Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Long story short.......I destroyed my marriage and family and I'm not sure how to help my husband.

I had multiple emotional and physical affairs, starting when we had only been married a short time, and we've had multiple false recoveries.
I keep trying to be a good wife but have failed time and time again. My husband keeps taking me back and this last time it was after almost 4 years; I broke off my affair and moved home determined to make it work. I was completely transparent left my phone unlocked, let my husband know my every move..... We read the books, listened to Dr Harley videos, did a marriage course based on MB but after a year I contacted my AP again and have resumed an EA with him.
My husband has asked me to end the affair or move out (which he should) but I can't bring myself to do either. Everyone keeps telling him he is crazy but he says he believes in marriage.

He is familiar with plan A and Plan B and I am wondering if I should encourage him to force me out and start Plan B?
Maybe if I am totally cut off I will wake up and stop this nonsense. Up til now I've had full access to my home and all the comfort it offers. Stupid and totally not fair to him!

.....BTW Every single thing that MB says about wayward spouses is true...I know from experience.

B
B
So are you going to move out? That's the least you can do for your BH.

Will your BH come here and post?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have moved out 3 times in the past 7 years (his request twice) but always end up moving back. I miss having a home and being part of a family.

This time he says that if I move, I'm not coming back. ......ever.

I have mentioned the forum a few times but will tell him I have posted and maybe he will join. He really needs the support right now. frown

Z
Z
This is ridiculous. You're saying you have no self control and need him to get tough for you to change? It's HIS responsibility to put a stop to your cat-in-heat behavior?
Do you see what a burden you've placed on this man? Grow up and figure out how to control yourself.
Do him a kindness and remove yourself from his life.

Last edited by zibbles; 03/11/17 10:11 AM.
Z
Z
You miss having a home and being part of a family? You need to EARN that and there's nothing here showing even one tiny degree of you being willing or able to do that.
Stop being selfish and let your betrayed husband move forward and find happiness without your unending drama dragging him and the kids down.

M
M
Originally Posted by rbabc
I
I had multiple emotional and physical affairs, starting when we had only been married a short time, and we've had multiple false recoveries.
I keep trying to be a good wife but have failed time and time again.

It's pretty rare to see this level of cruelty so openly on display. You have known for a very long time how much your affairs hurt him but you continue to do it. It is obvious you have never tried to stop having affairs.

Then you come here and act like you care. Do you know why you are so cruel?

This time he says that if I move, I'm not coming back. ......ever.

What are you waiting for? Leaving and getting divorced would be in his best interest and yours. Just go.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thank you both for your candor......

It's pretty rare to see this level of cruelty so openly on display.
I am being open about this because I am done hiding and lying. I lied for years and the only thing it did was hurt my husband because he couldn't figure out what was wrong.

It is obvious you have never tried to stop having affairs.

I did stop for 23 years while I was raising my kids but I was not honest about it so my husband didn't know what he was dealing with.
I am not making excuses.....I know what I am.

I am sick for what I have done. I know I destroyed a good family with my selfishness but I truly care about my husband and my sons.

I can't undo any of it but am hoping to get direction as to how to let go when my husband doesn't want me to. He still thinks we can save our marriage and until this past month, I thought maybe there was a chance.

And no, I don't know why I am so cruel. I look in the mirror and hate what I see.

D
D
I would contact Dr. H directly if I were you. Mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

DrH will help you understand why your selfish side keeps flip flopping in what it wants. He will also zero in on the holes in EPs.

You are never to be trusted by yourself or your husband again. Please contact Dr H to understand what that looks like. Tell him what you wrote about yourself that you deleted. That is a great thing to write to him.

Will you do that?

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by zibbles
You miss having a home and being part of a family? You need to EARN that and there's nothing here showing even one tiny degree of you being willing or able to do that.
Stop being selfish and let your betrayed husband move forward and find happiness without your unending drama dragging him and the kids down.

I know I have to earn it and the past 7 years I have not done anything to deserve it.

I don't know how to move on. The last time I left, I knew I could come back. This time it is permanent. How do I tell my kids? Not that it matters but I am physically sick over this.
Being honest is much tougher than lying about everything.

D
D
It looks like you reposted...

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
I would contact Dr. H directly if I were you. Mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

DrH will help you understand why your selfish side keeps flip flopping in what it wants. He will also zero in on the holes in EPs.

You are never to be trusted by yourself or your husband again. Please contact Dr H to understand what that looks like. Tell him what you wrote about yourself that you deleted. That is a great thing to write to him.

Will you do that?

Yes I can do that but I am not sure what I deleted, I was trying to figure out how to use quotes.

M
M

I did stop for 23 years while I was raising my kids but I was not honest about it so my husband didn't know what he was dealing with.
I am not making excuses.....I know what I am.[/quote]

So you know you can stop.........but WON'T.

I am sick for what I have done. I know I destroyed a good family with my selfishness but I truly care about my husband and my sons.

But you care more about your selfish interests, at their expense. Care is demonstrated by actions, not empty talk.

I can't undo any of it but am hoping to get direction as to how to let go when my husband doesn't want me to. He still thinks we can save our marriage and until this past month, I thought maybe there was a chance.

You knew there was no chance because you had no intention of changing.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
So you know you can stop.........but WON'T.

But you care more about your selfish interests, at their expense. Care is demonstrated by actions, not empty talk.

You knew there was no chance because you had no intention of changing.

Thank you for your honesty Melodylane, I agree with you....what would you suggest I do?

M
M
[
Thank you for your honesty Melodylane, I agree with you....what would you suggest I do?

Why not send your husband here?

Exposure 101

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have mentioned him coming here a few times.
He is away for the weekend but I will ask him again when he gets back.

B
B
I have mentioned him coming here a few times.
He is away for the weekend but I will ask him again when he gets back.
Does he travel a lot?

What are the avenues that you use to have affairs? How do you meet these OMen? Do they know you are married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Does he travel a lot?

What are the avenues that you use to have affairs? How do you meet these OMen? Do they know you are married?
Yes, he spends alot of time away. This is weekend 5 in a row. Often he takes our sons but they don't like to spend every weekend in the mountains.
I used to meet men at the gym but quit going a few years ago. In the past 7 years there has been the same man on and off.
.....And yes they knew I was married. They didn't care.
I am trying to keep this about me and my choices but for a bit more background. My husband has always said I didn't respect him and rejected him which is why he said mean things. I tried telling him that I needed more from our marriage but he didn't seem to think it was important. After I confessed my last affair he was shattered (rightly so) and kept telling me he needed time to process it. After another 6 months of him not wanting to make any plans for the future doing his own thing without me, I got tired of being in limbo so I caved and texted my AP

I know i was wrong. frown

Last edited by rbabc; 03/11/17 02:47 PM.
U
U
There is really nothing we can say or do to help you. You have already familiarized yourself with the Marriage Builders policies, yet continue to act in a selfish and non MB manner. You admittedly are a serial cheater who has taken advantage of your BH's enabling for years. The most problematic issue is that you seem to want to pretend to be a passenger in your own life, one who has no control over your own desires and behavior. How on earth can we help somebody like that?

MB, as you know, is a program of action. Most of us here have had to take action in ways that were uncomfortable and difficult. Yet we did it because, you know, we are human beings who have choice, the choice to choose to do something or not do something. I assume that, unless you have a gun to your head or some kind of mental impairment that is not obvious in your writing style, you too can choose to live differently. Despite all that you have chosen for years not to.

With that all in mind, if you are still looking for advice:

1) Move out. You can. You are choosing not to because you are selfish.
2) Divorce and Plan B your husband. You can. You are choosing not to because you are selfish. He is an enabler who seems to be willing to accept crumbs, and if you have any decency you will make the decision that he cannot on his behalf.

R
rbabc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by unwritten
There is really nothing we can say or do to help you. You have already familiarized yourself with the Marriage Builders policies, yet continue to act in a selfish and non MB manner. You admittedly are a serial cheater who has taken advantage of your BH's enabling for years. The most problematic issue is that you seem to want to pretend to be a passenger in your own life, one who has no control over your own desires and behavior. How on earth can we help somebody like that?

MB, as you know, is a program of action. Most of us here have had to take action in ways that were uncomfortable and difficult. Yet we did it because, you know, we are human beings who have choice, the choice to choose to do something or not do something. I assume that, unless you have a gun to your head or some kind of mental impairment that is not obvious in your writing style, you too can choose to live differently. Despite all that you have chosen for years not to.

With that all in mind, if you are still looking for advice:

1) Move out. You can. You are choosing not to because you are selfish.
2) Divorce and Plan B your husband. You can. You are choosing not to because you are selfish. He is an enabler who seems to be willing to accept crumbs, and if you have any decency you will make the decision that he cannot on his behalf.

Thank you unwritten. ....I am not sure what I was hoping to accomplish by posting here but in reading (objectivly) what I have written and the input from you all it makes it quite clear what I need to do. Grow up, grow a backbone and leave my poor husband alone.

Thank you all for the work you do here.......

H
H
Growing a backbone - yes.
But also, setting yourself up for succes by making sure you have precautions in place so you cannot fail. E.G. by deleting OMs contact infos, not having access to a smartphone, etc.

I changed my way to work to avoid going by the shop where I would succumb to the attempt to buy chocolate.
In your new life, wether it is with your husband or not, you will have to control yourself.

I like this poem because it importantly states, that there is no freedom without discipline:

Stations on the Road to Freedom
by Dietrich Bonhoeffer(1906-1945)

Bonhoeffer wrote this prose poem a few months before his execution by the Nazi regime in 1945, translated by Frank Clarke.

Discipline
If you set out to seek freedom, then learn above all things to govern your soul and your senses,
for fear that your passions and longings may lead you away from the path you should follow.
Chaste be your mind and your body, and both in subjection, obediently, steadfastly seeking the aim set before them;
only through discipline may a man learn to be free.

Action
Daring to do what is right, not what fancy may tell you,
valiantly grasping occasions, not cravenly doubting �
freedom comes only through deeds, not through thoughts taking wing.
Faint not nor fear, but go out to the storm and the action,
trusting in God whose commandment you faithfully follow;
freedom, exultant, will welcome your spirit with joy.

Suffering
A change has come indeed.
Your hands, so strong and active, are bound; in helplessness now you see your action is ended;
you sigh in relief, your cause committing to stronger hands; so now you may rest contented.
Only for one blissful moment could you draw near to touch freedom;
then, that it might be perfected in glory, you gave it to God.

Death
Come now, thou greatest of feasts on the journey to freedom eternal;
death, cast aside all the burdensome chains, and demolish the walls of our temporal body, the walls of our souls that are blinded,
so that at last we may see that which here remains hidden.
Freedom, how long we have sought thee in discipline, action, and suffering;
dying, we now may behold thee revealed in the Lord.

[source: Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Letters & Papers from Prison, (c) 1953, SCM Press, LTD]
Dieterich Bonhoeffer was born into a family of seven children in Breslau, Germany. He grew up in Berlin, where his father worked as a prominent professor of psychiatry and neurology; his mother was one of the few women of her generation to obtain a university degree. At the age of 14 he decided he would become a Lutheran pastor and theologian. He was the first of the German theologians to speak out clearly against the persecution of the Jews. He was 39 years old when he was taken out of his prison and hanged as a Nazi traitor in 1945. As he left his cell he said to his companion, "This is the end � but for me, the beginning of life.".

I hope you find the freedom in discipline and action, for if you don't, you may experience suffering without meaning.

Last edited by happyheart; 03/12/17 04:47 PM.

me, DH
all the children
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation