Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
M
M
Do you know what your wife needs in order to treat her depression? A man who doesn't look at other women.

There is nothing we can do to help you until you swear off of the bikini babes.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Your letter was demanding, disrespectful and angry -- the 3 BIG lovebusters. You may have been aware of the program for years, but you haven't actually followed it if you are still committing these 3 biggies.

You should not expect your wife to go to the beach if she doesn't want to. She shouldn't have to. It is not the only option available that will make you happy.

You are using Marriage Builders terminology to manipulate your wife to do what you want at her expense.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Your letter to your wife is an example of a selfish demand. You have your mind made up about what will make you happy and will accept no alternatives.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by Indianajordan
I wrote my wife this letter: I am writing to share my feelings. I am feeling exhausted from all the talking. I am feeling hurt. I desperately need some majorly pleasant UA recreational time. I have been trying to communicate this since we came home from Florida.

I am feeling terribly frustrated that weeks are going by and this need is going unmet.

Do you understand that you are NEVER going to feel the need for this to the extent I feel it? HWSW p.52-53. This pattern of waiting until YOU "feel like going" is NEVER going to be enough.

I am feeling SO angry that I have had to endure years of this practice when you have had the counsel from Harley the whole time.

I am feeling "at the end of my rope"
END OF LETTER

I need have sun and warmth and beach to qualify as "majorly pleasant" and she will not go. I need sun and warmth and a beach to treat my depression. I am asking if she will agree to me going alone. She won't. What can I do now?

What in the world? What about what SHE finds "majorly pleasant??" Did you forget the other part of this equation. Such as your wife? You don't have an "emotional need" to go to the beach. No one does. Writing a demanding, selfish, rude letter is more likely to ensure you NEVER get your needs met. Just because you WANT something does not mean your wife is obliged to go along with it. My suggestion is that YOU listen to Markos and Prisca and start using the program.

If you want your wife to spend time with you, be pleasant and find something to do that you BOTH like. You seem to only think about what YOU want. That will not help her want to do anything with you.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Hello everyone. I am the wife of the man in this thread. He is encouraging me to write to get your input. Right now he has taken "Love Busters" pg. 300 where Dr. Harley talks about UA time and recommends that they go away together for two or three weeks and is saying "Dr. Harley says to go away together." I don't want to go. What is your advice?

M
M
Hello everyone. I am the wife of the man in this thread. He is encouraging me to write to get your input. Right now he has taken "Love Busters" pg. 300 where Dr. Harley talks about UA time and recommends that they go away together for two or three weeks and is saying "Dr. Harley says to go away together." I don't want to go. What is your advice?

You should always find things to do about which you are BOTH enthusiastic. Your dates and/or trips should be planned together, with no sacrificing and no compromise because the goal is to make this the most enjoyable time of your week. This article describes how decisions should be made between you: The Policy of Joint Agreement

You should brainstorm with abandon until you find something to do you both love. My H and I sit down together on Sunday afternoons and plan out our weekly dates using this UA worksheet: here. Keep in mind, the key is to find things you BOTH enjoy.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Still the wife here. We have not spent 15 hours a week together, probably 3-4 hours UA per week although we are together a lot. His work is very flexible at this point. I am honestly not highly motivated to spend much time at all even though I know I need to in order for our marriage to survive. Do you have any advice for me?

M
M
Still the wife here. We have not spent 15 hours a week together, probably 3-4 hours UA per week although we are together a lot. His work is very flexible at this point. I am honestly not highly motivated to spend much time at all even though I know I need to in order for our marriage to survive. Do you have any advice for me?

We understand you are not motivated at this time. We felt the same way at one time. Now, i look forward to our dates and wouldn't miss them for anything. Read this:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The reason I have so much difficulty getting couples to spend time alone together is that when I first see them for counseling, they are not in love. Their relationship does not do anything for them, and the time spent with each other seems like a total waste at first. But when they spend time together, they learn to re-create the romantic experiences that first nurtured their love relationship. Without that time, they have little hope of restoring the love they once had for each other.

But fifteen hours a week is usually not nearly enough time for couples that are not yet in love. To help them jump-start their relationship, I usually suggest twenty-five or thirty hours a week of undivided attention until they are both in love with each other again.
here

In other words, the KEY to being motivated is to schedule the time and start spending it together until the love is restored in your marriage. It is usually a matter of weeks until you are highly motivated if you spend the time meeting the top 4 intimate emotional needs, doing things you BOTH like.

Exposure 101

M
M
p.s. can I get you to register you own screen name and start up a thread just for yourself?

Exposure 101

M
M
more from the UA article - being in love is a GAME CHANGER.......

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
If you have not been in the habit of spending 15 hours a week for undivided attention, it will mean that something less important will have to go. But it will radically change your life for the better, because you will be investing in one of the single most important parts of your life -- your relationship with your spouse.

If you're not yet convinced, a Q&A column and an article I've written that may help you understand the importance of undivided attention are, We Don't Spend Enough Time with Each Other, and Why Women Leave Men.

You and your spouse fell in love with each other because you met some of each other's most important emotional needs, and the only way to stay in love is to keep meeting those needs. Even when the feeling of love begins to fade, or when it's gone entirely, it's not necessarily gone for good. It can be recovered whenever you both go back to being an expert at making Love Bank deposits. First, be sure you know what each other's needs are (complete the Emotional Needs Questionnaire). Then, learn to meet those needs in a way that is fulfilling to your spouse, and enjoyable for you, too.

Meeting important emotional needs is only half of the story, however. While that's how couples make the most Love Bank deposits, they must be sure that they're not making Love Bank withdrawals.

Exposure 101

M
M

Hi, Indiana's wife. Welcome to Marriage Builders. I encourage you to sign up for your own account and start your own thread and stay with us.

I think Dr. Harley would encourage you to insist that your husband stop gawking at other women and stop proposing trips to the beach with scantily clad women. I think that would be one of the highest priorities. You can always write him and ask on his radio show: mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

Perhaps you could make a deal with your husband that you would be willing to start following the Marriage Builders program if he does. But he's going to have to give up all the other women, first. With his track record of wanting to be aroused by other women besides his wife, and his demonstrated total lack of understanding of what a serious problem this is, I can see why you wouldn't want to spend any time with him.

I
OP Offline
I
I will start my own thread under the screen name Indianaswife.

I
OP Offline
I
My wife and I are having a discussion concerning treatment of my depression. It was calm. However, at one point she says very intensely " YOU ARE WRONG!!" Is that an example of a disrespectful judgement?

M
M
My wife and I are having a discussion concerning treatment of my depression. It was calm. However, at one point she says very intensely " YOU ARE WRONG!!" Is that an example of a disrespectful judgement?

I would focus all of your attention on your OWN lovebusters for now. You have A LOT that need to be eliminated. For example, your selfish demands that she go on vacation or you are going alone. Have you abandoned that terrible idea and stopped your selfish demands?

Do you have the book Lovebusters yet? What Harley recommends is that each of you have your own copy and go through the chapters together. You should highlight things that stand out to you and she should do the same and then exchange your books.

Exposure 101

M
M
My wife and I are having a discussion concerning treatment of my depression.

What is your suggestion for the treatment of depression? You need to find a solution that appeals to you BOTH. Are you doing that?

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
Your answer tells me that it is a lovebuster. You misunderstand concerning going alone on a vacation.This was not done coersively. It was a request for reciprocation for the last time we were apart where she went to do something that she wanted to do and I stayed home with the kids. A vacation, preferably with her but without if necessary,is my proposition for treatment of my depression. We have done it many times, always together,but when she did not want to go I simply suggested I go myself. That solution does not appeal to her, but none of her suggestions even come close to an all-inclusive Carribean resort.

A
A
Depression is long term a single vacation can't treat that. Also, it would be a violation of the no nights apart rule.

You need to start working on your own behavior and stop trying to use MB as weapon against your wife.

P
P
That solution does not appeal to her, but none of her suggestions even come close to an all-inclusive Carribean resort.

I can't believe you are still suggesting vacation ideas where there are women in bathing suits whom you are comparing your wife to. I completely understand how she might feel about that. If you are depressed, see your doctor and try using Marriage Builders to help your marriage. You have been given some wonderful marriage building advise. I hope you choose to take it.

M
M
Your answer tells me that it is a lovebuster. You misunderstand concerning going alone on a vacation.This was not done coersively. It was a request for reciprocation for the last time we were apart where she went to do something that she wanted to do and I stayed home with the kids. A vacation, preferably with her but without if necessary,is my proposition for treatment of my depression. We have done it many times, always together,but when she did not want to go I simply suggested I go myself. That solution does not appeal to her, but none of her suggestions even come close to an all-inclusive Carribean resort.

Can you go to Alaska or somewhere where the women are covered up, instead?

M
M
It was a request for reciprocation for the last time we were apart where she went to do something that she wanted to do and I stayed home with the kids. A vacation, preferably with her but without if necessary,is my proposition for treatment of my depression.

Please show me where this is suggested by Marriage Builders.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation