Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
however, we have to be careful no to absolve them of their choices.

I really don't think we need to be lectured about this.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Ok. I have to believe the sentiment is one of being "capable" of having an affair, not that everyone would actually have one.
And you are wrong.

The pull of romantic love is very strong and having needs met is extremely tempting. I can believe that for most people there are circumstances that make affairs extremely tempting--just like there are circumstances that would make stealing extremely tempting (like starvation). But the fact remains that actually getting into it is a choice.
And there are circumstances in which we would all make that choice.

It's an exercise, at the very core of boundaries, will, character or whatever you want to call it. It may be moralistic and disrespectful to say, but it remains the truth.
Repeating yourself is not going to make it true.

I don't believe that waywards are irredeemably horrible people at all. Just like I don't believe all robbers are irredeemably horrible, but I don't soften my language around their behavior either.
When Dr. Harley tried that, it failed.

And I don't believe that faithful spouses are above them (you can be a totally crappy spouse and be faithful); however, we have to be careful no to absolve them of their choices.
No one has.

Sometimes, I fear that the language of fog and addiction does that.
But it doesn't.

Anyway, again, I think we are generally talking about the same thing. So if saying boundaries instead of character is better, then I am fine with that. But the bottom line really is: No excuses. You're a grown up who made a vow. You broke that vow in an extremely hurtful (and frankly immoral) way. You have the responsibility to stop that even if it hurts you. The hope is that you then can build a romantic marriage with your spouse (MB), but you didn't have an uncontrollable disease. you made a choice to have poor boundaries.

Just like anybody else with good character would have made, given the same circumstances.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Originally Posted by markos
however, we have to be careful no to absolve them of their choices.

I really don't think we need to be lectured about this.

Seriously.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
you made a choice to have poor boundaries.
It is either choices you make, or it is a character issue. It cannot be both.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

N
N
This seems to be getting too emotional. PW isn't lecturing anyone.

If the discussion can remain civil, may I ask if having an affair is considered morally wrong? If it is, then the decision to have an affair was a moral choice.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
P
P
Yes, she is. smile

If the discussion can remain civil, may I ask if having an affair is considered morally wrong? If it is, then the decision to have an affair was a moral choice.
As Melody has pointed out, there rarely is a time when someone actually makes the decision to have an affair.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
OP Offline
P
Ok, this is getting nonsensical.

How can it not be a character issue and not a choice? My choices are a reflection of my character. Being a murder is a reflection on my character...it is also a poor choice. The same thing with adultery. Character is the exercise of the will. It is not immutable. It can change over time. At it can be great in some places and lacking in others. I would say that I would be hard pressed to have an affair (not impossible, but it would take ALOT--like being locked in a room with a man who likes everything I like and is really cute for a couple of weeks), but I have a character issue when it comes to anger. I felt ENTITLED to it. That was a character issue. I am changing that character issue--I'm not entitled to it-- and my behavior is changing accordingly.

Also, it is not true that everyone would have an affair under the right circumstances. It can't be. That is fatalistic and implies that people cannot control what they do. That is not true. Again, if that were true--EVERY betrayed spouse who goes through at two year divorce would have an affair.

Anyway, whatever guys. I am not sure why you are attacking me, when I largely agree with you. You seem to get mad at me for pointing out that people can have serious moral failures and make horrible choices that they simply self-justify (like adultery).

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
N
N
Originally Posted by Prisca
Yes, she is. smile

As Melody has pointed out, there rarely is a time when someone actually makes the decision to have an affair.

I think you're reading more into PW's posts than she intends.

I agree that there's probably not a one-time conscious decision of "Hey, I think I'll break my wedding vows and totally destroy my spouse." But what leads up to the affair are small choices that are at best morally questionable.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
A
A
Poor boundaries and character are totally different Pigglet. Poor boundary you allow OS friend to get emotionally close without the intention of anything happening, maybe even thinking you have high moral values and nothing could ever happen and that you would never break your vows. You are making a bad choice due to poor boundaries. Many affairs start online and maybe they had high boundaries in person but thought, what is a one time reply for a message, then went to two and ended up a frequent chatting. You are totally responsible for your choice. You are responsible. No one says you arent.
After exposure, then I think it is about character. I don't know, maybe even not but thats how I see it and the boundary word is the best word that defines the start of an affair, or most. Saying poor boundary doesn't absolve your crime. Now after you know that low boundaries open you up for an affair and not having high boundaries, then it is about character. But many people have low boundaries not because of low moral standards pre-affair.

P
P
Your character and your choices are two different things.

Also, it is not true that everyone would have an affair under the right circumstances. It can't be. That is fatalistic and implies that people cannot control what they do. That is not true. Again, if that were true--EVERY betrayed spouse who goes through at two year divorce would have an affair.
Your logic doesn't follow. Just because everybody would have an affair given the right circumstances does not mean that EVERY BS who goes through a two year divorce would have an affair. There is no logic in that line of reasoning.

But it is true that everybody would have an affair given the RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. If you make the same choices that a wayward makes, and put yourself in the same position that a wayward is in, you WILL have an affair. You cannot put yourself in that circumstance and be immune.

Anyway, whatever guys. I am not sure why you are attacking me, when I largely agree with you. You seem to get mad at me for pointing out that people can have serious moral failures and make horrible choices that they simply self-justify (like adultery).
Disagreeing with you is not attacking you.

And nobody has disagreed that people can make serious moral failures and horrible choices. Don't put words in our mouths, okay? smile

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
OP Offline
P
And the last thing I'd like to point out is that intention simply doesn't matter--

Most people don't intend to have affairs. So what? I also didn't intend to make love unit withdrawls with my anger either. I simply wanted to get my way. I made a series of choices--anger--based on my character (i am entitled to yell at my husband so he knows how upset I am does what I want). That is wrong. My entitlement led to bad behavior.

That is the same thing with an affair. So, your intention is to get your needs met, not to hurt your spouse. But in the process you do because your thought process is that you should get your needs met (which is legitimate), but that having this friendship is the way to do it (entitlement). I remember my husband telling me "you have no RIGHT to tell me that she can't be in my life." If that isn't entitlement, I don't know what is.

I actually remember feeling an attraction to that co-worker I mentioned before, and made a conscience choice to STAY AWAY from that guy. I have character failings in other places, though.

Anyway, If you feel lectured at, then I am sorry. I still don't think I am saying anything that that's controversial or even out of line with this program.

Last edited by PigletWiglet; 06/24/15 04:04 PM.

P
P
But what leads up to the affair are small choices that are at best morally questionable.
A lot of people would take issue with that. A lot of people would see a difference between "I'm going to go have sex with that guy!" and "That man made me feel good when he talked to me at work."

A lot of people do not see a moral issue with having a friendly conversation with the opposite sex. The little steps are not necessarily seen as moral issues.

At Marriage Builders, we learn that they are certainly POOR BOUNDARIES. But they are not going to be seen as immoral by even your average church-goer.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
And the last thing I'd like to point out is that intention simply doesn't matter--
There's a huge difference in affairs that are intentional and those that are not.

Those that are intentional are far less likely to be recovered from. They tend to be the serial cheaters -- people who are addicted to affairs rather than to a person.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Prisca
There's a huge difference in affairs that are intentional and those that are not.

Those that are intentional are far less likely to be recovered from. They tend to be the serial cheaters -- people who are addicted to affairs rather than to a person.

Sure. If that person recognizes that an affair is not a legitimate way to get their needs met and changes their behavior around it--as well as their sense of entitlement about it, which I would argue is a character issue--changes. The thoughts can follow the actions, certainly.

But what I am saying is that intention doesn't matter in terms of getting involved in the first place. It is still a series of choices that leads to the affair. I would argue that those choices are largely conscience even if people think they are innocent to start. At least my husband, for instance, knew what he was doing--he just justified his actions at every step and even in a moment of clarity admitted to me. He said, "N, I didn't do this because you were a bad wife. I knew that I should have stopped talking to her so much and that it was hurting you. I just didn't want to. I didn't even make an effort to. I thought I deserved a little attention." Again--entitlement alert!

Whereas, I mentioned before, I did make that effort with my former co-worker. That may seem self-righteous, but it's true. It doesn't make me a better person. It means I don't have a sense of entitlement around getting my emotional needs met it that way.

Anyway--bottom line: I think Dr. Harley's approach works simply because he focuses on the behavior, not the thinking (entitlement), which clearly makes people upset because nobody wants to think of themselves as a bad person. it doesn't mean the thinking doesn't have to change. Feelings, thinking, character can most certainly follow after action.

P
P
But what I am saying is that intention doesn't matter in terms of getting involved in the first place.
Yes, it does matter. It is an entirely different beast.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Do you listen to the radio show on a regular basis?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
OP Offline
P
I agree that serial cheaters have a stronger sense of entitlement than one-timers, certainly. That doesn't mean the entitlement doesn't exist with one timers, at least in their thinking and actions leading up to and during an affair.

You are correct that in terms of recovery it makes a difference. When someone cheats repeatedly, it means they aren't giving up their entitlement. They are picking their entitlement to their IB, SSL and affair addictions over you. Definitely.

P
P
Do you listen to the radio show on a regular basis?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Most people who have affairs are historically very moral people and practice moral standards in other areas of their lives. People don't usually set out to have an affair or become an alcoholic. IT happens much like the frog in boiling water, it is slow and subtle. Once the person realizes what has happened, they are completely consumed with their addiction and can't seem to get themselves out.

They know deep down it is wrong but they are so deeply consumed that they rationalize and justify it. We call that the FOG. It is easier to change your beliefs than your behavior.

I agree that once you are in it, it's hard to get out of. However, getting in it IS a character issue. It indicates lack of boundaries and a sense of entitlement. Getting to the point at which you are addicted starts from a series of choices--the decision to talk to this person, to keep talking, etc.

I disagree completely. Most people have poor boundaries out of ignorance, not out of poor character or a sense of entitlement. I am a recovering alcoholic [30 years sober in April] and I never made a decision to be an alcoholic. I drank and then one day I realized "OH MY GOD, I can't stop. I don't want to stop." And then the excuses and rationalizations set in. Was I am immoral person? No, I was not. I was ignorant of the risks. I was vulnerable to alcoholism and ignorant of the risks.

Is that an excuse? OH NO. There is no excuse.

I used to have a traveling job (long before my husband's affair), in which I traveled internationally often. I was propositioned a couple of times and once had a very nice colleague who I would have dated had I not been married. I always kept the conversation professional and declined time a hotel bars, etc. I don't say this because I am super human, but because I had a sense of boundaries and I didn't even want to have the appearance of impropriety.

Because you are aware of the risks and behave appropriately. Most people are not aware of risks at all and believe they "should be trusted." They tend to be more vulnerable than others because they believe they are IMMUNE to it.

believe that the fog is real--but it doesn't just land on people. The behavior that LEADS to the affair is conscience and is very much a character issue.

Conscience is a funny thing when you are facing an addiction. The conscience gets drowned out by rationalizations and lies and excuses that are fueled by an overwhelming addiction. IT's funny, but in the midst of my alcoholism I still remember the sense that "my conscience is SCREAMING to get out!!"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
There is a massive difference between someone who is out actively trolling for action and one who sort of stumbles into an affair. We hear so many say that they "never ever intended on having an affair. I can't believe this is me." Whereas the serial cheater can believe it because he is actively looking for it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 777 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation