Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 54 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 53 54
B
B
Congratulations.

Are you still in Plan B with your WXH?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
J
At this point, the best advice i can offer is to avoid sexual relations with this man. Dr. Harley has explained on his Radio Show that based on his observation of counseling more than 50,000 couples that women sometimes after divorce get swept away by a new romantic interest and kind of allow the man to take over. This is particularly concerning when there are young children in the home but since your son does not live with you that aspect may not be a main issue. However, the scenario is exasperated if the couple have sex because the female develops an emotional bond and does not always rationally consider all aspects of the relationship.

Throughout my personal observations on the forum, it seems that after a woman is divorced they quickly jump into dating, often immediately after divorce. Harley does not advocate this but it seems their emotional need to be loved by a man trumps his cautions. Men on the otherhand seem to delay dating while getting their lives in order.

I
I
Jedi it sounds like this is a general recollection, but do you have any links or remember a specific show? I just find some of these points very interesting.

Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
women sometimes after divorce get swept away by a new romantic interest and kind of allow the man to take over.

Do you mean the new husband takes over from the ex? There's no contact with exes anyway as I understand it. I'm not sure how a boyfriend could take over a household he wasn't part of.

Or do you mean he takes over the woman so she has no say in decisions? Surely PoJA would prevent that. If he wasn't living with her decisions would be limited to restaurants anyway.

One of the reason I'm so interested is I certainly see a lot of problems with mum's boyfriends in schools, theyre much more visible issues than dads girlfriends, because custody tends to be with mum. But these tend to be live in boyfriends. I'd also bet my hat that lots are the OM.

Sorry to TJ Rock!

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

P
P
This is just an anecdote that has no basis in fact. Women are slightly less likely to remarry after divorce (at least in the population over 45).

https://www.nationalparentsorganization.org/blog/19345-why-are-men-more-lik

Also an anecdote that may or may not have any basis in fact: it seems that it's harder to divorce a WH than a WW. The WH's I've seen on this board rarely file for divorce and when they do, they drag out the divorce proceedings or don't lift a finger to settle anything. Many women have been in Plan B for a year or more by the time the ink is dry. For many women, they wait so long to date anyway, its not like they go straight from a regular marriage to a new boyfriend right away, but have been alone for a considerable period of time before they date-sometimes up to 5 or 6 years.

That said, it is tempting to go after the first positive attention you receive in that situation, especially when your last recollection of a romantic partner was someone who was cheating on you, abusing you and gaslighting you. So, yes, proceed with caution, especially if you have kids.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
I
I
I've heard Dr Harley say something similar to that therapist about a woman's support network. He says single women do really well and thrive typically. But I don't know about whether they typically decide to do that.

I know quite a few older ladies who are determined and permanent non-daters and very happy. However they did have some unhappy dating experiences soon after divorce. The really typically obvious user type men. It's well worth reiterating and you can see how it could happen without MB advice.

N
N
Even with MB advice, considering new actions and taking new actions are two different things!

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
J
J
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Jedi it sounds like this is a general recollection, but do you have any links or remember a specific show? I just find some of these points very interesting.

women sometimes after divorce get swept away by a new romantic interest and kind of allow the man to take over.

Do you mean the new husband takes over from the ex? There's no contact with exes anyway as I understand it. I'm not sure how a boyfriend could take over a household he wasn't part of.

Or do you mean he takes over the woman so she has no say in decisions? Surely PoJA would prevent that. If he wasn't living with her decisions would be limited to restaurants anyway.

One of the reason I'm so interested is I certainly see a lot of problems with mum's boyfriends in schools, theyre much more visible issues than dads girlfriends, because custody tends to be with mum. But these tend to be live in boyfriends. I'd also bet my hat that lots are the OM.

Sorry to TJ Rock!

Regarding the new boyfriend kind of taking over, HArley addressed this when i was on his radio show around Dec 2012.
Someone may be able to post a link to the show.
On the show, Harley explains this is one of the main concerns he has with single moms dating after divorce.
Also, he often tells single moms to wait until the kids are grown before remarriage. He told poster Jennifer Voyager this also.

I
I
Thanks Jedi smile

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
I
BH, you're such a legend!

B
B
Originally Posted by indiegirl
BH, you're such a legend!
blush

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

P
P
I'm unclear if Dr. Harley's advice to single mothers is not to date at all or not to remarry. Some of the single moms on this board date, but will not get married. But of that's the case, why date? At some point dating will lead to sex, etc.

M
M
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
I'm unclear if Dr. Harley's advice to single mothers is not to date at all or not to remarry. Some of the single moms on this board date, but will not get married. But of that's the case, why date? At some point dating will lead to sex, etc.

I think Dr. Harley's exact advice to single moms requires a bit of finesse for each individual situation. In general I think his big concern is to not introduce a man to the children's lives because he will tend to take over. The typical pattern is the Renter pattern where the guy moves in with no commitment, which is extremely harmful to children and extraordinarily risky.

BTW, dating didn't always automatically lead to sex. That's a new modern phenomenon. But I think the big concern Dr. Harley expresses is not about sex but about moving a man in.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
One particular observation Dr. Harley has made is that women really do tend to do just fine on their own without a man in their lives. He's usually dealing with women who feel like this is not the case, and trying to persuade them that they don't need to "find someone" with urgency.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I get the man moving in thing. I would never live with a man before marriage (I did not with STBX, but he never asked anyway. He knew I would not live with him) and now I would never engage in permarital sex (I did with my STBX and that was a disaster).

I have to say, I probably won't abstain from dating and I'd ideally like to get married again. But I would absolutely NOT introduce my kid to a man unless he was dead serious about getting married.

We'll see. In any case, I would rather stay single than marry a low quality man or a renter again. I was thinking the other day that if I met my WH today, I wouldn't even go on a date with him. He uses vulgar language now (or at least he did before I went into Plan B), he no longer goes to church, etc. I suppose the affair changed him and caused extreme incompatibility.

M
M
In general for singles Dr. Harley recommends dating several people. He's made the statement that by the time you have dated 30 people you'll probably have found somebody decent. I think when people tie themselves down to the first or second person they date they often end up trying to become a Buyer much sooner than is advisable, with someone who may never be willing to become a Buyer. Dating several people (and not even introducing them to your children) sounds like a great way to avoid becoming too invested too early.

BTW, this would be a great thing to talk to Dr. Harley about. Frankly I think we could use more radio shows out there with Dr. Harley's advice to single people, for reference.

P
P
I'll be emailing Dr. Harley when I am officially single, which is still going to take a while since I live in CA.

S
S
This is particularly concerning when there are young children in the home but since your son does not live with you that aspect may not be a main issue.

What? I thought she had shared custody with her ex.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet

We posted a lot of clips regarding dating for single moms and remarriage for you on the other thread. I know in at least one of those clips Dr Harley said the danger with dating is that it will lead to remarriage.

Outside of that warning (and the warnings against remarriage for a single mom - high 2nd divorce rate, troubled marriage putting stress on the child who is already traumatized from the first divorce, risking adding a lot more problems into your life than if you just stayed single, etc) I haven't ever heard him say he is strongly opposed to dating for a single mom. I have heard him giving a a single mom dating advice that was along the lines of - keep the children and dating life separate and to focus on friendship with men.

I am not sure why you think dating must lead to sex or marriage. I have done a lot of casual dating - I have a handful of friends that I still talk to/am FB friends thru dating. But I am not dating for marriage and dating is not a priority for me....my kids are.
If you WANT to get married, then I can see dating being more dangerous for you and perhpas you should stay away from it entirely ?

Definitely agree that you should write in to Dr Harley and get his thoughts on it.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Originally Posted by markos
One particular observation Dr. Harley has made is that women really do tend to do just fine on their own without a man in their lives. He's usually dealing with women who feel like this is not the case, and trying to persuade them that they don't need to "find someone" with urgency.

Yes! I have heard him say this more than once.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Page 49 of 54 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 53 54

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 667 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation