Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 56 of 74 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 73 74
I
I
First of all I think your apology draft shows progress. However you go on to make DJs and imply your wife's place is not foremost. That undos any progress.

Originally Posted by apples123
Don't you think it's weird that your daughter is inviting your wife to be a part of Fathers day?

It's like your family lives in backwards land.

Have you explained anything to the kids get?

This. Plans involving you only get made when you and your wife have excited conversations about things. It's not your daughter's place!

Originally Posted by Remark
JD2D declined to be involved and said she and our son would do something some other time, as I understand it.

Would you describe that as capitulation or enthusiastic approval?

Originally Posted by markos
Yes, I'm working to brainstorm something that honors JD2D without me feeling like I neglected a father's obligation when it's Father's Day

Remark, your obligation is to your wife.

"Forsaking all others."

She comes first.

You can only have ONE priority. The longer you try to juggle priorities the longer you will be irritable and letting JD2D know she has to help by capitulating.

I believe her discomfort with my kids is simply based on her discomfort with me and her and most of them knowing we are probably separating. With son coming into town and them asking about Father's Day, I felt I had to share that. She opted not to be involved when I asked her if she cared to be there when I told them.

Stop judging why she feels a certain way. You don't need to know why. JUST RESPECT THE FEELING WITHOUT MEASURING IT. It's also massively irritating and disrespectful for someone to assume psychic powers instead of simply saying OK. No she didn't give you a clear cut no, but without an enthusiastic YES it does NOT happen.

Sunny,

It's not exclusionary from anyone's perspective except W, perhaps, and that is the issue. Yet, she plays Words with Friends with two of these kids and the one visiting from Australia, she is/was pretty close to.

I am the one she is most upset with. And, since it is Father's Day, the kids are asking what I'd like to do.
And, of course, I only want to do something that includes my W and she is comfortable with. So, that's my quandary

Her perspective is the only one huh!?

Are you kidding? Her perspective is your 'I should not do that' compass in life.

Everyone else can deal.

Don't do anything without your wife's enthusiastic approval, without her being a part of MAKING the plans as your life partner.

I would be telling my husband a flat out no based simply on the way these plans came about. It is worrying she is shrugging and saying whatever. She's giving up on you.

Last edited by indiegirl; 06/17/15 12:11 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Are you seeing a counselor who is telling you that your wife shouldn't make a big deal about the toilet or life jacket? If so, fire them, because they are teaching you to be disrespectful, and they will wreck your marriage.

Remark, I didn't see an answer to this. Maybe I missed it.

Markos,
Sorry, I missed that question somewhere.
No, I am not seeing a counselor that says that. The last counselor I saw a few months ago did seem more validating of me than holding me accountable. And, W was not interested in going to see him together, so I stopped going to him.
Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by indiegirl
First of all I think your apology draft shows progress. However you go on to make DJs and imply your wife's place is not foremost. That undos any progress.

Don't you think it's weird that your daughter is inviting your wife to be a part of Fathers day?
W expresses that she feels like she should be consulted by the kids before any plans made. Instead of backwards, it seems considerate of her and what she might have already planned, or might care to do. That's not backwards.
It's like your family lives in backwards land.

Have you explained anything to the kids get?Yes. I asked W if she cared to be present or involved when we told them and she said no. Knowing they would be converging on our city, I asked the twins (that live here in town, to come over Sunday. I told them then, that were were probably separating and it was my hope to reconcile. I educated them on many of the Harley concepts in that conversation, BTW. They love us both, and understood. They play Words with Friends (daily, I think) with W.

This. Plans involving you only get made when you and your wife have excited conversations about things. It's not your daughter's place!W prefers to be considered in case she has other plans, so it doesn't seem backwards to her or me.

JD2D declined to be involved and said she and our son would do something some other time, as I understand it.

Would you describe that as capitulation or enthusiastic approval? Obviously more akin to CAP than EA

Yes, I'm working to brainstorm something that honors JD2D without me feeling like I neglected a father's obligation when it's Father's Day

Remark, your obligation is to your wife.

"Forsaking all others."

She comes first.

You can only have ONE priority. The longer you try to juggle priorities the longer you will be irritable and letting JD2D know she has to help by capitulating.

I believe her discomfort with my kids is simply based on her discomfort with me and her and most of them knowing we are probably separating. With son coming into town and them asking about Father's Day, I felt I had to share that. She opted not to be involved when I asked her if she cared to be there when I told them.

Stop judging why she feels a certain way. You don't need to know why. JUST RESPECT THE FEELING WITHOUT MEASURING IT. It's also massively irritating and disrespectful for someone to assume psychic powers instead of simply saying OK. No she didn't give you a clear cut no, but without an enthusiastic YES it does NOT happen.

Sunny,

It's not exclusionary from anyone's perspective except W, perhaps, and that is the issue. Yet, she plays Words with Friends with two of these kids and the one visiting from Australia, she is/was pretty close to.

I am the one she is most upset with. And, since it is Father's Day, the kids are asking what I'd like to do.
And, of course, I only want to do something that includes my W and she is comfortable with. So, that's my quandary

Her perspective is the only one huh!?

Are you kidding? Her perspective is your 'I should not do that' compass in life.

Everyone else can deal.

Don't do anything without your wife's enthusiastic approval, without her being a part of MAKING the plans as your life partner. How does one do that when she is in withdrawal?

I would be telling my husband a flat out no based simply on the way these plans came about. It is worrying she is shrugging and saying whatever. She's giving up on you.
[color:#009900][/color]

Last edited by Remark; 06/17/15 12:54 PM.
M
M
Remark, tell us all the ways you were disrespectful in the last 24 hours?

And don't say you weren't disrespectful. Your wife says you are disrespectful every day. You were even disrespectful about her on this forum.

Markos,

I didn't see my wife until 12:30 AM last night. I came home from work around 5:00 PM, let the dog out, went to work on the condo. Around 9:30, as I cleaning up to leave, I laid down for a minute, thinking, no way will I fall asleep. At midnight, she called, and that woke me up and I drove home, about 1/2 mile. She was watching her shows on Netflix, and I took a shower and came downstairs. I got on my PC and re-newed my subscription for archives on MB. We didn't talk much, and around 1:00 AM she got up and went to bed. As I completed my MB catch up, I went to bed around 1:30 AM. Up at 5:00 AM.

The disrespect I can think of might have been, (1) I texted her saying I let the dog out and was heading up to pull the rest of the bad carpet and pad, and tacks out. (Perhaps I should have asked her even though I knew her answer would be 'fine'.) (2) Then, falling asleep as I was heading home, was disrepectful.

(Our 15 yr old is out of town this week at a church youth camp.)
Thanks,
Remark

Can you make a list of single sentences, instead of paragraphs? Like this:

* I engaged in namecalling when I said a good marriage "surely allows for lending a lifejacket or fixing the toilet without being an ordeal.
* DJ #2
* DJ #3

Also, be specific. I don't understand your #2 at all. You just said you were disrespectful while falling asleep while heading home. What did you say or do, specifically, that was disrespectful?

The point is for you to learn to recognize disrespectful judgments.

Don't list instances where you did something without asking her. That is independent behavior: also a big problem, but not a disrespectful judgment.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Are you seeing a counselor who is telling you that your wife shouldn't make a big deal about the toilet or life jacket? If so, fire them, because they are teaching you to be disrespectful, and they will wreck your marriage.

Remark, I didn't see an answer to this. Maybe I missed it.

Markos,
Sorry, I missed that question somewhere.
No, I am not seeing a counselor that says that. The last counselor I saw a few months ago did seem more validating of me than holding me accountable. And, W was not interested in going to see him together, so I stopped going to him.
Thanks,
Remark

Good job, Remark. Glad to hear it!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
A
Do NOTHING!

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Remark, tell us all the ways you were disrespectful in the last 24 hours?

And don't say you weren't disrespectful. Your wife says you are disrespectful every day. You were even disrespectful about her on this forum.

Markos,

I didn't see my wife until 12:30 AM last night. I came home from work around 5:00 PM, let the dog out, went to work on the condo. Around 9:30, as I cleaning up to leave, I laid down for a minute, thinking, no way will I fall asleep. At midnight, she called, and that woke me up and I drove home, about 1/2 mile. She was watching her shows on Netflix, and I took a shower and came downstairs. I got on my PC and re-newed my subscription for archives on MB. We didn't talk much, and around 1:00 AM she got up and went to bed. As I completed my MB catch up, I went to bed around 1:30 AM. Up at 5:00 AM.

The disrespect I can think of might have been, (1) I texted her saying I let the dog out and was heading up to pull the rest of the bad carpet and pad, and tacks out. (Perhaps I should have asked her even though I knew her answer would be 'fine'.) (2) Then, falling asleep as I was heading home, was disrepectful.

(Our 15 yr old is out of town this week at a church youth camp.)
Thanks,
Remark

Can you make a list of single sentences, instead of paragraphs? Like this:

* I engaged in namecalling when I said a good marriage "surely allows for lending a lifejacket or fixing the toilet without being an ordeal.
* DJ #2
* DJ #3

Also, be specific. I don't understand your #2 at all. You just said you were disrespectful while falling asleep while heading home. What did you say or do, specifically, that was disrespectful?

The point is for you to learn to recognize disrespectful judgments.

Don't list instances where you did something without asking her. That is independent behavior: also a big problem, but not a disrespectful judgment.

Markos,
DJ#1. WOW!, I didn't realize I name-called as you mentioned.
DJ#2. I figured that just the falling asleep while cleaning up the mess, (exhausted), was inconsiderate like the snoring while they're watching a movie except different locales.

Not sure beyond that. Based on no. 1, I'll have to double back and analyze all of my postings yesterday. Right now, I have to get back to work.

Thanks,
Remark

A
A
How is your tone when you speak? Have you thought of carrying a VOice activated recorder on yourself so you could hear what you sound like?

I
I
!W prefers to be considered in case she has other plans, so it doesn't seem backwards to her or me.

It's really obvious that when you and the family make plans she feels pressured to either like the idea or capitulate. Stop putting her in this position. It is SUCH a bad idea to make plans without your wife and then INVITE her. You and your wife make the plans ALONE IN THE SAME ROOM and then you invite any others as a couple - ok?!

If you get any more ideas from the kids on this issue, just say the following script:

Remark: "JD2D and I haven't made any plans yet. You will be the first to know what they are when we do."

DD: "Yeah but, do YOU want to go? Are you going to ask her?"

Remark: "JD2D and I haven't made any plans yet. You will be the first to know what they are when we do."

Then you say to your wife: "What would YOU like to do on xday?" and keep pushing for her input FIRST before you introduce any IDEA of what other people are wanting. Who cares what they want? They have their own spouses and lives.

. How does one do that when she is in withdrawal?

It will be a lot of 'do nothings'. You have painted yourself into a corner where she naturally resents being second fiddle but she also doesn't want to be around you. Certainly not during the inevitable resentment from your having to 'do nothing'.

The only way you have of showing her she is a priority is to do nothing cheerfully and show her it is not a big deal.

Only then will she gain in confidence that she can say no.

Then, when she is coaxed into a situation where she no longer feels she has to capitulate, she may start telling you more about things you can do together.

Last edited by indiegirl; 06/17/15 02:01 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

A
A
Yes, I'm working to brainstorm something that honors JD2D without me feeling like I neglected a father's obligation when it's Father's Day and the stars are aligned such that his kids and grandsons are all in town at the same time (a rare occurrence).

This sentence came off as very smarmy to me. By saying it's "a father's obligation" it sounds like you are trying to grab the moral high ground over you W. Similar to using church or the bible to justify IB. ("Yes I know W didn't like that but my desire is church related so it is morally superior to her's...")

Father's day is a day that the family (including the spouse) honor's the father. It is not a day that the father has any extraordinary obligations to his children. So when you twist it to be that you should do what you want to do because it's your obligation, to me that comes off as very manipulative.

Also, in other posts you talk about saying "Let me check with JD2D first" - I would recommend saying "Let me get back to you on that" instead because if you say "Let me check with her" then pressure is put on her to say YES regardless of what she wants to do or she becomes the BAD GUY 'cause the other party will know that SHE must have said NO and killed everyone's fun...

D
D
Originally Posted by AnyWife
Also, in other posts you talk about saying "Let me check with JD2D first" - I would recommend saying "Let me get back to you on that" instead because if you say "Let me check with her" then pressure is put on her to say YES regardless of what she wants to do or she becomes the BAD GUY 'cause the other party will know that SHE must have said NO and killed everyone's fun...

Remark-

I would have the same reaction, and agree with this, which is why I brought it up earlier.

However,

YOU CAN'T ASSUME that our advice about phrasing is what SHE would want. The PRIORITY, would be that you ask Day how she feels about his suggestion and not assume that she will be enthusiastic with your first idea or plan to solve the problem.

Remark-
Could you please let us know when you have an answer about this from Day, AND once you have written it in your notebook?

M
M
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

Remark-

I would have the same reaction, and agree with this, which is why I brought it up earlier.

However,

YOU CAN'T ASSUME that our advice about phrasing is what SHE would want. The PRIORITY, would be that you ask Day how she feels about his suggestion and not assume that she will be enthusiastic with your first idea or plan to solve the problem.

Remark-
Could you please let us know when you have an answer about this from Day, AND once you have written it in your notebook?

I doubt that she wants to answer that. Dr. Harley usually advises "Let me get back to you on that," and I would suggest he just use that unless we have some reason to believe she wouldn't like it.

D
D
So, Marcos, you think it's better for him to not even ask her?

What about the apology letter to her? I agree that she might get mad. But that doesn't seem like a good reason to avoid apologizing properly.

In his proposed apology, he included a plan for avoiding the problem in the future. My suggestion was to present it as a "proposal" instead of a decision.

I feel uncomfortable when I am forced to disagree with my husband AFTER he has made a decision about anything. I would prefer to be consulted FIRST with his brainstorms, before he just assumes a decision. And this is such a sensitive topic for them both, that it would seem to me a good idea to agree on the phrasing and for him to stick with it.

I happen to agree with Dr. Harley's phrasing, but isn't it JD2D whom he is trying to adjust to here?

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

Remark-

However,

Remark-
Didnt,

I do see your better wording and your words are much better and what I meant.

Day's response was to ask me to move out, now.

So, I thought I'd check with MB before heading to new home where I don't have internet connectivity yet. And, I was having trouble posting at work today. I may not be able to do that anymore.

I'll have to run to a Starbucks or the library for the short-term, until I get internet set up.

My dwelling on this upcoming special regular weekend caused it.

Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
How is your tone when you speak? Have you thought of carrying a VOice activated recorder on yourself so you could hear what you sound like?
Apples,

I don't think I have any negative tone most of the time, but I'm sure she does, as I'm sure I do at times. She comments on my eye contact, body language, etc. She is very sensitive to all of the above. So that is something I need always be aware of.

Thanks,
Remark

S
S

You just can't let it go, can you?

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
A
A
Apples,

I don't think I have any negative tone most of the time, but I'm sure she does, as I'm sure I do at times. She comments on my eye contact, body language, etc. She is very sensitive to all of the above. So that is something I need always be aware of.

Thanks,
Remark

If she feels you have a negative tone, then you have a negative tone. Her perspective on how you are talking to her is the one that matters. Rather than awareness, you need to find out what you are doing to come across as negative to her, and then work on never doing it again.

I think a voice recorder is a great idea. We often don't know how we sound until we hear ourselves.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
D
D
Didnt,

I do see your better wording and your words are much better and what I meant.

Day's response was to ask me to move out, now.

No. That was not her response to the question about how to respond to invitations. It was her honest reaction to your attitude about family visits. That is how much it hurts her. It is intolerable. As Marcos said, you have "injected her head with poison" and she is reacting to it.

So, I thought I'd check with MB before heading to new home where I don't have internet connectivity yet. And, I was having trouble posting at work today. I may not be able to do that anymore. Honestly, if you would give up some of your power by just ACCEPTING her feelings about things, instead of getting STUCK, you wouldn't need to post all the time. Maybe she would even do the program with you if she saw that you were willing. But you get STUCK.

I'll have to run to a Starbucks or the library for the short-term, until I get internet set up.
You don't HAVE to do anything. You can solve the problem in a mutually acceptable way. And here you are worried about internet access instead of your wife's hurt. How insulting to her. I get it that you are trying to get help through the internet, but your wife is reeling in emotional pain right now. Please show some compassion, even if you have no empathy.

You are right. You did dwell on it. You got STUCK on it.

Can you look back and see how you could have handled this following Dr. Harley's plan? It would have been much cleaner and simpler.

Now I know that you are probably kicking yourself for getting STUCK in your own brain. But do you know what it looks like to your wife? It looks like disdain, defiance and unwillingness. That is most likely why she is upset.

Remark- you are blind, and we have been trying to guide you. At some point you need to give up some power and go with it until you come out on the other side with eyes to see.

We have all tried to help you, and you have tried to acknowledge everyone. But what we are saying hasn't clicked yet, and you are not willing to act blindly out of goodwill. Until you give up some personal power to your wife's feelings, you cannot win her over.

You will not be able to wrap your brain around these concepts until you actually practice them. Remark- do you see that you are wasting Day's time and ours by waffling? Can you see how that is not congruent with showing care for her?

Thanks,
Remark

D
D
Remark-
Please, please apologize to your wife. Even if she thinks that it is an empty apology. It needs doing. She needs comfort.

D
D
Remark-

If you have Internet access on your phone then you can listen to radio shows about the POJA. Do a search by topic and listen to one right after another. Can you do that?

Page 56 of 74 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation