Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 55 1 2 3 4 54 55
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by DrDetroit24
In your situation, the affair has been almost normalized and you and the other betrayed spouse are very foggy. You are playing along with a pretend "separation," your kids still play with his, and the OM's W is all in favor of their affair. Every adult in this situation is fogged out and in dire need of a dose of reality. Exposure will help you all see the affair for what it really is when you see yourselves through the eyes of others. It is like bringing in a crowd of people to the crack house to watch the crack heads get high. It ruins the high!

Follow-up...does the exposure work even when the wayward spouse believes that they're done and/or that there was not or is not a strong foundation to the marriage?

Of course. The affair thrives on secrecy, getting it out into the open is ruinous. Exposure will hasten its death. However, another problem I see is your complacence. Your wife is still having an affair and it seems not to bother you at all. Your complacence comes across as a lack of caring. If you really care about your marriage, it is important that you start taking action. I would expose the affair, using the tips in my exposure thread and then DEMAND that she cut off all contact with this man. I would then confront him and tell him to stay away.

Have you read the Exposure 101 thread yet?

I don't see exposure having an upside here. The OMs wife knows and my wife's closest friends know of their feelings (but likely not the shower bs). My only angle I want to play on exposure is to contact her dad (three marriages),her mom (two marriages), two sisters (both divorced), and one or two of her closest friends to expose not just that her and the OM developed feelings for each other, but also the texting and sexting in order to request their help in influencing my wife to go no contact and reconsider busting up our family.

The interactions with OM is currently only via email and of the email traffic I have seen they are discussing her recent panic attack and goings on of the families. But WTF do I know, right?

This live in separation is incredibly hard and is totally sapping me. If she wants out of this marriage, then she should own it and GTFO. Unfortunately, my fear is that she'd have the opportunity to act single and,as she says she wants, find that other person (any person, just not me) to be happy with and have companionship.

M
M
DrDetroit, It is incredibly frustrating when someone comes here and asks for help and completely ignores the advice. You said you "don't see exposure having an upside here." Do you have experience at this? FRom reading your thread, your best thinking has got you in this mess, so I am confused how you feel you are the best judge of what will or won't work.

. Now, because I am 180'ing her she's complaining that I'm not someone she can ask for help or for support since I'm detaching. Well, tough ****, this is what separation looks like.

The 180 doesnt work and we don't advocate it. It is an ineffective plan that only PROVES to the wayward spouse that the betrayed spouse doesn't care. AS YOU CAN SEE. It makes the OM look better because I assure you he is not giving her the cold shoulder. We are not in favor of tactics that make the OM look better and don't help you at all. Women are not attracted to men they have to chase. They like men that chase them.

If you are not going to follow the suggestions here, I don't see the point of posting here.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Tonight was simply maddening, though. Had my car at the auto shop that needed to be picked up and she offers to give me a ride...cool. On the way over, I get the, well, we have a moment without the kids and I'd like to talk about mediation. She then goes down the road of starting mediation now so that by next summer we can dissolve the marriage and the kids don't have to adjust while they're in school. According to her, we need to keep the kids interests and their stability in mind. I exercised some restraint and didn't tell her that she could have kept that in mind before screwing around with the OM.

I basically just let her talk and didn't reply. She kept on trying to persuade me that mediation was the best approach so that we could avoid the expense of attorneys and avoid a bitter, drawn out divorce fight...unless, she says, that is what I want.

I reiterated, again, that I want neither mediation or a divorce. That I'm not going to divorce her right now and would prefer remaining married. So she took me down the road asking why I would want this marriage (this being our crappy marriage where I had anger problems and would isolate and withdraw). I explained I wanted a different marriage and she banged me with, well, why, why do you want to stay married to me. She further went to say that, well, thats right, you wouldn't want to divorce me because I haven't abused you for years as you did to me (she characterizes my anger problems and withdrawing as forms of abuse). I suggest that we both have unresolved resentment and have both done some ****ty things.

Here's the real kicker...As she was talking about wanting to move on with mediation, she said that she wanted a chance to be happy with someone who wants her as a companion. I took a few moments and let her go on before telling her that I want to be and would be that companion. She smirked and sniffed and told me that that's not what I have been showing her recently because while she's been in crisis mode about her job, finding a new job and having panic attacks, I haven't been a kind friend. When I told her that I know her job has been ****ty and she responded that yeah, I knew, but that I wasn't doing anything about it. I finally had it at that moment. I told her that she's the one who wants to be separated, she's the one who keeps pushing and pushing to divorce and that for my well-being I was detaching to protect myself. Of course, her reply now is well, why wait to divorce, why not end it since we're both detaching. **** her. That was bull****, man.

Somewhere in this conversation she asked if I wanted her to find a mediator or if we should find one together. I told her that this is her thing and if she wants to pursue then move and at some point I'll have to become a participant, until then, I'm not initiating a divorce.

For our entire relationship I was the giving her the pep talks, encouraging her, supporting her and she was grateful for that. Now, because I am 180'ing her she's complaining that I'm not someone she can ask for help or for support since I'm detaching. Well, tough ****, this is what separation looks like.

It's funny, though, her implication being that recently I haven't been showing her that I care or would be a companion because I haven't been offering her a shoulder to cry on or coddling her as she's sitting at the dining room table crying while my boys and I are playing a game in the living room or offering her support when she's having a panic attack after spending all evening crying in front of me and boys. I'm not going to emotionally invest myself just so she can turn it on me the next day with another demand that I start divorce proceedings and telling that she wants to move forward with dissolving the marriage

This is not a blogging forum. It is an action forum. And if you aren't going to take the action steps suggested, I don't see the point of this.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I want to assure you that people here want to help you. But we can't help if you refuse to take action. It is my experience that people who come here and BLOG, instead of taking action, are conflict avoiders and enablers. You can't save a marriage if you are an enabler. You will never save your marriage if you are a conflict avoider.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
DrDetroit, It is incredibly frustrating when someone comes here and asks for help and completely ignores the advice. You said you "don't see exposure having an upside here." Do you have experience at this? FRom reading your thread, your best thinking has got you in this mess, so I am confused how you feel you are the best judge of what will or won't work.

. Now, because I am 180'ing her she's complaining that I'm not someone she can ask for help or for support since I'm detaching. Well, tough ****, this is what separation looks like.

The 180 doesnt work and we don't advocate it. It is an ineffective plan that only PROVES to the wayward spouse that the betrayed spouse doesn't care. AS YOU CAN SEE. It makes the OM look better because I assure you he is not giving her the cold shoulder. We are not in favor of tactics that make the OM look better and don't help you at all. Women are not attracted to men they have to chase. They like men that chase them.

If you are not going to follow the suggestions here, I don't see the point of posting here.

All good points. And you're right, I don't know what I am talking about, I am merely feeling.

And you're also right about the effect of the 180, as recorded in my blog post above, she thinks that I don't care about her. But I also confused why that even matters to her? She's the one pushing to divorce me.

It's counter-intuitive to chase the woman who told another man she loves him and told him she couldn't wait to shower with him. Why would I do that? Or am I thinking about the concept of chasing wrongly?

I want to follow suggestions, but emotions are getting in the way and I have to check that.

What are your thoughts on exposing to her immediate family?

D
OP Offline
D
This is not a blogging forum. It is an action forum. And if you aren't going to take the action steps suggested, I don't see the point of this.

Understood.

I appreciate your attention and suggestions so far. I want to follow the advice, but haven't mustered the courage to do so.

M
M
[

All good points. And you're right, I don't know what I am talking about, I am merely feeling.

And you're also right about the effect of the 180, as recorded in my blog post above, she thinks that I don't care about her. But I also confused why that even matters to her? She's the one pushing to divorce me.

Your wife is very confused and fogged out. She doesn't really know what she wants. Her affair is doomed and if it starts crumbling [from exposure] she will start drawing more and more to you IF YOU ARE AN ATTRACTIVE PLACE TO LAND. As it is now, you are not. You are giving her the cold shoulder, which in effect makes the OM [or anyone else] more appealing.

It's counter-intuitive to chase the woman who told another man she loves him and told him she couldn't wait to shower with him. Why would I do that? Or am I thinking about the concept of chasing wrongly?

You need to look at her like you would a falling down drunk. Sure, the falling down drunk does stupid things, but if you act strategically, the drunk will sober up and come to her senses. Your instincts are misleading you because you have no experience at this. It would be like me "following my instincts" about doing a root canal when I don't know a damn thing about dentistry. Following the instincts of a person with no practical experience makes no sense at all.

I want to follow suggestions, but emotions are getting in the way and I have to check that.

I understand. People who can't follow a plan don't make it. I think you have the ability to follow a plan, though, because I think you are perfectly capable of putting aside your emotions. I may be wrong but I don't think I am.

What are your thoughts on exposing to her immediate family?

If it is ONLY her immediate family, that is a waste of time. That is like giving someone with pneumonia a "tiny dose" of medicine. You need to do it right or not at all. A little trickle exposure is just enough to piss off the affairees but not enough to damage the affair. Do it right. Expose to her family, your family, close friends, the OM's family and facebook friends. Do it right.

Exposure 101

M
M

Understood.

I appreciate your attention and suggestions so far. I want to follow the advice, but haven't mustered the courage to do so.

We get it completely. We have all been there and it is terrifying. Courage is a choice. You can make that choice today. But you have to act. We were all afraid but the difference between those who made it and those who didn't was the DECISION TO ACT.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
I finally decided to pursue mediation with my wife to "dissolve" the marriage. Two nights ago I found out that she was taking the day off of work to meet the OM for a picnic lunch. When I confronted her she lied and said she was seeking his help to look at her resume. I'm a 20-year HR guy and she has friends in her field that she could have sought out, but didn't. I let the OMs wife know and her response the next morning was that she'd talk to him that evening, after they would have met. Ultimately, they didn't meet and my wife sent me several nasty texts essentially saying that I am the bane of her existence.

Saw a divorce attorney yesterday just to make sure I am covering bases and have an attorney available should I need one.

H
H
You have to make up your mind what you want for you and for your children first. Then you hack out a plan and follow it. Don‘t waver back and forth. What she says and what she wants is irrelevant

me, DH
all the children
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by happyheart
You have to make up your mind what you want for you and for your children first. Then you hack out a plan and follow it. Don‘t waver back and forth. What she says and what she wants is irrelevant

I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice, all of it, though, sounds reasonable. My wife has me convinced that she is done, no more tries, no more chances. My hopium says that she's in a fog, but I don't know. Advice to expose, advice not to expose.

This is hard. Currently, I am just not interacting with her. Can't bring myself to do it. I am behaving "as if" I'm already divorced. I don't tell her where I am going, how long I'll be, or what I am doing and I don't ask her what she is doing.

I can't bring myself to do the things that would amount to me chasing her, pursuing her by giving myself to her emotionally while she continues to communicate with the OM and continues to tell me that she is done. Is my pride in the way?

M
M
[ Is my pride in the way?

Your feelings are in your way. It has been my experience that the ability to put aside one's feelings is critical to success. Your posts are so irrational that I doubt your ability to follow a plan. Instead you are following your FEELINGS. And that is fine. It is your life.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D

Your feelings are in your way. It has been my experience that the ability to put aside one's feelings is critical to success. Your posts are so irrational that I doubt your ability to follow a plan. Instead you are following your FEELINGS. And that is fine. It is your life.

Irrational? Perhaps. I'd appreciate some insight on what a plan might look like. I know you've indicated go full exposure and to chase my wife who continues to remain in contact with the OM. Is that it?

Last edited by DrDetroit24; 09/29/19 05:06 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by happyheart

I don't even know where to begin putting a plan together.

It makes me feel sick and delegitimized to chase my wife and pursue her. What's worse, is the dilemma having looked at Divorce Busters and having read their rationale for detaching and 180s.

I'm so conflicted which makes me feel frozen.

G
G
MarriageBuilders is designed to give the best possible chance on your desired outcome with the least amount of damage to your marriage and yourself.

Divorcebusters damages your marriage and makes it more difficult to recover if that is the path you choose.

This is not a marriage at all costs program. This is a step by step plan to recover your marriage, or for personal recovery. So if you choose the goal, you will get help here to implement the plan.

M
M
[
It makes me feel sick and delegitimized to chase my wife and pursue her. What's worse, is the dilemma having looked at Divorce Busters and having read their rationale for detaching and 180s.

If that is how you feel, then you should end your marriage. The tactics you are using won't save your marriage, they will make it worse. There is no crime in just filing for divorce and moving on. Just know that if you want to save your marriage, these tactics won't work, they only make the OM look better and drag out your suffering. You are perfectly within your rights to end your marriage.

Exposure 101

L
L

Irrational? Perhaps. I'd appreciate some insight on what a plan might look like. I know you've indicated go full exposure and to chase my wife who continues to remain in contact with the OM. Is that it?

The plan looks like this:

1.) A proper exposure as outlined in MelodyLane's linked thread entitled Exposure 101. This isn't done in anger or in retribution, but rather to gain a bit of needed support for yourself in an incredibly stressful time. It also shines the light of day on the affair and makes it more difficult for the couple to carry out their affair in the needed secrecy.

2.) You decide whether you want to try and save your marriage. If you want to proceed to divorce, go ahead and do it. MarriageBuilders isn't about marriage at all costs.

3.) If you want to try and save your marriage, then read up on Plan A. It's not about chasing your wife; it's more about being a really great husband and partner. No anger or threats. Be kind. Don't cooperate with your wife's plans to separate in house. Eliminate all love busters.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
D
OP Offline
D
[

If that is how you feel, then you should end your marriage. The tactics you are using won't save your marriage, they will make it worse. There is no crime in just filing for divorce and moving on. Just know that if you want to save your marriage, these tactics won't work, they only make the OM look better and drag out your suffering. You are perfectly within your rights to end your marriage.

Of course, I don't want to end the marriage. And you're right, I'm worse off by 180ing her, not taking to her, and generally, feeling like crap.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome

The plan looks like this:

1.) A proper exposure as outlined in MelodyLane's linked thread entitled Exposure 101. This isn't done in anger or in retribution, but rather to gain a bit of needed support for yourself in an incredibly stressful time. It also shines the light of day on the affair and makes it more difficult for the couple to carry out their affair in the needed secrecy.

2.) You decide whether you want to try and save your marriage. If you want to proceed to divorce, go ahead and do it. MarriageBuilders isn't about marriage at all costs.

3.) If you want to try and save your marriage, then read up on Plan A. It's not about chasing your wife; it's more about being a really great husband and partner. No anger or threats. Be kind. Don't cooperate with your wife's plans to separate in house. Eliminate all love busters.

You had me until not cooperating with wife's plans to separate in house. We are already separated, ie she's sleeping on couch and moved out of our bedroom.

I've just read the whole exposure 101 thread, though couldn't listen to the radio clips cuz I didn't sign up to pay.

Would you, or anyone else, be willing to read my exposure letter once I draft it?

D
OP Offline
D
I'm going the full exposure route. I'm not going to tolerate this continuing affair, even if it is only via email (though they were making plans to be together). I'm not doing this to punish, but to get some support from her family and friends. I've talked to one of her former friends who now says that knowing the whole story that she would have stepped up sooner.

Even if we don't end up reconciled, I will know that I took steps to save the marriage.

Also, I'm no longer doing the 180 part of ignoring her and not starting conversations. I will not emotionally invest myself or be her crying shoulder, but I'm going to interact with her. Not doing so is making me feel worse. I will continue to get a life, be the best dad I can, and continue working on myself as an individual.

Lastly, I will talk to my sons and theirs to explain that my sons are not allowed to be over at the OMs house and their children are not allowed at my house. They may still play together, but outside, at the park, at another friends house, etc. I will explain that this is because their mother and their father will not stop their affair and that when the kids are together in each other's homes their mother and father don't only have an excuse to communicate, but it maintains their relationship.

Page 2 of 55 1 2 3 4 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Blackhawk, 1 invisible), 441 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation