Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
P
P
I had an angry outburst last night and I AM PROUD OF IT!
Then you are wasting our time. Please let us know when you are interested in following Marriage Builders.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by typicalman

An angry outburst is temporary insanity. When you are angry everything you are thinking of doing or saying is irrational and is going to make your problem worse.

Not only that but this is abusive behavior and we don't condone marital abuse here no matter what the spouse has done.

YES, I had an angry outburst... but I'm done with her walking all over me and I'm done with facilitating my marriage being killed by her.

That's great you should never let her walk all over you, but the choices are not "either I let her walk all over me or I have an angry outburst."

If you don't want her to walk all over you, try Plan A or Plan B. If you can't Plan A without having angry outbursts then you need to either get on antidepressants or go to Plan B.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
W
W
Originally Posted by Prisca
Then you are wasting our time. Please let us know when you are interested in following Marriage Builders.

I was thinking about suggesting this but I felt like I am not experienced enough to make a remark like this.

But from what I have learned, ANY angry outburst at all drives your spouse into the OM and makes OM look like a prince.

M
M
Originally Posted by WrestlerChemist
I came back to the house very calm and offered to her that we play a game together or something else. She said no of course, but she was reading a book. I grabbed my bible and sat there and read with her.

I am not in the best position to offer advise, so I will keep it brief with one thing I noticed. I would be careful about trying to to use the Bible as a weapon against your spouse. If you grab and read your Bible every night and she is familiar with seeing you like that, than no problem. If this is totally new to your behavior, I would tread carefully - she may see it as a condemning action like you are trying to force feed her verses, etc.

Just a thought. By no means am I advocating you stop reading the Bible smile

I do read it every night. It is the only book that I am currently reading.

Have you read what the Bible says about anger?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P

I was thinking about suggesting this but I felt like I am not experienced enough to make a remark like this.

But from what I have learned, ANY angry outburst at all drives your spouse into the OM and makes OM look like a prince.

A marriage cannot be recovered when a husband has angry outbursts and is proud of it. It is impossible.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
And we need to reinforce that you are not doing Plan A here. Plan A is not a way of life for conflict avoiders.

Learn what Marriage Builders says to do about problems in your marriage instead of having an angry outburst. You don't because you aren't becoming educated about Marriage Builders. You are just practicing conflict avoidance and calling it Marriage Builders. You are just engaging your Giver and shutting down your Taker until your Taker can't be silenced anymore, and that is the opposite of Plan A. Plan A brings both your Giver and your Taker into play.

What you are doing is not Plan A, so don't expect it to work.

P
P
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation. The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That's why I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I came back to the house very calm and offered to her that we play a game together or something else. She said no of course, but she was reading a book. I grabbed my bible and sat there and read with her.

I am not in the best position to offer advise, so I will keep it brief with one thing I noticed. I would be careful about trying to to use the Bible as a weapon against your spouse. If you grab and read your Bible every night and she is familiar with seeing you like that, than no problem. If this is totally new to your behavior, I would tread carefully - she may see it as a condemning action like you are trying to force feed her verses, etc.

Just a thought. By no means am I advocating you stop reading the Bible smile

I do read it every night. It is the only book that I am currently reading.

Have you read what the Bible says about anger?

http://biblehub.com/galatians/5-20.htm
http://biblehub.com/colossians/3-8.htm
http://biblehub.com/ephesians/4-31.htm
http://biblehub.com/james/1-19.htm
http://biblehub.com/james/1-20.htm

M
M
Feel free to leave me comments on what I should have done differently.

Okay, we have commented. Are you going to do differently?

If not, I think we need to ask you to hit the road here so as not to be a distraction and a discouragement to those who want to use the Marriage Builders plans.

T
OP Offline
T
Ok, I get all the comments, but on the show Joyce said that one problem is that I did not show enough emotion... and I should show more emotion about her killing our marriage. I also have gotten feedback that I am a too passive about enabling her marriage wrecking behavior. So, I stood up for our marriage and set a limit to what I will tolerate. What should I have done?

T
OP Offline
T
Also, she is pushing for divorce.... and I am getting over stressed by the constant lies and abuse from her. I think I am ready for plan B.

M
M
Ok, I get all the comments, but on the show Joyce said that one problem is that I did not show enough emotion... and I should show more emotion about her killing our marriage.

That still doesn't mean have angry outbursts. Everything I said above is true. When you are having an angry outburst you are temporarily insane.

So, I stood up for our marriage and set a limit to what I will tolerate. What should I have done?

Learn what Marriage Builders says to do about problems in your marriage besides having an angry outburst. Don't make us spoonfeed you; get educated.

M
M
Also, she is pushing for divorce.... and I am getting over stressed by the constant lies and abuse from her. I think I am ready for plan B.

If you go to Plan B your marriage will most likely end in divorce, which is fine if that is what you want.

If you cannot prevent yourself from having angry outbursts, then you do need to go to Plan B.

P
P
Ok, I get all the comments, but on the show Joyce said that one problem is that I did not show enough emotion... and I should show more emotion about her killing our marriage.
Joyce did not tell you to have an Angry Outburst. sigh

So, I stood up for our marriage and set a limit to what I will tolerate.

You did not stand up for your marriage. You abused your wife.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
So, I stood up for our marriage and set a limit to what I will tolerate.

You did not stand up for your marriage. You abused your wife.

Right, what you did was blow holes in a sinking boat. That's not "standing up for your marriage" or "setting a limit," but that is the kind of irrational things you tell yourself when you're having an angry outburst.

A
A
You didn't stand up for your marriage. You demanded that she stop watching a show you didnt want to watch. When she didn't comply, you made it impossible to watch
anything.

T
OP Offline
T

An angry outburst is temporary insanity. When you are angry everything you are thinking of doing or saying is irrational and is going to make your problem worse.

Not only that but this is abusive behavior and we don't condone marital abuse here no matter what the spouse has done.

YES, I had an angry outburst... but I'm done with her walking all over me and I'm done with facilitating my marriage being killed by her.

That's great you should never let her walk all over you, but the choices are not "either I let her walk all over me or I have an angry outburst."

If you don't want her to walk all over you, try Plan A or Plan B. If you can't Plan A without having angry outbursts then you need to either get on antidepressants or go to Plan B.

Here are my questions:

How do I not let her walk all over me or set a limit without it being an "angry outburst"?

I was thinking of Dr Harley's advice on Exposure... Exposure is a huge love buster, but it is standing up for your marriage.. .so I figured that not tolerating this marriage killing behavior... watching immoral content on Divorce deserves me showing some emotions.

Showing emotion is intended to show her that I do care about our marriage. I'm not showing emotion because the house is a mess, I'm showing emotion because she is destroying our marriage and that was exactly what I thought Dr. Harley and Joyce wanted me to do.

If I had sat down and watched it with her, I would be capitulating and enabling.

If I simply said I disagreed and walked away... I get accused of an angry outburst just for walking away..

She is killing our marriage.. why not show some emotion about it?

When we are talking about AO's, we are really talking about love busters.. so, I don't know if showing emotion in this way was a love buster or not... she may have actually appreciated my emotion on this and showing her that I care about our marriage.

She actually did not seem upset with me at all after this.

M
M

Here are my questions:

How do I not let her walk all over me or set a limit without it being an "angry outburst"?

Learn what Marriage Builders says to do about problems in your marriage besides having an angry outburst. Don't make us spoonfeed you; get educated. If you want to save your marriage this is not going to work if your version of learning marriage builders is just asking questions on the forum. That is why I tell you to not make us spoonfeed you. You have got to get after it and learn Marriage Builders so you can do Marriage Builders, if you want to save your marriage.

P
P
You are wasting our time debating the merits of AOs. Dr. Harley does not tolerate them, and would never have told you to have one.

Let us know when you want to do Marriage Builders.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
this is not going to work if your version of learning marriage builders is just asking questions on the forum.
But he's not even doing that. He'd DEBATING Marriage Builders concepts instead of picking up a book and learning what Dr. Harley says about AOs.

You've been here long enough that you should know what Dr. Harley says about AOs, typicalman. We're not here to debate it with you.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation