Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47
BTinTrouble #3009515 08/20/19 09:45 PM
B
OP Offline
B
@prisca - I didn't know my wife was on here in 2015 talking about something. I didn't refuse to engage on anything.

@markos - thanks for the link, I will read that next.

I stayed up all night the other night because I had an issue I wanted to talk to her about but I didn't want to engage in Love Buster's. I wanted to, for once, make a complaint in a healthy and respectful way.

So I made a list of every thought and feeling I was having. Then I started labelling them. When I found a selfish demand, I would stop and consider if it was demanded of me if I would be OK with it. I would ask myself if that was a healthy, respectful or effective way to address what I wanted, and if it wasnt, why not. For DJ's I would identify what the negative assumption was and what things I didn't KNOW that made it an assumption and therefore unfair. I went through the list over and over adding to it as new thoughts and feelings occurred to me and deleting Love Buster's as I identified and resolved them.

The whole process of paying attention to what I am feeling is new to me, difficult and takes time. I believe the 4 things I had left were the basis for a respectful complaint and we had a good conversation in the morning.

I don't want that to take all night every time. I am hoping practice improves proficiency. But, if it takes all night everytime, protecting her is worth it.

Lifelong recovery never ends.

BTinTrouble #3009516 08/20/19 09:52 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by BTinTrouble
@markos - thanks for the link, I will read that next.

Great! Can you post your answer to my questions above? Trying to give you some help, here.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
BTinTrouble #3009517 08/20/19 09:56 PM
P
P
I'd also like some answers to my questions. You were having Angry Outbursts in 2015. Are you still having Angry Outbursts? Would your wife say that you are having Angry Outbursts?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #3009518 08/20/19 10:03 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Prisca
Now she is asleep next to me, I will go to bed in about 20 mins, but she will be asleep (again) for 'our' nightly prayer.
If markos had written this sentence about me, I would not talk to him for a week. It is disrespectful and sarcastic.
Do you see the disrespect here?

It is just apparent to me that all of the things getting her energy and attention besides me are the priority.
This is a Disrespectful Judgement.
And in this statement -- do you see the disrespect?

I resent being told that we will do something (SF, a conversation, cuddling, a walk, w,e) and she will pass out as soon as we get near a bed.
How do you treat her when you feel this resentment? This is a situation that can very easily be seen by her as a Demand on your part. If she cannot back out of an agreed upon activity without punishment, then it is a Demand.
Do you understand how this can be seen as demanding?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009519 08/20/19 10:10 PM
P
P
I stayed up all night the other night because I had an issue I wanted to talk to her about but I didn't want to engage in Love Buster's. I wanted to, for once, make a complaint in a healthy and respectful way.
Admirable.

So I made a list of every thought and feeling I was having. Then I started labelling them. When I found a selfish demand, I would stop and consider if it was demanded of me if I would be OK with it. I would ask myself if that was a healthy, respectful or effective way to address what I wanted, and if it wasnt, why not. For DJ's I would identify what the negative assumption was and what things I didn't KNOW that made it an assumption and therefore unfair. I went through the list over and over adding to it as new thoughts and feelings occurred to me and deleting Love Buster's as I identified and resolved them.

This is a difficult process at the beginning, especially when it comes to Disrespectful Judgements. Do continue to do this. And in addition, as her to keep you accountable. Let her know you want her to tell you when she finds you demanding or disrespectful -- or if you say something she finds upsetting, but she can't put into words why it is upsetting. Sometimes the disrespect can be subtle, and that is why it is very difficult to eliminate altogether. She may find herself upset, and not understand why she feels that way.

I believe the 4 things I had left were the basis for a respectful complaint and we had a good conversation in the morning.
What was her feelings about the conversation?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009520 08/20/19 10:11 PM
P
P
Will your wife return here to post?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009521 08/20/19 10:12 PM
B
OP Offline
B
@markos - by Dr. Harley's definition, and the definition I want to measure myself against, yes, I have been abusive.

According to that definition, every single person in every marriage I have ever seen is abusive. That is anecdotal to be sure, maybe my family is just full of abusive people.
If that is not normal to anyone else, than I congratulate your good fortune in having living models you can observe. That does not make abusive behavior on my part excusable.

I think it is important to know though, that there is a stark difference between Dr. Harley's definition of abuse and the legal definition of what constitutes abuse, and some of those marriages I have seen are not abusive by the legal definition.

I think the difference is, if your 'line' is not doing illegal abuse, you won't have a happy and fulfilling marriage and I think that is the point Dr Harley is trying to make by correctly labeling all Love Buster's, as behaviors that destroy love, as abuse.

It's just frustrating when having a conversation where the legal definition is being applied and used, and then getting switched to Dr Harley's definition when the legal standard doesn't hold.

BTinTrouble #3009522 08/20/19 10:17 PM
M
M
@markos - by Dr. Harley's definition, and the definition I want to measure myself against, yes, I have been abusive.

According to that definition, every single person in every marriage I have ever seen is abusive. That is anecdotal to be sure, maybe my family is just full of abusive people.
If that is not normal to anyone else, than I congratulate your good fortune in having living models you can observe.

You realize my story is that I came here as an abusive husband and saved my marriage by learning to stop being an abusive husband, right?

I think it is important to know though, that there is a stark difference between Dr. Harley's definition of abuse and the legal definition of what constitutes abuse, and some of those marriages I have seen are not abusive by the legal definition.

Don't you think it's time to learn Dr. Harley's definition so his system can help you, here?

I'm not asking you these questions to shame you - I'm asking these questions to find out if you are ready to get busy and do Marriage Builders!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
BTinTrouble #3009523 08/20/19 10:21 PM
P
P
This is neither here nor there when it comes to saving your marriage.

Her emotions and the state of your marriage does not care if your abuse falls under the legal definition. The law wasn't designed to save marriages.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009524 08/20/19 10:23 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Oh my gosh.... I can't keep up.

@prisca - yes I see the DJs in my previous posts. I post here as a stream of consciousness so I can read it outside myself and get feedback like yours. Thank you. I am still exploring and trying to find better ways to help me identify destructive behaviors so I can eliminate them.

I have no idea if my wife will post here. I showed her my thread here about 8-9 years ago, but I never saw her thread or user name.

What you said about having her keep me honest by asking her for feedback is what I am hoping for. It has been a problem for us for a long time that she isn't honest with me when she is unhappy. I believe that conversation went well mostly because after ward she opened up about having DJ thoughts and I said thanks for telling me.

No, I am not having Angry Outbursts since Jun 18 this year. Maybe since earlier, but i know none since at least then. I suffer them, but I don't retaliate any more.

BTinTrouble #3009525 08/20/19 10:37 PM
B
OP Offline
B

I was not aware of your story Markos. I may have been 10 years ago, but I don't recall today. Definitely recognize your name and appreciate your time.

BTinTrouble #3009526 08/21/19 09:48 AM
M
M
10 years ago the story was in progress - it took me a long time to listen and actually do what Dr. Harley was recommending.

Here's what I'm trying to get you to see: yes, you have a problem being abusive, and you need to understand how Dr. Harley defines the problem and what he recommends you do to correct it. I don't hold out a lot of hope if your only reaction to this is to be defensive. It keeps you from listening. I know because it's exactly what I did for a few years until I decided to get busy and correct the problem that was destroying my marriage.

markos #3009527 08/21/19 01:17 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by markos
I don't hold out a lot of hope if your only reaction to this is to be defensive.

My only reaction is not defensive. This started with your question of 'By Harley's definition are you abusive?' 'Yes, here is what I am working at, feedback please?'

The legal thing was stupid to bring up here in the first place but here we are. The fact is, police, CPS case workers, therapists, family, etc. all use the legal definition. So while that isn't relevant here, it is certainly relevant with them. MrsBT told the CPS case worker during her visit on Monday that MrsBT is not concerned about me being abusive at this time. Do I think that means I don't need to work on DJs and probably some SDs, as well as continue to develop habits around arresting AOs? No. She is just telling the case worker I am not abusive in the legal sense. The word and definition we are using matters.

Thank you for pointing me to Dr. Harley's definition and that article. I have thanked you for your time and feedback, offered what I am doing and asked for more. If you really see my only reaction as defensive, than what do I need to do different? Why giving up hope? Help me understand what I am missing that you see as defensive in my stating that I am not abusive in the legal sense.

BTinTrouble #3009528 08/21/19 02:43 PM
P
P
I have no idea if my wife will post here. I showed her my thread here about 8-9 years ago, but I never saw her thread or user name.
Ask her. smile She may say no, but make the request.

What you said about having her keep me honest by asking her for feedback is what I am hoping for. It has been a problem for us for a long time that she isn't honest with me when she is unhappy.
This is understandable, given your history of abusive lovebusters. Your last Angry Outburst was fairly recent. Your Disrespect and Demands are even more recent. It may be awhile before she feels safe being honest with you.

What ever you do, DO NOT PUNISH HER HONESTY.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009531 08/21/19 02:52 PM
P
P
[quote=markos]The legal thing was stupid to bring up here in the first place but here we are. The fact is, police, CPS case workers, therapists, family, etc. all use the legal definition. So while that isn't relevant here, it is certainly relevant with them. MrsBT told the CPS case worker during her visit on Monday that MrsBT is not concerned about me being abusive at this time. Do I think that means I don't need to work on DJs and probably some SDs, as well as continue to develop habits around arresting AOs? No. She is just telling the case worker I am not abusive in the legal sense. The word and definition we are using matters.

Bringing up the legal definition comes across as defensive. It comes across as "I may be abusive by Harley's standards, but I'm not THAT bad."
Yes, it really is THAT bad.
You may not lose your children to CPS because of an AO you had at your wife. You may not go to jail because you were a Demanding, Disrespectful jerk. The thing is, the legal definition is the bare minimum of what abuse is. You may have not done anything that would get you into legal trouble, but what you did is just as destructive. It will be easier to eliminate these lovebusters when you see them as just as destructive and dangerous.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #3009537 08/21/19 03:53 PM
B
OP Offline
B

Ask her to post here? Or if she did before? Or ask to see her old posts? I am not sure what you mean.

Bringing up the legal definition comes across as defensive. It comes across as "I may be abusive by Harley's standards, but I'm not THAT bad."

One doesn't stay up all night to make sure 3 sentences are free of DJs and SDs if they don't think it's 'that bad.'

I am fully aware it is that bad. I have been on the receiving end of AOs, SDs, DJs, IB, and Dishonesty enough to be acutely aware of how hurtful it is (including recently). Since learning about MB I have been able to identify the behaviors in my parents, aunts and uncles and see how damaging it is. I see my kids when MrsBT is swearing, yelling and slamming dishes around.

I know it is 'that' bad.

That's why I am here. Why I listen to the radio show. Why I am reading things. The biggest lesson I have learned out of this is that lifelong recovery really must be lifelong. It is not enough to get to some 'there' and then coast. I love my wife when she isn't hurting me, I love our family, and I want to be what I know I can be for them and myself.

BTinTrouble #3009538 08/21/19 04:08 PM
P
P
[quote=Prisca]

Ask her to post here? Or if she did before? Or ask to see her old posts? I am not sure what you mean.
Ask her to come here and post.

One doesn't stay up all night to make sure 3 sentences are free of DJs and SDs if they don't think it's 'that bad.'

Yes, they do.

I get it -- you are fully aware that you are abusive.

Now take a moment and listen to the feedback about how you come across. That's part of the retraining of your behavior.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009539 08/21/19 04:17 PM
P
P
Here's some more feedback ...

I am fully aware it is that bad.

Pretend that it is your wife who just told you "It's that bad."
And pretend you came back to her with the post you made above: "I am fully aware it is that bad."

If that had been the case, you would have made lovebank withdrawals. A lot of women are going to feel dismissed (a Disrespectful Judgement) if their husbands say "I'm fully aware ..."

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

BTinTrouble #3009540 08/21/19 07:52 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you prisca.

BTinTrouble #3009586 08/25/19 02:45 PM
B
OP Offline
B
@prisca, I relayed your message, MrsBT said she remembered your name.

Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation