Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nezi Offline OP
OP Offline
N
X and I split debt 50/50, now he has filed bankruptcy, but owes me tax refund. will i not receive my refund. and he gets off with his portion of the debts, while i still have to pay.

D
D
Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have any personal experience but have friends and relatives that do. I can't answer the question about the tax refund other than you may have to sue him to get it. I would be concerned about him filing bankruptcy if you have any joint debts. If he files and you still have joint debt this can adversely effect your credit. You may need to get a legal opinion on that. If you don't have any joint debt, while he may not have to pay off his debt, he will have the bankruptcy with him for 7 years which will severely impact his credit and prevent him from getting additional credit.

F
F
If you live in a community property state, regardles of whether the accounts are joint or not, the creditor will come after you for the money. If you do not live in a community property state you are responsible for any joint accounts/debt.

How/when did you file your tax return? Was it a joint return?

L
L
It's been more than year since I filed bk. I'm a little fuzzy on the details at this point, but for my situation, filing bk before divorce was the best option. I have extreme difficulty getting cooperation from my stbx. The following scenario was described to me... If the divorce happens first and debt is split 50/50, the credit card companies really don't care. For any account that has both names, the creditors would pursue both of us.

If I had filed divorce first, then bk, the result would be my name being removed from the jointly held accounts. The balance due would be unaffected. iow, if I filed bk first, a joint account with a $10,000 balance would become his singly held account with a balance of $10,000. What was my bargaining tool to get cooperation from my very uncooperative stbx is very bad news for you if your state is the same as mine (tx). I'm not sure how his filing bk would affect your credit rating post divorce, if at all, but you sure as heck need to get some legal counsel about the impact his bk has on the amount that you owe. Brace yourself for sticker shock.

R
R
Under federal bankruptcy rules debts to a former spouse that are considered support/alimony are not discharged in a bankruptcy. So IF the tax refund is categorized as such he'll still owe you that money.

Granted you still have to pay you half of the joint debts while his half may be discharged by the courts. I know it seems unfair but I wouldn't want to go through the bankruptcy process.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 610 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation