Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I woke up 3 weeks ago and my wife and son were gone. A couple of days later, she's telling me that she left because it was toxic(verbal from both, never physical). Of course I begged a little. She left me to run our family business that is not doable for one person. So I began hiring anyone I could to help me. After a few days she agreed to come back in (initially 6 months)90 days, providing that I go to counseling. I agree, but not really sure what she's wanting me to get from it. I asked, but she only repeats, "We need to heal." She just kept repeating this. I really started questioning her sanity. No explanation just, "We need to heal." So I suggested that she come home and we go to a marriage counselor. She said, "No." And she said that I should work on me. She suggested that I should get counseling for myself. ??. She later agreed to me going to counseling for a month alone. And keep in mind that I am struggling with the business and losing clients. My wife handle the invoices, payroll, bookkeeping, etc. Me crying and pleading on the phone means nothing. So I/we settle for me to go to counseling for a month, then group(with out 2 adult kids) the second month.
I went to counseling(alone) and told him the situation. The therapist said what I was thinking,...that he needed to hear what her problem with me was, obviously. I told the counselor that she once said that I was Bipolar and a Narcissist. He said that I had no symptoms of either.

I talked my 19 year old son into coming back. He's here now helping me with the business.

She and the kids ended up coming to the second sessions. And there I learned that I just needed to listen to my family. I agreed. But my wife doesn't want to come home, yet. Huh? She said we will evaluate the situation in 5 weeks or so and then a couple of weeks after that she will come home. I'm not getting this. What the hell is going on?

B
B
Welcome to MB.

How long have you been married? How many and how old are your kids?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
What are her complaints about you? Is she having an affair?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Together 27 years. Married 23 years. Our Adults kids are son:19(lives at home) and Daughter:26

Last edited by MrBigBoy; 09/14/18 07:46 PM. Reason: forgot to add kids age
M
OP Offline
M
Is she having an affair?? I have no idea. I mentioned her complaints; I'm Bipolar and a Narcissist. But that was later ruled out by the counselor.

Last edited by MrBigBoy; 09/14/18 07:49 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by MrBigBoy
Is she having an affair?? I have no idea.

I would strongly suggest you check into it. Don't ask her, but quietly investigate.

I mentioned her complaints; I'm Bipolar and a Narcissist. But that was later ruled out by the counselor.

That is not a complaint, that is a diagnosis. What are the behaviors that bother her?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Dr Harley says that when there's a spouse who decides to separate his default assumption is affair and he is nearly always right.

Add in that she's coming off as insane and that she's got complaints that don't make sense and she's keen on counselling (so long as it doesn't go anywhere) and is trying to pin blame on you; it all sounds very much like an affair.

Every wayward spouse has those particular behaviours.

Can you hire a PI? It shouldn't take more than two days to get the goods.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
OP Offline
M
Who is Dr. Harley? I did think about this. But, she took our son with her. I think she would have left our 19 year old son with me. And I later found out that she went to her mother's house, in another state. These two factors does not support affair for me.

Last edited by MrBigBoy; 09/15/18 06:42 AM. Reason: added more to content
M
OP Offline
M
Her complaints are that I argue a lot and I'm self centered. The counselor did say that I am very passionate(and aggressive) about work and getting my family ahead. He suggested that I be more gentle and understanding. I'm working on that.

M
M
I'm working on that.

"Working on it" usually means "I haven't changed, and I'm hoping my spouse won't call me on that fact."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Who is Dr. Harley?

You are on his website, and when you signed up for the forum, you clicked a box that said "I agree to read Dr. Harley's basic concepts for marriage before posting." One of the first links in the basic concepts section introduces you to Dr. Harley and his experiences saving marriages as a counselor.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
OP Offline
M
I said that I am working on it. Be mature, don't do that.

M
M
I said that I am working on it. Be mature, don't do that.

"Working on it" means you haven't made any changes. That's really cute.

Exposure 101

M
M
I am very passionate(and aggressive) about work and getting my family ahead.

Translation: I make unilateral decisions and aggressively force them on her using the justification that I am "getting my family ahead."

Am I right?

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Wrong. I think you should leave this to the professionals, or anyone with some sort of respectable education. No offense, but I hope you two(markos and MelodyLane) are not representatives for this forum. I don't mind you asking me anything, but do not make unintelligent accusations. I will not be apart of any forum where I am attacked by anyone.

M
M
Wrong. I think you should leave this to the professionals, or anyone with some sort of respectable education. No offense, but I hope you two(markos and MelodyLane) are not representatives for this forum. I don't mind you asking me anything, but do not make unintelligent accusations. I will not be apart of any forum where I am attacked by anyone.

Is this how you behave at home?

Exposure 101

M
M
I can see some of the issues just from reading this thread:

1. argumentative
2. insulting
3. defensive
4. aggressive
5. closed minded

We can help you with those issues, but you have to be open to change. It doesn't seem like you are at all. Rather you are hanging onto to the "trying to change" excuse.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
**EDIT**

Last edited by Denali; 09/15/18 11:11 AM. Reason: TOS personal attack
M
M
Thanks for proving my point. Best of luck to you, buddy. grin

Exposure 101

D
Administrator
Administrator
D
We are locking this thread because of numerous TOS violations. Personal attacks are against our TOS. Stop asking for advice if you are going to attack posters who take the time to post to you. Email me directly if you have any questions.

MBDenali@gmail.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation