Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
Originally Posted by IntuitionGMH
I don't think he really gets the brevity of the situation.

And he never will as long as you protect his secret. You enable him by keeping the secret. He won't get the gravity of this situation until you bring it out into the open and hold him accountable. You harm him by keeping the secret.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
So, we had a few nice days between D day Nov 21 and the call to end the affair Nov 27. Since the [censored] Meet UP text came Nov 28...my WH has been depressed and barely talks to me. I finally asked him about things today...why is he behaving this way? Today I also got a lot of feedback from this blog about needing to do the exposure. I have only confided in my sister.

He is depressed because he lost the 2 greatest loves of his life: the OW and alcohol.

And is he is lying about the Meet Up text. He has likely been hooking with women there. But you can make an appointment for a polygraoh and give him the opportunity to clear himself.

Are you having the PI tail him? Because it sounds like he has led a very, very secret 2nd life for years.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
He said not to follow the MB typical information as everyone is different and labels don't fit everyone the same. I guess he doesn't like being called the WS..he is just a man whose physical needs were not met and he did what anyone would do to ensure he was looked after.

GMH, your marriage can be saved if you will change your focus. Your focus is on the irrrational rantings of a wayward husband when it should be on recovery. The comment above is particularly insane given that your H has no earthly idea how to save marriages. He only knows how to wreck them.

You have a small chance at saving your marriage if you can follow the advice here. If you won't follow the advice, then I view this as a hopeless case.

Your best chance is to expose the affair wide and far just as we instructed. That is the only hope.

The OW was my best friend and her husband is our best friend too.

You are not his friends. Your husband has been stabbing him in the back for years. Dont' become an accessory to his crime by helping your H trick him.

Ok, I will do it. I will expose this to the OW husband. That is as far as I will go tho. Thank you...you are right that I am listening to useless rantings from a desperate man who only knows how to wreck a marriage. You are absolutely right. My WH and his OW have ruthlessly stabbed us in the back for years and now have to face the music. Thinking back over the last 15 years of our marriage, it really hasn't been great...Very little support from him on any issues... I do love him but perhaps it is time for me to fly...Thank you...I will post after it is done. He has a friend visiting for the week so I may wait til he goes home , then expose...just a few more days....I know he has been wondering why our relationship has cooled. I need to get back to my moral high ground...something my WH just scorned me for....GAWD....it is so necessary to have an objective observer. Thank you again.

Love ME now.
A
A
You need to tell everyone . then they can help him discover how awful he is. You can focus on the recovery.

he is right about 1 thing. You should not Wake him up to discuss problems. Nothing good happens after 10 pm

I
I
Originally Posted by apples123
You need to tell everyone . then they can help him discover how awful he is. You can focus on the recovery.

he is right about 1 thing. You should not Wake him up to discuss problems. m

I'd say he doesn't have time to discuss anything anyway. He does your conditions, he does not discuss them. He has an awful lot of making up to do and no time to flap his gums or have any opinions on the matter.

The best thing for his depression is to get going making a worthy life he isn't ashamed of.

. I guess he doesn't like being called the WS..he is just a man whose physical needs were not met and he did what anyone would do to ensure he was looked after.

This is why you don't discuss the affair. He has nothing to offer but very poor excuses which will only encourage you to believe him a hopeless case who will hump table legs if you so much as turn your back. Exhausting!

I would encourage him into more doing, less talking. More checklist, less excuses. More future, less past. More Former Wayward Spouse who is open and protects. Less WS who blameshifts.

"I'm not impressed when I hear the excuses you made to yourself back then brought into the present when all that should be over. I want to see a completed checklist giving me renewed hope for our future. Talk does not impress me"

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Ok, I will do it. I will expose this to the OW husband. That is as far as I will go tho. .

Then your exposure will not work. Limited, timid exposure does not work.

Your husband needs to see you have a zero tolerance for his secret second life. That any time he attempts it, you will tell the world all about it. You will ask everyone to keep both eyes on him.

He is counting on you to take all the responsibility upon yourself, to tire yourself. That will give him plenty of opportunity to sneak back to his secret second life once you are worn out with holding him accountable all by yourself.

Your husband doesn't want you to get any help with this. He doesn't want to consider how very unacceptable everyone will find this (it's perfectly acceptable when no one knows).

But more than anything he wants you to behave embarrassed, and ashamed, like you are the guilty one. (His classic line was telling you only to confide in a therapist as though you are ill. You do not need therapy, you need a lot of watchfulness and for him to QUIT it!) A lot of his fantasy rests upon blaming you, and treating you like an unreasonable wife.

If you are unashamed, brave, proactive in asking for help and have zero tolerance for his secret, for the hidden evil world he moves in,you will cure that mind set forever.

There is no other way. You either approve and condone his secret life or you expose it.

One way continues it, the other way ends it.

Your husbands reaction to exposure is a very important sign of how recovery will go. If he has any conscience left he will be very ashamed and embarrassed. If he has any of the right stuff in him he will start working towards a better reputation.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/06/15 07:23 AM.

M
M
he is right about 1 thing. You should not Wake him up to discuss problems. Nothing good happens after 10 pm
Limiting discussion in night time is not MB advice, but a personal opinion. While one should avoid love busters, that doesn't mean giving waywards free passes to use for stonewalling. I know people are functioning just fine after 10 pm. It is not beyond this guy to use any excuse, so I would not call waking him up a mistake without better understanding the full context.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
I
I
Is there some reason you feel duty bound to help your husband do scuzzy things by automatically covering it up for him?

Do you think he expects/takes for granted your help in keeping his SSL secret?

It's not part of any vows I ever heard. I would blow up this SSL and assure your husband he should have known you would never help keep such things secret.

Dr H says affairs would never happen if people expected exposure immediately afterwards.

T
T
First big mistake is you did not read melody's guide to exposure.

If you did you would of not warned your WH that you are going to expose the affair.

Second big mistake is that you are not doing the exposure today. To delay exposing is only going to comeback to hurt you.

A
A
Originally Posted by mrEureka
Limiting discussion in night time is not MB advice, but a personal opinion. While one should avoid love busters, that doesn't mean giving waywards free passes to use for stonewalling. I know people are functioning just fine after 10 pm. It is not beyond this guy to use any excuse, so I would not call waking him up a mistake without better understanding the full context.

At 3am to tell at him?

I
OP Offline
I
Also don't believe any thing she said about her H. Cheaters lie.
hmmmm...yes, the OW told me her husband slept with her best friend...maybe that was just a "decoy" so if I ever found out about her affair with my WH, i would have empathy...interesting ....thanks.i will consider that statement a LIE cause yes, she is full of them!!

Love ME now.
M
M
Ok, I will do it. I will expose this to the OW husband. That is as far as I will go tho.

That is a good first step! But you can't stop there. Don't be an enabler by keeping the affair a secret because your marriage won't survive. This is a very long term affair and it will take a major exposure to kill it. You must also make sure that they never run into each other again unless you want to deal with an on again, off again affair for years to come. Do you?

Exposure is the most therapeutic thing you can do for them and for your marriage. Here are the words of Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders:

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."
here

Exposure 101

M
M
Thinking back over the last 15 years of our marriage, it really hasn't been great...Very little support from him on any issues... I do love him but perhaps it is time for me to fly..

Time to fly?? I am not suggesting that you leave! Your plan will result in the death of your marriage because your H will not change by enabling him and sweeping this under the rug. The plan I am suggesting is designed to give you the best chance to SAVE your marriage.

Do you want to save your marriage?

Exposure 101

M
M
He has a friend visiting for the week so I may wait til he goes home , then expose...just a few more days....I know he has been wondering why our relationship has cooled.

Today would be an IDEAL time to expose. The OW husband has a friend visisting and this friend can give him support.

Exposure 101

T
T
She asked herself, on the previous page, if she really wanted to save the marriage. Either "yes" or "no" is a reasonable answer to that. I believe Dr. Hartley would say the same. But from a 67-year-old woman to a 64-year-old, let me ask you to think about this: How do you want to spend the rest of your life? Maybe it's just those 3 extra years I have on you, but I would not have it in me to be the enforcer, the shepherd, the investigator, the one at fault (not true, but it's a hard label to live with)...and if you don't have it in you, either, it's not because there's something wrong with YOU!

tl

M
M
She asked herself, on the previous page, if she really wanted to save the marriage. Either "yes" or "no" is a reasonable answer to that. I believe Dr. Hartley would say the same. But from a 67-year-old woman to a 64-year-old, let me ask you to think about this: How do you want to spend the rest of your life? Maybe it's just those 3 extra years I have on you, but I would not have it in me to be the enforcer, the shepherd, the investigator, the one at fault (not true, but it's a hard label to live with)...and if you don't have it in you, either, it's not because there's something wrong with YOU!

The reason she is suggesting "flying" is because she is under the false impression that exposure will end her marriage when it is the opposite.

No one would fault her if she left the marriage, but she clearly stated she WANTED to save this marriage on the previous page; that is why she is here:
Thank you. I do want to try my best to turn this around and have a better marriage cause we have always had issues about communicating.
Dr. Harley [not "Hartley"] would certainly want to help her if she chose to save the marriage and she has expressed her desire to save it.

This program does not require her to become an "enforcer, the shepherd, the investigator, the one at fault;" it offers a program that creates a great marriage if done together. If the WS does not get on board, then separation is advised. Within 3 weeks!

Even so, whether or not she decides to save it, the exposure steps are the same. The affair is still exposed.

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Good morning friends,

I have slept on my conversation with WH yesterday where he told me what was wrong with me that i didn't have an affair cause my needs were not met.
he hadn't been talking to me since i confronted him about the hook up text record at 3am..he thought i was over the top
he has quit drinking and needs my support
he said he is so depressed he thinks about killing himself
he said he will start working on the marriage when he is ready but needs more time
he said he doesn't know why we should be together

sooooo.this is where i am at this morning:

i will do the exposure to the OWH
i am going to reiterate to him that he needs inpatient treatment...(he reminds me of my friend's husband who went to jail for child molestation and continued to say it was the child's fault..that is when my friend finally divorced him)

my question to you is:

our 15 year marriage has never been great....it is always my fault tho he is seeing his part of the problems early on now...he has left 2 wives and cheated on a long term girlfriend before me. he is 71 yrs old and figures he has 10 good years left and wants to be happy.

before outing him to his 3 adult kids (one of whom is a serial cheater)just like good old dad,

i assume the exposure will kill any chance of us staying together soo....with that in mind
do i just tell him i want a divorce now and let him keep his dirty little secret.....that way he is happy and maintains his illusion of being a great upstanding guy.

quite frankly, i don;t think our marriage has a hope in HELL....and I don't need to expose him to get back at him.....for revenge or anything. at this point in his life i really don't think he wants to change. he just wants to be happy,this rebuild takes minimum 2 years from what i can tell on this MB site!! (BTW, during this time he had another gal on the hook on FB......her husband is sick with cancer right now but he managed to send her a message saying the only thing missing from his hike a few weeks ago was Her.....not a word about her sick husband...I have banned him from seeing her as well....)

i am going golfing now and i am looking forward to hearing your very excellent comments. this forum is absolutely amazing....your comments are becoming my guide and keeping me sane.

thank you for your support...i am beginning to see the light.

Love ME now.
A
A
Exposure has nothing to do with revenge. If you want to be married, you will need to follow the steps outlined previously. If you want to divorce him, then do so. But there still needs to be exposure of the infidelity, significantly to OWH and the adult children.

Why are you having such a problem in recognizing this? Were either of you married to other people when you met? Is this a 15 year affairage? Just asking....

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
i assume the exposure will kill any chance of us staying together soo....with that in mind
do i just tell him i want a divorce now and let him keep his dirty little secret.....that way he is happy and maintains his illusion of being a great upstanding guy.

No, it is the opposite, NOT EXPOSING will kill any chance of you staying together. You WILL end up divorced if you help hide his secrets. Keeping his secret for him and his OW only serves to enable the affair because it fuels his fantasy and makes it easier for the affair to resume.

Even if you decide to divorce now, you should proceed with widespread exposure as an act of kindness unless you want to go through divorce with a fogged out wayward. Exposing the affair bursts his fantasy and makes it much likely he will remain fogged out. Exposure is like chemotherapy for cancer, it is therapeutic.

And honestly, we don't CARE if you are doing it for "revenge." What matters is that you expose and reap the benefits. Your feelings of "revenge" are irrelevant.

And I agree your marriage probably does not have a hope in hell. You have so much going against you, alcoholism and a history of cheating. He is also probably picking up prostitutes on the website you mentioned.

I would strongly urge you to get STD testing. Do not have sex with this man.

Exposure 101

I
I

Personally I think it would be very uncaring to leave his poison bottles undisturbed and to close a curtain of secrecy around him and his destructiveness with no intervention or exposure targets to help him free himself. I think that would be the best revenge, actually.

But it's his problem if you don't want the marriage. In that case I would just tell as many people in your own circle as possible so they can support you through a personal recovery. Leave him to his own secret hell with no help getting out if that's what you want.

Most recovered former wayward spouses count exposure as their rescue ship. But you are under no obligation to rescue him.

Nor could you recover without it.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation