Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
D
OP Offline
D
So Day 17 was overall successful.

I started day following through on romantic breakfast and re-invited Wife even though she had already declined. She must have been a bit annoyed that I was ignoring her request to stop messaging her affectionately and to stop inviting her on dates and outings because she messaged me to remind me of er request and that she is not going to join me outings. She made of point of saying she is not wanting to be rude just clear.

I think her being annoyed is a good sign. So I replied that I love how respectfulness informs all her interaction and that even when she is annoyed she is respectful and told her I was just picking up the croissants.

I went to headland and setup the blanket and picnic items. Took some pictures of sunrise and msg'd her to say I missed sharing the beautiful morning with her.

I picked up my daughter from her mothers and spent morning doing practical things around house and had a few interactions with wife that were relatively relaxed.

I had agreed to get boxes for my wife so I visited a few places and arranged to have some put aside at a local supermarket to pick up the next day.

I just stayed happy and pleasant. Tried to respond positively and enthusiastically to any request for assistance or input into house stuff.

In the afternoon I picked up stepson from his weekend job and took him and my daughter (both 15) to a trampoline fun centre and jumped around with them.

The evening saw wife and stepsons going to her friends place for dinner and my daughter and I went to my brothers for dinner.

When we returned I fed the pets and did the washing up and cleaned kitchen.

So all up I think a good day of Love bank investment and no love busters.

D
OP Offline
D
Day 18

- Was up at 6am to see off Stepson 18 heading back to Uni
- Collected boxes and various repair and cleaning items for work around house
- spent 5 hours repairing all the window screens while W worked on cleaning fence and paths etc
- cooked an indian chicken curry for dinner

W was noticeable down and not talkative at all. She had sent me an email prior to dinner to request a valuation of some of my belongings for the purposes of her getting a financial settlement advice. I responded with

Hi XXXXX,

As I mentioned before I intend to stay married and keep the family together.

I have a plan to restore love to our marriage. I am going to make our relationship and our family my number one priority and will focus on to meeting all your important emotional needs like spending lots of time together, making sure you feel appreciated, and taking special care of the household tasks I had been so lax about before.

I also promise to protect you from my selfish behaviour and not do any of the hurtful behaviours I have done in the past like not attending family / children events, not listening to your concerns, and making unilateral uncompromising decisions that made you feel unloved and disrespected. Bad habits can be changed and positive ones can replace them. I have changed my body clock and have not stopped focussing on trying to be positive and supportive for you.

I promise that we will become partners in all decision making in our relationship that we will always strive to achieve enthusiastic agreement about everything and never let there be a loser in having our needs met.

I know I have let you and the kids down. I am willing to do what ever it takes to be the best husband and father for you.

Love
xxx

Her Response was this

XXXX,

It takes two to be in a relationship. I am no longer invested in ours. I understand why you have invested so much of your energy in the past two weeks in trying to convince me to change my mind. No amount of investment on your part will change my mind. Your ongoing invitations and declarations of a future for our relationship make me uncomfortable.

I will continue to work on getting the house ready to sell & finding a new home for (her sons) & I. (MY daugter) is very worried that she won't be able to have Pippin wherever you and her live. You have an opportunity to create a stronger relationship with her & focus on her needs. I suggest you invest your energy in finding somewhere to live that Pippin can be with (My Daughter).

If you don't provide me with an estimate of the value of the windsurfing gear I will take an inventory & do some online research to do my own estimate. My solicitor gave me a book titled 'Know where you stand' - it's a plain English guide to separation. You are welcome to read it. It has helped me understand how we might come to a settlement agreement.

I have replied with

I am your husband, you are my wife. I am sorry if me expressing my love and commitment to our marriage makes you feel uncomfortable. Though I can't imagine why you would expect anything less? There is no cell in my body with the capacity to harm you or (Stepson). There is only love and understanding.

I am here for you with my arms and heart open. All I want is to hold you again and make you feel special. I miss being close to you more than anything.

Two weeks ago you txt'd me to let me know you appreciated my efforts to prioritise things that are important to you. Something drastic must have happened in that time for you to go from being grateful for a loving husband, two beautiful children that need us, a home with love and memories that we have created.

These things are most important things in the world to me and I am going to fight for them. I don't care about money, or things, all care about is you, and the kids.

I know I didn't do anything deliberately to hurt you. I would never do that. The only thing that makes sense is that there is someone else. Perhaps you might like to consider doing the honourable and humane thing and telling me the truth?

What ever the real reason is our relationship and family is everything to me and is worth putting more effort in than just walking away. You know more than anyone that of all people we have the intelligence and insight to get through this.

If the strength of my adoration for you could manifest in a force it would pick you up and carry you into my arms and you would melt into me again. I day dream about that.

Please don't give up yet.

She as visibly not happy at the dinner table. Like part of her life force had been sucked out of her.

Last edited by Dajavude; 07/19/15 04:17 AM.
A
A
She is conflicted because you aren't being the ogre. Keep doing what you are doing.

You would be wise to viit an attorney though to find out what your rights are and how you can delay. Then if she brings up separating, you can say "let the attorneys talk about that, you and I should have fun. Want to go to the beach?"

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by apples123
She is conflicted because you aren't being the ogre. Keep doing what you are doing.

You would be wise to viit an attorney though to find out what your rights are and how you can delay. Then if she brings up separating, you can say "let the attorneys talk about that, you and I should have fun. Want to go to the beach?"

I can just imagine her response to that smile

Ironically seeing her so unhappy is harder to deal with than keeping myself positive. I appreciate everyones advice on trying to woo her. It has given me something to focuss my actions on.

D
OP Offline
D
Just wondering. If there is no OM approx how long should I expect to wait before she might reconsider the relationship?

She was very agitated again this morning. Giving me the most minimal responses to my good morning and later admiring her outfit.

Dr Harley mentions that from a state of withdrawal she may periodically stick her head up into conflict. Her email and behaviour i think is her way of pushing because she is not getting what she wants. Which is me giving up.

D
OP Offline
D
She has sent me an email this morning regarding rea estate agents. I have responded that selling the house is not part of my plans at the moment and that we should plan a weekend away.

She has responded by advising she has another appointment with her psychologist and that I am welcome to come with her so I can better understand her perspective.

I responded that i thought the pyschologist had a much different set of priorities to facilitating communication between herself and I and didn't seem to have our family or relationship as the main priority.

Should I go anyway?

A
A
Hmm, my first thought is don't go but maybe Dr. Harley would feel differently. When is the appointment? Do you have time to email the Harley's?

D
OP Offline
D
Hmm, my first thought is don't go but maybe Dr. Harley would feel differently. When is the appointment? Do you have time to email the Harley's?

I'm actually talking to them on the radio tomorrow morning smile

Last edited by Dajavude; 07/19/15 08:33 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
She must have reached her limit because she has just let me know that she and my stepson will be making their own arrangements for dinner tonight.

D
D

I would go and record the whole session taking care not to argue. Just to hear what the psychologist is recommending to her. But good thing that you get to hear Dr. Harley's opinion tomorrow.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Dajavude
She must have reached her limit because she has just let me know that she and my stepson will be making their own arrangements for dinner tonight.

When they came back she went straight to her bedroom and closed the door. Txt'd my daughter to ask her to come up and say goodnight!

Wow. I am getting the distinct impression that either my continued pursuing is distressing her or my assertion about there being someone else has her feeling guilty - she has literally avoided eye contact and any verbal communication since then.

I wish I could get some clear evidence one way or the other without risking causing more damage to any trust we still have. I can't bring myself to grab her phone as the time I would need to check it would mean I would get caught.

D
OP Offline
D
Just another coomunication thing.

I investigated the "fun run" event and emailed her two options we could together. I then enquired about accomodation for one event at a couples retreat near the event which is also the location of our first romantic weekend away when we were dating.

Confirmation of avalability came through which i forwarded to her with no response thus far.

D
OP Offline
D
Just another coomunication thing.

I investigated the "fun run" event and emailed her two options we could together. I then enquired about accomodation for one event at a couples retreat near the event which is also the location of our first romantic weekend away when we were dating.

Confirmation of avalability came through which i forwarded to her with no response thus far.

Rejected frown

G
G
I don't know your wife, so maybe I'm wrong on this one. I get the feeling the things you are doing to fill her love bank, aren't the things that make substantial deposits. If they do, then discard my advice.

I've been told that I'm very good at refusing or blocking love-bank deposits. Things like invitations to breakfast, fun events, dozens of roses - for me these things are easy to refuse or to dislike. They scream "I want you to like me!" and therefore it would not work for me if I didn't want that person to deposit. For me, it is way easier for someone to deposit if he meets my top emotional need than if he gives me ten dozens of roses.
As for meeting my emotional needs, I can't very well block those deposits.

Change your lovebusting habits, go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time. Maybe the first cup of coffee is worth more than an elaborate breakfast. Show interest in her child as much as in yours.

You mentioned this:
In her letter to me she said "In her heart she knows she has given all tat she is able"

The love busting things that I have done would be

- neglecting to put our marriage first
- not always fulfilling my household support tasks
- being disrespectful and not making her feel heard sometimes when we had a disagreement about something
- my waking time being much later than hers
- not being as supportive of family commitments as I should have been

It seems to me her unmet emotional needs are in the domestic department and family commitment. Change your habits so meeting her needs becoms a routine instead of a daily effort.

Because of the short time you were married when she wanted out, the impression I get is that she expected you to change into a perfect and committed husband after marrying. You didn't.
I am not sure there is an emotional affair (yet, but she's vulnerable to one). A PI could answer that question.

D
D
Did you talk with the Harleys?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by goody2shoes
I don't know your wife, so maybe I'm wrong on this one. I get the feeling the things you are doing to fill her love bank, aren't the things that make substantial deposits. If they do, then discard my advice.

I've been told that I'm very good at refusing or blocking love-bank deposits. Things like invitations to breakfast, fun events, dozens of roses - for me these things are easy to refuse or to dislike. They scream "I want you to like me!" and therefore it would not work for me if I didn't want that person to deposit. For me, it is way easier for someone to deposit if he meets my top emotional need than if he gives me ten dozens of roses.
As for meeting my emotional needs, I can't very well block those deposits.

Change your lovebusting habits, go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time. Maybe the first cup of coffee is worth more than an elaborate breakfast. Show interest in her child as much as in yours.

You mentioned this:
In her letter to me she said "In her heart she knows she has given all tat she is able"

The love busting things that I have done would be

- neglecting to put our marriage first
- not always fulfilling my household support tasks
- being disrespectful and not making her feel heard sometimes when we had a disagreement about something
- my waking time being much later than hers
- not being as supportive of family commitments as I should have been

It seems to me her unmet emotional needs are in the domestic department and family commitment. Change your habits so meeting her needs becoms a routine instead of a daily effort.

Because of the short time you were married when she wanted out, the impression I get is that she expected you to change into a perfect and committed husband after marrying. You didn't.
I am not sure there is an emotional affair (yet, but she's vulnerable to one). A PI could answer that question.
You make some good points.
Her no.1 need according to her is Time. She is avoiding spending any time in the same area as me as possible. Eg. We have had less than half dozen family meals since she decided to seperate. Yesterday i came home early to get dinner ready because she hadn't informed that she was having dinner at her female friends place like she has been doing, i got dinner cooking then found out from stepson she wasn't going to be home for dinner.

We did spend 4 hours in yard on sunday doing clean up repair jobs but she is making time spending very dificult.

Her next needs are affection, admiration, communication, family commitment, gifts. Household support.

I am doing all those as much as i can.

I have stopped all known LB behaviour, like, as you suggested, sleep patterns, i now go to bed 3 hours earlier. I have only responded without love to her once when I discovered her innapropriate emails from a few months ago. Other than that all my interactions have been based on love and understanding.

I have been exercising almost every day and have lost 6kg. I was pretty fit before anyway but had bit of a belly with love handles. I'm now looking much leaner.

The only real area i could make massive deposits in is my stepson. We share computers as an interest and I have introduced him to windsurfing.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Did you talk with the Harleys?

Yep, yesterday morning. Essentially confirming she is in withdrawal and I might have a small chance of changing her mind by focussing on making as many deposits before we physically separate as possible. He doubts there is any hope once that happens.

He recommended to keep persuing her on the basis that he has had many wives tell him that it was how hard the husband fought to keep her that won them over.

My wife has sincerely asked me to let her go and stop fighting to preserve good will between us and make the environment as comfortable for everyone as possible.

I am inlcined to follow Dr Harley's advice but to maybe tone it down a notch from daily invites to weekly ones.

M
M
He recommended to keep persuing her on the basis that he has had many wives tell him that it was how hard the husband fought to keep her that won them over.

That is what my wife has said. smile

I am inlcined to follow Dr Harley's advice but to maybe tone it down a notch from daily invites to weekly ones.

I wouldn't tone it down. You don't have time. And a married couple needs to connect daily. This is always annoying to a wife in withdrawal, but as long as you are not being demanding, disrespectful, or angry, keep it up.

If you want to succeed, don't take Dr. Harley's advice and add other ideas like toning it down and doing it less frequently!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by markos

That is what my wife has said. smile

I wouldn't tone it down. You don't have time. And a married couple needs to connect daily. This is always annoying to a wife in withdrawal, but as long as you are not being demanding, disrespectful, or angry, keep it up.

If you want to succeed, don't take Dr. Harley's advice and add other ideas like toning it down and doing it less frequently!

Okay. Sent txt inviting her on my run and suggested we could take turns checking out each others bottom.

D
OP Offline
D
I got back and she has txt me demanding i stop sending her invitations. She considers it is now harrassment.

Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation