Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 41 of 74 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 73 74
D
D
Originally Posted by SugarCane
The family's unwillingness, over 8 years, to say what is the issue that makes them feel uncomfortable in her home, has left JD2D feeling that the issue is that they do not feel comfortable on her turf, and that is because of her. She finds that insulting, since, as Remark readily admits, she has been nothing but gracious to his family when she HAS travelled to their turf recently, such as on the occasion of his daughter's wedding last year: "You were perfectly gracious last summer for our daughter's wedding, etc. You behave very graciously when we�re in DSM."

If the discomfort with being in her home is not that they don't want to travel, and it is not that JD2D is "ungracious" to them, then JD2D concludes that Remark's family want to have a relationship with him that they cannot have when they visit his home.

[u]Either they want to talk about his wife
and they cannot do that in her own home where she will always be present, but could do that in THEIR various homes where she might not be present for an hour or two, or might not even visit at all, since she has not done so recently...

...or they don't want to be guests in her home because they do not want to accept her hospitality and thank her for taking care of them,

or they feel she makes them feel uncomfortable in her home,

or something else that JD2D has not guessed at,

but whatever it is, it is not acceptable for Remark's family to hint at, or admit to, this "discomfort" which, it is clear, has something to do with Remark's wife. And if Remark does not get an explicit clarification from them on what causes this discomfort, and if he continues to have conversations with them in which they get away with hinting or causing the impression that there is a problem with his wife, and that her attitude is in some way keeping Remark away from his family because they cannot stand visiting her and she won't visit them...

...if he continues by default to support their contention that she, JD2D is an unreasonable woman who is causing the problem, then JD2D will not even bother thinking about this separation as a breathing space, with a path open to reconciliation. JD2D will file for divorce, because yet again, Remark is siding with people who see her as the problem in their marriage - as an unreasonable shrew - and he is waiting for the first opportunity he gets to go back to his family's embrace. This problem has never been resolved, and will never be resolved, because as JD2D sees from Remark's lack of resolve and lack of a firm stance with his family, Remark really DOES blame her for his not seeing as much of his family as he would like, and really can't see why she can't just grow up and let the whole subject drop, of what they said about her being the problem, years ago. (Remember, after she married him and looked after his four children, whom he put first and second third and fourth, and told her to put up with that because he wasn't going to change.)

Exactly.

In the past, Remark's view of his wife and family as opposite ends of a tug of war, him in the middle, allowed him to do the easiest thing for himself. Now, his family has the idea that Remark's wife was against them and didn't encourage family relations, which in fact is FALSE. In the past, Remark neglected to communicate to them JD2D's goodwill toward them, and now, they are left still viewing her as the bad guy. This hurts her, because she DID have good will toward them which has been soured by Remark's actions. Their continued discomfort and unwillingness to visit reflect the fact that they don't see and treat Remark & JD2D as one single unit. And id Remark has secretly disclosed to them about JD2D's plans to separate, that would have been more behavior like the past.

If Remark were to actually see JD2D as a part of himself, then the negative that his family dishes out referencing her, would hurt him. It was HIS job to present a very positive picture of his wife to his family (she is a VERY caring person) and instead, he did the opposite.

The fact that they continue to feel uncomfortable, signals that they are still of some sort of the same opinion, and JD2D is powerless to change what Remark has damaged.

JD2D needs clarification to find out if Remark is still contributing or allowing her to be undermined, or or if it is family's unwillingness to see her in a newer, truer light.

First, she can't feel safe in a marriage if he does not defend her and Second, the point where he has to choose has come, because he can't undo the consequences of his past actions and his family is not willing to change the way that they relate with Remark.

JD2D would need to confirm all of this, but she is so hurt to be put into this situation unfairly and to have it continue. For her to even pop out of her shell to bring it up is a huge act of goodwill. It is something that needs to be solved for her to be open to a future with Remark.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 05/19/15 10:16 AM.
M
M
Zillions of words are being expended here about Remark's family. This is what Prisca and I used to do about my family.

It's really not that complicated. Don't have contact with them until they can be respectful to JustDay2Day. If they can't be respectful, then say "oh well," and build a happy life without them. After a couple years, they may change their minds. Or not. Either way, you are happy. smile

Don't try to fix the rest of your relationships until you've fixed the primary relationship in life: the one with your spouse.

You don't have to expend zillions of words to find out if your wife is enthusiastic about something. If this many words are being expended on it, she is clearly not enthusiastic. Move on to another alternative that doesn't involve your family.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Remark, the issue that JD2D is getting at, in that email, is that your family is badmouthing her, and you are supporting them in doing that.

When they say "uhmmmm....we're just not comfortable visiting your home", they are saying that they don't want to be around your wife on her turf, because in some way she is the cause of their discomfort.

SugarCane's right. This is just what my family tried to do. I'll bet they are a lot like yours, Remark.

We had no contact with my parents for two years, until they apologized. After that for a long time I didn't talk to my parents without Prisca being present to witness everything that was said.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
Originally Posted by markos
Zillions of words are being expended here about Remark's family.
This is my point, really. Why, especially when you two are about to separate, is your family being discussed at all?

Why did we ever discuss them as much as we do, even if you were NOT about to separate?

Why is the issue of your family still an issue at all?

Do not have contact with them - not just until they can be respectful, but until JD2D says that she is enthusiastic about contact.

Until she says that, stop talking TO them, and stop talking ABOUT them, here, and at home.

I realise that JD2D brought them up, by sending that email, but the solution to her complaint was to not have anything more to do with them, until and unless. Do that cheerfully, do that willingly, and do not put pressure on JD2D to relent and "let" you see them.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Hi Remark,

I've been following your thread and have been rooting for you and your marriage.

I wanted to interject with one comment on this family discussion:

Way. Too. Many. Words.

Have you heard the saying that a fish dies by its mouth?

Do you see that in the conversation JD2D kept trying to stick with the point in simple questions and you kept responding with non-answer paragraphs upon paragraphs full of speculations as excuses on many things that you could not possibly even know? Exhausting!

Learning to cut down the verbosity is a process, but one that would serve you well. Most of your love busting throughout that whole conversation were all words that didn't mean anything and didn't need to be said.

There are two other sayings that may be helpful to you, which have also helped me narrow my word stream meaningfully:

"When you have the sale, STOP selling!"

"A wise man remains silent and is thought a fool, but a fool speaks up and removes all doubt."

If you direct your communications with fewer words your wife would likely find them far less exasperating.

I will continue rooting for you. The lengthy insight that JD2D provided as to her thoughts regarding your actions over the course of a day is so very valuable. Do you see how she kept reaching after you? Your effort has been profuse, but you seem to have a mindset that is detached from her.

I pray that you will find the wisdom to lead your marriage back to a strong, integrated and loving foundation.

PS: A separation is not the end of the world. Had my xH separated when I asked him to, we could have dated without the all-day-long lovebusting that he continued to perpetuate until that last straw was not only broken but incinerated. That would have been the ONLY chance to save our marriage. Please give some thought as to how a relationship with JD2D would be if you were separated, but eagerly dating and having 15 hours of fun, lively dates - just like before you were married.

Your relationship would repair FAR faster than slogging along in unintended lovebusters most of the moments you are together, day after day. As of now, she is willing to date you if you are separated; who knows when that will change. There was definitely a point for me that that changed.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Originally Posted by coffeegirl
You can POJA with your wife about whether or not to invite your family to visit but that is the extent of the energy you should spend on the topic.

I think that by writing to your wife that you realize that she has been in the less-comfortable position and you regret that deeply and that you will no longer concern yourself with your family's discomfort you can skip sending any emails to your family and start focusing on your marriage instead.

You should be spending zero time or energy on how your family feels and 100% of your energy on how your wife feels.

I can almost guarantee that if you had expressed that you didn't give a hoot that your family is "uncomfortable" your wife wouldn't need to know exactly how or why they feel the way they do. Seriously, stop talking about your family. I don't think you can do it without screwing up right now. Just focus 100% on your wife.

Yes. I totally agree. And this has been mentioned before on your thread.

I understand that it is your wife who is bringing up the topic. My feeling about it is that because she might be worried that they are insinuating to you that she is the problem.

But the best thing to do about that is to focus on your marriage and ignore the family- especially family who can't figure out how to move forward. Also, it is common for family to give you space while you are working out your problems- especially when there's nothing that they can do to fix them.

I would suggest that you allow your wife to listen on future calls. Any invitations should be replied with I'll need to get back to you on that. Don't ever share your wife's opinion or feelings with your family, just share your joint decisions.

How does that look?

"Thanks for the invitation. We'll have to get back to you on that."
" WE have decided that it won't work out this time."
Really?
"We just won't be able to make that happen this time."

As you learn how to present a united front, she will feel more protected. That is the only compensation that will help her heal from the past damage.

If she really wants a clarification about your inlaws' being "uncomfortable" then you might consider Coffeegirl's simple email approach above. You could offer that as an option. However, having been through the same thing, I would focus on inviting your wife to listen in, learn to stop over-disclosing and learn the key phrases in presenting a united front. The email to clarify might create more drama and some people are avoidant. Others can handle such interactions well. Obviously your family falls into the category of the uncomfortables.

Please email your wife and show her appreciation for giving you the opportunity to discuss this topics and for sharing her feelings. (Did you hear MB radio today?)
Then ask how she would feel about some of these
ideas for handling family relations in the future. State the specific ideas that you would like to suggest.

DidntQuit,

Yes, that all sounds good. The problem is she'll never visit my family anymore, she said. And, she brought all of this up because she knew that would be an issue for me.

Yes, I listened to the MB show yesterday.

She's always welcome to listen on the phone. In fact, I used to insist on that when family called or I called family. (That's how I grew up.)

Thanks,
Remark

M
M
Originally Posted by Remark
The problem is she'll never visit my family anymore, she said.

When she says that, just say "Okay."

S
S

Remark, when did she say that? During the exchange on this subject that you posted?

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
S
S
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes

Remark, when did she say that? During the exchange on this subject that you posted?
It doesn't matter. He should not be drawn into pondering this whole issue. She has says she won't go. That must be the end of the subject.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by AnyWife
...Why would it surprise you that they sense not being comfortable coming down here as much, or calling much based the experience of those years ago?...

Did you literally say/write that to your wife?

I read the whole exchange and I found it very confusing because though you have several guesses, on one hand you keep saying that you don't know why (and they are your siblings). But then you say "why would it surprise you...?" which sounds like you think the reason should be obvious to your wife.

I know people are examining every word you say (to help you) so I don't want to add to your self doubts, but I want to let you know that sentence made me cringe. If I was asking someone "why does someone feel uncomfortable around me" and they said "Why does that surprise you?" I would be 1) crushed that it was not surprising people feel uncomfortable around me and 2) Really irritated that I'm being told it's "surprising" I am confused by it (like I'm an idiot that I don't get their discomfort). I'm sure that's not how you meant it but that is how I would interpret it.

Some of your other musings would have also offended me, though I'm sure you were just trying to be honest, but the "they're affectionate and we're not" would translate in my mind to "you're cold to me and it makes people uncomfortable."

BTW, I too would be very perplexed if they were uncomfortable coming to your home but not having both of you to their home. (If I understand that correctly as part of the situation.) Knowing nothing else I'd would assume they just like being in their own home, which is fine, but really unfair to your wife if she's been willing to leave the comfort of her home to visit them with you, or let you go without her, when they aren't reciprocating.

-----
I'll leave it to the experts to advise you on whether or not to send that email, but to me it seems like maybe TMI about your marital issues. Are you sure your wife is on board with that?

It seems you could just ask them. Maybe something like:

There's something that's been bothering me. You said you're uncomfortable in XYZ situation with us. Can you elaborate? What do you mean by that? What exactly makes you uncomfortable?

Good luck!

Anywife,

Yes, I understand the confusion. Sorry for that. I agree.
Yes, I'm afraid I did actually said that.

What happened years ago was I was way too open with them on our conflicts. They sided with me, alienating my wife. I attempted to 'dress them down' ( rebuke ) them for siding with me without, at least, getting her side of the story.
Well, since she has communicated to me they are not welcome down here, and and she feels uncomfortable around them, it doesn't surprise me that they feel somewhat similar. That's all I meant, but, should not have said.

I really regret all of my involvement that caused this mess.
Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

It doesn't matter. He should not be drawn into pondering this whole issue. She has says she won't go. That must be the end of the subject.

Sugarcane,
I agree with you. I shouldn't think about it, and should not be drawn into conversation on it. It's difficult when it bothers her though, and I don't want to commit an LB when it comes up.

And, if I were to go visit them without her, that certainly would be independent behavior, right? That's part of my confusion.

Thanks,
Remark

M
M
It's difficult when it bothers her though, and I don't want to commit an LB when it comes up.

When she says she doesn't want to go see them, or have them over, or whatever, JUST AGREE WITH HER. It's simple.

And, if I were to go visit them without her, that certainly would be independent behavior, right? That's part of my confusion.

YES. How is this confusing? Don't go. Don't bring them up. Build a happy life with your wife, without them.

S
S
**edit**

Last edited by Denali; 05/19/15 04:06 PM. Reason: TOS

S
S
Didn't we deal with this several weeks ago? Why are you still confused about this?

Tell me what we told you when you last asked that question.

Now tell me what you are still confused about.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
What I was trying to point out is that she NEVER said she wouldn't visit his family again in that exchange at all
She HAS said that, and it has been reported here, both on this thread and on her own. Her position on this is quite clear.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
**edit**

Last edited by Denali; 05/19/15 04:07 PM. Reason: TOS

S
S
**edit**

Last edited by Denali; 05/19/15 04:08 PM. Reason: TOS

S
S
Remark, do you see how JD2D keeps reaching out to you? That whole exchange was her persisting to set a very big issue in your relationship to rest, in a very reasonable and compassionate way.

Just like she was reaching out to you that whole day where she later shared her play-by-play thoughts on the matter.

I hope this perspective helps encourage you to keep trying to reach your goal of an integrated, non-detached relationship with JD2D.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 05/19/15 02:33 PM.

S
S
She keeps coming back to the same unanswered question, time and again, in an apparent spirit of wanting to understand the fix so the in-law relationships can be repaired.
That isn't true, sunny. If you read their respective threads, you can see why I say that.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
**EDIT**

Last edited by Denali; 05/19/15 04:04 PM. Reason: TOS

Page 41 of 74 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 453 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation