Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 42 of 55 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 54 55
D
OP Offline
D
Ouch, indeed...

S
S
Originally Posted by DrDetroit24
Ouch, indeed...
What do you mean, Dr D? Could you expand on this?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
OP Offline
D
Saw a text from my wife to a couple of her friends about her run this morning:

"it always feels good to get it done but it sure is harder getting it started without my running partner aka man of my dreams who i no longer have any contact with"

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by happyheart
How on earth are you going to repair your marriage by acting like an unsensitive [...].
She is telling you something you do bothers her and you tell her to get another place to stay already. I thought you were in plan A.
Some way to woo a woman Sherlock.

Is that "something" in your response me standing by her watching her do something? If so, how could I have responded differently? I could have just walked away. I could have said I'm sorry, I didn't intend to make you feel uncomfortable and explained why I was watching.

Could you please go back and read your own post and then come back with a few corrections for your way of reacting. You are an adult and not a kindergardener.

Something I was doing was bothering her. Whether or not I agree whether she should fell that way, she did feel that way. I should have just let it lie and, if needed, could have asked her about it later. Instead, I felt hurt and from her comment believed that, again, I was an intolerable person to be around so I was giving her the chance to get away from me by telling her that she didn't need to help me and that I'd finish it. Typical response from me when I feel hurt by something that she does or says.

Later, when she made her comment about us just being 2 people in the same house with no connection and never going to have a connection, I got mad. It's such an insensitive thing to say; however, I have been an insensitive and insufferable boor for nearly all of our marriage. I should take some of that hurt right now. At that moment I should have said that I am sorry she feels no connection to me. And then I draw a blank. Where do I go from there or what could I say alternatively.

[quote[You have to be the sane person in the house that saves your family. You are the one who can make or break it Sir.
Your children are counting on you to keep their family together and that should be more important to you than telling your wife to leave if she feels uncomfortable with you looking at her obviously judging her, because she has no reason to believe otherwise Mr Alwaysright.[/quote]

I see your point.

How is she supposed to believe that this can become a wonderful marriage again, when you indicate through your actions that
1. Her opinion and feelings are irrelevant to you.
2. You will always use her affair as leverage in the future whenever you have a discussion, to gain your ground.

Ok.

Get a grip. Is this how you would treat a woman you are trying to get to date you? Some Casanova you are.
We have seen you show valuable insight here and you are obviously intelligent, but why are you not thinking with your frontal cortex before you interact with the world?

Critical problem on my part reacting based on feelings.

The future of your family depends on you. Excuses and pity parties are not going to help you here. If you want to have your children visit you for Christmas only every other year, then go tell your wife to get lost. If not, start behaving like the courteous gentleman you could be. Impulsiveness is no excuse. If a man with a machine gun was aggravating you, you would be able to be courteous, wouldn‘t you?

It is not hard. So go do it.

Doing it, well, trying hard to.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
What are you doing for anger management? Have you read Anger Management 101?

Seeing an individual counselor and trying to use a variety of techniques to slow myself down, recognize when I am feeling emotionally stressed, taking breask when needed...

Read that a while back and will revisit tonight.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Ouch, indeed...
What do you mean, Dr D? Could you expand on this?

I meant that my behavior yesterday with my wife was a setback and a significant one, too. As happy pointed out, this incident, like so many others the last few months, keeps reinforcing that I haven't really changed at all...which means that I keep proving to her that she is right to believe that she cannot trust me to change.

G
G

"it always feels good to get it done but it sure is harder getting it started without my running partner aka man of my dreams who i no longer have any contact with"
My guess, she writes as if you can read her texts. She's trying to hurt you and prove she is in no contact at the same time. Two for the price of one.

Snoop. Don't believe everything you read.

H
H

Change is not easy.
It takes some time for the brain zo rewire.
It would help if you would become better at handling you emotions.
When we are full of adrenalin, our brain uses the older („reptile“) parts tharät are dedicated to fight or flight. They are quick to get us into trouble, because most situations nowadays are more complicated than sheer staying alive.

When your adrenalin subsides, you reflect with your humanly intelligent frontal cortex. That is the newer part that thinks before acting. It would be best if your frontal cortex was always part of any decisions or utterances.

That‘s what we learn in Anger management 101, that was linked to you. You could buy a heart beat sensor and start practising. Works wonders at work as well!

me, DH
all the children
D
OP Offline
D
So my wife has applied for and been invited to a second round admissions process for a master's degree. The second round activity is to watch a movie and come prepared to discuss in a group setting and to also bring a personal object and to discuss why it's important to you. I just asked her about the personal object and if she had picked something out. She said yes, and I asked what it was...she replied that it was personal and didn't tell me what it was. I looked at her blankly for a moment, said oh, ok, and walked away. The very first thought to pop into my head was, "Wife, you just have to move out and stop doing this to me."

Combined with yesterday's request to stop testing her about anything other than the kids, how do I try to meet ENs?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by goody2shoes

My guess, she writes as if you can read her texts. She's trying to hurt you and prove she is in no contact at the same time. Two for the price of one.

Im starting to doubt that I am dealing with a wife who is in the affair fog...

M
M

Im starting to doubt that I am dealing with a wife who is in the affair fog...

She is DEEP in the affair fog. She just saw the OM, speaks about him every day, probably has momentos, drives by his office or home often. She is steeped in the affair fog.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Once again, she is writing this for you. Have you searched for a secret second phone?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Do you know for sure that the OM is out of the country? Do you have a way to verify that? Are you watching her on the GPS?

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Do you know for sure that the OM is out of the country? Do you have a way to verify that? Are you watching her on the GPS?

Don't know for sure if OM is out of the country.

I can ask one of his boys who are in the neighborhood.

Yes, watching her on GPS and am not seeing her drive to or by his office or going anywhere else except work, store, her girlfriend's house.

D
OP Offline
D

Once again, she is writing this for you. Have you searched for a secret second phone?

Haven't found a second phone and Ive checked the house thoroughly as well as her car and bags.

G
G

The way they emphasized that he would be out of the country the rest of November, to me it seemed they wanted to be sure they had some quiet days together without a husband catching them. Maybe he's meeting her in her friend's house. Can someone check for OM's car when she's there?

M
M

Yes, watching her on GPS and am not seeing her drive to or by his office or going anywhere else except work, store, her girlfriend's house.

His boys are in your neighborhood? How far away does he live and work?

Exposure 101

M
M

The way they emphasized that he would be out of the country the rest of November, to me it seemed they wanted to be sure they had some quiet days together without a husband catching them. Maybe he's meeting her in her friend's house. Can someone check for OM's car when she's there?

Good thinking!

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D

His boys are in your neighborhood? How far away does he live and work?

Their family lives 2 blocks away. He works about 10 miles away.

D
OP Offline
D
Had a great day yesterday with the family. Went on a long waterfall hike as a family and met my second cousin and her boyfriend. Long day and different than many of our other family days. In the past, there were many times when getting ready to leave for a day would involve a lot of stress. For example, one of the boys would start fussing or they'd be fighting and I'd lose my patience and get angry. Or, something just wouldn't go right and I'd get impatience, anxious, or even angry. Yesterday, though, my wife and I planned the day together, packed the pack backs and worked well together, and got out on time. The day was a lot of fun.

I worked really hard to be easy going, patient, thoughtful, and sought my wife's input on several things.

Page 42 of 55 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 440 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation