Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23
chalkncheese #2897854 04/26/17 09:57 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I filed the restraining order and the judge did not grant a temporary. He would only setup a hearing. She will be served, and she will not be happy. I expect her to retaliate.

I know there is some sort of police report filed on Sunday's incident, but I have not been talked to by anybody yet.

Last edited by DeepSorrow; 04/26/17 09:58 AM.
DeepSorrow #2897855 04/26/17 10:14 AM
D
OP Offline
D
WW just texts me and says "I would like for you to stop talking bad about me to the kids"

The divorce agreement does have language that we are not to talk bad about the other spouse to the kids.

I was thinking about saying "I am not talking bad about you to the kids. I intend to follow our agreement."

I am worried about every communication with her now.

Last edited by DeepSorrow; 04/26/17 10:14 AM.
DeepSorrow #2897856 04/26/17 10:27 AM
J
J
"I have not said anything bad about you to the kids. They resent your affair and what it has done to our family."

DeepSorrow #2897865 04/26/17 11:45 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by DeepSorrow
WW just texts me and says "I would like for you to stop talking bad about me to the kids"

The divorce agreement does have language that we are not to talk bad about the other spouse to the kids.

I was thinking about saying "I am not talking bad about you to the kids. I intend to follow our agreement."

I am worried about every communication with her now.

Failure to respond could be construed negatively so I would immediately send back a simple and brief denial. I would not mention her affair in your reply.

kerala #2897877 04/26/17 12:44 PM
B
B
I have not said anything to them about you. They are very smart, observant young men. They are reaching their own conclusions and forming their own opinions all on their own based solely on your actions. I'm sorry their reaction to your affair is causing them so much pain but that is between you and them.

Last edited by Brits_Brat; 04/26/17 12:45 PM.
Brits_Brat #2897879 04/26/17 12:51 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
I have not said anything to them about you. They are very smart, observant young men. They are reaching their own conclusions and forming their own opinions all on their own based solely on your actions. I'm sorry their reaction to your affair is causing them so much pain but that is between you and them.

Bingo! Please send this response. Britsbrat is an attorney, btw

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2897891 04/26/17 02:01 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Here was her response.

"I know you have said things to them because they have told me. We need to get an agreement for custody or I cannot sign the house document yet."

Thoughts? Brits Brat?

Last edited by DeepSorrow; 04/26/17 02:12 PM.
DeepSorrow #2897892 04/26/17 02:02 PM
D
OP Offline
D
We have an agreement for custody and are trying to follow it before the divorce is final. The kids are not wanting to follow it if she continues in her affair.

DeepSorrow #2897902 04/26/17 03:07 PM
B
B
First, a disclaimer. I do not think I am licensed to practice law in your state so any comments I make are not intended as legal advice. They are personal observations or what you would find on your own through internet searches. You should seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. What iis the house document? What have you told the boys outside her presence? Remind me what state you're in. Depending on The answers to those questions:

If you haven't said anything, I would respond to her with, "I'm really shocked they would say that. What do they claim I said? The only thing I've said to them is what I said in your presence when we told them you want a divorce."

With regard to visitation, I know this isn't practical, but most courts in most states presume parental control and hold that the custodial parent must control the behavior of their minor children in visitation situations and force them to participate in visitation. The theory is a custodial parent cannot justify inaction simply because a child refuses to cooperate with a visitation order or agreement. There is a very good, although a bit dated, law review article that addresses this: http://lawecommoms.luc.edu/chi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1267&content=luclj

I know you and she are trying to do this with minimal attorney involvement but I think it's getting to be time you have your own counsel and she has hers if that's what she wants.

Last edited by Brits_Brat; 04/26/17 03:18 PM.
DeepSorrow #2897913 04/26/17 04:46 PM
M
M
Here was her response.

"I know you have said things to them because they have told me. We need to get an agreement for custody or I cannot sign the house document yet."

Thoughts? Brits Brat?

DS, i agree with BritsBrat that you need to contact your attorney. In most states they are not going to force teenagers to visit a parent. Dr Harley believes they should not be forced. I would contact your attorney to get the house document signed.

Doesn't she need the house document signed in order to get her share?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2897915 04/26/17 05:49 PM
D
OP Offline
D
It's just a change in the listing price.

DeepSorrow #2897919 04/26/17 07:37 PM
B
B
Courts will not force a teenager to comply with visitation but they will hold the custodial parent in contempt; especially, if there's any inkling the other parent is disparaging the non-custodial parent, any other evidence of bad faith or if the custodial parent doesn't make best efforts to encourage a child to comply. DS, you really need to consult with an attorney in your state about this.

Brits_Brat #2897920 04/26/17 07:49 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Courts will not force a teenager to comply with visitation but they will hold the custodial parent in contempt; especially, if there's any inkling the other parent is disparaging the non-custodial parent, any other evidence of bad faith or if the custodial parent doesn't make best efforts to encourage a child to comply. DS, you really need to consult with an attorney in your state about this.
And have a separate lawyer from your WW.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2897921 04/26/17 10:55 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I have an appointment with a lawyer on Friday.

DeepSorrow #2897922 04/27/17 03:52 AM
A
A
You should find a neutral location for drop-offs, like a McDonald's. It would also help if the kids had toiletries and clothes at both homes so they don't have to pack for each exchange, they can just take a what they need for school.

You should get a journal to document interactions with stbx. Example, "4/27/17 took kids to 2nd street McDonald's for drop off. "

apples123 #2897924 04/27/17 08:11 AM
D
OP Offline
D

Apples - I've got the journal going. I have finally woke up to the fact that this cannot be handled informally.

DeepSorrow #2897926 04/27/17 08:19 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Here's how I handled the communication. I decided to turn it back on her because she is not following the settlement/parenting plan.

I wrote, "We may need to talk to <lawyer> to understand the correct way to enforce the custody agreement with the kids. Your relationship with the kids (for which I can�t help them) is affecting our custody agreement. They were following the arrangement fine until Sunday, so I suspect something changed over the weekend. I do not know what exactly is going on at your house, and I do not want to know. Everything was fine when I dropped <13 yr old> off on Sunday. Then he shows up last night which surprised me, and I thought he was coming on Thursday. I asked him why he was home early, and he said you and <MIL> were talking mean about me, and it made him mad. If they bring you or your affair partner up, I am saying they need to discuss it with you or a counselor."

WW wrote back, "The kids seem fine when they are with me and then after they are with you then they act different. According to the divorce papers we are not supposed to talk bad about each other and we are to enforce/support the agreements. I don't feel you are doing that. We may need advice. Have you called <Lawyer> yet? It's been 30 days.

I wrote, "<17 yr old> told you the day he left that he would not live with you if you moved your affair partner into the house. If you moved him or his property into your house, then that is the reason the kids do not want to stay with you. This is between you and them. The agreement on the kid�s best interest extends to you, your mom, family and friends. You have not followed this. Lastly, the agreement also states that each party shall exercise good faith and due diligence in ensuring the sale of the real estate. You have been clear through phone calls and this email that you are NOT going to do this either. The property division has nothing to do with the parenting plan, and you are not following the agreement. So please sign the listing as we previously agreed to last Saturday. I want to work with you on these things, but I can�t help you with your affair partner and the kids. I�m sorry you are upset."

DeepSorrow #2897927 04/27/17 08:26 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I guess I made her mad again. Just some background. She has moved OM's things into her house including his dog. Her plan is that he will be there when the kids are with me. Here's her response.

"I have not moved anyone into my house. They are mistaken if they think this and we need to discuss it.

The agreement on the kids best interest says you are not to talk bad about me and you have not followed this. I'm sorry YOU are upset about my "affair partner" as you call it and are making sure the kids feel exactly as you do since your words are coming out of their mouths.

You have not shown that you want to work with me on these things. And the custody agreement says nothing about anything regarding my house. You are not following the parenting plan, that is your job as a parent.

We will discuss the sale of the property when the divorce papers are final. Have you contacted the lawyer about this or do I need to?"

DeepSorrow #2897929 04/27/17 09:30 AM
M
M
wow, she is completely oblivious to the fact that her affair has affected her kids! What incredible cluelessness! I guess she needs to be clueless so she can blame it on you. I hope you can get this divorce finalized QUICK.

Exposure 101

DeepSorrow #2897930 04/27/17 09:30 AM
M
M
Here's how I handled the communication. I decided to turn it back on her because she is not following the settlement/parenting plan.

I wrote, "We may need to talk to <lawyer> to understand the correct way to enforce the custody agreement with the kids. Your relationship with the kids (for which I can�t help them) is affecting our custody agreement. They were following the arrangement fine until Sunday, so I suspect something changed over the weekend. I do not know what exactly is going on at your house, and I do not want to know. Everything was fine when I dropped <13 yr old> off on Sunday. Then he shows up last night which surprised me, and I thought he was coming on Thursday. I asked him why he was home early, and he said you and <MIL> were talking mean about me, and it made him mad. If they bring you or your affair partner up, I am saying they need to discuss it with you or a counselor."

WW wrote back, "The kids seem fine when they are with me and then after they are with you then they act different. According to the divorce papers we are not supposed to talk bad about each other and we are to enforce/support the agreements. I don't feel you are doing that. We may need advice. Have you called <Lawyer> yet? It's been 30 days.

I wrote, "<17 yr old> told you the day he left that he would not live with you if you moved your affair partner into the house. If you moved him or his property into your house, then that is the reason the kids do not want to stay with you. This is between you and them. The agreement on the kid�s best interest extends to you, your mom, family and friends. You have not followed this. Lastly, the agreement also states that each party shall exercise good faith and due diligence in ensuring the sale of the real estate. You have been clear through phone calls and this email that you are NOT going to do this either. The property division has nothing to do with the parenting plan, and you are not following the agreement. So please sign the listing as we previously agreed to last Saturday. I want to work with you on these things, but I can�t help you with your affair partner and the kids. I�m sorry you are upset."

this is perfect! You did a great job of outlining the problem.

Exposure 101

Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,024 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation