Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81871 07/25/99 01:06 PM
I
OP Offline
I
<BR>Does anyone know what 'emotional infidelity' means? Where does one draw the line between a partners other relationships w/ friends in reference to the quality of one's own relationship? <P>Sincerely,<BR>emotional hog that loves a lot

#81872 08/11/99 11:55 PM
J
J
What do you mean by emotional infidelity? Are you speaking of when a person draws the line between a sexual affair and an affair of the heart? If so I may understand what you are talking about.

#81873 08/12/99 07:24 AM
R
RWD Offline
R
To me emotional infidelity is sharing every and all things with another person instead of your spouse. While its alright to share somethings with friends it is wrong to include them in everything and exclude the spouse.<BR>From my experience you should not be sharing with members of the oppposite sex, that is a ticking time bomb. <BR>I believe that is what happened with my wife.

#81874 08/13/99 12:32 AM
P
P
I think emotional infidelity means giving a part, and sharing a part of you to another member of the same sex, sharing things with them that you would normally only share with your husband/wife. It is a dangerous thing.

#81875 08/13/99 08:29 PM
J
J
I think of emotional infidelity is the fact that I would rather stay at work talking to<BR>a male co-worker than go home to my husband.<P>I enjoy going to work to be around him.<P>It emontional because I know I love this guy<BR>more than I ever loved my husband but it is<BR>not a physical relationship. <P>We are both married and do not want to <BR>cheat on our spouses.

#81876 08/15/99 08:16 PM
I
OP Offline
I
<BR>Is an affair of the heart not an 'affair'?<BR>I think the needs of both partners are equally important. Without compromise what one considers an affair of the heart could be <BR>disrespecting the sacred marital bond to another. It is important that two partners know each other very well before getting married. <P><BR>

#81877 08/16/99 05:31 AM
J
J
Inexperienced, <P>I agree it's important to know each other before getting married. My ex had a very unique way of excusing his sexual infidelities by saying it's only a sexual affair not an emotional one. "I love you I only #%^& them!" What woman in her right mind (excluding those who get paid for it) would have sex with a man consistently without being emotionally involved? Anyway, why are you asking?

#81878 08/17/99 07:31 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Being emotionally involved can mean just about anything. It can mean anything from a mild concern for the person you're sleeping with to an intense passion. If it is a mild concern only, then one is probably having too much sex and not enough heart. <P>ps-I'm here for the same reason everyone else is; to learn how to build a relationship without messing it up if that is even possible.

#81879 08/31/99 01:18 PM
J
J
My take on this: It can be quite painful when one partner takes the issues in their relationship away from the other, to someone else for comfort and reassurance. <P>I think this happens because we can sometimes be very critical of problems in our relationship, or uninterested, or too angry to tackle them, and drive the partner to find someone else. This also happens because the 'straying' partner is too afraid or unable to emotionally face the problems in a relationship. So they take them to someone else who, being their 'friend,' will be more sympathetic.<P>The 'friend' could be male or female as far as I am concerned, but I can see the problem getting really dangerous if it is a single or available member of the opposite sex involved.<P>When most or all the confiding and relationship problem solving is directed out of the relationship to the other person, I would say sound the alarm. That to me would be emotional infidelity. A kind of running away to get needs met, because the person isn't getting their needs met with the partner and not asking that partner to help them. I guess one solution would be to express feelings and needs calmly and non-abusively towards the other, and to show a desire to listen to what the 'straying' partner's needs might be that are not getting met, then to come up with solutions. My boyfriend and I sure as hell don't have this down right, but we are trying, quite aware that emotional infidelity could lead to events we'd rather not see for each other.<P>Good luck to all of you.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation