Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3017266 04/17/24 03:06 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello,

I am in need of desperate help. I'll begin saying I got married to my wife about 16 years ago, we have young children. After marrying I discovered she had a past with trauma that caused her to suffer with a disorder. From our dating relationship, throughout our marriage we had no intimacy I was deprived of sex and found out she had been having sex with a lot of men, the number is unknown between 50 and 100 over the time. It was out of her trauma, I didn't understand it at the time but I do now. Her trauma had caused her to act out in abnormal ways. Our relationship became extremely toxic and abusive. We fought and fought over it, I was very traumatised by the whole experience. It was an intense attack on me and the family and it got to a stage where I thought someone could get hurt. The children experiencing the fighting caused a lot of fear in them, needless to say I decided something had to be done and I decided we needed to end it. I gave up on years of trying to make something work.

I was too afraid to tell her that it's over, in fear that it would cause us to fight and in the separation it would get worse, it would become a war and the children would suffer more. So instead, I took time away so that we could both recover and the fighting stop and maybe we could start healing and get a long. However I didn't tell her that in my mind it was over.

So I started spending time away from the house, I took days and weeks at a time. In this time I started to learn myself and understand her more. Because I was out of the traumatic situation I was able to see a lot clearer.

I happened to meet someone, and I couldn't believe this person actually liked me since the whole ordeal left me thinking I was absolutely useless that my own spouse couldn't and wouldn't want her needs met by me. Over a few months, a relationship formed with this person, I started to heal parts of myself I developed a huge amount of compassion for her and her for me. We fell in love and developed a deep love. I opened up to my spouse about the new person. I started to realize that being honest is the only way, in my brokenness I was too afraid to tell her I'm leaving. However, in my healing I have found God, Jesus and in the time the same happened to her. She found God she found Jesus and we both became born again. The kids are in a safer place, they are healing and close to her for the first time. I am 100% convinced she is fully healed and trustworthy. She has completely transformed and changed as a person. I care for her deeply, I am so grateful she has healed. She has become a whole woman and I have come a long way. I understand God wants healing and he has been doing that in both of us. My wrongness came from the fact that I hid and did not tell her I was leaving, I hid the other relationship for a few months. I deceived her and when met another person I wasn't fully honest about how the relationship grew. It happened that I opened up about it and she was completely understanding. She cares for me as well and we both want the right thing. We don't fight anymore, we can easily be friends and the kids around whole people that love them.

I am stuck in a terrible situation now, that I have no idea what to do. I feel like there is hope, a chance that now we are healed and both have God. We could make it work? We could restore the family. I have fears it would be going backward, I have fears about attraction because I only had some attraction to her in the first 2 months of dating at most but with all the years of trauma it's been ruined. We have never really been in love. I trust that God can restore all those things and they are just fears. But I am in a terrible situation where the person I have met is dear to me. I care for her deeply, I love her, we have had a sexual relationship, she loves me incredibly. She is loyal, trustworthy and gives her all. We have attraction and I feel alive and whole, loved and accepted. It would be a new marriage if I was to peruse that. But I am afraid if I continue that path, I am concerned if the children will be affected. I am anxious that if it's wrong in the eyes of the lord. I have intense pain when I think of leaving and breaking her heart I don't know how to cope with it. She has been true to me.

If I tried with my spouse again, I know that it would take several months for me to recover from heartache and over the fact of hurting someone elses feelings in the most deepest of ways. The level of compassion to this new person and love is immense and I don't know if it's wrong for me to brutally cut ties. It's gone on for about 1 and half years now. We've focused on God, brought each other closer to God and I feel somewhat wrong to rip that all up and say bye. I don't know what to do. On the one hand I can see it is great for the kids, where they have two parents that are whole and a father in a relationship they can actually get to see him like that. But I am not sure about the split causing pain to the children and effect their lives in ways that bother me. I want them to be ok. I want everyone to be ok. I need serious help I am torn into pieces over this.

Please ask me anything, I have a lot of anxiety. I am all open for God, what he wants I need wisdom. I have a lot of fear.

One of the things that happened is when I met this person she showed me I was someone that can be accepted and loved. That I really could be attractive, I was so convinced I must have been a useless incapable man so disgusting that my own spouse became desperate to have her needs met, that I just wasn't capable of meeting any womans needs. I don't know how I could have realized I was wrong about myself if I hadn't experienced someone actually liking me that way. Maybe God would have shown me, I don't know because I was so lost I think I would have gone from bad to worse unless something happened that showed me I can be a man someone wanted.

Now that I realized that, my eyes opened more about the issue my spouse actually had and I developed a lot of compassion for her.

I have so much compassion for everyone that I want everyone to be ok. I know I should think about myself as well, but what I personally want is everyone to be ok. The level of pain I feel for leaving the person I'm with now is very intense, I feel like it would crush her and be very damaging. I don't care so much for my own heart break I know it will be intense, I care about other people.

Last edited by NeedHelpPlease12; 04/17/24 03:21 AM.

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter
S
OP Offline
S
I want to add that my care for my spouse and her care for me is just as big, we both hope our family could be restored. I care a lot for her and the children so much, I am not too fussed over attraction because I believe dr Harleys methods will work. I am just torn about what to do if I should leave this person and try restore my family or not.

I am in such turmoil and anxiety. I am under a lot of pressure, I took time away to be on my own so I could get to the bottom of this, find an answer to peruse and have some peace going forward. I need peace either way I go, I need peace for my family if I remain with this person. I need peace over missing my spouse she is a lovely person now that she is healed. I need peace if we try again, I won't have regrets over leaving someone special.

I have no idea what to do.

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter
S
S
Originally Posted by NeedHelpPlease12
I happened to meet someone...
Long story short: You have been in an affair for 1.5 years and you are asking us whether you should stay with your wife or leave with the other woman.

You should be aware that this site is Marriage Builders. As you will know if you have read Dr Harley's materials as you say you have, all of his infidelity advice is aimed at ending the affair and rebuilding the marriage.

Also, if you have read through the threads on this forum, you will have noticed that it is full of betrayed spouses who suffered greatly through an affair. Where any unfaithful spouses stay around after their initial posts, they have renounced their affairs and worked to restore their marriage. In short, nobody on Dr Harley's forum is likely to advise you to leave your wife and continue your affair. In fact, it is very insensitive for you to come here hoping for any support for the cruelty you are inflicting, and would continue to inflict, on your wife. We have been through affairs with spouses who, when discovered, made every kind of justification, and no justification makes any difference to the hurt and the wrong of an affair. If you are deeply unhappy in your marriage, you should communicate this to your spouse. If the marriage is still unbearable, then leave it first (which means divorcing) before committing adultery.

Please ask me anything, I have a lot of anxiety. I am all open for God, what he wants I need wisdom. I have a lot of fear.

God had nothing to do with your adultery, as you well know if you have found Him as you say.

One of the things that happened is when I met this person she showed me I was someone that can be accepted and loved. That I really could be attractive, I was so convinced I must have been a useless incapable man so disgusting that my own spouse became desperate to have her needs met, that I just wasn't capable of meeting any womans needs. I don't know how I could have realized I was wrong about myself if I hadn't experienced someone actually liking me that way. Maybe God would have shown me, I don't know because I was so lost I think I would have gone from bad to worse unless something happened that showed me I can be a man someone wanted.
If, as you seem to be planning - since you have posted in the Divorcing section of the forum - you want to leave your wife and go with this other woman, you do not need anyone's approval to do it, and you are unlikely to get such approval here.

If you want advice on building your marriage into a romantic, satisfying, and enduring relationship, you must start with ending all contact with the other woman. She is not a good person as she is in a relationship with a married man who is hurting his wife and children, so you need to stop feeling sorry for her.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for the advice,

I'm not seeking approval, I need help dealing with the right choices. I agree it was wrong of me as I concealed the relationship, my spouse having affairs didn't make it right for me to lie to her and take part in the same type of behavior. She never knew I was involved with someone. I decided it was over thinking I had no other option after years trying, it was unbearable and believed I had no choice other than leaving.

We live in separate states, when I left, I moved to a different state where I met someone. I did not tell her about the relationship, until very recently. The new person and I have been living together for the last 1.5 years.

I left now and telling her it's for work, I need to be alone for a few days. My eldest son is distant from me because I left, I feel guilt and don't want him making the same mistakes as me.

Last edited by NeedHelpPlease12; 04/17/24 10:55 PM.

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter
B
B
Have you thought about emailing Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S
No I don't know how to, how can I email him?

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter
S
OP Offline
S
I have emailed him, I hope he finds my email! Thank you.

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

I have emailed Bill Harley... I am not sure which Dr harley to email?

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter
B
B
Originally Posted by SadNewYorker

Good.

Did you email him at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com?

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the broadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will receive a call to explain the procedure.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SadNewYorker

Good.

Did you email him at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com?

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the broadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will receive a call to explain the procedure.

Thank you so much

Married 2011
2 sons
1 daughter

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation