Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 53 of 74 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 73 74
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by markos
For heaven's sake, why are we still talking about Remark seeing his family? That is a complete distraction and shouldn't even come up any more.

Remark, you're not going to see your family, right? That being the case, please don't continue to talk to people here about it. You need to get focused.

Markos,

Well, my family was the extended family 6 hours away. So, no, I wasn't planning on seeing them, as difficult as that will be.

Now, family as defined by my immediate children.......three of my kids that live in town, two live out of town, one in Australia and they all are going to be in town for Father's Day weekend for a wedding on the other side of their family and want to do what we have done for 30 years, get together on Father's Day. They are not on the list of 'family' that W is uncomfortable with I didn't think. But, due to the pending separation, W doesn't want to do anything with us.

So, that is why I asked the question raising the 'family' issue once again.

Context is everything.

Thanks,
Remark

M
M
I would skip doing what you have done for 30 years and find something to do that your wife enjoys.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
So, no, I wasn't planning on seeing them, as difficult as that will be.
Stop saying things like that. "As difficult as that will be" will always come off as disrespectful. It's a jab.

Do you want to be married or not? If you do, then set your priorities and put her first. Don't talk about how difficult it is to put her first.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Don't make noise about how difficult this is. That's like telling her "you're not worth it."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
I
I
Originally Posted by Remark
[color:#CC0000]
DidntQuit,

I am a considerate person. It just didn't occur to me, for example, that it would be an issue to lend a friend a life jacket, that we haven't used in years. It never occurred to me that it would be considered inconsiderate not to ask W.
]

Remark, that can happen, especially when you are beginning to PoJA. Dr H once gave away some books Joyce wanted to keep.

The crucial thing is how do you react, when it IS pointed out? Defensive and talking about why you didn't think, or are you glad to hear it and willing to undo it as far as possible? Dr H tracked the books down, and was pleasant to Joyce about the complaint.

If you are saying why you don't think it's a big deal, you're not listening to how it is.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Remark here.

Correction, I do have some control issues. A successful Harley marriage is considerate of each other, yet surely allows for lending a life jacket or interpreting 'replace the flapper in the toilet' to mean 'fix the toilet' without it being an ordeal.

I get the consideration lesson in how Dr H gave away some books that Joyce wanted to keep. I don't get why I get into so much trouble for interpreting 'fix the flapper' to mean 'fix the toilet' ( when the flapper wasn't the issue ), or why lending a life jacket is so offensive, except that it bothers W.

The lesson, the lesson, is that only thing to focus on is how she feels about anything.

Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Don't make noise about how difficult this is. That's like telling her "you're not worth it."

Markos,

Understood.

Thanks,
Remark

A
A

Remark here.

Correction, I do have some control issues. A successful Harley marriage is considerate of each other, yet surely allows for lending a life jacket or interpreting 'replace the flapper in the toilet' to mean 'fix the toilet' without it being an ordeal.[color:#3333FF]this is a disrespectful judgement. You are implying your wife is unreasonable.

I get the consideration lesson in how Dr H gave away some books that Joyce wanted to keep. I don't get why I get into so much trouble for interpreting 'fix the flapper' to mean 'fix the toilet' ( when the flapper wasn't the issue ), or why lending a life jacket is so offensive, except that it bothers W.

The lesson, the lesson, is that only thing to focus on is how she feels about anything.

Thanks,
Remark

[/color]

P
P

Remark here.

Correction, I do have some control issues. A successful Harley marriage is considerate of each other, yet surely allows for lending a life jacket or interpreting 'replace the flapper in the toilet' to mean 'fix the toilet' without it being an ordeal.

Thanks,
Remark

You don't need to "get it." You don't need to understand WHY she feels that way. She does. That's all that matters.

And if you want to be married to her, you're going to need to focus on that.

Why does it matter why it bothers her? Who cares why? The woman you love is hurt when you do these things. So, don't do them. Simple enough.

Saying "I don't get why" is very disrespectful.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Remark here.

Remark, you are being disrespectful to your wife here. Be sure to add this to your list of disrespectful judgments for the week. You are engaging in namecalling, particularly by using the word "ordeal." You are being inconsiderate of her feelings and using negative words to refer to her feelings.

This is why your marriage is failing. If you can stop talking about your wife's feelings like this, it will go a long way towards restoring things. That is the FIRST step, and you have not taken it, which is why your marriage is failing.

It hurts like hell when you do that. When you do that, it hurts your wife. It's like injecting toxic chemicals into her brain.

D
D
Remark-

Do you gave access to the MBR archives?

M
M

In a good marriage, you focus on both husband and wife's feelings, simultaneously.

You might remember Dr. Harley talks about the Giver and Taker. The Giver is the part of your thinking that thinks only about how to make other people happy, regardless of whether you are happy or not. It will suggest lots of ideas to you.

Meanwhile, the Taker is the part of your thinking that thinks only about how to make yourself happy, regardless of whether other people are happy or not. It will suggest lots of ideas to you.

Meanwhile you, Remark, are sitting in the middle hearing these ideas. You need to pick ideas that are acceptable to both your Giver AND your Taker. Those ideas will make both you AND JustDayToDay happy.

So, loaning out the lifejacket without asking your wife how she felt about it - that's a Taker idea. Don't try to make it anything more than that. It's not the "right" idea. Filtering that idea out because it doesn't make your wife happy is not "an ordeal." It's something every married person has to learn to do.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Remark-

Didnt,

No, not at the moment. My membership expired. (I just checked.) I'll re-up though. To what archive date should I re-listen?

Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Markos,

OK, I understand that.

Thanks, Remark

A
A
Listen to all of them. Start with the most recent ones and work your way backward.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Remark here.

Remark, you are being disrespectful to your wife here. Be sure to add this to your list of disrespectful judgments for the week. You are engaging in namecalling, particularly by using the word "ordeal." You are being inconsiderate of her feelings and using negative words to refer to her feelings.

This is why your marriage is failing. If you can stop talking about your wife's feelings like this, it will go a long way towards restoring things. That is the FIRST step, and you have not taken it, which is why your marriage is failing.

It hurts like hell when you do that. When you do that, it hurts your wife. It's like injecting toxic chemicals into her brain.

Markos,
You lost me. When I do what? The toilet or talk about it?
Thanks,
Remark

M
M
Remark here.

Markos,
You lost me. When I do what? The toilet or talk about it?
Thanks,
Remark

First of all, let's deal with the fact that you are being disrespectful to your wife. You say she's making a big "ordeal." You say that in marriage she should not make a big deal about you fixing the toilet or lending a life jacket.

Notice the "should"?

That's you being disrespectful.

Are you seeing a counselor who is telling you that your wife shouldn't make a big deal about the toilet or life jacket? If so, fire them, because they are teaching you to be disrespectful, and they will wreck your marriage.

Second, it hurts your wife like hell when you engage in independent behavior. Just like it hurts her like hell when you make disrespectful judgments.

If you only knew how your wife felt when you loaned out that jacket you wouldn't dare talk about it like it was no big deal. It's like she's tied to you with wires and you have the power to zap her. To you it was just loaning out a life jacket, but you zapped her!

How is it that you have been at Marriage Builders all these months and you are still talking so disrespectfully about her? And still doing things without asking her how she will feel? These two things (disrespectful judgments and independent behavior) are why your marriage is failing, Remark.

A
A
You could also search disrespectful judgment and listens for segments specifically related to your love busters.

But the fact that you haven't done this already is why I say you are just putting on a show.

A
A
You could also search disrespectful judgment and listens for segments specifically related to your love busters.

But the fact that you haven't done this already is why I say you are just putting on a show.

D
D
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Remark-

Didnt,

No, not at the moment. My membership expired. (I just checked.) I'll re-up though. To what archive date should I re-listen?

Thanks,
Remark

Let me know when you are updated and ready.

I am disappointed that you haven't valued my past advice to listen by topic.

You said it was a good idea. Did you forget about my suggestion or ignore it? (It's important that you answer this with openness and honesty.)

Page 53 of 74 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 430 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation