from the sin of sharing that information with them or anyone.

And I don't even know the extent of what family members she is talking about. I even asked her just now, and she just said 'It doesn't matter." I said, "please it matters to me", and she said "(I'll ) pass". The email "altercation" 5-8 years ago involved my sister and brother. She feels distant from my Dad, but they've never had words or anything. I think she just feels they will all defend me to the end, if/when it comes out we are separating, no matter how I communicate it.

With my dad being 89, me the oldest, I just feel time is not to be lost/wasted.

By the way, it looks to me like you are seeing yourself as the victim or martyr here? (Blah, Blah, Blah, See? Even Dr. Harley says that it's too late. What's the point? My wife says Boo.)

Am I mistaken?[/color]

No, I'm not a martyr. Based on all she tells me, I am simply attempting to warn others of their fate if they follow my selfishness and stupidity. I'm a victim only in the sense of being a victim of my own stupid decisions over the years.

I know the Harley answer. It would have been infinitely easier to mourn a decision on some minor conflict than to mourn the loss of your wife or family. And with POJA, you wouldn't be mourning anything.

This is not the answer. It is a true statement, but don't mistake it as a judgment of the future. And don't use it as an excuse to give up. You are responsible to hold up your end of the marriage now, just like she did for 20 long years, Remark. Don't you dare quit on her now, and then gaslight her because she says she's done.

I'm not giving up. I just communicating on the forum what/where she is communicating where sh stands
She is beyond her point of returning to our marriage I fear.

You should fear. But fear is not a reason to quit or fall short of your marriage vows. Remark, you are talking like a quitter over and over again. She is not going to try to beg you to rise up and be the hero at this point. Why would she? Instead of filing for divorce, she sent you here. She sent you because she knew that we would help you, because you didn't want to hear her. Don't quit, Remark. You can do this. Hold fast to your partner, even when she can't do the same. Show her that you are starting to understand, and that when you hit confusion, you will be open to listening.

All I know to do is warn and advise others of my foolishness.

Is that really true?

Yes, I think so. I will honor my wife to the very end even when is it so hard.

Please heed my message of warning.

Remark,Love your spouse. Continue toFollow the Harley program before it's too late.

Remark-
Honor your wife. It is not too late to do that.

Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by apples123
Nice way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your marriage.

Apples,

Please explain. I'm not giving up. I'm not absolving myself from my sins, I'm trying to repair my marriage and warn others not to follow my path, but follow he Harley principles.

She asked me yesterday to post that I can't give up my family for her. I have hurt her so badly, that is her position. I don't think most of them have, just me and a brother and sister whom I had fed all their information. I made my own situation.

I'm sorry it came across so offensive and absolving to you.

I haven't given up. I haven't sought legal counsel of anything like that.

I suppose giving up my family is the 'just compensation' Dr Harley talks about.

Please respond,
Remark

D
D
Because I want my marriage to succeed, I'll entertain that. I'll give up my four other kids, (I presume she doesn't mean our son together,) my parents, and siblings, and grand children. That's some 20 plus people. (25, I just added them up.)

Does you wife want you to stop talking to them or just stop seeing them or have no relationship at all?

Dearest family-

For the next while, I will be focusing 100% on creating a great relationship with my wife whom I love dearly. As long as I am married, I will make all of my decisions with her in mind. I love you all and hope that you can support us in our plans to honor our marital vows to protect and care for each other.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Does you wife want you to stop talking to them or just stop seeing them or have no relationship at all?

Dearest family-

For the next while, I will be focusing 100% on creating a great relationship with my wife whom I love dearly. As long as I am married, I will make all of my decisions with her in mind. I love you all and hope that you can support us in our plans to honor our marital vows to protect and care for each other.

Didnt,

I don't know who all she's talking about. I asked and she won't tell me.

I've done similar before, but didn't last but a few months. I've done it on and off with several of the kids, and brother and sister, only to re-engage at some point, months later.

Her side of the family seems to have the ability to do this permanently and I don't know whether to respect it because it's akin to Harley, or to be saddened by it because it seems so wasteful. We only have so much time on this earth.

Isn't it fair for me to ask who all, exactly, she's talking about so to whom I'm going to send this letter? And, like you asked, does she mean no contact at all, no visiting, no relationship at all? What? She likes my stepmother a lot (Dad remarried 30+ years ago after my mother died in 1980.) Is she talking about my folks too?

Thank you. That does help though.

I'll do so, without complaining about it, with POJA, and pray for the best as soon as I figure out who she is talking about.

Thanks,
Remark

Last edited by Remark; 04/18/15 07:01 PM.
D
D
[quote=DidntQuit][quote=Remark]

Isn't it fair for me to ask who all, exactly, she's talking about so to whom I'm going to send this letter? And, like you asked, does she mean no contact at all, no visiting, no relationship at all? What? She likes my stepmother a lot (Dad remarried 30+ years ago after my mother died in 1980.) Is she talking about my folks too?

I'll do so, without complaining about it, with POJA, and pray for the best as soon as I figure out who she is talking about.

Thanks,
Remark

There is nothing earth shattering about this. You are making a loud and proud statement and letting them know that you are having a crisis and need to focus.

Do NOW and you won't have to ask later. Once your wife has the trust of your protection, she may actually approach the topic. But this take a while. You have a lot of changes to make. I'll bet that she is sad in a way that it has gotten to this point.

I have to go now, since we have a big family event, with my husband's parents coming. I finally after a few years, feel safe enough to do this. I don't really enjoy his family, after everything that's happened, but they have taken my husband's lead and are being more respectful of me and our partnership. My husband needed to set a precedent and lead the way.

ETA: (By setting boundaries and calling them out on bad behavior. His family was not happy about it, but they got used to being on their best behavior around me or they knew that he would pick ME. blush )

D
D

Dearest family-

Didnt,

I don't know who all she's talking about. I asked and she won't tell me.

I've done similar before, but didn't last but a few months. I've done it on and off with several of the kids, and brother and sister, only to re-engage at some point, months later.

Her side of the family seems to have the ability to do this permanently and I don't know whether to respect it because it's akin to Harley, or to be saddened by it because it seems so wasteful. We only have so much time on this earth.

It's more wasteful to deprioritize a wife of 20 years (who raised your kids) by counting on fingers. (1 wife vs. # of assorted extended family members.) I would feel so used if I were in her position. Dr. Harley does recommend to put marriage before any other relationship. You and your wife should agree on things and people, or do nothing.

Remark- You know exactly who has betrayed your wife and how your wife feels. You ignore her is my guess. She probably doesn't want to say "who" because she doesn't trust that you won't divulge or turn it on her. In a partnership, these decisions are made often. It's time to learn how to manage them.

Please don't use the "as soon as" excuse. That very statement requires your wife to draw the hard line instead of you. Please stop that. You KNOW what you should do. If you aren't going to then at least you can own it, Remark. Don't insult your wife (or us) by playing games. Which way is it?

Thanks,
Rem

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Didnt,

Please don't think these are 'games'. These are major life decisions, that I'd like to make wisely.

I'll send the letters out to all today.

Is e-mail OK? Or should this kind of thing be done with a stamped letter?

Thanks,
Remark

C
C
I would only send a letter with the enthusiastic agreement of your wife. If I was your wife I would be very hurt if you insisted on sending a letter. Your need to explain the situation to your family feels like you still care more about their feelings and reactions than how your wife feels. Tell your wife that you are taking a break from having a relationship with your family for the foreseeable future and POJA with her about who gets a letter and what it will say. If she won't POJA, do nothing. And don't mope or act sad or stressed about it EVER.

H
H
I have nothing long, nor elegant to add here.

However, just from the posts from this last week, I can guess you are going to end up divorced, Remark.

All you have really done here is attempt to explain or justify why you can't make the needed changes to save your marriage, and then put on a drama queen act about it.

Your long responses neither fool nor impress anyone.

You are not even one iota serious about saving your marriage. But, you sure put a lot of effort in attempting to impress anonymous strangers on the internet with hopes to manipulate your wife.

Are you here to learn marriage builders, or blog about why you can't?

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 04/19/15 12:28 PM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
To all spouses, especially the guys,

Do not neglect the needs of your spouses.

DO follow the Harley principles and plan.

Do not value friends and family over her for anything.

I neglected my wife's needs for 20 years. I didn't invoke POJA. I did a lot of independent behavior thinking it was "normal" and OK, because I invited her along most of the time.

Dr Harley is absolutely correct when he asserts that spouses, especially wives, withdraw and at some point, they are too far gone for them to convince themselves to re-invest in their marriage.

At one point several years ago, she discussed divorce. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my sister and brother. They replied something to effect of "Give her the divorce. You've bent over backwards to please her." I responded with 'thank you' as I felt like I wasn't the one "off base" on whatever the issue(s) were and they weighing in with their opinion based on my input.

My first mistake was not using POJA for everything and acknowledging issues. My second was sharing with my siblings, and my third mistake was not defending my wife, in fact thanked them. For, if I were objective, I'd realize how much she had invested in me and my children, her stepchildren. I was such a selfish fool.

I cannot express enough my remorse, shame and regret.

Now, it has become a matter of choosing between my large extended family and my wife.

I know the Harley answer. It would have been infinitely easier to mourn a decision on some minor conflict than to mourn the loss of your wife or family. And with POJA, you wouldn't be mourning anything.

She is beyond her point of returning to our marriage I fear.

All I know to do is warn and advise others of my foolishness.

Please heed my message of warning.

Love your spouse. Follow the Harley program before it's too late.
Remark, I think a decline set in when you made this post. Things have gone downhill on your thread since this.

The post serves no purpose. It does not ask for help. It does not describe a particular problem and it does not seek a solution. The whole MB forum is dedicated to helping posters take specific actions to improve or save their marriages. There was a time when reflective (and somewhat self-pitying) posts like this dominated the forum, but they have no place here any more.

As a result of this (self-pitying) post, you have been accused of gaslighting, and of not being serious, but I, like Dr Harley, think that you are genuinely trying to save your marriage. I don't know whether you'll succeed, because as you said, your wife has taken 20 years of your behaviour and is now checked out, but I do think you are trying, and I think you should continue trying.

You shouldn't make any more posts like that, but should focus on getting coaching, from us and Dr Harley, on what to do while things continue as they are.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sugarcane,

OK. Inappropriate, though it was s sincere warning, not meant to sound simply moping. Not sure how it was gaslighting.

Yes, things have declined.

Yes, I am sincerely still trying.

Yes, I am looking for help, coaching, advice.

Yes, she wants me out of the house ASAP. She's been very patient as I have been looking for a small house close by for the past few months, even while trying to reconcile. But her patience is waning.

Thanks for posting your advice/counsel even some encouragement,
Remark

S
S
Yes, she wants me out of the house ASAP.
When did she last say this?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

However, just from the posts from this last week, I can guess you are going to end up divorced, Remark.

All you have really done here is attempt to explain or justify why you can't make the needed changes to save your marriage, and then put on a drama queen act about it.

You are not even one iota serious about saving your marriage. But, you sure put a lot of effort in attempting to impress anonymous strangers on the internet with hopes to manipulate your wife.

HHH,

Yes, I am here to learn to be a better spouse, a Harley spouse. I am so interested that I am pursuing anonymous internet folks because they seem to have it mastered Dr. Harley's program which I, too, believe in and am learning, but not mastering at an impressive pace.

Sorry to come across as drama queen.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice.

Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Yes, she wants me out of the house ASAP.
When did she last say this?

Sugarcane,

She has been saying it for some time, several months.
2-3 weeks ago, Dr Harley advised her to give me another month.

Remark

S
S
She has been saying it for some time, several months.
2-3 weeks ago, Dr Harley advised her to give me another month.
Well, we'll leave the problem of your moving out at least until that period is reached. Don't discuss it here any more.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
H
H

HHH,

Yes, I am here to learn to be a better spouse, a Harley spouse. I am so interested that I am pursuing anonymous internet folks because they seem to have it mastered Dr. Harley's program which I, too, believe in and am learning, but not mastering at an impressive pace.

Remark

Ok.

So, what is your PLAN?

For today? Tomorrow? Next week?

Especially with your own admitted inattentiveness, you need to have a concrete PLAN. Have it written out.

What are your 3 worst Love Busters? How are you eliminating them?

What are your wife's top 3 ENs? What are you doing to meet them?

What are you doing for UA time?

Do you check in with your wife throughout the day?

Are YOU following POJA? If you don't get enthusiastic agreement, what do you do?

These questions don't require a rehash of 20 year marital history, prior thinking processes, or excuses why the program can't be followed. They require a yes/no and short explanation of your plan. No less, no more.

You are past a critical juncture - if I remember your wife's posts correctly, she's not just checked out, she can barely stand you, and it shows in her behavior towards you and how she views you.

As men, WE have the hardiness to turn it around, bit you no longer have time for excuses and ruminations. You need action NOW, and to start building habits NOW.

Get a notebook. Plan. Write things down.

Solutions are your only goal bow.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

H
H
I would also suggest that for now you "walk" marriage builders, and do not "talk" marriage builders with your wife. Model through your behavior. She's aware of the program, and the forum. Should you model properly, and clean up your side of the street, its likely she will get on board naturally.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

HHH,

Remark

Ok.
[/color]
So, what is your PLAN?
[color:#FF0000]Am going through the HWSW workbook alone.

For today? Tomorrow? Next week?
Same and eliminate LBs

Especially with your own admitted inattentiveness, you need to have a concrete PLAN. Have it written out.
OK

What are your 3 worst Love Busters? How are you eliminating them?
IB, Dishonesty, Annoying Habits

What are your wife's top 3 ENs? What are you doing to meet them?
Nothing as I am told kill the LBs first and foremost.

What are you doing for UA time? Talking when she wants to talk. SHe's not interested in date nights, for example.

Do you check in with your wife throughout the day?No. For 16 years I did. That only annoys her now as she doesn't feel close to me now.

Are YOU following POJA? If you don't get enthusiastic agreement, what do you do?Not really. I try.

These questions don't require a rehash of 20 year marital history, prior thinking processes, or excuses why the program can't be followed. They require a yes/no and short explanation of your plan. No less, no more.

You are past a critical juncture - if I remember your wife's posts correctly, she's not just checked out, she can barely stand you, and it shows in her behavior towards you and how she views you.

As men, WE have the hardiness to turn it around, bit you no longer have time for excuses and ruminations. You need action NOW, and to start building habits NOW.

Get a notebook. Plan. Write things down.

Solutions are your only goal bow.
AGREED. Thanks

Page 29 of 74 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation