Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 49 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 48 49
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by living_well
Makes sense, OC may miss his father even more than the others do. You might also want to make sure he knows that his birth mother gave him up because she loves him. That was a very important thing for me to hold onto as a child. My birth mother could not keep me. Of course when I met my birth parents I found that the reality was a little more complex than that.

Thanks so much Living Well. He does miss WH more than the others! It has taken me by surprise because he had the least close relationship with him. He is the one most prepared to suffer WH's wrath to ask him questions about breaking up with girlfriends. But I think he misses the dream of the family as much as WH himself. Yes, I will make sure he knows that his mother wanted him to have a better life than she could give him because she loved him so much (which I think was the main motivation).

Originally Posted by Living_Well
You do realise that the visa problems will be all your fault too don't you? lol

Hahahaha! I am definitely used to being the cause of all bad things in his life. What power I have!

Can he get them replacement birth certificates?

I have been thinking about this. I suspect if he called the registry office of the town where I and my first son were born in the UK and said he wanted a copy of the birth entry for my son, then he would be able to get it. But I suspect he doesn't know he can do that, and, since he doesn't do anything the official way (instead, he prefers to bribe people and cheat his way around rules), the chances of him finding out are slim. He would also have to put in time and effort to do a google search, and I don't think he puts in time and effort for anything - at least that is what the legal experience has shown. Our other two children were born in South Africa and he wouldn't be able to get documentation for them without coming to this country - and he doesn't have a visa. Catch 22.

Teaching children to tell the truth is never wrong.

Keep it short and factual.

Thank you. That reassures me.

Originally Posted by chalkncheese
He wants them to think that we have split up because of some "complicated adult problems" - but that is so untrue and morally confusing. However, I feel uncomfortable countering what he says because it is very difficult to not seem like I am insulting him.

[/quote]

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS2 7 (from one of WH's previous affairs, lives with me)
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan B (first attempt) Feb 21 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017
Plan B (properly) Aug 31 2017

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - and blaming it on you....or being lied about don't deal in lies..." IF, by Rudyard Kipling https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/46473
C
OP Offline
C
WH has responded to the maintenance application saying he doesn't have legal representation and wants to represent himself - and please could the judge forgive his lack of knowledge of the processes. I am totally baffled.

In this country, self-representation in the high court is definitely not an option.

Last edited by chalkncheese; 10/10/17 06:53 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - and blaming it on you....or being lied about don't deal in lies..." IF, by Rudyard Kipling https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/46473
C
OP Offline
C
My lawyer has just called me to say that WH seems to have neglected to object to the actual amount of money I am asking for rotflmao

He got so carried away with objecting to everything under the sun - his address, the circumstances of our separation, where his employer is based, whether the children can be considered under my "primary care" if we are separated, my "unilateral" decision to throw him out, etc, etc - that he forgot to object to the main point of the application. And since he is refusing to get legal representation, I will now go to court unopposed again - but this time with a nice helping hand from my husband who has declined his only opportunity to contest the amount.

I keep preparing myself for a fight against a criminal mastermind given that he is so skilled at deception, gaslighting and manipulation when it comes to cheating....but then get totally blindsided (in a good way) when he reveals himself to be an absolute idiot AGAIN.

Last edited by chalkncheese; 10/10/17 08:59 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

L
L
He got so carried away with objecting to everything under the sun - his address, the circumstances of our separation, where his employer is based, whether the children can be considered under my "primary care" if we are separated, my "unilateral" decision to throw him out, etc, etc - that he forgot to object to the main point of the application. And since he is refusing to get legal representation, I will now go to court unopposed again - but this time with a nice helping hand from my husband who has declined his only opportunity to contest the amount.

Don't celebrate too soon. If the court gives him permission to represent himself, they will allow him to correct mistakes. My XWH is representing himself and is permitted to blow through deadlines/perjure himself in ways that no represented person would be permitted to do.

My XWH has told the court he is representing himself because he is penniless.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
C
OP Offline
C

Don't celebrate too soon. If the court gives him permission to represent himself, they will allow him to correct mistakes. My XWH is representing himself and is permitted to blow through deadlines/perjure himself in ways that no represented person would be permitted to do.

My XWH has told the court he is representing himself because he is penniless.

Thanks Living Well. I did check and double check that he cannot possibly represent himself in the high court. Even attorneys are not allowed to do so; only advocates. But I will not get complacent as you suggest.

WH said in his affidavit that he can't afford a lawyer but also included his payslip showing that he earns USD10 000 (per month) after tax....

Last edited by chalkncheese; 10/10/17 09:35 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

C
OP Offline
C
Just thought I'd give a bit of an update since I haven't posted in a while. WH has started responding to court papers but inadequately and without legal representation. Although as Living Well warned, him doing this stuff on his own actually makes things more difficult for me. Everything he writes in his affidavits is lies. Absolutely every single word. But despite the fact that I keep records of everything, can produce reams of emails and messages refuting everything he says, we are stuck in a kind of limbo where things can't move forward properly and are not getting resolved.

He has a very clever tactic of agreeing to everything but then not doing it. And when we point out that he is not doing it, he just says again that he is. I am frustrated by how everyone is so easily taken in by him, and that I can't communicate the WORDS VERSES ACTIONS message effectively enough to get people to understand.

He won't get away with things in the end, because he is lying so much all the time and ignoring court orders that bring criminal contempt proceedings here, but it just means i have to fight so hard and put in so much effort at every step of the way that I am tired and frustrated.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

C
OP Offline
C
OW is also trying to lie and bribe her way out of her criminal prosecution. We were supposed to have the full hearing on Tuesday this week, but after I drove my four children 6 hours to court, and rounded up the entire prosecution witness team myself and transported them to the court house (including the arresting police officer), we found both the prosecutor, the defence counsel and the defendant were missing in action. We found the prosecutor at around 10:30 in the morning and he seemed very annoyed that I had brought along all the witnesses and even that I was there. He then called OW's lawyer and he came along with her at about 11 (court starts at 8:30). We then had a bizarre song and dance where we were ordered in and out of the court room a few times, and then we went into the magistrate's chambers where the prosecutor delivered a totally untrue story about why he didn't want to proceed with the case that day - and the defence counsel backed him up!!!! I know that what they were saying was not true (that OW was supposed to be out of the country for a work related course) because I checked with OW's boss, who is a friend of mine. So I am now working on getting the prosecutor taken off the case and informing the lawyer's association about the fact that OW's lawyer lied in court.....

The hearing has been postponed to January. That will make it an entire year to get a prosecution for a 15-minute incident that happened in public with multiple witnesses.

Last edited by chalkncheese; 10/26/17 06:44 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

L
L
He won't get away with things in the end, because he is lying so much all the time and ignoring court orders that bring criminal contempt proceedings here, but it just means i have to fight so hard and put in so much effort at every step of the way that I am tired and frustrated.

Relax and pace yourself, you are the tortoise and he is the hare. You will win in the end but it is going to take infinite patience on your part. Nobody has ever seen someone like your WH before so it will take them a while to get their head around the fact that an apparently highly functional individual is just playing with them.

Funny story to make you smile; my WXH was in court recently to try to overturn a freeze I had imposed on some assets of his that I discovered hidden in another country. He came into the court room waiving an eviction order and said that he was about to be put on the street and made homeless. The judge was duly impressed although there was actually nothing he could do as a US court has no jurisdiction over foreign assets.

However, my lawyer looked in the court records and found that there was no eviction. After 10 years of representing me against this individual, his eyes were finally opened.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
L
L
OW is also trying to lie and bribe her way out of her criminal prosecution.

Just think about what this is costing her :-)

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
C
OP Offline
C

Relax and pace yourself, you are the tortoise and he is the hare. You will win in the end but it is going to take infinite patience on your part. Nobody has ever seen someone like your WH before so it will take them a while to get their head around the fact that an apparently highly functional individual is just playing with them.

Funny story to make you smile; my WXH was in court recently to try to overturn a freeze I had imposed on some assets of his that I discovered hidden in another country. He came into the court room waiving an eviction order and said that he was about to be put on the street and made homeless. The judge was duly impressed although there was actually nothing he could do as a US court has no jurisdiction over foreign assets.

However, my lawyer looked in the court records and found that there was no eviction. After 10 years of representing me against this individual, his eyes were finally opened.

Thank you so much Living Well. I can't tell you the relief to hear your experience and know I am not alone in dealing with this kind of person. I keep trying to tell my lawyers that EVERY SINGLE WORD HE WRITES is a lie. They nod and say they understand, but they don't! They don't have any idea! And they are totally taken in by his charm and gentle politeness. Luckily I am good at documentation, and we have both had travelling jobs for years, so we have always communicated things by email, giving me a solid paper trail of evidence for absolutely everything. I don't mind spending my nights drafting legal papers either. But it is the frustration of not being able to make people understand what they are dealing with that gets to me frown. I guess you are right that they will see through it in the end.

My WH produced a "payslip" as an annex in one of his affidavits which was a word document stamped with an official-looking stamp that had his company name (his employer - it is not his company) and his personal mobile number on it. Confusingly for other people, he has actually included the right amount he is earning on it. But I know that what he is doing is building up a paper trail so that he can submit a future "pay slip" constructed in the same way with fabricated figures to disguise any future annual pay increases. But trying to get my lawyer to understand that this is NOT A PAY SLIP is really hard. They think I am making a fuss about something that is not very important.

Last edited by chalkncheese; 10/26/17 07:58 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

C
OP Offline
C

rotflmao It also cheers me up to think of the hole she keeps digging herself into with her lies. Her boss has asked me to keep her in the loop, so I am obliging and asking her to confirm all the details of stories that get presented in court. Nobody wants to employ a liar.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

L
L

rotflmao It also cheers me up to think of the hole she keeps digging herself into with her lies. Her boss has asked me to keep her in the loop, so I am obliging and asking her to confirm all the details of stories that get presented in court. Nobody wants to employ a liar.

twoxfour

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
C
OP Offline
C
I feel flooded by WH's lies, drowning. It is just the same problem that the US seems to be grappling with on a national scale. What do you do when someone totally disregards the idea of truth yet continues to talk, and write stuff, and act each day as if there is some legitimacy to what they say and do - and then the rest of us get forced into this position of involuntarily agreeing to accept falsehoods as being as good as truth because there really isn't any mechanism to exchange information that doesn't rely on words. And words are so easy to make untrue.

I think to myself surely, surely the entire world is not based on lies?! Surely there is some point where we all stop and verify the evidence and get back to what is true or not? But I don't think there is. Fact checking everything is impossible. And nobody has the time - or even access to the necessary information required for confirmation. Liars know this. And they laugh at the rest of us (mostly) honest people because of our respect for rules, which are really only ever voluntarily adhered to. If you really want to flout rules, you can. They know that there is no way anyone can really check the truth of everything. And they know that if they are caught in a lie, they will just make up more, which piles more work onto the person trying to keep track of the truth. How depressing.

It seems so ridiculous that our international standard for ensuring we get the truth is to make someone put their hand up in the air and tell us in a very serious voice that they are not lying. And that is all we can do.

Last edited by chalkncheese; 10/26/17 08:51 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

A
A
Your line about putting a hand in the air and swearing in a serious voice made me lol! In my job as a prosecutor I have to hammer into jurors minds that just because someone takes an oath to tell the truth doesn't mean they are going to do it! What a novel concept.

I share so many of your frustrations, but on a smaller scale. The lack of participation of a WH in divorce does make things more difficult I agree. My lawyer has written WH a scolding letter berating him for being a divorce lawyer himself and acting so incompetent in this process, but still the non participation continues. Also, you are so right that it does feel like we can never keep up with their lies, and normal people do not comprehend that someone could actually be lying this much! I've been trying to get WH's husband's family to see it, and they do for the moments they talk to me but then they go radio silent again, based on more lies from him I imagine.

If its so exhausting for us and we probably only catch a fraction of their lies, how can they possibly function keeping all their lies straight?? And why would anyone want to live like that? I truly do not understand it.

Living Well is right, it is going to take infinite patience from us (ugh so unfair) but in the end, whether it be the force of our own will, divine intervention, or cosmic karma, I believe our goodness will prevail.

BW (Me): 39
FWH: 39
DD: 5
DS: 3

D-Day 1: 5/8/17
Plan B started: 6/19/17
For real: 11/13/17-4/3/18
Affair ended: 3/25/18

DD 2: 2/14/20

C
OP Offline
C
On Saturday I found documents (in the suitcase I kept when I threw WH out) forging consent from OC's bio mum for visa applications and travel permission. I can clearly see they are forged documents because the signature is totally different from her actual signature. But they are "official" affidavits stamped by an agent of the state in my husband's home country (one of the most corrupt places on the planet) certifying that bio mum signed them in front of him. Knowingly submitting fake documents in a visa application is a criminal offence (obviously).

I told my lawyer about the documents, but have had zero response. I have also tried phoning the department of home affairs (which manages visas) to ask them if there is a way to verify that the most recent visa application contained this forged document, but they replied that there is no way at all a forged document could have been used because they "verify" all applications and their processes are flawless.

faint

So, now I am in a bit of a quandry. I have evidence that WH has faked OC's mum's consent for something that is central to my current legal issues. But no one seems interested. What can I do about it? Living Well, do you have any advice from you experience? Surely, at the very least, it should mean I can demand a higher standard of proof for the claims (lies) he writes in affidavits to the court, shouldn't it?

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

C
OP Offline
C
I'm really confused about why my attorney isn't more interested in evidence of WH doing something criminal. Surely, that is great for our case?! Living Well, were you able to use the fact that your XWH had presented a fake eviction order in court in any future legal things? Or when he forged your signature to move assets?

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

L
L
I'm really confused about why my attorney isn't more interested in evidence of WH doing something criminal. Surely, that is great for our case?!

Conserve your energy otherwise you will burn out.

Divorce is a civil action. Forgery is criminal. OC's birth mother can ask for your WH to be prosecuted for forgery but there is a better way to use this information (see below).

Keep these documents carefully and be strategic about them. Your best advantage lies in WH not knowing what you have. Be like Julius Caesar and use surprise. You casually introduce this document (perhaps with an attached statement from birth mother) in response to, for instance, a sworn statement from him that OC's birth mother wants him to have custody. He will think you have secret access to all his files. That will really spook him.

Living Well, were you able to use the fact that your XWH had presented a fake eviction order in court in any future legal things? Or when he forged your signature to move assets?

When I originally discovered the forgery on my savings account and the instruction to send statements to a private address that only he had access to, I went to a lawyer who specialized in criminal prosecution. He thought the DA might be interested so I went to WH (not yet X) and told him to back down or he would be accused of a criminal offense. Totally the wrong move on my part. WH immediately went on the offensive and told me to do what I wanted. In the event the DA refused to get involved because it was a marital asset and had been ostensibly divided so he won that round. Eventually I will be able to use this however because the asset was divided improperly.

On the fake eviction order, we were able to state that there was no record of an eviction. It made WXH look silly but that was all.

On the freezing of the three foreign accounts, he told the court that my lawyer had found this money which is too funny. My lawyer could not find a hat on his own head. But presumably now he is scrambling to hide the rest of his foreign assets most of which are in a Bermuda Trust. Those were recently the subject of a massive hack. I am betting that he is not sleeping well at night.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
U
U
Chalk, can bringing this forgery to the attention of authorities cause problems for OC being with you? I mean, if they were to make his visa null and void, would they send him back to bio mom because he doesn't have the proper paperwork or her consent to be in your country? Or maybe I am just confused on how this all works...

I am guessing you have thought all of this through, just thought I would ask. I would let sleeping dogs who forge documents lie if it protected OC at this point.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks so much Living Well and Unwritten. I was feeling really frustrated a few days ago when I posted, then I put some pressure on my lawyer and things have started moving again.

Living Well, I am so reassured by your words of wisdom. I was getting caught up in wanting things to happen NOW, but you are right this is a long-game and I need to find a way to be happy and calm while letting it progress at the rate it needs to.

My lawyer, when I eventually got hold of her, echoed yours and Unwritten's advice about keeping the documents for strategic use later. I am so glad that Plan B has completely removed my desire to confront WH with all new pieces of evidence of his wickedness. I definitely did struggle with attempting to scare WH with my knowledge of what consequences will come to him whenever I made such discoveries over the first few months after I threw him out. But I have now learned that it is much more beneficial to keep my mouth shut and that all I would be doing is revealing my strategy to him. It's not as though he doesn't know there are consequences for cheating, lying and faking official documents. He just doesn't believe he will ever be held to account - or that if he is, he is 100% sure he can argue his way out of it. Me shouting at him again is not going to shake that self-belief.

Unwritten, it is unlikely that any judge would be able to send OC back to his bio mum because she and WH both live in a war zone now (or at least the country is descending rapidly into civil war), and he has been living with me since he was 3 years old, doesn't have a relationship with her and doesn't speak her language. Since the High Court here is the ultimate guardian of all children resident within its jurisdiction, it is unlikely that they would send a child to live there when the country is at the same time receiving an influx of asylum seekers from the same place due to conflict. There's also the fact that we have legal consent to adoption from her from 2014 (all done properly with lawyers here and in her home country), I now have a court order giving me full parental rights, guardianship and full custody, that he is living with three biological siblings so not just his step-mum, and that she is unemployed and unmarried with no family environment to take him back to. But more than that, on a practical level, she would have to physically come here, get a lawyer, and launch a counter application to mine - all in a language she doesn't speak or understand. So you are right that it is possible theoretically, but very unlikely.

Saying all that though, my lawyer agreed with you and said best keep the papers up our sleeves so we can use them against him in court when necessary.

Last edited by chalkncheese; 11/02/17 06:29 AM.

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

C
OP Offline
C
I just reported OW's lawyer to the Law Society for lying in court and the state prosecutor to his boss for actively preventing the case proceeding. 😁 I am kind of glad for all my legal issues now because I would never have known my way around corrupt African justice systems before. And I'm sure I must be developing important life skills along the way

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017

Page 36 of 49 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation