Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37
A
OP Offline
A
No we don't have a covenant marriage. I'm just a Christian woman who believes in marriage and not giving up hope for reconciliation. I am realistic in that if we divorce ...I won't be pining away for WH.

I have been doing plan B. I don't have an IM...and since the only contact I needed from him was for the truck pymt...I thought I could handle it...WRONG!

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
WH filed divorce 11-23-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
S
S
Originally Posted by Alwayslookingup
We knew each other over a year before we got married...he is 47 and I am 43...I have a son from a previous marriage...he has no children. I am his 3rd marriage and he is my 2nd. Prior..he was a drug and alcohol addict for 25yrs...he aged out of foster care as a child...and he is 5yrs sober. We were separated in Feb 2015 because I filed a restraining order due to punching holes in doors and breaking one door in half. He admitted during dating that he cheated on his previous wives...but when he got sober he became a born again Christian and he would never go against Gods commandment. I have never had an affair.
This history is horrifying.

How did your first marriage end? How old is your son? Do you have any contact with his father?

Why did his two previous marriages end? How long did each of them last?

I don't understand the sentence "he aged out of foster care when he was a child" - please explain.

What led to the incident where he punched holes in doors? Has he been violent at any other time before or since? When did the restraining order end, or is it still in force? Did you impose any conditions in order for him to return home - such as anger management training?

How do you know for sure that he has been sober for 5 years? Is he in AA and NA? How do you know he is not using now that you are separated?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2874808 01/21/16 09:09 AM
A
OP Offline
A
My first marriage ended After my german husband got hid green card. He also cheated.

My son from first marriage does not see his father...never. My son is 14 yrs old.

WH first marriage was at 18yrs old and didn't last long. His second marriage was approx 5yrs. All ended as all involved were heavily involved in drugs and alcohol.

My husband was placed in foster care at 6yrs old and didn't leave the foster care system until he turned 18yrs old.

We were fighting over mundane stuff...time...finances...etc...I was in his face he in mine and he punched holes in two doors and kicked in half off the hinges a third door...that is what lead to the restraining order in Feb 2015 and separation.

Yes he has prior domestic violence charges. However he had said they were prior to getting sober and becoming a Christian. I never saw any anger signs in over a year of dating.

The RO is still in effect for about another 3wks.

No there is no anger mgmt class condition at this time.

My WH works in drug addiction industry helping others get sober. While we were together I never saw him drink or do drugs. But since we've been separated I don't know for sure. I venture to guess that he's still sober with the exception of the affair high.

He does celebrate recovery...the Christian equivalent of AA...though his pastor says since Nov when the affair was discovered...he goes sporadically. He also said he had not been going regularly prior to that assuming that the affair was building up to the sexual nature it became in Nov.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
S
S
My first marriage ended After my german husband got hid green card. He also cheated.

My son from first marriage does not see his father...never. My son is 14 yrs old.

WH first marriage was at 18yrs old and didn't last long. His second marriage was approx 5yrs. All ended as all involved were heavily involved in drugs and alcohol.

My husband was placed in foster care at 6yrs old and didn't leave the foster care system until he turned 18yrs old.

We were fighting over mundane stuff...time...finances...etc...I was in his face he in mine and he punched holes in two doors and kicked in half off the hinges a third door...that is what lead to the restraining order in Feb 2015 and separation.

Yes he has prior domestic violence charges. However he had said they were prior to getting sober and becoming a Christian. I never saw any anger signs in over a year of dating.

The RO is still in effect for about another 3wks.

No there is no anger mgmt class condition at this time.

My WH works in drug addiction industry helping others get sober. While we were together I never saw him drink or do drugs. But since we've been separated I don't know for sure. I venture to guess that he's still sober with the exception of the affair high.

He does celebrate recovery...the Christian equivalent of AA...though his pastor says since Nov when the affair was discovered...he goes sporadically. He also said he had not been going regularly prior to that assuming that the affair was building up to the sexual nature it became in Nov.
So his violence, and a restraining order, came in less than two years of marriage, and now he is not maintaining any behavioural programme to stay clean and sober - which means he is neither. He had charges for violence against his previous wife when he was using, and now he has one against you. By his own logic, that suggests that he is using again.

He is not maintaining his lifestyle as a born-again Christian who is doing all he must do to stay clean and sober - and he is in an affair. Even if the affair ends today, he is still a violent, drug-abusing, active alcoholic.

If you have not already sent a Plan B letter saying that he needs to end the affair and get into, and maintain attendance at, behavioural programmes for substances AND for anger management, before you will consider talking to him about reconciliation, you should send one as soon as you have an IM in place.

Do what you have been advised about selling the truck, and stop using your completely unnecessary paralysis about the truck as a means of staying in contact with him.

He is very bad news, not just because he is in an affair. His untreated violence and substance abuse mean that he is not fit to be married to anybody - he is dangerous.

Get into Plan B and let the divorce go through. If he comes back with proof that he is clean, sober and in control of his anger, you can consider taking him back - but give up on this unless all those issues, as well as the affair, are dealt with.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2874810 01/21/16 09:38 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Ok

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
S
S
No we don't have a covenant marriage. I'm just a Christian woman who believes in marriage and not giving up hope for reconciliation. I am realistic in that if we divorce ...I won't be pining away for WH.

I have been doing plan B. I don't have an IM...and since the only contact I needed from him was for the truck pymt...I thought I could handle it...WRONG!

Thanks for clarifying. God does not believe in marriage when a husband deals with his wife treacherously. He hates that treachery causes divorce.

The Malachi verse which is translated "God hates divorce" in some Bible versions is so misquoted. He hates divorce because he hates the treachery that caused it.

Marriage at all costs to the victim, including the cost of your health, is not a good thing to believe in. Instead, boundaries are Biblical, and are much better for you, too.

Thanks for answering. You will do yourself a favor to find a way to follow the dark plan B; perhaps the pastor who kicked your WH out of the church when his affair was exposed might be a good prospect as an IM?

Sunnytimes #2874816 01/21/16 11:14 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I have not asked that pastor to be an IM as he is the pastor of the celebrate recovery ministry and they had once been close. This pastor is slowly trying to rebuild that relationship as my WH was at CR two times in the past three weeks. WH didn't go last Friday.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
M
M
I have not asked that pastor to be an IM as he is the pastor of the celebrate recovery ministry and they had once been close. This pastor is slowly trying to rebuild that relationship as my WH was at CR two times in the past three weeks. WH didn't go last Friday.

Do you have a friend who would agree to be neutral and serve as a spam filter for you? It is the easiest job in the world if done right.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2874822 01/21/16 12:23 PM
A
OP Offline
A
So far no. Parents don't want to be that person in case he comes back. Both friends also want to preserve any relationship tho all see its value. No one wants to do it in the event he returns...plus most those friends and family that DO know are ANGRY themselves with him and don't want their anger to show through. So...so far no impartial takers on being an IM. sigh.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
A
OP Offline
A
If anyone on MB is willing to be an IM I am open to that idea? I know it would be awkward tho.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
M
M
So far no. Parents don't want to be that person in case he comes back. Both friends also want to preserve any relationship tho all see its value. No one wants to do it in the event he returns...plus most those friends and family that DO know are ANGRY themselves with him and don't want their anger to show through. So...so far no impartial takers on being an IM. sigh.

Always, the expectation is not to BE impartial but to BE neutral in their dealings with him. All they are expected to do is filter communications between you. For example, if your H sends a long tirade but includes some critical financial information, they would send you an email that might say:

"Alwayslooikingup, Joe advises that he will be forwarding you a tax form."

And then the response to your WH:

"thanks Joe, in accordance to Alway's instructions I will forward her the information about the tax form. thank you"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
OP Offline
A
Not sure how a perfect stranger would be received by WH tho

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
MelodyLane #2874826 01/21/16 12:31 PM
M
M
I view an IM who has impartial feelings to be a problem, because a person who feels "impartial" about adultery has a character defect. The objective is to protect you and just act as an impartial spam filter.

Exposure 101

M
M
Not sure how a perfect stranger would be received by WH tho

Any IM will not be received favorably by your H. That is the expectation. He will first REFUSE to deal with him/her.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2874828 01/21/16 12:35 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I'm not one with a large friend circle. I don't have lots or any for that matter who are willing. They are all very angry and disappointed in him and his continued foolishness. No one is ok with his affair and divorce filing. But those in my circle are all close friends and family.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
A
OP Offline
A
No one is impartial...those that know are very angry and disgusted.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
M
M
No one is impartial...those that know are very angry and disgusted.

AS they should be. NOW. Will any one of them agree to PRESENT a neutral front and serve as an IM?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2874832 01/21/16 12:38 PM
M
M
Do you have any friends or family who can exercise self control and serve as a spam filter for you?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2874833 01/21/16 12:39 PM
A
OP Offline
A
No that is what I'm saying. I've asked them all...they do not want to make it worse...they do not feel impartial. And understandably so.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
A
OP Offline
A
In fact...they all see the truck as just handling business. But in me doing that it backfired in an epic way last night. I got handed an ugly platter of crap and felt totally broken last night.

BW, me - 44
WH - 47
Married 2.5yrs
EA 6-2015 estimate
PA 9-2015 estimate
D-day 11-22-2015
Exposure 1-10-2016
Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 667 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation