Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
S
Originally Posted by lightwalker
DQ and BH no, there has been no Poly as of yet. I did locate one in another city and H said yes, he would gladly do it. After thinking about Dr. H's discussion on polys I decided to wait and see what I learned from RH work first. The info I learned recently from RH reinforces the need to follow the strict EP guidelines.

The EPs and RH discussions have nothing to do with uncovering everything that you need to know from your WH's 6 -year secret online life and affair.

Not only do you need to make sure there weren't other affairs in order to implement appropriate EPs, your H not having revealed this information will keep him FOGGY.

Again this topic was covered on PAGE 1 of the thread, you said you would "look into it" and then you never followed up with us...and instead return talking about the meeting EN's part of the program. Sigh.

Originally Posted by unwritten
I would recommend a polygraph. You already know he trickle truthed you, from finding out about his SSL on the internet, to finding out about this EA. After such a long marriage I myself would wonder what else there is lurking in the shadows.

I would hate for you to put 110% effort into recovery, only to receive another devastating blow a year from now when you feel recovered, by finding out there were more affairs or this was more than an EA.

Get the full truth out NOW. Maybe you already have it, and if so then what have you got to lose? If you don't, rip the bandaid off so you can move forward with your marriage (or not) with full disclosure and RH as the cornerstone.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S

We are still not doing great at UA time though 100% better than the past. I would say it is only 10 hrs per week. My H still feels he doesn't have that kind of time. He does have time for a few other recreational activities though. This is an area we really need to improve for the marriage to improve, I know.

This is UNACCEPTABLE.

LW, you need to raise the bar and start really putting this program into motion starting with all of the items that were just addressed above, exposure, poly and EPs. And if this attitude of your WH continues, I would start to prepare for separation.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Originally Posted by SugarCane
The tabloid thing? He really did that? Who does he think he is that he can swan around, chatting and smiling to women in front to you? Does he think he's Mick Jagger?

This isn't a joke. It's gaslighting masquerading as a joke.

Impossibly cruel.

Nobody is that stupid.
Yes, Indie, I know what you mean--stupid? He's not unintelligent, but sometimes, and I'm serious about this, it seems there is some kind of gap in the Common Sense Dept.

His whole family often wondered about his father too--a smart man in many ways who did the most confounding things at times--things which were quite odd. Seriously, there are some MH problems, which complicate matters, nevertheless, there is no excuse for the behavior. I know I am responsible for setting the bar high as you have rightly stated, but sometimes I am so dumbfounded by it all I'm rendered speechless as well as senseless. Thank goodness for MB and this forum to help get my thinking back on track.

I understand it is my feelings he should be considering no matter what others may think--a major MB concept, but this has always been an issue too; the perspective of others is often taken in and accepted when I have been saying the very same thing but, he doesn't hear me. I will plan to contact Dr. H.

Please do not do this.

Your WH is completely capable of implementing ALL of MB - Extraordinary Care, Protection and Time.

He's just not doing it because he doesn't care enough to. And he's still foggy.

Don't make excuses for him.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
L
OP Offline
L
SusieQ,

Your bluntness is appreciated and needed. I know I am still in a fog of sorts myself. To answer one of your questions, yes, after my first posts I did expose the A to family and friends as I was encouraged by the forum to do. I will go back through your posts to answer your other questions as soon as I can.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by SusieQ
___**__Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).** CLOSED NETWORKING, MAIL AND MESSAGING MONITORED. NO CHANGE IN WORK CELL# OR WORK EMAIL, HIS BOSS NOT INFORMED. DO MONITOR IT DAILY.

You were told on Page 1 that the contact information needed to be changed. You can't "monitor" the phone when you have no access to the records and can't put spyware on it. Again, not sure why this is being ignored ??

From Page 1:
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
And yes, he should change his contact information. Monitoring his email and phone #'s will not solve the problem. I would get that changed in addition to getting spyware on any divice you can.

We know you can't monitor the work phone. What about the spyware on other devices such as the computer in the home? You said you were going to look into it. What happened with that?
SusieQ, To answer your questions,

Yes family and friends were informed about the A.

I will take your advice and will not encourage H to join forum. He has seen no posts. He was willing to join forum, but he does not care to and had expressed preferring to get the assist from the coaching or Dr. H.

H's smart phone, work computer and vehicle are all company owned. It is my understanding it would be illegal to use a VAR or spyware. He owns no other phone, computer or vehicle. He doesn't use my car and we have no home computer other than the tablet I use which he cannot use. He is low tech as am I. He doesn't know what snooping resources I have used, but he does believe that for a price I could find someone to spy electroniclly who could find out most anything.

His contact & email info is unchanged. Ow could access it easily if it were changed from anyone in the company. If anyone knew why his info was changed I really worry she would learn the A was exposed and this would prompt her to contact my H to learn what was up. She is newly married to a wealthy man and may not otherwise want to chance screwing that up. By the time her M goes belly up, I'm hoping we will already be out of here. I'm not really sure about this.

S
S

His contact & email info is unchanged. Ow could access it easily if it were changed from anyone in the company. If anyone knew why his info was changed I really worry she would learn the A was exposed and this would prompt her to contact my H to learn what was up.

You SHOULD BE really worried anyway.

Your H had a 6 yr online affair and you have NO WAY to monitor what he is doing with his work phone and work computer.

You should already be worried.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S

There is no way to verify what he tells you he is up to and there is no transparency so I am really scratching my head at your comments regarding RH being followed now and no need for a poly.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
L
OP Offline
L
There is no way to verify what he tells you he is up to and there is no transparency so I am really scratching my head at your comments regarding RH being followed now and no need for a poly.

SusieQ,
Thank you for sticking with me here. I know how frustrating it must be for all of you veterans to give of yourself--time and knowledge to help and have your advice unheeded. I once vounteered with battered W and would get so frustrated. Sad irony. No physical battery here, but put up with the occasional emotional whopping, and now all this..

Anyway, yes I do think a poly is in order, and would like some advice. Since only a few questions can be asked, what would you advise and how might it be worded. I would ask about any other EAs/or any PA's, any continued SSL.

Prior to the fessing up to some things without threat of a poly I was so disgusted by everything I was able to find out just by my own snooping, I didn't really give much of a sh**t I guess. I'd heard enough to know I didn't love him and couldn't ever trust him, but for financial reasons wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

I've seen enough change in LB behavior and meeting EN's, all relative of course, that I'm beginning to think there might be a possibility he could learn if he is really believing in Dr H's methods. He has been the push behind doing MB work now rather than me. So maybe there is hope. I'm just not sure how the MH issues play into all of it. That can add a whole new dimension of complications.

S
S

SusieQ,
Thank you for sticking with me here. I know how frustrating it must be for all of you veterans to give of yourself--time and knowledge to help and have your advice unheeded. I once vounteered with battered W and would get so frustrated. Sad irony. No physical battery here, but put up with the occasional emotional whopping, and now all this..

Anyway, yes I do think a poly is in order, and would like some advice. Since only a few questions can be asked, what would you advise and how might it be worded. I would ask about any other EAs/or any PA's, any continued SSL.

Prior to the fessing up to some things without threat of a poly I was so disgusted by everything I was able to find out just by my own snooping, I didn't really give much of a sh**t I guess. I'd heard enough to know I didn't love him and couldn't ever trust him, but for financial reasons wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

I've seen enough change in LB behavior and meeting EN's, all relative of course, that I'm beginning to think there might be a possibility he could learn if he is really believing in Dr H's methods. He has been the push behind doing MB work now rather than me. So maybe there is hope. I'm just not sure how the MH issues play into all of it. That can add a whole new dimension of complications.
What kind of mental health issues do you mean, lightwalker?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
[H's smart phone, work computer and vehicle are all company owned. It is my understanding it would be illegal to use a VAR or spyware. He owns no other phone, computer or vehicle.

lightwalker, the risk of him having an affair and hiding it on these devices is much greater than the risk of ever getting caught spying. This is how people hide affairs and it is a huge looming risk in your life. I would rethink your position on this and employ some spy techniques. I am in the same position as you and I do have spyware on some of his devices, but I also have daily access to his email via webmail. Almost all companies have this ability. All of his incoming desk calls register as an incoming email so I see absolutely everything.

If you can't manage to monitor everything, then something needs to change because you are not safe as it is.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
SugarCane,

H has chronic depression, anxiety and OCD. All are being treated and have been for many years. We think his father may have been bi-polar though never formally diagnosed. My H may be somewhere on that spectrum perhaps. He's been treated by several different psychs over the years and none have ever diagnosed that. It's the impulsive behaviors that he exhibits sometimes that are a problem. He's a hard one to figure out. He's worked for the same Co. for over 30 yrs and his boss recently said he is the most unique person he has ever met. There are some outstanding positives, but it is the unpredictable quality about him which is difficult.

L
OP Offline
L
[H's smart phone, work computer and vehicle are all company owned. It is my understanding it would be illegal to use a VAR or spyware. He owns no other phone, computer or vehicle.

lightwalker, the risk of him having an affair and hiding it on these devices is much greater than the risk of ever getting caught spying. This is how people hide affairs and it is a huge looming risk in your life. I would rethink your position on this and employ some spy techniques. I am in the same position as you and I do have spyware on some of his devices, but I also have daily access to his email via webmail. Almost all companies have this ability. All of his incoming desk calls register as an incoming email so I see absolutely everything.

If you can't manage to monitor everything, then something needs to change because you are not safe as it is.

Hi MelodyLane,

Yes, I know what you are saying. If I decide to become emotionally and physically invested in this marriage again I need to protect myself. I have tried the webmail with no luck so I gave up. I am so inept when it comes to this tech stuff, I never know If it is just me doing it wrong. I'm afraid I will really foul it up due to my bumbling with it and be detected right off the bat. But I will reconsider, and will try to figure out the webmail again. If I'm not able to snoop adequately, I mean how often would I have to get a poly ever to really feel safe; that's my problem. Thank you for your response, ML.

M
M
[Hi MelodyLane,

Yes, I know what you are saying. If I decide to become emotionally and physically invested in this marriage again I need to protect myself. I have tried the webmail with no luck so I gave up. I am so inept when it comes to this tech stuff, I never know If it is just me doing it wrong. I'm afraid I will really foul it up due to my bumbling with it and be detected right off the bat. But I will reconsider, and will try to figure out the webmail again. If I'm not able to snoop adequately, I mean how often would I have to get a poly ever to really feel safe; that's my problem. Thank you for your response, ML.

lightwalker, I am surprised to read your comments here. I was under the impression that recovery was the goal here? If you are not invested, then that is the opposite of recovery. The steps for recovery are: a) the marriage is affair proofed and b) a romantic relationship is created. There is no plan for either of those goals.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.
Requirements for Recovery

I think the rest of the posters are under the impression that you wanted to recover your marriage. Is this not the case?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L

lightwalker, I am surprised to read your comments here. I was under the impression that recovery was the goal here? If you are not invested, then that is the opposite of recovery. The steps for recovery are: a) the marriage is affair proofed and b) a romantic relationship is created. There is no plan for either of those goals.

The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I think the rest of the posters are under the impression that you wanted to recover your marriage. Is this not the case?

Yes, ML I do want to recover my M. My H is my family(40 yrs of relationship now) I care very much about him, and the alternatives I consider at this point in life are not so great. I've continued to read MB and have improved in eliminating LB's and meeting ENs. But I'm weary and as I've said sometimes I question my H's capacity for change due to the MH issues I have mentioned, esp the impulse control problems. It really is hard to know what is what. Sometimes these things can worsen due to age and medical issues also.

I want to believe change is really possible, and I absolutely believe in MB concepts under normal circumstances. But some things, just like with serial cheaters, maybe the MH problems will prevent recovery. I just don't know. I waiver. Those "slip ups" I mentioned have made me reconsider it all. That's the reason I think we really need to get the help from the coaching or Dr. Harley to help sort it all out at this point. I'm trying to get my second wind and haven't given up.

B
B
lightwalker,

What EPs has your WH put in place? Do you tell him you still don't feel safe in your marriage?

Are you involved in his MH regimen? Do you go with him to his appointments?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S

Yes, ML I do want to recover my M. My H is my family(40 yrs of relationship now) I care very much about him, and the alternatives I consider at this point in life are not so great. I've continued to read MB and have improved in eliminating LB's and meeting ENs. But I'm weary and as I've said sometimes I question my H's capacity for change due to the MH issues I have mentioned, esp the impulse control problems. It really is hard to know what is what. Sometimes these things can worsen due to age and medical issues also.

I want to believe change is really possible, and I absolutely believe in MB concepts under normal circumstances. But some things, just like with serial cheaters, maybe the MH problems will prevent recovery. I just don't know. I waiver. Those "slip ups" I mentioned have made me reconsider it all. That's the reason I think we really need to get the help from the coaching or Dr. Harley to help sort it all out at this point. I'm trying to get my second wind and haven't given up.

Mental health issues are no reason to not affair proof your marriage, LW.

Dr Harley has addressed Impulse control issue when speaking about serial cheaters and in other instances on his radio show. I have personally spoken to him about this when we talked about my ex WH.

If your H cannot control himself because of impulse control or MH issues then he probably shouldn't work outside of the home and shouldn't have access to internet/email and cell phone unless he is accountable for everything - aka spyware and you can look at the records.

The answer isn't to sweep it under the rug and allow him to keep doing what he was doing before.

On another show with a caller who had impulse control issues, Dr Harley emphasized the need to her to follow POJA and to eliminate all IB and basically not do anything without the enthusiastic agreement of her BH. There was no different "plan" for her to deviate from MB because of it, and nor should there be for your H.

Your WH can hold down a job and drive a car, venture out into public without fear of being arrest, etc, right?? There is no reason that he cannot implement MB. The problem is that he is wayward and he is being enabled. Not MH or impulse or bipolar issues. That is an excuse.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
But some things, just like with serial cheaters, maybe the MH problems will prevent recovery.

Who told you that "serial cheater" will "prevent recovery"?? Where are you getting this stuff from?

The solution is to implement MORE EPs, not ignore that part of the program, LW.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
If I'm not able to snoop adequately, I mean how often would I have to get a poly ever to really feel safe; that's my problem.

If you cannot snoop adequately because of his job, then he should retire early or change his job, LW. That is the answer, not just ignore that part of recovery.

Nobody told you that you should do frequent constant polys in lieu of snooping. I am not sure where you got that idea. It is to make sure that you know everything you need to know about any other affairs so that you can implement appropriate EPs and other reasons that have already been posted to you or that you would have read about in the FR thread.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M

If you truly are interested in recovery, and honestly I don't see that you are, I would strongly suggest you sign up for the MB program #3. That way, you will be assigned a coach who will help you do the program. If your husband will not do the steps then Dr Harley will push him.

But I don't see that you are really serious yourself. I see you doing a little dibbling and dabbling and that is all a waste of your time. The program has to be done in its entirety and you will avail nothing with this piece meal approach.

We have many, many people in the MB program who have personality defects and Dr Harley helps them through. Your H is certainly better off than many I have seen. We have husbands with Aspergers and ADD who are thriving on the program.

But you have to take it seriously before he will.

[quote]But some things, just like with serial cheaters, maybe the MH problems will prevent recovery. I just don't know. I waiver. [/qote]

We have many many serial cheaters who have recovered. And most people in the program have "mental health" issues. The only issue I see here is your willingness to do the program.

I would advise you to do this before you run out of steam. There is no reason your marriage can't recover. You just have to get serious..

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation