Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24
M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Something you might consider is giving her 3-4 cranes a day for a year ... You'll make the affection lovebank deposits, but over time to show stability and commitment.

I think this would be a great way to show stability and affection over time.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Prisca
Something you might consider is giving her 3-4 cranes a day for a year ... You'll make the affection lovebank deposits, but over time to show stability and commitment.

I think this would be a great way to show stability and affection over time.

Markos did something very similar with me, except it was short love post-it notes left for me every morning.

It angered me at first, and I found it extremely frustrating. But the slow trickle of affection helped to break through my walls.

I think that you're right and the cranes will mean something to her. It's affection, one that meant something to her at one point. You won't be wasting time by doing them. But I do think you should consider dragging it out over time. Show her you're in this for the long haul.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

D
D
Originally Posted by Dajavude
Honestly, I am not finding your input helpful. You haven't read my post from start as you would know the answer to the last question. If you have some wisdom you would like to pass on I would really appreciate that. Criticising my efforts out of context to my story is not helpful to me.

Whoa there Dejavoodoo! laugh

Have you considered that this might be a great time to practice responding respectfully to a differing input or opinion? The way I interpreted it, Living Well was offering some suggestions to for you to consider.

If you are responding to your wife's opinions in the same way that you've responded to Living Well, you are likely wrecking your chances with your wife.

Here are the hidden lovebusters from your response to Living Well.

You were disagreeable.
Then you put LW in her place by telling her she was short info so her input couldn't possibly have merit.
Then you said she lacked wisdom.
Then you said you are not open to input (criticism) especially if it doesn't fit YOUR context.
You turned the conversation from an exchange into a debate.

The good news is that these love busting habits can be turned around and then you will be in an effective plan A. Of course you Will need to add courtesy and small acts of affection.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 07/29/15 01:10 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
Thankyou both for that fantastic suggestion. I am def going to do that. I am sure I can find her car near where she works so I can leave little boxes of them there. I could also post them to her work daily as well.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Honestly, I am not finding your input helpful. You haven't read my post from start as you would know the answer to the last question. If you have some wisdom you would like to pass on I would really appreciate that. Criticising my efforts out of context to my story is not helpful to me.

Have you considered that this might be a great time to practice responding respectfully to a differing input or opinion? The way I interpreted it, Living Well was offering some suggestions to for you to consider.

If are responding to your wife's opinions in the same way that you've responded to Living Well, you are likely wrecking your chances with your wife.

You were disagreeable.
Then you put LW in her place by telling her she was short info so her input couldn't possibly have merit.
Then you said you are not open to input (criticism) especially if it doesn't fit YOUR context.

The good news is that these love busting habits can be turned around and then you will be in an effective plan A. Of course you Will need to add courtesy and small acts of affection.

I am being honest. I am letting her know that her attempts to provide wisdom are not being communicated in a way that i can understand.

The alternative is for me to ignore people that seem intent on starting arguments.

Last edited by Dajavude; 07/29/15 01:10 PM.
D
D

If are responding to your wife's opinions in the same way that you've responded to Living Well, you are likely wrecking your chances with your wife.

You were disagreeable.

I am being honest. I am letting her know that her attempts to provide wisdom are not being communicated in a way that i can understand.

The alternative is for me to ignore people that seem intent on starting arguments.

I know that you are genuine and honest. That's why I shared my thoughts with you.

Would you please share What it is that you see as "starting an argument?"

Last edited by DidntQuit; 07/29/15 01:15 PM.
P
P
Livingwell was discouraging him from showing affection to his wife, and telling him that his effort was a complete waste of time. Her reasoning is that her exhusband's flowers did nothing for her.

If all that Dejavude did was make cranes for his wife, then yes, it would be a waste of time. But if done as part of a bigger plan, MB's Plan A, then it is a great effort to make.

Here is a post for you to consider, Dejavude. It helped markos:

Rocks in a River: You find yourself on the bank of a wide river. It is too wide to jump across, and yet you still need to cross it. What do you do? You start picking up rocks and throwing them into the river. (These rocks are each small affectionate thing you do for your W). For the first 499 rocks, you see the rock hit the water, and then it dissapears. These rocks are sinking and landing on the bottom of the river. Eventually you get to rock #500 and it hits the water and part of it is sticking up above the surface. You now realize you are getting somewhere. You can finally see progress. For the first 499 rocks, you knew they were stacking up, but you had no proof other than common sense telling you that they were building up. We have to approach our relationships now as if every piece of affection is one of those rocks. We will not see any progress until a number of rocks have been thrown. However, just because we are not seeing these first 499 rocks does not mean they are not having an impact. Believe that they are, because they are.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

D
OP Offline
D

You were disagreeable.

I know that you are genuine and honest. That's why I shared my thoughts with you.

Would you please share What it is that you see as "starting an argument?"

This

D
D
Okay. Thanks Prisca. I see that way of looking at it.

I also am adding that even if what she said didn't fit for him, it was an opportunity for him to brush up on his MB skills. Even if LW had been trying to start an argument, he could practice exploring LW's perspective by asking clarifying questions instead of engaging in the argument or debating.

What do you think about that idea, Dejavude?

Last edited by DidntQuit; 07/29/15 01:34 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
Okay. Thanks Prisca. I see that way of looking at it.

I also am adding that even if what she said didn't fit for him, it was an opportunity for him to brush up on his MB skills. Even if LW had been trying to start an argument, he could practice exploring LW's perspective by asking clarifying questions instead of engaging in the argument or debating.

What do you think about that idea, Dejavude?
I did that in my first response I believe

Actually, re-reading LW simply jumped into answer a clairfying question I asked of another point about cranes.

What I think is that most people have good intentions but sometimes the communication is not received, especially in absence of non-verbal ques, in the manner intended.

Last edited by Dajavude; 07/29/15 01:55 PM.
L
L
Originally Posted by living_well
[quote=Dajavude]
Do you think me folding 1000 cranes will have no effect and be a complete waste of time?

Complete waste of time. Your actions told your fianc�e that you did not care about the marriage and did not believe in the vows you were making.

That is still the case today and will be after 1000 cranes. She will just throw them away.

I feel that by doing this Paper Crane thing, you should ONLY be doing it for yourself.

What will her reaction be when she walks into the bedroom and sees them all hanging there now?

One very Strong possibility is she will freak out. Why in the Heck are you doing this chit now? Too Little Too Late, Buster!!!

Men seem to initially think that grandiose gestures will right the ship. Oh, how thoughtful of you!

NOT!!!

Why wasn't that involvement there when she needed you to be involved?

I really think it will create a new level of Coldness.

It is a combination of ALL Seemingly Small Things, done repetitively, over and over and over again, WITHOUT Any Love Busters.

Last edited by LearnedTooLate; 07/29/15 01:57 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
You are probably correct - it's all more than likely too late and a waste of time.

Last edited by Dajavude; 07/29/15 02:00 PM.
I
I
I want her to feel safe to return to the house.

He first husband didn't accept relationship ending and during a visit by her to their house to collect the boys she was tied up and badly injured in an assault where he eventually killed himself.

She is going to be hyper sensitive to any behaviour by me that suggests any kind of mental agitation or instability. Hence why my positive pursuit and affectionate overtures seemed like denial and agitated her.

Is pursuing her and having her never return to the house better ? My instinct tells me not. My instinct was to tone down my behavior the day she decided to leave but I was swayed by Marcos to never stop.

Marcos' enthusiasm and personal success is very persuasive.

I agree you shouldnt scare or come on heavy. But you have to weigh that against the fact all withdrawn wives find practically everything scary. Particularly successful needs meeting. Withdrawal is a wall to protect from the pain of expectations. Consistency is the only way for her to trust the change and to do that you have to get over the hump of being pushed away.

She should never feel she has no say about your attentions. If she asks you not to do x, stop. Switch to y instead. So if flowers bug her, switch to post it's. If texts bother her, change to email.

I actually find the crane idea beautifully romantic but she could easily freak at it if it happens all at once. I like Markos' ideas of them being little and often. Maybe you could even write notes inside. Just light stuff like maybe a joke.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
L
You are probably correct - it's all more than likely too late and a waste of time.

Actually, after seeing other opinions expressed with proper rational, I now am leaning towards the dually proposed minimized, yet consistent Daily gestures that both Marcos and Prisca expressed.

In THEIR variation, it is NOT Just One Big Grand Gesture.

It is showing consistency, WITHOUT being a ONE AND DONE gesture.

I like it.

Now, WHAT DR. HARLEY BOOKS HAVE YOU READ SO FAR, COMPLETELY, FROM FRONT COVER TO THE BACK?

You have avoided answering that question directly posted to you 2-3 times already.

LTL

P.S.
I have read your entire topic thread from Beginning to End.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by LearnedTooLate

Actually, after seeing other opinions expressed with proper rational, I now am leaning towards the dually proposed minimized, yet consistent Daily gestures that both Marcos and Prisca expressed.

It is showing consistency, WITHOUT being a ONE AND DONE gesture.

I like it.

Now, WHAT DR. HARLEY BOOKS HAVE YOU READ SO FAR, COMPLETELY, FROM FRONT COVER TO THE BACK?

You have avoided answering that question directly posted to you 2-3 times already.

LTL

P.S.
Not very well then. I am not sure why my answering a question that I have answered before is relevent but just out of generosity of spirit, Love busters, his needs her needs, surviving an affair.

FYI if you yell at me again I'll just ignore any further input you provide.

Last edited by Dajavude; 07/29/15 02:35 PM.
I
I
I don't know if this helps your ideas mill at all, but one of the best affection gestures I've had was when I told my boyfriend I hated going into my empty house alone after dark. He fitted up timer lights so I never walk into a dark house. Even months later I smile to myself when they come on. It's crazy but I feel cared for and protected. Of course it wouldn't work if there wasn't general consistency from him in other ways too.

Part of it is that its part of my day, I experience it over and over again even though his effort was just the one time. The love bank (or rocks in the river) are not based on how often you do something, but how often she experiences it.

I know a friend who bought a tapestry her husband doesn't like. She sees this as a one time lovebuster, but because he sees it every day, it's a daily one.

M
M

I think often we have guys here show up wanting to know the one thing they can do to turn that around. They brainstorm that idea, ask people what they think of it, and then do that one thing.

And it doesn't work because the Love Bank requires a lot more deposits than that.

As a part of a complete Plan A (meet emotional needs and avoid love busters), I think this gesture is fantastic. There's a good chance it'll make love bank deposits (DV is the best judge of that that we have here), and it won't make love bank withdrawals in his wife's account in his love bank for him to do it (in other words, it's not a sacrifice). The only way to make it better is to turn it into a frequent occurrence.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
P.S.
Not very well then. I am not sure why my answering a question that I have answered before is relevent but just out of generosity of spirit, Love busters, his needs her needs, surviving an affair.

Keep in mind the people helping you are volunteers giving their own time. It's quite easy to read a thread carefully and still completely miss certain details. Sometimes it's best when the answers are provided as succinctly as possible so they can be spotted, and even then sometimes they can still be missed.

Try reading someone else's thread and keeping track of all the details. smile

D
D
Keep in mind the people helping you are volunteers giving their own time. It's quite easy to read a thread carefully and still completely miss certain details. Sometimes it's best when the answers are provided as succinctly as possible so they can be spotted, and even then sometimes they can still be missed.

Try reading someone else's thread and keeping track of all the details. smile

Which it looks like I did miss some of the details...reading on my phone. I honed in on one response and it's tone.

Sorry Dejavoodoo.

And I like the idea of the paper crane. But based on the past, expect it to bring both positive and negative emotions up for her. It will remind her of a negative experience and will hopefully give her the message of humility, affection, and change.

I
I
And it doesn't work because the Love Bank requires a lot more deposits than that.

Worth keeping in mind that it takes longer to build up deposits than it does to break them down.

Like how it's easier to spend money than build savings.

But she doesn't even have to willingly accept them for it to work. Just because it's not visible to you, or even to her yet, doesn't mean those rocks aren't piling up.

Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation