Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 74 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 73 74
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Originally Posted by Remark

There has to be a godly solution to this without committing more LBs!
Remark
Remark-
The way you stated that could be interpreted as very disrespectful. It is not clear if you are referring to your own lovebusters or your wife's. It is not clear if you are lecturing her about being ungodly or throwing your hands up as a martyr saying that �only God� could save this. Either thing would be disrespectful, and you need to stop talking in passive voice because it can appear to be a way to hide your disrespectful judgments.

Here is just an quick sample of an alternative idea:

�I am sorry that I didn't take care of my wife like I should have and like she needed. I can see now why she is hurting. I pray to God that I can learn to stop my bad habits and show my wife that I do love her and care about her with my words AND actions. It is NOT the money which is motivating me, otherwise I would be in court fighting. I Want to care for Day in the way that she can feel loved and protected above all else. I AM CHANGING.�

Can you see the difference? I do believe that you want to do this.

Didnt,

I absolutely meant no disrespect to her for sure! I realize my failings. I meant that the H program saves marriages every day, and I just pray for it to work for us somehow. Divine intervention is always welcome, but I wasn't poking disrespect at her.

I feel like anything I do is an LB these days.

Yes, I see the difference. Once again, you articulate more eloquently, but that's exactly what I meant, and without any disrespect anywhere, except to myself, my LBs, my failings to Day over the years.

I AM changing.

Thanks,
Remark

D
D
I feel like anything I do is an LB these days.

Thanks,
Remark

Yes. Get used to it as long as you guys continue to verbally rehash instead of writing things. Get used to it as long as she is not in love with you and just wants this conflict to end. Get used to it until you both eliminate your annoying communication habits and lovebusters. Get used to it until you start spending time being PLEASANT and STOPPING when it is UNPLEASANT for either of you.

S
S
THIS:

From JD2D,
"MY recollection from our detailed discussions of the boat is that we were going to split possession of the boat and van, that you'd store the boat and jackets and skis and everything that went with it, and I would keep the van. Then, we could go on boating "dates," and I would show up with the friends you like to invite along with my cooler of food to share and a towel, then at the end of the day say thanks and give you $20 for gas and go our separate ways. YOU would have the sole burden of the related work, expense, and inventory/storage, and I would get to enjoy the day responsibility-free, like you offer to our friends. We discussed how Jake is just finally getting into skiing and boarding and I didn't want him to miss out on the opportunities that your kids had. You mentioned that you wanted to take your older son when he was in town this summer, even suggested that he might want to buy it from us when he moves back to town. You've commented that you don't know what you're going to do with yourself on the weekends, and my response has been that you can go boating every other weekend now, like we used to do. These all require HAVING a boat. "

Back to the boat, as logical as that sounds, I don't see it as particularly viable to keep a boat I'll use once or twice a year. It still seems like IB to me, if she is not coming along. And, I don't believe I can store it without incurring significant expense. It fits in our present garage. I certainly can't afford to pay for storage. Understand, I'll not have a lick of furniture, or appliances, or anything else. So, I'm trying to 'mature' and focus on life's necessities rather than live for softball and boating as she keeps making references to. As a practical matter, it costs well over $100/day in gas boat to get it to a lake, then boat, and then haul it home. It's just a luxury I don't see viable for a single man my age, who really should focus on retirement income, not to mention furnish his new environment.
Also, the adult son, who made reference a couple of years ago to purchasing the boat, told me Saturday, to sell the boat. And, for the record, we never went boating "every other weekend".

TRANSLATED:

Originally Posted by JD2D's email
.....that you'd store the boat and jackets and skis and everything that went with it, and I would keep the van. Then, we could go on boating "dates," and I would show up with the friends you like to invite along with my cooler of food to share and a towel, then at the end of the day say thanks and give you $20 for gas and go our separate ways. YOU would have the sole burden of the related work, expense, and inventory/storage, and I would get to enjoy the day responsibility-free, like you offer to our friends. We discussed how Jake is just finally getting into skiing and boarding and I didn't want him to miss out on the opportunities that your kids had......

Originally Posted by how_Remark_responds_paraphrased
Well, JD2D, I am not going to date you in this manner so I'll ignore that you reached out to me to give that suggestion of how you want to spend time with me and instead educate you on how viable it is to keep a boat I'll use 1x or 2x per year.....if you can do that math, 1x or 2x per year clearly means NO BOAT DATES FOR YOU!!! I do have to focus on life's necessities you know, like FURNITURE and DECOR in my new environment! Plus my adult son just told me to sell the boat - who cares about your point regarding Jake getting the benefit of it; I will ignore you on that too.

I'm not going to admit that I don't want to date you; I'll just avoid you altogether and secretly sell the boat behind your back. Yahoooo...... no, I won't be stuck on a boat with you; no ma'am!

So let me just twist the knife a little more and educate you a little bit - totally not the point of your email but I can't resist - and, for the record, we never went boating "every other weekend"(so there!).

Originally Posted by what_JD2D_was_inviting_Remark_to_say
JD2D, I would love to spend time on the boat with you. If you get the gas, I'll bring the wine and we can spend some very relaxing time together. Remember when we always used to [fill in the blank]?"

Remark, you have to pursue your wife. Women need to be pursued in order to fall for a man.

Avoiding her will not restore your marriage.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 05/26/15 05:03 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Didnt,

I understand. No rehashing.

Mr. Pleasant,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sunny,

I see your points. My arms are down, (no defensiveness or rebuttal arguing.)

Coming around,
Remark

D
D
Sunny,

Coming around,
Remark

That was not her only or main point. What was the key point?

Last edited by DidntQuit; 05/27/15 12:57 AM.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sunny,

Coming around,
Remark

That was not her only or main point. What was the key point?

Didnt, Sunny,

Key point is that I see everything still through my paradigm, my "translation" rather than hers; (my judgement, ignoring her suggestion of how we might spend pleasant time together, etc.) She wants to be pursued, not ignored.

Thanks,
Remark

Remark

S
S
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
At one point, I began tracking your complaints and over a short period of time compiled a list of 47 character flaws � not complaints about what I �do� but about what I �am.�

Remark, there are two ways to resolve a conflict: win it or resolve it.

Here your method is to win it at all costs, and escalate the destruction of the other person until they stop talking.

That a) doesn't solve the problem, b) creates a new one, c) leaves JD2D feeling disdained and despised and d) is not good for JD2D's health. You win alright - you get your way and she stops talking - but she quadruple loses and her love for you is destroyed.

Why not resolve it instead? Using POJA, you are both happy and the conflict is over with no remaining problems.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
At one point, I began tracking your complaints and over a short period of time compiled a list of 47 character flaws � not complaints about what I �do� but about what I �am.�

Remark, there are two ways to resolve a conflict: win it or resolve it.

Here your method is to win it at all costs, and escalate the destruction of the other person until they stop talking.

That a) doesn't solve the problem, b) creates a new one, c) leaves JD2D feeling disdained and despised and d) is not good for JD2D's health. You win alright - you get your way and she stops talking - but she quadruple loses and her love for you is destroyed.

Why not resolve it instead? Using POJA, you are both happy and the conflict is over with no remaining problems.

Sunny,

That makes perfect sense. Resolution makes infinitely more sense than winning - temporarily.

I'll manage my complaints better. (I know complaints are healthy. Dr H encourages them, but not criticism.)

Thanks,
Remark

S
S
(I know complaints are healthy. Dr H encourages them, but not criticism.)

Yes, but not an overwhelming number of them (47?!) and Dr. Harley describes a specific method to deliver them without LBing:

"That bothers me."

Not "Your disregard of xxxx bothers me" as that would be inserting DJs into the complaing.

Simply "That bothers me."

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Yes, but not an overwhelming number of them (47?!) and Dr. Harley describes a specific method to deliver them without LBing:

"That bothers me."

Not "Your disregard of xxxx bothers me" as that would be inserting DJs into the complaing.

Sunny,

I understand. If I have anything to say, it will come out that way, "It bothers me when....". But, I'm not in a position to do that even. I'm pretty quiet these days with regard to complaining.

Thanks,
Remark

S
S
Remark, silence is a golden technique in resolving problems.

Simply say "That bothers me" and wait.

Most people can't stand a pause in a discussion, particularly not an extended pause, so they start filling in the pause with meaningless verbosity. In business negotiating, we learn to never do this because it just clouds up your deal and some of the extraneous words could very well lose it.

Let her have the pause; let her figure out how she'd like to reply because HER reply will help you resolve your problems, and your pause filler words could very well make it much worse.

S
S

"That bothers me."

Sunny,

I understand. If I have anything to say, it will come out that way, "It bothers me when....". But, I'm not in a position to do that even. I'm pretty quiet these days with regard to complaining.

Thanks,
Remark

And at the moment that is the wisest course of action while you are pursuing your wife.

However, given the conversations between you and your wife that are being reported, it appears a great deal of problem solving is still being attempted. I wanted to give you these techniques so in the event JD2D brings up problems she wants resolved, you have a purposeful technique to cut down the words so the problem can be productively resolved, or at least tabled without causing further lovebusting.

S
S
I understand. If I have anything to say, it will come out that way, "It bothers me when....".

No Remark.

"That bothers me." - Only.

Otherwise you will end up with "It bothers me when ...[DJ!]"

Don't characterize what she did. Just say "that" bothers me.

D
D

Sunny,

That makes perfect sense. Resolution makes infinitely more sense than winning - temporarily.

I'll manage my complaints better. (I know complaints are healthy. Dr H encourages them, but not criticism.)

Thanks,
Remark

Even if there were 47 bothersome behaviors, Dr. Harley says you should only focus on 2 or 3 from the top of the list. And ideally they are written on a form exchanged weekly.

It bothers me when you ......
(Fill in the blank with a BEHAVIOR , not a "way of being".)

HOWEVER:

YOU are not in a position to complain right now.

Complaints are healthy in a good marriage, but they still withdraw love units. You cannot afford those withdrawals!!

FOCUS ON:

1. ENJOYABLE UA time. Be pleasant, but yes you PURSUE her.

2. Meet wife's emotional needs that she will allow you to meet IN A WAY that she can appreciate.

3. Keep listening to Radio shows under the topic of Openness and Honesty, DJs, and POJA. Focus on YOUR OWN lovebusters.

4. VERY IMPORTANT: Your wife receives 0 admiration from you. You have to think of a way to point out how attractive her appearance and personality can be to you. She feels horrible when she's around you. That is YOUR problem to solve and a main reason for you to stop educating her forever and stop complaining until further notice.

Are you willing to print this list out and every day do something in each area?

D
D

Sunny- we are giving conflicting advice here with phrasing. And you make some good points.

There are times when it is necessary to say,

It bothers me when you leave your glass on the counter.

It bothers me when you leave your socks on the floor.

However-
We all agree that Remark should stop complaining and start admiring and pursuing his wife.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 05/27/15 08:46 AM.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sunny,

Thanks,
Remark

Even if there were 47 bothersome behaviors, Dr. Harley says you should only focus on 2 or 3 from the top of the list. And ideally they are written on a form exchanged weekly.

It bothers me when you ......
(Fill in the blank with a BEHAVIOR , not a "way of being".)

HOWEVER:

YOU are not in a position to complain right now.

Complaints are healthy in a good marriage, but they still withdraw love units. You cannot afford those withdrawals!!

FOCUS ON:

1. ENJOYABLE UA time. Be pleasant, but yes you PURSUE her.

2. Meet wife's emotional needs that she will allow you to meet IN A WAY that she can appreciate.

3. Keep listening to Radio shows under the topic of Openness and Honesty, DJs, and POJA. Focus on YOUR OWN lovebusters.

4. VERY IMPORTANT: Your wife receives 0 admiration from you. You have to think of a way to point out how attractive her appearance and personality can be to you. She feels horrible when she's around you. That is YOUR problem to solve and a main reason for you to stop educating her forever and stop complaining until further notice.

Are you willing to print this list out and every day do something in each area?

DQ, Sunny,

Absolutely, yes, I will print this list and follow it.

I do admire her and compliment her. She is a beautiful woman! It's not received from me of late.

And, I get the subtle difference between "It bothers me..." and "It bothers me when ....". I don't do/say much of that anyway. The list of 47 is something she has compiled over years of conflicts. I couldn't list 47 of anything if I had to.

Thanks,
Remark

I
I
Remark, why do you want this marriage? What do you get out of it?

How would you like your wife to feel in this marriage?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Remark, why do you want this marriage? What do you get out of it?

How would you like your wife to feel in this marriage?
Indiegirl,

My answer to both of those questions is the same...I want for her exactly the same as I�d like for myself. Someone who loves, values and appreciates his/her partner. A best friend, confidant, affectionate lover. Someone who loves them despite their �warts� (imperfections). Someone to share life with and look forward to coming home to and spending time, spending the rest of their life, with.

Thanks,
Remark

S
S
Sunny- we are giving conflicting advice here with phrasing. And you make some good points.

There are times when it is necessary to say,

It bothers me when you leave your glass on the counter.

It bothers me when you leave your socks on the floor.

However-
We all agree that Remark should stop complaining and start admiring and pursuing his wife.

In my estimation, Remark has not developed the skill set to put a "when you..." to his complaint at this time.

Further, if he does, JD2D will perceive it as a DJ because she has been worn down.

He and she have both commented that right now almost EVERYTHING is a lovebuster.

Markos had given similar advice to a previous poster, and when Markos did, it really clicked with me because I was JD2D once - completely worn down to the nub and vulnerable after being despised for so long. (And I would define 47 character/personality accusations as despising.)

In that condition, everything criticism or hint of criticism hurts.

So, at this time, for JD2D's sake, I'd recommend following the "that" bothers me (silence) template if anything is said.

And, it is worth a discussion as to whether he should be making any complaints right now......however, he seems to still be doing so, so at least having a technique that will resolve things instead of exacerbate them may be helpful.

Page 49 of 74 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 439 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation