Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#780311 12/06/04 07:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
I'm on a roller-coaster. I'll tell you everything. I partied all through my twenty's leading a carefree life with no real accomplishments including getting two DUI's and a bankruptcy. I kept wishing I'd meet a good girl. At age 30 I found her. She's smart, attractive, can cook, etc... what most men are looking for. After 4 years of dating and increasing fighting we got married. We barely survived the honeymoon as she got extremely upset after she caught me looking at another woman on the street. We moved forward anyway and actually moved to another state where we are building a house now. I was recently diagnosed with ADD which can explain some of my habits that annoy her so much that we fight every other day. I'm a very go-with-the flow person and she's the opposite-organized, analyzing, etc... I'm trying to get better but I can attribute only so much to ADD. Her constant criticism and nit-picking and my cold replies are pushing us to the brink. How do you know when you just aren't right for each other?

#780312 12/07/04 02:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
I was hoping to get a reply. How do you know when you're just not right for one another? How long do you try to "change" before you know it's not working? Is it me? Will it be different with someone else? I'm just tired of the fighting. I'm driving this woman crazy by just being me and I don't know if I should set her- and me- free, ie:divorce. I don't want her to have a miserable life. One day we're shopping for a refrigerator and the next day she "hates" me and wishes she never met me". I want this roller coaster to stop. Three counselors and a priest and not much has changed. When do you quit?

#780313 12/07/04 03:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,199
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,199
It sounds like my life, including the ADD.
I can now say that my X must have been putting his best foot forward in the dating scene and then decided to stop being that person once we were married. His farce must have been difficult to maintain. And I did see signs, but ignored them due to love.
Are you doing the same? Are you doing the same things you did while you were dating to attract your wife? Are you meeting her emotional needs? If so, she'll want to meet yours.
Read the concepts on the site and decide if you want to make the changes to make your M work.
When people marry, we have expectations. Perhaps she expected you to be responsible, and you expected her to forget all of your faults.
Only you can identify and fix what is wrong - hopefully with communicating with your spouse.

#780314 12/07/04 04:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks for replying Newly. My wife saw the signs while dating but said that she had hope because I told her I'll try harder and I did, at least in my mind, but it still doesn't seem to be good enough. I know I'm a little crazy but in a good way. The ADD issues like impulsiveness, forgetfulness, etc... are driving my wife crazy and at age 35 I don't know if it's all ADD or because I'm still immature. Thank God we have no kids yet. I work from home making 6 figures so at least finances aren't an issue but I still get called "lazy, stupid, etc...." We are also far apart on where we want to live, West Coast vs. East Coast and career changes down the road which just make us both question if we are right for each other. We have bad communication and yes she expected me to be more responsible and mature and says I haven't stepped-up to the plate. Why can't she just loosen-up a bit? Do opposites really attract?


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Separation
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:24 PM
beverage sizes in large office
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:22 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0