Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 74 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 73 74
S
S
Originally Posted by Remark
The list of 47 is something she has compiled over years of conflicts.

No, Remark, not true. Your recollection is very whitewashed compared to JD2D's.

That is why extra verbalization from you on conflicts is not safe right now.

Here is JD2D's verbatim comment:

Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
At one point, I began tracking your complaints and over a short period of time compiled a list of 47 character flaws � not complaints about what I �do� but about what I �am.�
[color:#000099][/color]

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
I
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Remark, why do you want this marriage? What do you get out of it?

How would you like your wife to feel in this marriage?
Indiegirl,

My answer to both of those questions is the same...I want for her exactly the same as I�d like for myself. Someone who loves, values and appreciates his/her partner. A best friend, confidant, affectionate lover. Someone who loves them despite their �warts� (imperfections). Someone to share life with and look forward to coming home to and spending time, spending the rest of their life, with.

Thanks,
Remark

Oh dear.

Let's break this down.

My answer to both of those questions is the same...I want for her exactly the same as I�d like for myself.

Your wife isn't you and isn't going to want the same things you do, so I would toss out that concept right away. She has her own perspective and you need to look for it and listen closely to it. Obviously giving her (a woman) the same things you (a man) want is never going to work.... It's the main reason most marriages fail.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. What do you think SHE might like to see in your future marriage?

So I' going to dismiss your answers as applying to her and look at how they apply to you.

Someone who loves, values and appreciates his/her partner.

This is effect, not cause. Your actions will automatically create this response in her. It still doesn't really tell me what you find particularly special and appealing about her individually and why you want to be married to her.

I don't think you realised that the complaints you gave her were so recent and so close together. It's telling that I couldn't get a compliment from you here - you're looking too closely at the problems.

. Someone to share life with and look forward to coming home to and spending time, spending the rest of their life, with.

These are great goals for marriage. But what is it specifically about JD2D and marriage to JD2D that you wouldn't like to lose?

I don't mean the result of getting time with her - why do you want time with her? What's so great about her?

She's absolutely crying out for some validation from you here. Make her feel important!

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I

. Someone to share life with and look forward to coming home to and spending time, spending the rest of their life, with.

Couldn't 'someone' be anyone?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

D
D
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Sunny- we are giving conflicting advice here with phrasing. And you make some good points.

There are times when it is necessary to say,

It bothers me when you leave your glass on the counter.

It bothers me when you leave your socks on the floor.

However-
We all agree that Remark should stop complaining and start admiring and pursuing his wife.

In my estimation, Remark has not developed the skill set to put a "when you..." to his complaint at this time.

Further, if he does, JD2D will perceive it as a DJ because she has been worn down.

He and she have both commented that right now almost EVERYTHING is a lovebuster.

Markos had given similar advice to a previous poster, and when Markos did, it really clicked with me because I was JD2D once - completely worn down to the nub and vulnerable after being despised for so long. (And I would define 47 character/personality accusations as despising.)

In that condition, everything criticism or hint of criticism hurts.

So, at this time, for JD2D's sake, I'd recommend following the "that" bothers me (silence) template if anything is said.

And, it is worth a discussion as to whether he should be making any complaints right now......however, he seems to still be doing so, so at least having a technique that will resolve things instead of exacerbate them may be helpful.

Maybe we cross-posted, but really, there is no discussion needed about whether or not he should be making complaints right now.

He should not be complaining at this point.

Arguing about "how" he should complain when he shouldn't be complaining is a needless distraction which and confusing to a binary thinker.

Sunny- Many of us have been in her shoes. But not as many have gone through the program of recovery.

I started a thread at one point, called "It's not what you say but how you say it." or something like that. Maybe you can post this tip there? It would be a helpful addition to that thread.

Can you keep helping Remark learn how to personally admire and pursue his wife? (That would be awesome!!)

Last edited by DidntQuit; 05/27/15 01:08 PM.
D
D
And Sunny-

I am not saying that Marcos' suggestion wasn't good.

I am not saying that your suggestions are not good.

What I will say is that "when" it's time for Remark to complain, it would be best if DAY tells him the response that works for HER.

Just because we have walked in Her shoes does not make us HER. We can validate her all day long, but it is NOT a substitution for her. Remark needs to listen up & learn about DAY- Her likes, dislikes, pet peeves, interests and adjust to HER preferences. Essentially, what works for HER. Right now, he needs to learn to STOP his impulse to whine and complain to her.

S
S
..... it would be best if DAY tells him the response that works for HER.

He is here because this is not working for him or for her.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 05/27/15 01:41 PM. Reason: narrowing down the portion of the quote

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The list of 47 is something she has compiled over years of conflicts.

No, Remark, not true. Your recollection is very whitewashed compared to JD2D's.

That is why extra verbalization from you on conflicts is not safe right now.

Here is JD2D's verbatim comment:

Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
At one point, I began tracking your complaints and over a short period of time compiled a list of 47 character flaws � not complaints about what I �do� but about what I �am.�
[color:#000099][/color]

Yes, OK, I know. And that list makes you all think I despise her. That is NOT how I feel.

Thanks,
Remark

M
M
I'm not sure where the idea comes from that Remark shouldn't complain. Even when a wife is not on board with Marriage Builders the husband should be honest with her about the effect her behavior has on him:

"I liked it when you ..." (admiration)

"I'd like it if you ..."
"It bothers me when you ..."

And then he should move on. She doesn't want to hear it and will try to start a fight with him and he should move on quickly.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I'm at a loss as well as to why Remark is being told to stop complaining. I have never heard Dr. Harley tell anybody to stop the complaints, even for a man who is trying to win his wife back.

Markos complained A LOT when he was trying to win me back. It's part of the program.

Not complaining = unconditional love, which is not Marriage Builders.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
In my estimation, Remark has not developed the skill set to put a "when you..." to his complaint at this time.
"It bothers me when you ..." Is the standard Marriage Builders complaint. It doesn't take a special skill set to use.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
"It bothers me when you ..." Is the standard Marriage Builders complaint. It doesn't take a special skill set to use.

And then you move on. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S

Other than his explanations lovebust and exasperate her.

The email exchange about why his family is uncomfortable with her illustrated that he does not have the skill set to explain things concisely at this time. His lack of precision in his explanations is driving his wife nuts.

I suggest that what Markos advised the other poster is a better place for him to start. "That bothers me." (silence).

M
M

Other than his explanations lovebust and exasperate her.

Nobody is proposing that he love bust her. Complaints are a love bank withdrawal, but not a love buster.

The email exchange about why his family is uncomfortable with her illustrated that he does not have the skill set to explain things concisely at this time.

The skillset is easy in one sense: "it bothers me when you ..."

I suggest that what Markos advised the other poster is a better place for him to start. "That bothers me." (silence).

Rather than silence, I would encourage moving on to something positive. If she won't put up with that and insists on fighting, then rather than silence I'd go be alone for a short time.

P
P
Well of course he shouldn't lovebust her. However, "It bothers me when ..." is not a lovebuster. She won't like it, but it's part of the program.

When he says "It bothers me when ..." followed by a DJ, the problem is not the "It bothers me when ..." The problem is the DJ.

You are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
S
...... that list makes you all think I despise her. That is NOT how I feel.

WE do not think you despise her. We think you are very undisciplined in your impulsive thoughts and too quick to verbalize them.

She does feel disdained (understandably), and you need to set the record straight by showing her with your words and behaviors how much you care about her, and use better thought/word discipline in the future. You want this to become a distant, forgotten memory replaced by many beautiful memories affirming how much you treasure her.

I encountered a tall challenge of training my mother for a deadline driven job with intensive use of various software applications. However, she had no experience and I literally had to show her how to turn a computer on. She was a 63 year old farm wife; had never had a job using computers at all. When we were in deadlines and my instinct was to lash out (or scream) when I had to describe something for the sixth time I maintained a VERY strict filter in light of all of the years of frustration and effort she had to put forward for ME when she was changing my diapers and raising me....how ungrateful for me to get frustrated because it was taking a few extra explanations. She ended up being the most fantastic person you could ever get for that job (I KNEW she would be after she was trained) and highly experience administrators at our headquarters always HATED to hear my mom was going on vacation because they dreaded trying to fill in for her. I was able to keep my filter intact for the 6 months of training and we worked together as the BEST of friends thereafter.

Remark, you need to give yourself a very strict filter too. "Would this make my wife feel special?" "Would saying this build up my wife's love for me?"

S
S
Well of course he shouldn't lovebust her. However, "It bothers me when ..." is not a lovebuster. She won't like it, but it's part of the program.

When he says "It bothers me when ..." followed by a DJ, the problem is not the "It bothers me when ..." The problem is the DJ.

You are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Well, seeing these angles being dissected is hopefully benefiting Remark. I think it has been a good discussion.

Didn't Quit summarized Remark's communication LBs well on a post on JD2D's page:

Remark�s written language is still riddled with LB. He doesn�t recognize his LB or he wouldn�t put them in writing at this point, would he? "

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 05/27/15 04:30 PM.

D
D
Marcos and Prisca-

Originally Posted by markos
I'm not sure where the idea comes from that Remark shouldn't complain.

AND

I'm at a loss as well as to why Remark is being told to stop complaining. I have never heard Dr. Harley tell anybody to stop the complaints, even for a man who is trying to win his wife back.
Markos complained A LOT when he was trying to win me back. It's part of the program.

I understand that complaining is part of the program. My personal experience has been slightly different from yours.

You've now heard of someone who was asked to temporarily stop complaining. smile My husband was not able to tolerate complaints without his lovebank being emptied completely. I won't go into the details, but yes, the temporary solution was for me to stop complaining to give time for my husband's love bank to fill up. And we were actually having UA time.

The reason I thought that it might help for Remark to stop complaining temporarily is to focus on following POJA and making deposits. Day has an Empty lovebank. Not looking good for letting Remark fill it at this point. Thinking that her bank can't handle even small withdrawals right now.

Having said that, I can see how you would consider this a deviation from the program. I am happy to withdraw that suggestion, and defer to you guys.

P
P
Well, seeing these angles being dissected is hopefully benefiting Remark. I think it has been a good discussion.
Probably not, really. Discussing the nuances of the word "when" when he needs to be focusing on lovebusters is distracting.

Last edited by Prisca; 05/27/15 07:22 PM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Marcos and Prisca-

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that Remark shouldn't complain.

AND

I understand that complaining is part of the program. My personal experience has been slightly different from yours.

You've now heard of someone who was asked to temporarily stop complaining. smile My husband was not able to tolerate complaints without his lovebank being emptied completely. I won't go into the details, but yes, the temporary solution was for me to stop complaining to give time for my husband's love bank to fill up. And we were actually having UA time.

The reason I thought that it might help for Remark to stop complaining temporarily is to focus on following POJA and making deposits. Day has an Empty lovebank. Not looking good for letting Remark fill it at this point. Thinking that her bank can't handle even small withdrawals right now.

Having said that, I can see how you would consider this a deviation from the program. I am happy to withdraw that suggestion, and defer to you guys.

I can see how that worked in your situation. But, it is a deviation from the program, and being as such, Remark should only stop complaining if he is advised to by Dr. Harley.

Markos and I also deviated from the program a time or two. But, like you, it was with the guidance of Dr. Harley. We would also never recommend the deviations we took to another couple -- the risk is too great that it will fail for them.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

D
D
Even when a wife is not on board with Marriage Builders the husband should be honest with her about the effect her behavior has on him:

"I liked it when you ..." (admiration)

"I'd like it if you ..."
"It bothers me when you ..."

And then he should move on. She doesn't want to hear it and will try to start a fight with him and he should move on quickly.

Remark-

I hope that you can learn to follow the advice above, when sharing your honest feelings with your wife.

Page 50 of 74 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 441 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation