Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#706305 10/18/01 06:43 PM
G
Goodguy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi this question is for all of you as Christians who might know more about this than I do. Isn't it a sin to get a divorce? I know most people including myself are the BS, so we didn't have a choice in what happened. Does anyone know what the bible says about this? Quick question but hard to find an answer.

A
A
Goodguy,<P>Here's some verses in the New Testament on the subject of marriage.<P>Matthew 19;2-10<BR> <A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Matthew+19&version=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english" TARGET=_blank>http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Matthew+19&version=NASB&show fn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english</A> <P>Matthew 5;30-33<BR> <A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Matthew+5%3A30-33&version=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english" TARGET=_blank>http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Matthew+5%3A30-33&ver sion=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english</A> <P>Mark 10;1-13<BR> <A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Mark+10%3A1-13&version=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english" TARGET=_blank>http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Mark+10%3A1-13&version=N ASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english</A> <P>Luke 16;18-19 <A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Luke+16%3A18-19&version=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english" TARGET=_blank>http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Luke+16%3A18-19&version =NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english</A> <P>1 Corinthians 7 10-17 <A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=1+Corinthians+7%3A10-17&version=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english" TARGET=_blank>http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=1+Corinthians+7 %3A10-17&version=NASB&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english</A> <P>There ya go Goodguy. Basically my interpretation of the New Testament Christian Law has always been is that a man or woman can divorce his spouse in cases of adultery. <P>Take care,<P>ANNA<P>P.S. you can get other versions of these passages on the main web page of the links.<p>[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Anna2000 ]

M
M
That is a really good question. Most Christians think they already know the answer. However.....<P>.....I'm not sure it IS a sin. Case in point: God divorced Israel. Can God sin? I don't think so.<P><I><B>Isaiah 50:1 - "Thus says the LORD, "Where is the certificate of divorce by which I have sent your mother away? Or to whom of My creditors did I sell you? Behold, you were sold for your iniquities, And for your transgressions your mother was sent away."</I></B><P>I know God hates divorce. God commands us to remain together as a married husband and wife. I also know that it is a sin to commit adultery. <P>The reason many Christians view divorce a sin is because the implied consequence of a divorce is remarriage, which may or may not be adultery.<P>My intrepretation of the scriptures is that divorce followed by remarriage is a sin, <B><I>except for the case of marital unfaithulness or if an unbelieveing spouse leaves.</B></I> Those are the two cases that I see in ALL the scriptures I've read in the Bible, where there is an exception.<P>If you are a BS and your spouse divorces you, you are in that category...not only for the adultery, but for the "unbelieving spouse" part. My H is/was/? a Christian. But I can tell you 1000% for sure, right now, he's a "non-believer" (and I'm not talking about being saved or going to heaven). I'm talking about BELIEVING. He thinks God is okaying is continuing affair. He didn't think God could fix our marriage. That's unbelief.<P>Anyway, this is just my opinion...My best advice is to ready EVERYTHING in scripture that relates to divorce, and do a study. <P>Aloha,<BR>Ms.O<p>[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Ms.O ]

E
E
It's a tough one, this question. I've asked myself it too, and the answers I found are not ones that my human nature really wants to hear...<P>I believe that God hates divorce, and therefore I would NOT divorce my husband. For my own well being though, and his, I can live apart from him with the hope of reconcilliation being possible one day.<P>However, if he divorces me there's nothing I can do about it. When we married God made us one, which cannot be undone by divorce - the only thing that breaks the marriage bond is the death of one spouse. God says that if we are divorced, it is still adultery to sleep with someone beside your spouse. You also, if you are never married, cannot sleep with a divorced person because that too is adultery. <P>If your divorced spouse remarries, you are still not free yourself to marry again. In fact, your divorced spouse is committing adultery by remarrying. If your remarried spouse then divorces and wants to remarry YOU, it is not allowed by God. <P>For me, if my husband divorces me I will not remarry until he dies. <P>I hope this makes sense, I'm tired and not explaining well I suspect.<P>SAU

W
W
Hi,<P>Someone had a post a little while back titled "What the Bible Really says about Divorce". It was really interesting. Maybe you could do a search for it in the archives and find it.<P>Just go up to Search above, and put that title in and it'll pull it up.<P>Take care.

J
J
My stbx says he is a christian, so am i..But he is the one who wants the divorce and wants nothing to do with his son.I didn't cheat on him and there was no valid reason for him to run like he has. I believe that those who call themselves christians are willing to do anything to try and keep that vow you made before god ...I was but have given up..I think my stbx doesn't know what a real christian is..These types are called 2 faced christians..The worst type of all..

J
J
I aggree with mrs.O i think she is right on, how ever being catholic, I know that the church provides for an anulment where you are realeased from your vows in the case of aduldtry,

J
J
There is no way I will believe that divorce is a sin. I know too many good kind people who have been divorced--two of those in my immediate family. I am not sure what the Bible says about divorce. However, I know that there are places where it seems to condone such horrors as incest--speaking of the story of Lot. Maybe I am too sensitive about this--but I just don't think people should be considered sinners for divorcing. Please don't flame me--this is just a very sensitive issue. Thank you.

I
I
My grandfather who is a minister told me when I ask him the same question. That everything happens for a reason and that God lets us make our own decisions. He knows the paths that we take and the outcome of our life. We choose to do the things we do and hopefully learn from the mistakes. The bible says it is a sin. But the bible also says Mark 11:25-26 (in layman's terms) We have to forgive those who have trespassed against us in order to be forgiven of our sins. So, when we ask to be forgiven, God knows when we mean it. He forgives us for that sin.

S
S
No one can say with certainty that divorce is a sin, and in fact we know the Bible even makes clear some divorce is not a sin. The various scriptures are fairly well known to all, so will not point out one can interpret stuff in different ways. I also think that when God said no man can pit asunder (divorce) He did not say He would not. And since God is not going to send someone a divorce decree in the mail, it is safe to say (IMO) that many marriages are put into crisis leading to divorce by God Himself in his mysterious way. And then there is always those pesky abusive marriages, you know, the one where serious physical emotional abuse is occuring, and we ENCOURAGE the woman (usually) to divorce, so are we parties to her sin if she does? Would any of the righteous types here tell a serious abused woman, sorry honey you can't divorce, sin doncha know. And is anyone here going to seriously suggest all they have to do is pray for restoration and God will fix it (like they haven't been praying 24/7 for years allready). Nope folks too many unanswered questions, and obvious conflicts, no one can know (as I said), but I do not think divorce is a sin.......and in fact entering and maintaining a marriage in violation of Biblical descriptions may be a sin in itself. People seem to forget a marriage ceremony does not make you married, humans do not have that power, God clearly stated it is his authority, and He marries us (ie knows our hearts), I think it is pretty obvious many marriages are not marriages at all, although they are secular contracts with a license from the state.

R
R
ditto ... I understand now and in acceptance mode. HE is a jelous one, I was a lost lamb. About 6 years ago I left HIM chase W's desire of $$$. I have my communion again last week, I kneel down and let HIM take me according HIS will. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] as a bonus my younger D wants to go to classes for baptism. My older D that use to avoid to go to church, she wants to go this weekend. They see me gain strength from HIM.<BR> [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img]

P
P
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goodguy:<BR><STRONG>Hi this question is for all of you as Christians who might know more about this than I do. Isn't it a sin to get a divorce? I know most people including myself are the BS, so we didn't have a choice in what happened. Does anyone know what the bible says about this? Quick question but hard to find an answer.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Read the following and detemine yourself:<A HREF="http://www.gospelcom.net/rbc/ds/q0806/q0806.html" TARGET=_blank>DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE: What Does The Bible Teach? </A>. I say yes because God hates divorce. Besides it was merely an appeasement for the hard hearted person that God allowed Moses to say that it was lawful to divorce your spouse for adultery. <P>Jesus taught that you shuld let the unbeliever leave which once the unbeliever remarries the believer is no longer obligated out of their love for God to seek reconciliation. I haven't recently reread the above article, but I'm almost certain that what I just wrote i included in the article. I did a lot of research when my W had her first adulterous relationship.

M
M
Rob,<P>Just wanted to say thanks for the link to that article. Gotta say I pretty much agree with it 100%.<P>Thanks and aloha,<BR>Ms.O

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,352 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation