Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
The main reason to expose even if she has chosen divorce, is to a) help him and b) lessen the chance that she has to go through divorce with a fogged out wayward.

Keeping the secret also places her in awkward social situations where the OW is invited. If people know about the affairs, they won't make that mistake.

There are NO PROS to keeping an affair secret. None.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Originally Posted by IntuitionGMH
i assume the exposure will kill any chance of us staying together soo....with that in mind
do i just tell him i want a divorce now and let him keep his dirty little secret.....that way he is happy and maintains his illusion of being a great upstanding guy.

I only did a limited exposure of my serial cheating XH. Back at that time MB exposure was not emphasised the way it is now. However, it is my greatest regret that I did not expose far and wide even though I knew I could not continue to be married to him. Not doing so allowed him to spin his version of events leading to the divorce. Any subsequent attempt by me to give the true version of events would have been considered vindictive.

For example, after my mother died, my XH gate crashed the funeral and played the bereaved ex son in law. He would not have dared had he thought that people might tell him he was not welcome.

The most important of all are the spouse of the affair partner and children. With children exposure is life changing. Essential to tell the children that the behavior they are is seeing is not acceptable. If you do not spell this out, how will they know?

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
T
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Dr. Harley [not "Hartley"]

Everyone makes an occasional typo.

tl

M
M
Originally Posted by living_well
i assume the exposure will kill any chance of us staying together soo....with that in mind
do i just tell him i want a divorce now and let him keep his dirty little secret.....that way he is happy and maintains his illusion of being a great upstanding guy.

I only did a limited exposure of my serial cheating XH. Back at that time MB exposure was not emphasised the way it is now. However, it is my greatest regret that I did not expose far and wide even though I knew I could not continue to be married to him. Not doing so allowed him to spin his version of events leading to the divorce. Any subsequent attempt by me to give the true version of events would have been considered vindictive.

For example, after my mother died, my XH gate crashed the funeral and played the bereaved ex son in law. He would not have dared had he thought that people might tell him he was not welcome.

The most important of all are the spouse of the affair partner and children. With children exposure is life changing. Essential to tell the children that the behavior they are is seeing is not acceptable. If you do not spell this out, how will they know?

Thank you for explaining this better than I did. You make a great point about looking "vindictive" after the fact. That is exactly what happened to me in my last marriage. Many people would not CHOOSE to include the wayward in events if they knew the truth.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
Expose.
Deal with the reactions of people, WH will be scary all over the place and threaten you with misc. things (text book).

You do not have to decide about whether to instigate divorce or if he does, go along with it. Move forward into the best outcome here......an honest approach to what is happening in your life presently and a strong footing for whatever happens into the future.

If you expose and deal with the toxic responses.....you will come out as a survivor of an affair. Married or not in the end. Being betrayed and brave dealing with it is a prize in itself.

A
A
If he says he is suicidal, call 911. That is not something you can or should try to handle.

If they ask what is going on, tell them. He just confessed and possibly ended a long-term affair, stopped drinking alcohol and has been very depressed. Now he is talking about suicude and you are scared.

Last edited by apples123; 12/06/15 01:50 PM.
T
T
OP, lets not forget the OWH needs the truth. Even if your marriage is to end the OWH deserves and needs to know there is a fox in his hen house.

The OWH needs to know that his friend is not his friend and that he needs to know what his wife did with his friend.

For you to let the OWH to stay in the dark will only allow this poor man to continue to be abused by your WH and his WW. Do not doubt that affair is over or will not start up once you file for divorce.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Ok, I will do it. I will expose this to the OW husband. That is as far as I will go tho. .

Then your exposure will not work. Limited, timid exposure does not work.

Your husband needs to see you have a zero tolerance for his secret second life. That any time he attempts it, you will tell the world all about it. You will ask everyone to keep both eyes on him.

He is counting on you to take all the responsibility upon yourself, to tire yourself. That will give him plenty of opportunity to sneak back to his secret second life once you are worn out with holding him accountable all by yourself.

Your husband doesn't want you to get any help with this. He doesn't want to consider how very unacceptable everyone will find this (it's perfectly acceptable when no one knows).

But more than anything he wants you to behave embarrassed, and ashamed, like you are the guilty one. (His classic line was telling you only to confide in a therapist as though you are ill. You do not need therapy, you need a lot of watchfulness and for him to QUIT it!) A lot of his fantasy rests upon blaming you, and treating you like an unreasonable wife.

If you are unashamed, brave, proactive in asking for help and have zero tolerance for his secret, for the hidden evil world he moves in,you will cure that mind set forever.

There is no other way. You either approve and condone his secret life or you expose it.

One way continues it, the other way ends it.

Your husbands reaction to exposure is a very important sign of how recovery will go. If he has any conscience left he will be very ashamed and embarrassed. If he has any of the right stuff in him he will start working towards a better reputation.
this is very helpful and i am getting to understand what he is trying to do. i go from being strong to being weak but you are helping me become strong again. i am going to do this today. i expect we will head to divorce but i really think that is better now. thank you. i feel calm and in control.

Love ME now.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
She asked herself, on the previous page, if she really wanted to save the marriage. Either "yes" or "no" is a reasonable answer to that. I believe Dr. Hartley would say the same. But from a 67-year-old woman to a 64-year-old, let me ask you to think about this: How do you want to spend the rest of your life? Maybe it's just those 3 extra years I have on you, but I would not have it in me to be the enforcer, the shepherd, the investigator, the one at fault (not true, but it's a hard label to live with)...and if you don't have it in you, either, it's not because there's something wrong with YOU!

tl
thank you. i have told him i WILL NOT be the leader in this recovery...we will sign up for the program with an accountability coach ...it is time for just about everything to change here..I have been the brunt of all his problems for our married life. i will not FIX this for him..i am a strong, independent, smart, healthy woman who takes responsibility for her behavior and to be looked down upon because i did Not have an affair cause my needs weren't met is just too much to fathom at this point in the marriage. thank you for your thoughts.

Love ME now.
I
OP Offline
I
Thinking back over the last 15 years of our marriage, it really hasn't been great...Very little support from him on any issues... I do love him but perhaps it is time for me to fly..

Time to fly?? I am not suggesting that you leave! Your plan will result in the death of your marriage because your H will not change by enabling him and sweeping this under the rug. The plan I am suggesting is designed to give you the best chance to SAVE your marriage.

Do you want to save your marriage?
only if he does. i do not want to continue unless he understands that this is a serious matter and just b/c he thinks he ended it a year ago but it didn't end..he thinks it is old news and should just go away. it was alive and well just a few weeks ago.

Love ME now.
I
OP Offline
I
She asked herself, on the previous page, if she really wanted to save the marriage. Either "yes" or "no" is a reasonable answer to that. I believe Dr. Hartley would say the same. But from a 67-year-old woman to a 64-year-old, let me ask you to think about this: How do you want to spend the rest of your life? Maybe it's just those 3 extra years I have on you, but I would not have it in me to be the enforcer, the shepherd, the investigator, the one at fault (not true, but it's a hard label to live with)...and if you don't have it in you, either, it's not because there's something wrong with YOU!

The reason she is suggesting "flying" is because she is under the false impression that exposure will end her marriage when it is the opposite.

No one would fault her if she left the marriage, but she clearly stated she WANTED to save this marriage on the previous page; that is why she is here:
Thank you. I do want to try my best to turn this around and have a better marriage cause we have always had issues about communicating.
Dr. Harley [not "Hartley"] would certainly want to help her if she chose to save the marriage and she has expressed her desire to save it.

This program does not require her to become an "enforcer, the shepherd, the investigator, the one at fault;" it offers a program that creates a great marriage if done together. If the WS does not get on board, then separation is advised. Within 3 weeks!

Even so, whether or not she decides to save it, the exposure steps are the same. The affair is still exposed.
thank you for the clarification. i am going to expose today..going over very soon. am not alerting WH. i know now how to understand his reaction. i have no attachment to the outcome..either we work it out or we divorce and separation is just fine with me. I have a strong group of friends and family to fall back on. I would not be doing this w/o your comments based on your experience. Thank you.

Love ME now.
A
A
Btw,there is more than one place to golf in the US. You mentioned that several times, but the US is huge with numerous gorgeous golf courses. (Though it may need to go if it has come before the marriage.)

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by armymama
Exposure has nothing to do with revenge. If you want to be married, you will need to follow the steps outlined previously. If you want to divorce him, then do so. But there still needs to be exposure of the infidelity, significantly to OWH and the adult children.

Why are you having such a problem in recognizing this? Were either of you married to other people when you met? Is this a 15 year affairage? Just asking....
i don't know why i am having such problems with this. no, we both met a couple of years after we ended previous live in relationships. i guess it might be because i have always been a strong person and i can handle things..i don't have children...i have run my own business, traveled around the world, etc etc..i am capable and stand strong on my own...i guess i don't want him to be embarrassed by exposing to his kids,,,..i am protecting him i guess. why,??? i guess i don't have a need to put myself first..i am ALWAYS OKAY... I AM A survivor and i have never had the need to have an affair due to the number of people who would be hurt...i just keep busy with projects like decorating, painting, golfing, etc etc etc...and don't put my emotional needs as first priority and being past menopause..my sexual needs are diminished....

Love ME now.
M
M
Thinking back over the last 15 years of our marriage, it really hasn't been great...Very little support from him on any issues... I do love him but perhaps it is time for me to fly..

Time to fly?? I am not suggesting that you leave! Your plan will result in the death of your marriage because your H will not change by enabling him and sweeping this under the rug. The plan I am suggesting is designed to give you the best chance to SAVE your marriage.

only if he does. i do not want to continue unless he understands that this is a serious matter and just b/c he thinks he ended it a year ago but it didn't end..he thinks it is old news and should just go away. it was alive and well just a few weeks ago.

Like I told you earlier, we will only advocate that you even try *IF* and only *IF* he fully meets all the conditions in the checklist commits 100% to a program of recovery. We are not interested in marriage at all cost. If he won't do those things, then separation would be recommended. Just so you know, we don't advocate staying in a bad marriage just to be staying married.

However, about the only thing that will motivate him to try is exposure. Exposure motivates him to try among the many benefits.

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by living_well

his daughters are married in their 30s with children. his son is in his 40s and is a serial cheater...he is having marital problems right now...are you talking children who live at home or older adults....what about his sisters who are in their 70s?

Love ME now.
M
M
[i guess i don't want him to be embarrassed by exposing to his kids,,,..i am protecting him i guess. why,???

That is not "protecting him;" it is ENABLING him. There is a huge difference. You don't protect him by hiding his secrets for him, you become an accessory to the crime.

Your concern should go to his victims, not him. He is not the victim here. He is a very destructive person and the more people that know what he does in secret, the more people to hold him accountable.

Exposure 101

M
M
[
his daughters are married in their 30s with children. his son is in his 40s and is a serial cheater...he is having marital problems right now...are you talking children who live at home or older adults....what about his sisters who are in their 70s?

They should all be told.

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I

Like I told you earlier, we will only advocate that you even try *IF* and only *IF* he fully meets all the conditions in the checklist commits 100% to a program of recovery. We are not interested in marriage at all cost. If he won't do those things, then separation would be recommended. Just so you know, we don't advocate staying in a bad marriage just to be staying married.

However, about the only thing that will motivate him to try is exposure. Exposure motivates him to try among the many benefits.
Melody, i really appreciate your insight. He has done all of the items on the checklist except for the exposure. Is it appropriate for HIM the WH to write a letter to the OWH and to his children and email them telling them of the affair and his SSL. I would approve the letter before it was sent. This is how we handled the OW. Although, he DID NOT PUT ANYTHING IN WRITING....he called the OW and read from a script and I was there listening and had approved the script. He doesn't want anything in writing as it might come back to haunt him...or be used against him in a divorce... OR IS IT ME WHO DOES THE EXPOSURE....IT SEEMS ODD THAT THE ENTIRE LIST YOU GAVE ME IS DONE BY HIM EXCEPT FOR THE EXPOSURE...Would appreciate clarification...he is an ex-oil patch executive and he has his sense of pride that he is someone who is successful...I guess...I just want to know if there is any benefit in me telling him that he needs to out himself this way..to the OWH and to his 3 adult children.
Thx so much

Love ME now.
M
M
[
Melody, i really appreciate your insight. He has done all of the items on the checklist except for the exposure. Is it appropriate for HIM the WH to write a letter to the OWH and to his children and email them telling them of the affair and his SSL.

No, you should do all the exposures on your own without forewarning him. He doesn't do the exposures, YOU DO. The check list applies to you too and that is one thing you must do. NOT HIM.

That is the affair proofing part of recovery.

The next step is marital recovery. He needs to commit 100% to giving you just compensation and recoering the marriage. So far, he is sitting around doing nothing, but you can show him this program.

Your exposures need to be done NOW so you can move onto next steps.

Exposure 101

M
M
Read this: Can't We Just Forgive and Forget?

GMH, I am hoping that you can move forward and take action on the advice we are giving. It seems we are covering alot of the same ground over and over again with no forward movement. I know you are in shock, but you still have to take action. Please get all of your exposures done today and tomorrow so we can help you move onto next steps.

Exposure 101

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation