Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55
M
M
"If you want to rip apart our kid's family, you won't get my cooperation. I cannot stop you, but I won't help you do that. I care too much for my kids."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by DrDetroit24
Does this mean that you think the best thing for our family is a divorce where we have seperate lawyers and we arent working to cooperate and find solutions that best support our boys?

This is very manipulative of her to say. She wants to tear apart your marriage and your children's family and is acting like you are the CAUSE because you won't cooperate with her intended destruction. Do you see how manipulative that is?

She very much does not want to be blamed for her destructive behavior. Don't oblige her there. What she is doing will be DEVASTATING TO YOUR CHILDREN. Don't mince words about that. And your kids should know she wants to tear apart their family over nothing.

I wouldn't say over nothing. Our marriage has been tough for her.

D
OP Offline
D
"If you want to rip apart our kid's family, you won't get my cooperation. I cannot stop you, but I won't help you do that. I care too much for my kids."

This one is right up my alley. Seems harsh, but it shines the light right back on her choice.

M
M
Does this mean that you think the best thing for our family is a divorce where we have seperate lawyers and we arent working to cooperate and find solutions that best support our boys?

This is very manipulative of her to say. She wants to tear apart your marriage and your children's family and is acting like you are the CAUSE because you won't cooperate with her intended destruction. Do you see how manipulative that is?

She very much does not want to be blamed for her destructive behavior. Don't oblige her there. What she is doing will be DEVASTATING TO YOUR CHILDREN. Don't mince words about that. And your kids should know she wants to tear apart their family over nothing.

I wouldn't say over nothing. Our marriage has been tough for her.

The affair is "nothing." She is ending the marriage over the affair.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

This one is right up my alley. Seems harsh, but it shines the light right back on her choice.

She needs that splash of reality. In her selfish fog she hasn't really thought about the kids. Affairees are notoriously self centered and have tunnel vision. Your kids WON'T be ok. They will never be the same.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Talked to another gf who acknowledged that my wife was not honest with her about the relationship with the OM. She also said she's supportive of ending the affair and said what I was doing was "bold". But she also said she's my wife's friend and would support what my wife wanted to do, although she didn't think divorce was the solution.

D
OP Offline
D

She needs that splash of reality. In her selfish fog she hasn't really thought about the kids. Affairees are notoriously self centered and have tunnel vision. Your kids WON'T be ok. They will never be the same.

I'm gonna send your suggested text about ripping the family apart.

D
OP Offline
D
Here's my text reply:

A divorce is not the best thing for our family and is not a solution. And it isnt supportive of our boys.

If you want to rip apart our children's family, you won't get my cooperation. I cannot stop you, but I won't help you do that. I care too much for our children.

D
OP Offline
D
Surprisingly, no reaction from my wife, yet, on the calls and texts I have sent. Maybe she's still unaware?

M
M
Talked to another gf who acknowledged that my wife was not honest with her about the relationship with the OM. She also said she's supportive of ending the affair and said what I was doing was "bold". But she also said she's my wife's friend and would support what my wife wanted to do, although she didn't think divorce was the solution.

Yeah! She sounds like a good friend.

Exposure 101

M
M
Does the OM's wife know you want to expose to the OM's family?

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Does the OM's wife know you want to expose to the OM's family?

Yes, I tipped that out. Thought I was being thoughtful and considerate. I don't think she is trying to protect him as much as protect their shot at a good marriage counseling session that they have this afternoon.

I will continue trying to find his contact info and will talk to the OMW tomorrow and request it.

So far, she has been persuaded by the approach I am taking with my wife and that encouraged her to request of him the NC with my wife.

We'll see how she responds in the morning.

M
M
Good deal. But I would not give up your search because she might not help you. The marriage counseling would not be a reason to delay it so I am concerned about her willingness to help.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
My wife's reply to my text:

"Then we can live as roommates untilbthey are old enough to be out of the house. It is unfortunate that you treated our marriage and family they way you did over the last 16 years. i will not reengage in a relationship with you after all the fear anger hurtvand pain you have put me and the boys through. Our marriage is over but I am open to coparenting under one roof as long as you arecsafe safe person to be around."

frown

This roommates thing she has...frustrating. Then we can live as roommates... Uh, no. We can live like husband and wife or we don't live together. I won't dent myself happiness to have a marriage at all costs here.

Man, when I get replies like this it just saps all the energy and thought that I could put into trying to meet her emotional needs. How do I try to meet emotional needs with a wall like this? Ugh...

Last edited by DrDetroit24; 10/10/19 05:26 PM.
M
M

You know what? There is nothing stopping your wife from getting a divorce. She doesn't need your cooperation to do so.

Man, when I get replies like this it just saps all the energy and thought that I could put into trying to meet her emotional needs. How do I try to meet emotional needs with a wall like this? Ugh...

Ok, I don't want you to be discouraged. You are actually in a better position today than 2 weeks ago, the OM is gone [we hope!] and you have taken away your divorce . I know it is hard for you to see now but you are moving in a positive direction. She is still fogged out, but that won't be the case for long as she withdraws from the affair. AS she withdraws, you have to absolutely be on your BEST BEHAVIOR and draw her back to you. You cannot afford any lovebusters. No angry outbursts. The little opening will be through small talk, so just take it slow and really focus on being as pleasant as possible.

That doesn't mean you allow her to roll over you. It doesn't mean that you back down on your stance on divorce. Stay firm but always be polite, firm and LOVING.

I want you to respond to her text and call her bluff:

"I understand I can't stop you from getting a divorce but I want you to know I am so sorry I made you feel that way. Just know that I love you and our kids and am very committed to being the very best husband and father."

Exposure 101

M
M
This roommates thing she has...frustrating. Then we can live as roommates... Uh, no. We can live like husband and wife or we don't live together. I won't dent myself happiness to have a marriage at all costs here.

Just know that no one expects you live as roommates. If things don't change in a few months, you have other options. But I think you have a great chance of turning this around if you can avoid lovebusters and look for every opportunity to meet her needs. Focus on conversation!

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Follow up text from my wife:

"I need some space from you this evening. I will be meeting Leti and Kathy later. i will prep dinner for 6."

I texted these two women last night.

Here's the funny thing... I know that they have been asking her to go out for happy hour tonight since last week.

Maybe she does need space from me this evening. But, I think that's a convenient excuse to do something that she was planning to do all along.

Last edited by DrDetroit24; 10/10/19 05:57 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
You know what? There is nothing stopping your wife from getting a divorce. She doesn't need your cooperation to do so.

Ok, I don't want you to be discouraged. You are actually in a better position today than 2 weeks ago, the OM is gone [we hope!] and you have taken away your divorce . I know it is hard for you to see now but you are moving in a positive direction. She is still fogged out, but that won't be the case for long as she withdraws from the affair. AS she withdraws, you have to absolutely be on your BEST BEHAVIOR and draw her back to you. You cannot afford any lovebusters. No angry outbursts. The little opening will be through small talk, so just take it slow and really focus on being as pleasant as possible.

That doesn't mean you allow her to roll over you. It doesn't mean that you back down on your stance on divorce. Stay firm but always be polite, firm and LOVING.

I want you to respond to her text and call her bluff:

"I understand I can't stop you from getting a divorce but I want you to know I am so sorry I made you feel that way. Just know that I love you and our kids and am very committed to being the very best husband and father."

What bluff am I calling? Forgive me if this should be obvious to me...

M
M
[

What bluff am I calling? Forgive me if this should be obvious to me...

The DIVORCE. She is acting like you are stopping her from getting a divorce. You aren't! So you need to send her the clear message that you are not stopping her.

Exposure 101

G
G
When OM is not an option, divorce means she is on her own. That is not what she had in mind when she pictured 'her' divorce.

Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (sergio45), 491 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation