Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 34 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 33 34
P
P
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
The 30 hours of dates is going to be a problem. I'm not interested in that right now. I do not feel safe with him. I'm more inclined at this point to do plan B. So, from that perspective, if a couple were trying to come out of plan B, would they be expected to jump right into 30 hours together?? I was thinking one simple date a week to start, maybe dinner or walking the dog.

Of course, this is all contingent on what Steve Harley says re: Remark and his family.

Without the 30 hours, all of this is pointless. One date a week will not work, and will be a waste of time.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by apples123
You need a lot of positive experiences together to rebuild the love banks. So 30 hours are necessary.
eventually, yes, but coming out if plan B? I'm still considering doing plan B (will talk to Steve about that perhaps.) If it's 30 hours or plan B, I'll probably choose plan B.

P
P
Yes, even if you were coming out of Plan B.

If you're not going to do the 30 hours, you might as well file for divorce. It will be easier for all.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Originally Posted by Prisca
Saying my posts are riddled with them doesn't help me identify them.
Start with avoiding the specific things I mentioned.
- Don't be sarcastic
- Don't assume what he is thinking or feeling
- Don't hyperbole
- Don't educate him
of course, but that assumes I recognize when I'm doing those things.

This fact might help you develop some empathy for Remark, who also has trouble recognizing his lovebusters.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

J
OP Offline
J
I'll talk to Steve or revisit with Willard. I believe I got a different response from him when we talked.

J
OP Offline
J
Plus, where did 30 hours come from? Dr. Harley talks of 15.

S
S
The 30 hours of dates is going to be a problem. I'm not interested in that right now. I do not feel safe with him. I'm more inclined at this point to do plan B. So, from that perspective, if a couple were trying to come out of plan B, would they be expected to jump right into 30 hours together?? I was thinking one simple date a week to start, maybe dinner or walking the dog.
"Couples" do not go into Plan B. One spouse imposes Plan B to protect herself from an affair, or abuse, or addiction.

To come out of Plan B, that spouse would need to know that the affair, abuse or addiction had ended, and the other spouse was willing to commit to a programme of recovery.

At that point, the spouses normally return to living together, and yes, at least 20 hours of UA time would be required by Dr H, right away, for their recovery. It would be part of the programme of recovery. There would be no point getting back together if one spouse did not want to spend that time with the other.

If you are not interested in a putting a sizeable chunk of UA time at the heart of your separation, then what is your goal with the separation? I asked you earlier today to be honest about your intentions, but you did not respond at all to that part of my post, and decided to throw a temper tantrum.

I have been posting under the assumption that your separation was an attempt to escape the bad behaviour that has dogged your marriage, and for you both to learn how to have a loving relationship. I thought it was a way to try to save your marriage, before you, JDTD, could not take any more of the marriage and filed for divorce. That is why I encouraged you to schedule dates - to which you responded that Remark was too busy working on his condo to go on dates. But now it seems to obstacle to dates is you.

If you only see Remark once a week to walk the dog, you will not spend enough enjoyable time alone together to fall in love again.

If you don't want to do UA time properly, you might as well file for divorce.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
OP Offline
J
I empathize with him not seeing them. Whether I have empathy for the time it has taken him to address them will come later.

S
S
Plus, where did 30 hours come from? Dr. Harley talks of 15.
Dr Harley talks of 15 hours to maintain love where it already exists. He recommends 20 or more hours per week to create love where none exists.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
OP Offline
J
SugarCane, I can't look up what I've read before on my phone so I'll have to get back to your post later when I'm home.

S
S
SugarCane, I can't look up what I've read before on my phone so I'll have to get back to your post later when I'm home.
You don't really need to look up what you wrote earlier to answer my question from a few minutes ago.

I'll ask again: What is your goal with the separation? Do you intend to use it to rebuild your marriage, or have you decided to get a divorce?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
OP Offline
J
The initial purpose was simply to separate myself from what I experienced as abusive treatment. Where it would go from there was up in the air at that point, and I think it still is. I've never in 21 years had the "intention to divorce," but have recently accepted that it might be inevitable.

Remark moved out once before a few years back. After a time, I let him move back in and re-engaged with him in a manner much like has been suggested here, based on words only without any evidence of change. I believe that was a huge mistake on my part and I have no intention of repeating that same mistake. So I've been waiting for some evidence of change in his behavior, with the intention of re-engaging slowly this time, IF I see a reason for hope.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by SugarCane
You don't really need to look up what you wrote earlier to answer my question from a few minutes ago.
I wasn't going to look up what *I* wrote, I was going to look up something I read in one of the articles on the MB site. frown

J
OP Offline
J
This is the article that resonated with me, down to the belief in unconditional love, separation, short-term length of her Plan B, and even "He agreed to do everything that was recommended while in the counseling office, but then didn't always follow through on the assignments." I was formulating my approach based upon this: "Fifteen hours a week of undivided attention, using the time to meet each other's emotional needs for affection, conversation, recreational companionship, and sexual fulfillment, was the goal." The goal, not the starting point, and it doesn't mention anything about 20-30 hours. Also, they didn't move back in together for a year. This might be worth an email to Dr. Harley for clarification, especially since he's familiar with our situation.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 06/30/15 09:33 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Oh, and this: "It's pointless to deposit love units if you withdraw them right away." That's why I think it would be a bad idea to do more than a small amount of time at first, because Remark is still making make more withdrawals than deposits.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 06/30/15 09:56 PM.
H
H
Oh, and this: "It's pointless to deposit love units if you withdraw them right away." That's why I think it would be a bad idea to do more than small amount of time at first, because Remark is making make more withdrawals than deposits.

And a large part of that is because when he quits being a dolt long enough to give you 5 minutes of conversation, you squander it with arguments and unpleasantness.

You both keep fighting, you both keep blaming the other... and what has been repeated by posters to the both of you ad nauseum is STOP FIGHTING.

Don't start the unpleasant conversations.

Don't continue them if he starts them.

Just. Stop. It.

Who's to blame is irrelevant. That these nasty, disrespectful exchanges continue to occur is a bilateral cancer to your marriage surviving

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
J
OP Offline
J
Okay, this point has been beat to death. I've heard you and I've started mentally preparing for that already. I'd like to request that you now give me an opportunity to apply what you've suggested before continuing to pound me over the head with it.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 06/30/15 10:01 PM.
P
P
And a large part of that is because when he quits being a dolt long enough to give you 5 minutes of conversation, you squander it with arguments and unpleasantness.
Yes.

He doesn't have the time to make the deposits. If you're no longer fighting with him, there will be plenty of time.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
This is the article that resonated with me, down to the belief in unconditional love, separation, short-term length of her Plan B, and even "He agreed to do everything that was recommended while in the counseling office, but then didn't always follow through on the assignments." I was formulating my approach based upon this: "Fifteen hours a week of undivided attention, using the time to meet each other's emotional needs for affection, conversation, recreational companionship, and sexual fulfillment, was the goal." The goal, not the starting point, and it doesn't mention anything about 20-30 hours. Also, they didn't move back in together for a year. This might be worth an email to Dr. Harley for clarification, especially since he's familiar with our situation.

Dr. Harley mentions 20-30 hours all over his program all the time.

15 hours MAINTAINS the love. It takes 20-30 hours to CREATE the romantic love. Since you have NONE, it is best to start there.

Nobody starts the program with less than 15 hours unless there is an affair, addiction or abuse going on. You have none of those. There is no reason to start with less. Anything less will not get you any results, and you will be wasting your time.

Your case is not special just because you don't like him anymore and don't trust him. That describes the majority of cases that come here.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Prisca

Dr. Harley mentions 20-30 hours all over his program all the time.

15 hours MAINTAINS the love. It takes 20-30 hours to CREATE the romantic love. Since you have NONE, it is best to start there.

Nobody starts the program with less than 15 hours unless there is an affair, addiction or abuse going on. You have none of those. There is no reason to start with less. Anything less will not get you any results, and you will be wasting your time.

Your case is not special just because you don't like him anymore and don't trust him. That describes the majority of cases that come here.
Okay, well I'm not going to fight with you smile , I've already dropped a note to Dr. Harley for clarification.

Page 20 of 34 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 298 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation