Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 45 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 44 45
S
S
Originally Posted by MrAlias
I have no idea. I am still upset that she brought it home. I chose not to make a scene at the time seeing the kids were standing there. I don't know if she knows I spoke to them about her drinking and her commitment to quit. I don't do well in the moment so I avoided bringing it up right then and there. I was certainly disappointed.

Did she bring it home for you to drink by yourself - she would not touch a drop? Or,

Did she bring it home for you to share with her - which means she would have some?

To share. My response. "I am not drinking." I can only control myself.

If she brought it home to share, why didn't she drink any of it? Did you tell her you did not want her to?

Where did she get it from? Did she go to a shop and buy it? I don't know where. I was upset and let her know I wasn't going to drink. That was the end of the conversation.

Why haven't you removed it from your home? For example, why didn't you offer to take it back to the shop for a refund?
Probably because I'm lazy and to some extent want her to take some ownership of this problem. I've been fighting for us for quite some time and have the same mantra year after year, it's not good, it's not totally horrible, when is it bad enough?
We would never advise that you make a scene. I don't quite know what kind of "scene" you meant, but it sounds as if blowing up and having an angry or tearful outburst was the alternative to saying nothing. As you know, those things should never be done.

Your kids have already been told about her problems with alcohol and that you want this to stop, and that you might ask for their help soon, so why was this something you felt you could not put your foot down about in front of them?

And when she said "I brought this home. I thought we could share it", your response should have been to remind her that she'd agreed to stop drinking, not to tell her that YOU are not drinking.

I think you have already been very direct in your request that she stop drinking for good. I agree with your earlier statement that she knows exactly what you want her to do. Now, you need to be like a broken record when she brings up drinking.

"You agreed to stop drinking altogether. It hurts me when you drink."

"Please do not bring alcohol home. You promised to stop drinking altogether."

"Please do not go out drinking with your colleagues. You promised to stop drinking altogether. It hurts me when you drink."

You need to give the same message, all the time: "Please do not drink, as you promised, in order to stop hurting me".

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Something else that really stands out to me is the fact that you are in the habit of ignoring the elephant in the room. Were you aware this is a dysfunctional trait of alcoholic families? Everyone pretends like there is not a problem. So when she brought the bottle of alcohol home, it should have been openly addressed.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Something else that really stands out to me is the fact that you are in the habit of ignoring the elephant in the room.

Totally aware ... and it is not confined to the drinking either.

Again we don't have an integrated relationship. It is far from an MB marriage. I should be able to talk to her about this stuff without any issue. But we don't see eye to eye on all areas of our relationship and tend to ignore the elephant that arises from that.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We would never advise that you make a scene. I don't quite know what kind of "scene" you meant, but it sounds as if blowing up and having an angry or tearful outburst was the alternative to saying nothing. As you know, those things should never be done.

Agreed. And I am never sure whether or not I can control my response when I've been triggered so I walk away or avoid the confrontation to ensure I don't have an AO or say something stupid (DJ).

The scene could be created by me.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
A
A
Honestly, MrAlias, why so wimpy?

Trying to avoid the tone that is going to lead to a big blow up. I grew up with a mother who was notorious at big blow ups. Everything blown out of proportion. I have a wife who admittedly digs in her heels if someone try to force their will on them. I avoid those tenuous moments by trying a softer approach.

She will be upset that I'm making a demand the way I just did, no big surprise. I can feel the tension building already. It's my hope that what I get back as a response is something I can deal with calmly and intelligently. I'm not the sharpest tool in the chest when I get triggered.

Except that you are not really "making a demand" rather, you are giving your wife valuable information about the true state of your marriage and what you are no longer willing to tolerate.

Take a look at Melody's wording again:

"Dear wife, your drinking hurts me terribly and has for years..."
1. You are informing her, clearly, how you feel about something she is doing that affects you and the family.

"I am asking that you stop drinking forever."
2. You are asking , not demanding.

"If you can't stop drinking on your own, I would be willing to help you by seeking out treatment centers."
3. You are offering to help her.

"I want to have a happy, fulfilling marriage and that can only happen if you stop drinking."
4. You are telling her the standard for what you want from your marriage - a happy fulfilling marriage - and letting her know that you will not feel happy and fulfilled as long as she is drinking.

Your wording was probably more likely to result in conflict because it is confusing and comes across as manipulative - your words completely leave the door open for her to do whatever she wants, but you both know you're trying to get her to do something (stop drinking). Also, it's clear you're trying to avoid conflict and seems weak in a way that I don't think is attractive to most women.

I am an extremely conflict avoidant person and it definitely has not served me well over the years. But I have found magic and some strength in learning to word things the way Melody worded that. "This is what I am feeling." "This is what I need to be happily married." If she blows up, or you feel tempted to, definitely walk away, but don't back down or appear uncertain about your message. Be prepared with good wording in advance and if she twists things, just be a broken record with your reasonable request.

And it is simply a request. And, if the reality is that you are not willing to continue to be married to her under the current circumstances, she has a right to know that. You need to be CLEAR with her.

Last edited by AnyWife; 12/21/16 09:21 PM.
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
[

We aren't following MB. She isn't 100% on board even after counseling with Jennifer. She buys into pieces of it but not all of it.

But, do you buy into it? It doesn't sound like you do yourself so it has not been an issue.

I see a pattern here, my friend, where you avoid conflict by being vague and unclear with your wife so she never really understands what you mean. This is especially damaging when dealing with an addict because addictions are much more powerful than ones feelings about the marriage. You can see this is the case.

Please note I didn't say "alcoholic" because I don't want to go down that rabbit chase with you again. Let's just agree that she is obviously addicted and can't quit.

Sorry Mel, I see I skipped over this response, probably along with some others. Thanks for the continuing guidance.

You asked if I buy into it. I do. I envision how this program will make my M be the happy, romantic marriage I so desire. I do things like spend time on this forum to help others as well as continue to learn or keep my MB knowledge fresh. I listen to the radio show in spurts. Good weeks at least 2 or 3 programs a week. I reread articles especially ones that are linked in forum threads that feel relevant or are of interest to me.

It does come down to my habit of avoiding conflict. I've always been this way. Having confrontations is very stressful for me. The adrenaline floods into my system and I get very nervous, shaky and it's all I can do to keep the lid on any emotion (which is usually anger) that pops up. I typically email her to have these difficult conversations to avoid the confrontational situations.

And yes I do tend to try to feather in what I intend to say to her. Which then comes off, most likely, vague and unclear as you've said. My guess, I do things this way to avoid the confrontational feeling and also because I have empathy for my W and feel, to some extent, that I'm forcing my will onto her (which if I word it correctly (which I suck at) I know I'm not). She certainly communicates to me that she feels forced to change. My lack of wording the request correctly and the fact we really don't have a habit of focusing on providing extraordinary care to each other is the reason she feels forced. We aren't as integrated as we need to be.

I would love it if she was 100% on board. She's told me flat out she's not. Doesn't believe it is important that we spend tons of time together. Agrees we should spend time together having fun but there's no way she's giving up going back to see her sister and to take care of the horses she boards there.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Take a look at Melody's wording again:

"Dear wife, your drinking hurts me terribly and has for years..."
"I am asking that you stop drinking forever."
"If you can't stop drinking on your own, I would be willing to help you by seeking out treatment centers."
"I want to have a happy, fulfilling marriage and that can only happen if you stop drinking."

Thanks AnyWife and thanks again Melody.

I feel as if I need to carry these around on index cards and pull them out every time the drinking conversation (and her negotiating) begins.

Last edited by MrAlias; 12/22/16 09:07 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No response from her. She worked late and when she did arrive she was pretty cold. Which was expected.

She was communicative with the kids but pretty short with me. I chose not to talk about the elephant again. She has told me when faced with tough decisions she does need time to absorb and respond.

We were supposed to go grocery shopping together. We have our Xmas menu ready to go, just need the stuff. I asked if we were going to go last night. She said no she'd do it on her way home tonight. I said I'd love to do it together and that I could just meet her there. She declined, said she would take care of it.

Pretty upset, I'm sure , and needs to avoid me. This will probably go on for quite a few days, maybe weeks. I'll do what I can to stay positive and be pleasant to be around, but I don't think this is going to be a wonderful Holiday.

Last edited by MrAlias; 12/22/16 09:14 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
Didn't Dr Harley suggest an intervention but you held off on that since you had an agreement from her? Maybe it is time for that to happen now...

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
He said if she drank then that was the next step. So far she hasn't had a drink. She has insinuated that she was going to drink. I've since explained that I'm asking her to stop entirely forever.

Maybe I should email him the latest.

Last edited by MrAlias; 12/22/16 12:36 PM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
He said if she drank then that was the next step. So far she hasn't had a drink. She has insinuated that she was going to drink. I've since explained that I'm asking her to stop entirely forever.

Maybe I should email him the latest.
I think that would be good because my understanding of his advice was based on the premise that your wife agreed to quit when she hasn't done that at all. She's bring home alcohol and still trying to negotiate with you and being cold when you won't give in. She hasn't really agreed to quit at all.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thx Suzie. I did send Dr Harley another email.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We made it through the In-Laws without a hitch. Others were drinking while MrsAlias did not. She was obviously not happy with me as she spent most of the night cold and avoiding me to some extent. The car ride home afterwards was very quiet.

We had a nice Xmas. Hunkered down at home all weekend and for the most part yesterday. Things are a little more normal between her and I. Less frigid. We spent some time alone, doing a puzzle, watching a movie.

Still no physical affection yet, no touching, hugging, etc. I'll be looking to move in that direction this week. Doing my part to find plenty of UA time together. We have nothing on the calendar unless she still plans on going out with that coworker later this week. Last night, when I asked if she had any plans this week she said she couldn't think of anything. It's possible she has decided to give up on that idea knowing I don't want her to drink.

She was in a great mood yesterday. I was so tempted to ask why.

Here is what Dr Harley provided in response to me last week.
Your wife's letter is very sincere, and I hope that she is able to stick to her agreement not to drink. The idea of curling up by the fire or doing a puzzle together with a glass of wine sounds great except for the glass of wine part. Your reaction to her bringing home a bottle of wine was great. As long as you stick to your guns and don't let up on your commitment to have an alcohol-free home with no one in the family drinking, even at social events, you will eventually have victory over it. The problem you will have in your relationship is that up until two weeks ago, your wife enjoyed being with you if she was drinking at the time. She will have a very difficult time enjoying your company without alcohol, and that goal should be something that you both work to achieve: How can she be happy with you if alcohol is not part of it?
Dr. Harley

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
A little off topic and yet it is not off topic.

Our eldest son was picked up for OWI Sunday before last. The night before he and a couple of hometown girls that go to his college went back to his college town to be with their friends. It is less than an hour away. He was drinking, obviously, said he slept some, woke up late as he had to work near home and was speeding to make up his lost time. Was pulled over and taken in where he blew under the legal limit for an adult but in WI there is a zero tolerance rule for underage drinking and driving. He was charged with OWI which carries the same penalties as an over-the-age over the legal limit driver.

I took this opportunity to discuss one on one with him the dangers of drinking. He's in college so I'm not na�ve to the things he's exposed to. I told him if he thinks he's adult enough to drink then he needs to make better decisions. Use wiser judgment. There was no need to go to this party when he knew he had to work early the next morning. "Someone could have been hurt or killed with your recklessness. What do you think your employer was going to do when he smelled alcohol? He would have fired you."

He will learn his lesson through inconvenience and be hit financially. He'll lose his license for 6 to 9 months and he will be responsible for any fees, fines, etc and the additional cost of insurance. His days of having extra money to go play are over for quite some time.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
He will learn his lesson through inconvenience and be hit financially. He'll lose his license for 6 to 9 months and he will be responsible for any fees, fines, etc and the additional cost of insurance. His days of having extra money to go play are over for quite some time.

MrA, he will learn much more than that!! Is he being charged with a felony?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
We made it through the In-Laws without a hitch. Others were drinking while MrsAlias did not. She was obviously not happy with me as she spent most of the night cold and avoiding me to some extent. The car ride home afterwards was very quiet.

We had a nice Xmas. Hunkered down at home all weekend and for the most part yesterday. Things are a little more normal between her and I. Less frigid. We spent some time alone, doing a puzzle, watching a movie.

Still no physical affection yet, no touching, hugging, etc. I'll be looking to move in that direction this week. Doing my part to find plenty of UA time together. We have nothing on the calendar unless she still plans on going out with that coworker later this week. Last night, when I asked if she had any plans this week she said she couldn't think of anything. It's possible she has decided to give up on that idea knowing I don't want her to drink.

Your wife's letter is very sincere, and I hope that she is able to stick to her agreement not to drink. The idea of curling up by the fire or doing a puzzle together with a glass of wine sounds great except for the glass of wine part. Your reaction to her bringing home a bottle of wine was great. As long as you stick to your guns and don't let up on your commitment to have an alcohol-free home with no one in the family drinking, even at social events, you will eventually have victory over it. The problem you will have in your relationship is that up until two weeks ago, your wife enjoyed being with you if she was drinking at the time. She will have a very difficult time enjoying your company without alcohol, and that goal should be something that you both work to achieve: How can she be happy with you if alcohol is not part of it?
Dr. Harley

SO HAPPY that you are receiving support from Dr. Harley!! I know this is very hard for you but you are doing just great. Hang in there, because your reward will be great if you tough this out.

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
MrA, he will learn much more than that!! Is he being charged with a felony?

In WI a first offense OWI isn't even considered a misdemeanor let alone considered a felony. A first offense is considered a civil offense. However it is only considered that in WI and if he ever plans on moving this "ticket" will be on his record forever and it will have consequences for a very long time.

He'll be paying high-risk insurance for anywhere from 3 to 7 years and at 19 years of age the costs will be extremely pricey.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
[
In WI a first offense OWI isn't even considered a misdemeanor let alone considered a felony. A first offense is considered a civil offense. However it is only considered that in WI and if he ever plans on moving this "ticket" will be on his record forever and it will have consequences for a very long time.

Is there a way he can get this expunged from his record entirely? Alcohol related offenses can be the kiss of death at most companies. My son had a very hard time getting a job at my company because of a possession of alcohol charge when he was 19. [class c misdemeanor] We couldn't even hire him until the full 7 years had passed because we go back 7 years.

Before that, he couldn't even get a job selling furniture at a furniture store or qualify to rent an apartment!

Exposure 101

S
S

Dr. Harley

SO HAPPY that you are receiving support from Dr. Harley!! I know this is very hard for you but you are doing just great. Hang in there, because your reward will be great if you tough this out.

x2!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
[

Is there a way he can get this expunged from his record entirely? Alcohol related offenses can be the kiss of death at most companies. My son had a very hard time getting a job at my company because of a possession of alcohol charge when he was 19. [class c misdemeanor] We couldn't even hire him until the full 7 years had passed because we go back 7 years.

Before that, he couldn't even get a job selling furniture at a furniture store or qualify to rent an apartment!

We are lining up a consult with a DUI Lawyer. Seeing he passed the field sobriety test we have a little bit of hope we can get the charges reduced. At this point in time we are not too familiar with the laws and what his options are. We have a couple of referrals from friends on good lawyers.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
Page 40 of 45 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation