Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 67 of 74 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 73 74
U
U
Originally Posted by doesnt_want_me
Originally Posted by Remark
Originally Posted by unwritten
When you cannot POJA an issue, the default is *do nothing*. Driving to your hometown to get dental work done by a family member, is the opposite of doing nothing.

Right now when the house is on fire, going to your brother for dental work is like throwing gasoline around. Why would you do that when this is specifically a hot issue?

unwritten,

Well, because (1) we're living separate lives per her wishes (2) it saves me big $$$ (3) I'd see my aging father at the same time (4) I love these people (5) It's my adopted home town that I enjoy (5) There is some furniture I am supposed to get for myself and a daughter who just bought a house, and I forgot the main reason, (6) I have two bad teeth [physical pain] that I've done nothing about for many months.

Thanks,
Remark

These are all excuses to justify doing something that you know will hurt JD2D. Are all of these things worth losing your marriage for?

x2

U
U
When you cannot POJA an issue, the default is *do nothing*. Driving to your hometown to get dental work done by a family member, is the opposite of doing nothing.

Right now when the house is on fire, going to your brother for dental work is like throwing gasoline around. Why would you do that when this is specifically a hot issue?

unwritten,

Well, because (1) we're living separate lives per her wishes (2) it saves me big $$$ (3) I'd see my aging father at the same time (4) I love these people (5) It's my adopted home town that I enjoy (5) There is some furniture I am supposed to get for myself and a daughter who just bought a house, and I forgot the main reason, (6) I have two bad teeth [physical pain] that I've done nothing about for many months.

Thanks,
Remark

1. She wanted to separate and now I am going to just do as I darn well please. She can't complain because she is the one who wanted this!
2. Money is more important than my wife's happiness or my marriage's success. And I have NO idea how much divorce will cost, I think saving some bucks on dental work is actually a more financially sound decision than saving my marriage.
3. Despite the many, many MANY conversations about not seeing my family, I am just going to go ahead and do it any way. Because that is more important than my marriage.
4. I love these people more than I love my wife.
5. I actually put my wife's happiness so far down the totem pole, I am going to do something that I know will hurt her FOR FURNITURE.
6. Even though there are numerous dentists I could get my dental work done with, I am going to choose the one dentist that will further damage my marriage and hurt my wife.

doh2

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

unwritten,

Thanks,
Remark

1. She wanted to separate and now I am going to just do as I darn well please. She can't complain because she is the one who wanted this!
2. Money is more important than my wife's happiness or my marriage's success. And I have NO idea how much divorce will cost, I think saving some bucks on dental work is actually a more financially sound decision than saving my marriage.
3. Despite the many, many MANY conversations about not seeing my family, I am just going to go ahead and do it any way. Because that is more important than my marriage.
4. I love these people more than I love my wife.
5. I actually put my wife's happiness so far down the totem pole, I am going to do something that I know will hurt her FOR FURNITURE.
6. Even though there are numerous dentists I could get my dental work done with, I am going to choose the one dentist that will further damage my marriage and hurt my wife.

doh2

OK, unwritten, I hear your point.

I just don't see where/why it has to be either/or situation.

Where does my agreement, let alone enthusiastic agreement come into play in any of this? (Recall, I've been relatively enthusiastic for 5-8 years. So that affects my current perspective and enthusiasm.)

Thanks,
Remark

Last edited by Remark; 08/04/15 09:55 AM.
D
D
Remark,

Do you understand that the action you are talking about hurts your wife? If your spouse asks you to stop doing something that hurts her/him, which leads to further damage to your marriage, you do not need to be enthusiastic about discontinuing the behavior.

If you were hitting her in the head and she asked you to stop, would you be asking them same question about being enthusiastic? That is basically what you are doing, except that every time you talk to, talk about talking to or seeing your family, or try to convince her you are right and she is wrong regarding your family, you are hitting her in the love bank. Every time you do it I can all but guarantee she is thinking something along the lines of, "I'm not first in his life, I'm never going to be first in his life, he loves his family more than he will ever love me, why am I with someone who will never put me first?" Do you want her to stop feeling that way?

You can worry about an enthusiastic agreement regarding your family after you have filled her love bank to the romantic love threshold, and she is feeling safe and secure in her #1 position in your life.

BW - 32
WH - 46
D day 3/27/16
G
G
You've probably read most articles on POJA, but it can't hurt to read them again.
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5027_qa.html
The Policy of Joint Agreement represents a willingness of both spouses to put each other first in all of the decisions they make. It is a recognition of the fact that unless their marriage is successful, nothing else they do will matter much, so they give each other veto power over all their actions, including relationships with their mothers.

But following the Policy of Joint Agreement does not mean that your husband will abandon the interests of his mother. In fact, when people follow the policy, their other interests and priorities are usually pursued vigorously. It's just that they are pursued in a way that is not in conflict with the interests of a spouse. If you put your spouse first in life, all your other interests usually flourish. If you put any interest between you and your spouse, not only will it ruin your marriage, but the divisive interest will usually suffer as well.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
g2s,

What you said makes sense, and reconciles to my experience.
And, yes, I've read much ( I think all ) on POJA that there is on the forum.

Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
OK, I understand that, too.

I just don't get how people can 'abandon family members like that.

Meanwhile, W and I have had this exchange all morning, and she asked me to post it. (The following is just part of it.)

Remark (H): Scaling them back out of our lives.
JD2D (W): What complaint of mine did this address?
Remark: From my perspective, it minimized your discomfort, short of not seeing them altogether.
JD2D: How are YOU able to evaluate MY discomfort?

Remark: Certainly not talking about you the way I did prior to 8 years ago.
JD2D: Completely unrelated to how much/how often you see/talk to them.

JD2D: What problem are you addressing by seeing them less?has changed in that 5-8 years)
Remark: Not doing all of the traveling and expense.
JD2D: What traveling/expense did they incur the last 8 years, such that we weren't incurring all of it?
Remark: Well, they incur cost when they hosted (food) . They did come down here for our daughter's wedding.

Remark: Not putting you through all of that discomfort and trauma.
JD2D: So "discomfort and trauma" is fine on a lesser scale? Remark: Sure. If I don�t like to garden, gardening less is certainly an appealing alternative. If you don�t like something, isn�t doing it less a viable alternative?

JD2D: Please post this simple exchange (the prior three sentences, and perhaps explaining that this is why "less" is your solution) on the forum. I can't teach you what's wrong with this philosophy.

D
D
OK, I understand that, too.

Meanwhile, W and I have had this exchange all morning, and she asked me to post it. (The following is just part of it.)

Remark (H): Scaling them back out of our lives.
JD2D (W): What complaint of mine did this address?
Remark: From my perspective, it minimized your discomfort, short of not seeing them altogether.
JD2D: How are YOU able to evaluate MY discomfort?

Remark: Certainly not talking about you the way I did prior to 8 years ago.
JD2D: Completely unrelated to how much/how often you see/talk to them.

JD2D: What problem are you addressing by seeing them less?has changed in that 5-8 years)
Remark: Not doing all of the traveling and expense.
JD2D: What traveling/expense did they incur the last 8 years, such that we weren't incurring all of it?
Remark: Well, they incur cost when they hosted (food) . They did come down here for our daughter's wedding.

Remark: Not putting you through all of that discomfort and trauma.
JD2D: So "discomfort and trauma" is fine on a lesser scale? Remark: Sure. If I don�t like to garden, gardening less is certainly an appealing alternative. If you don�t like something, isn�t doing it less a viable alternative?

JD2D: Please post this simple exchange (the prior three sentences, and perhaps explaining that this is why "less" is your solution) on the forum. I can't teach you what's wrong with this philosophy.

So, instead of just stopping the behavior, you have decided you will continue to hurt her by trying to convince her to accept what you know will cause "trauma and discomfort".
You have just said to her "I don't care that it causes you pain, and you should be ok with it because it is not as much pain as I could be inflicting on you

BW - 32
WH - 46
D day 3/27/16
P
P
If I was hitting you in the foot with a hammer every 5 seconds, but switched it to every 15 seconds, would that be an okay alternative for you or would you still have a bruised sore foot? Asking the one you love to endure pain for your profit is called sacrifice.

I agree that the LB need to stop, but you also need to try putting in deposits....I believe Marcos use to leave sweet post it notes even when she ripped them up.

M
M

Remark, we've been over and over this with you.

Even if you feel this way, don't express it if you want to keep your marriage, because it's disrespectful to your wife. It's that simple.

You don't have to get it. Just keep your mouth shut and do what needs to be done if you want your marriage.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

The family members are fine. They are grown and can and should take care of themselves. It's easy. And if they want to continue the relationship instead, they can stop being disrespectful jerks. It's easy!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
Remark,

the problem I see, which makes me think unnice thoughts about you, is, that you have spent last month with acquaintances/family members who happened to be in town, spent time totally without urgence renovating the appartment. You have spent hours and hours on things that do not matter in the long run, while your wife is divorcing you because of neglect and a wrecked marriage.

You have spent no time on luring your wife into nice outings with you and to top it off, where not only planning to visit your brother, but have also been planning to drive for hours to visit your family and spend time with them and hacked out a plan for furniture for your wicked bachelor pad.

In my opinion (DJ coming right there), based on results, you have no intention of saving your marriage or you would.
You don't want to.
I do not respect that and the only reason I can think of, is that you have alternative future plans.

me, DH
all the children
H
H
I'm saying it again, if someone would be paying you a billion dollars to save your marriage, you would have been able to find some time with her.

me, DH
all the children
A
A
Originally Posted by apples123
On that call JD2D perceived I was forlorn to do POJA and follow the Harley program. She asked why. So, I told her that I was forlorn sounding because I have a dentist appointment with my brother because of a broken tooth and that reminded me of my family being an issue for her.

I saddens me to think that I she's not comfortable with them and we can't all can't coexist.

She doesn't believe that and is now arguing with why I was feeling forlorn.

How do we find POJA on an issue like this?

Remark

Can you find the disrespectful judgment in your statements?
Apples,
No I can't.
Here's the exchange we had:
Remark:OK, how do we explore that? The only unappealing part of it revolves around my extended family. I can live without golf, softball, etc. Living with someone who is so distant is unappealing to me. Yes, the past several years with you depresses me. I aspire to better.
I want to be connected such that we share thoughts, dreams, miscellaneous conversation, with ease and without fear of judgment or criticism. Who wouldn�t that depress? I�m sure that depresses you as well.

But, you and he have convinced me that, perhaps, I am getting the cart before the horse. What more is there to explore?

JD2D:
You're not being honest.

We barely discussed your family on the call. Nor did we discuss the last several years. Therefore, your forlorn response to his suggestions had nothing to do with your family or the last several years.

I felt like the DJ was coming from her telling me (1) I was being honest, when I most certainly was and (2) telling me my feelings which is something I'm always accused of telling her how hers are wrong.

Shoot! This whole exchange started because I sincerely need help from the forum on how to find POJA on an issue where his position makes her extremely unhappy and her position makes him extremely unhappy? It's like being pregnant or having sex. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. At least with my family issue, seeing them less, or them coming down here instead of us going up there most all of the time, seem like alternatives to me that might satisfy both spouses.
I'm not saying or thinking she is an unreasonable cow. But, apparently, I come across as an unreasonable bull.

Remark

Blah, blah, blah fix my wife so I can do whatever I want.

(Your very first post all over again)

H
H
deafening silence on the Remark front...

me, DH
all the children
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
No good news, no successes to report. Only failures.
Thanks, Remark

H
H
Failures are learning experiences. Every failure is on step closer to succes if you keep at it.

People who do nothing wrong are probably doing kust that: nothing.
Tell us about the attractive, cannot refuse, date proposals you made to your wife.

me, DH
all the children
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What can I do to improve my communication and communication endurance skills? JD2D can spend entire days sitting in front of each other and have nothing productive come of it. I'm thinking I need to re-read (and apply) the chapter in He Winds, She Wins on negotiation skills.

And, that was not an indictment against JD2D. It was statement of fact and I know I am at least 50% of that equation.

Remark

Last edited by Remark; 08/11/15 07:18 AM.
G
G
What would you like to communicate to your wife? Your non-verbal communication has told your wife that spending time with your family is more important than your marriage. With that in mind, reading "He wins, She wins" might be a very good read (even if you only read the title).

Last edited by goody2shoes; 08/11/15 07:36 AM. Reason: typo
H
H
You don't have to negotiate anything with her, she is divorcing you.
The only chance you have to be anything to her in the future is to win her back first. Make love bank deposits first and spend enjoyable time together without talking about problems first.
After you have fallen in love again, you can think about negotiating.

me, DH
all the children
Page 67 of 74 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation