Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 34 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 33 34
M
M
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
Is this seriously what a happily-married couple does on a Friday night???

We have had many happily married couples post together on Marriage Builders. It was great for their relationship and a major benefit to the board.

I hope you will keep an open mind and listen to the great advice you are getting. As someone who has been divorced, I would agree you should just do it instead of discussing it. Divorces are not amicable and pretending they are such only makes the process much worse.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P

Oh yes!

We had our absolutely wonderful, mind-blowing date this morning. Who would want to go out on a Friday night and fight the crowds of people who think Friday night is the only night you can have a date? That's not my cup of tea. smile

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
A
smile we are big fans of the non-primetime date as well.

Last edited by apples123; 07/10/15 08:55 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

We have had many happily married couples post together on Marriage Builders. It was great for their relationship and a major benefit to the board.

I hope you will keep an open mind and listen to the great advice you are getting. As someone who has been divorced, I would agree you should just do it instead of discussing it. Divorces are not anicable and pretending they are such only makes the process much worse.
With the exception of this immediate advice about D'ing, I have listened to and applied the advice. For the last almost two weeks, I've done it to the letter. I haven't had one fight with Remark and deflected if he tried to start one; I gave him my LB list last week unceremoniously (he didn't give me one;) I haven't tattled on him and let him post to the forum as he chose to, or not; I've been pleasant during the very minimal interactions we've had; I haven't tried to redirect his condo rehabbing activities or family interactions or IB of any sort.

I also have not gone on dates with him but that's not a big deal because a.) he only asked me again just yesterday after someone pinged him, and b.) Dr. (Willard) Harley is in agreement with us not doing so as long as our interactions are still laced with LB's (non-argument related.)

And all this has very successfully accomplished providing Remark an opportunity to work un-distracted on his condo.

I very much appreciate everyone's insistence that I step away, because it has enabled me to witness Remark's self-motivated efforts towards saving this M. I find they're almost non-existent. I would be hard-pressed to identify one thing he's applying besides "don't discuss anything unpleasant" (THAT was not a hard sell for him.) I know he's talking to Steve but I don't know what about; there's nothing evident in day-to-day life. And at this moment, I'm unable to distinguish what would be different if we actually were D'd. Tonight, he and our son are at his place watching the ballgame on tv while they work on the condo.

So between the call last week with Steve and the dead-silence since we stopped arguing, and the disheartening email exchanges between he and I and Dr. (Willard) Harley, I decided it was time. I stopped in the courthouse today to pick up the forms I need and I'll be filling them out this weekend. I'm sorry to hear your comment about "amicable divorces." We've actually known several couples through the years that have done it quite well, and the pay-off was extraordinary, not only financially but in regards to the impact on the kids. I'm still willing to give it a go until it proves unworkable. I KNOW the best way to guarantee that it WON'T be amicable is for me to start off with an attorney when we both said we would prefer not to. And most of the separation has already been done, there's just some child-related specifics that need to be defined. I'll do my best and he can fill in what he needs to, or if he decides he wants an attorney afterall, we can switch.

My divorcing was never intended as a threat, but rather as a warning of what was eminent given our current course. I never imagined giving Remark as much opportunity and as many chances as possible would have been considered a bad thing.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 07/10/15 09:48 PM.
M
M
[ I KNOW the best way to guarantee that it WON'T be amicable is for me to start off with an attorney when we both said we would prefer not to.

Our experience on this board - and Dr Harley agrees - is that most divorces are not "amicable" and such mediations are brutal. With you and Remark's long history of abusing each other I don't see how it could be otherwise. Just think about that for a minute. If a couple could successfully negotiate, they wouldn't be divorcing in the first place. When board members have tried to do this on their own, it has historically been a futile, highly stressful, combative waste of time that availed nothing. A more successful path was to have one attorney propose a settlement to start the process.

My divorcing was never intended as a threat, but rather as a warning of what was eminent given our current course.

Why not just do it, then? IT seems that if you were serious, you would just file. I think sometimes divorce is the definition of success.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
Divorce seems like a pretty serious decision to ask, "Why not just do it?" It's not like I'm just splurging on a purse. In any case, I'm there so it's somewhat moot.

Most divorces aren't amicable. Some are. Being as we've already split everything and our son is 15, it doesn't seem like there's much left to fight about and it's just filling out the paperwork. I guess time will tell. You may be right.

A
A
Divorce is inherently adversarial.

M
M
Divorce seems like a pretty serious decision to ask, "Why not just do it?" It's not like I'm just splurging on a purse. In any case, I'm there so it's somewhat moot.

I agree it is a serious decision and we have taken you seriously. Should we be treating your decision the same as splurging on a purse? I would hope not. I don't think divorce should be bandied about unless you have made that decision. IF you "are there," as you say, why not just do it?

Exposure 101

M
M
skeptical skeptical How did she know I just splurged on 2 new purses online?! skeptical

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
And attorneys are a big part of that adversity, I believe.

Seriously, if we've already split the finances, Remark purchased a condo and moved, our son is of an age where the courts would let him decide his own schedule, what's left? Everything we've fought about for so long was within the context of M. All that goes away with D.

J
OP Offline
J

I agree it is a serious decision and we have taken you seriously. Should we be treating your decision the same as splurging on a purse? I would hope not. I don't think divorce should be bandied about unless you have made that decision. IF you "are there," as you say, why not just do it?
I am. I don't understand your question. I have the forms. I have a plan for the weekend to fill them out and gather the supporting documents. The courts are closed until Monday.

J
OP Offline
J
skeptical skeptical How did she know I just splurged on 2 new purses online?! skeptical
PICTURES!!!!

M
M
And attorneys are a big part of that adversity, I believe.

No, they aren't. We are referring to the behavior of the divorcing spouses.

Seriously, if we've already split the finances, Remark purchased a condo and moved, our son is of an age where the courts would let him decide his own schedule, what's left? Everything we've fought about for so long was within the context of M. All that goes away with D.

Then just file and be done with it.

Exposure 101

M
M
PICTURES!!!!

I REFUSE to incriminate myself!! But I will say there are some AWESOME sales online right now! grin I am "saving" lots of money!

Exposure 101

M
M
[
I am. I don't understand your question. I have the forms. I have a plan for the weekend to fill them out and gather the supporting documents. The courts are closed until Monday.

Then what are you arguing about?!

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
[

Huh?

My only differing perspective is whether to use an attorney or not. I intend not to until deemed otherwise. Otherwise, no one is arguing that I'm aware of.

M
M
[

Huh?

My only differing perspective is whether to use an attorney or not. I intend not to until deemed otherwise. Otherwise, no one is arguing that I'm aware of.

You seem to be arguing. I am not sure why if you have decided to file. The question was why do you need to negotiate with remark? Why not just file? As abusive as you both have been, that seems counterproductive.

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
You seem to be arguing. I am not sure why if you have decided to file. The question was why do you need to negotiate with remark? Why not just file? As abusive as you both have been, that seems counterproductive.
I'm doing this because this is what we agreed we would do back when he moved out. I don't have a reason NOT to try to work with him amiably on this when I see no obvious roadblocks or landmines. Both of us filing mutually agreed-upon documents initially will make the court process smoother for both of us.

That's my plan. No argument, just what I'm going to do unless/until real-life indicates otherwise.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 07/10/15 10:43 PM.
M
M
['m doing this because this is what we agreed we would do back when he moved out. I don't have a reason NOT to try to work with him amiably on this when I see no obvious roadblocks or landmines.

Wouldn't the reason be because you don't have an amicable relationship?

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
['m doing this because this is what we agreed we would do back when he moved out. I don't have a reason NOT to try to work with him amiably on this when I see no obvious roadblocks or landmines.

Wouldn't the reason be because you don't have an amicable relationship?
So, to put an end to this argument, I'm going to leave it at, "I'll let you know. I'm going to have to get back to you."

Page 22 of 34 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation